Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,378 members, 7,819,377 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:11 PM

Why's Nigeria So Cheap - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why's Nigeria So Cheap (2606 Views)

Why Nigeria Is Better Than The US - US-Based Nigerian Gives Reasons / Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria Is Better Than Canada / 6 Reasons Why Nigeria Is A Better Place To Live Than Foreign Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why's Nigeria So Cheap by Niceguy06: 3:56pm On Feb 11, 2023
Basically, everything is fucking cheap in Nigeria relative to other countries, especially the western countries I have been to. The rent I used to pay in the US for a month will literally buy two acres of land in Lagos, and the amount I spend on food when I went to the US is enough to last me for the whole year in Nigeria if I spend extravagantly. This is what I noticed over time. Is it because wages and salary are not that great in Nigeria or there are other reasons to This?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why's Nigeria So Cheap by fortunateme: 4:08pm On Feb 11, 2023
Niceguy06:
Basically, everything is fucking cheap in Nigeria relative to other countries, especially the western countries I have been to. The rent I used to pay in the US for a month will literally buy two acres of land in Lagos, and the amount I spend on food when I went to the US is enough to last me for the whole year in Nigeria if I spend extravagantly. This is what I noticed over time. Is it because wages and salary are not that great in Nigeria or there are other reasons to This?
Do you earn in naira? If no then you have no right to call or God cheap
Compare our cost of living to minimum wage. Quality of life here to that ur Us. Please don't poke us.

15 Likes

Re: Why's Nigeria So Cheap by olasaad(f): 4:14pm On Feb 11, 2023
Niceguy06:

Yes

2 Likes

Re: Why's Nigeria So Cheap by ednut1(m): 5:03pm On Feb 11, 2023
There are over 133m Nigerians living in poverty . If Nigeria was cheap to them they wont be poor. Stop comparing apples to oranges

21 Likes

Re: Why's Nigeria So Cheap by Geo4646: 5:42pm On Feb 11, 2023
Niceguy06:

Seeking attention, hunger never catch dis one b4. no be acres of land, nah d whole Nigeria u for buy. Mumu

19 Likes

Re: Why's Nigeria So Cheap by Niceguy06: 5:50pm On Feb 11, 2023
ednut1:
There are over 133m Nigerians living in poverty . If Nigeria was cheap to them they wont be poor. Stop comparing apples to oranges

I was only saying my own reality. Have the damn ball to talk about your own reality

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why's Nigeria So Cheap by Mindlog: 5:51pm On Feb 11, 2023
Niceguy06:

How much are you paying in monthly rent in the US, that can buy acres of Lagos?...Wake up!

4 Likes

Re: Why's Nigeria So Cheap by Niceguy06: 5:52pm On Feb 11, 2023
fortunateme:

Do you earn in naira? If no then you have no right to call or God cheap
Compare our cost of living to minimum wage. Quality of life here to that ur Us. Please don't poke us.
But the cost of living is too low in Nigeria. The lowest I've seen so far across The world. It's like everytime comes to us too cheap and high quality. What others pay for through their nose, we get it for free. We thank God for this, cuz it can only be God

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why's Nigeria So Cheap by Niceguy06: 5:52pm On Feb 11, 2023
Mindlog:

How much are you paying in monthly rent in the US, that can buy acres of Lagos?...Wake up!

I was paying $2750 in Phoenix back then

1 Like

Re: Why's Nigeria So Cheap by Niceguy06: 5:53pm On Feb 11, 2023
Geo4646:

Seeking attention, hunger never catch dis one b4. no be acres of land, nah d whole Nigeria u for buy. Mumu

Ok.
Re: Why's Nigeria So Cheap by fortunateme: 5:59pm On Feb 11, 2023
Niceguy06:

But the cost of living is too low in Nigeria. The lowest I've seen so far across The world. It's like everytime comes to us too cheap and high quality. What others pay for through their nose, we get it for free. We thank God for this, cuz it can only be God
Ok. Those countries you've been to what is their minimum wage? About 5times ours. Do we have same purchasing power? No.
Goods are cheap here because of low cost of production (labour) Almost all labourers are paid below what their counterpart abroad earn.
If cost where to be adjusted to suit the average minimum wage in the US, price will almost at power with the US.
You only enjoy 9ja of you earn in dollars and spend here.

6 Likes

Re: Why's Nigeria So Cheap by Mindlog: 6:00pm On Feb 11, 2023
Niceguy06:

And that can not even buy a half plot of land in some low end neighbourhoods in Lagos!🤣🤣🤣🤣

8 Likes

Re: Why's Nigeria So Cheap by franchasng: 6:21pm On Feb 11, 2023
Mindlog:

And that can not even buy a half plot of land in some low end neighbourhoods in Lagos!🤣🤣🤣🤣
It cannot buy quarter plot in Owerri cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Why's Nigeria So Cheap by franchasng: 6:23pm On Feb 11, 2023
Niceguy06:

This is equivalent to 1 year rent for a Duplex in some areas on Lagos Mainland and like 1 year rent for a 3bed flat in some estates in Lekki phase 1, its not even enough for an agent fee to buy half plot of land in most developed parts of Lagos Mainland grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why's Nigeria So Cheap by Niceguy06: 6:35pm On Feb 11, 2023
fortunateme:

Ok. Those countries you've been to what is their minimum wage? About 5times ours. Do we have same purchasing power? No.
Goods are cheap here because of low cost of production (labour) Almost all labourers are paid below what their counterpart abroad earn.
If cost where to be adjusted to suit the average minimum wage in the US, price will almost at power with the US.
You only enjoy 9ja of you earn in dollars and spend here.

How's the minimum wage in US 5* of Nigeria? Of what standard or measure did u gauge this on? Y'all say what you have no idea on
Re: Why's Nigeria So Cheap by Niceguy06: 6:37pm On Feb 11, 2023
franchasng:
This is equivalent to 1 year rent for a Duplex in some areas on Lagos Mainland and like 1 year rent for a 3bed flat in some estates in Lekki phase 1, its not even enough for an agent fee to buy half plot of land in most developed parts of Lagos Mainland grin

$33,000 for one year of rent while I was an expat in Phoenix AZ. Excluding utilities and other bills like electricity. What can $33,000 do in Nigeria? It can't still buy land in Lagos?
Re: Why's Nigeria So Cheap by fortunateme: 6:39pm On Feb 11, 2023
Niceguy06:

How's the minimum wage in US 5* of Nigeria? Of what standard or measure did u gauge this on? Y'all say what you have no idea on

What is the minimum wage in the state you reside?
Compare it to Nigeria's 30k and show us the difference.
Average minimum wage in New York is 14$ multiple this by 8hrs a day=112
Multiply by 5 days a week=560
Multiply by 4 =2240$ a month.
Multiply this by exchange rate of 450= roughly 1m
naira.
It will take a 9ja minimum wage wage worker at least 33 months to earn what his counterpart in NY earns in a month.
Please don't provoke me again oh.

11 Likes

Re: Why's Nigeria So Cheap by Niceguy06: 6:45pm On Feb 11, 2023
fortunateme:

I don't know what the minimum wage is now cus I left. But as at last year when I was there, the minimum wage in AZ was about 12bucks per hr.

1 Like

Re: Why's Nigeria So Cheap by franchasng: 6:50pm On Feb 11, 2023
Niceguy06:

$33,000 for one year of rent while I was an expat in Phoenix AZ. Excluding utilities and other bills like electricity. What can $33,000 do in Nigeria? It can't still buy land in Lagos?
$33,000 at black market exchange rate can sure buy a plot of land in some areas on the Lagos Mainland (excluding Ikeja, Ajao, Ago Palace, Oshodi, Gbagada, Surulere, Anthony, Ilupeju, Isolo, Amuwo, Festac, Satelite Town, Mile 2, Apapa, etc) but can never buy you a government documented land on Lagos Island reas like; Lekki phase 1 and 2, Ajah. Maybe from anywhere after Lagos Business School down to Epe you can buy 1 plot to 5 plots with it.
Re: Why's Nigeria So Cheap by fortunateme: 6:51pm On Feb 11, 2023
Niceguy06:

I don't know what the minimum wage is now cus I left. But as at last year when I was there, the minimum wage in AZ was about 12bucks per hr.

Please read my update above.
Re: Why's Nigeria So Cheap by fortunateme: 7:03pm On Feb 11, 2023
Niceguy06:

Sorry, my bad. US minimum wage is about 33 times more than ours. Using NY average of $14
Re: Why's Nigeria So Cheap by Niceguy06: 7:06pm On Feb 11, 2023
fortunateme:

Sorry, my bad. US minimum wage is about 33 times more than ours. Using NY average of $14

LoL. And the cost of gas, housing, food, electricity, water, and taxes in the US is the same as nigeria? You people compare shits without knowledge. The cost of electricity in a month in the US is enough to power an average home with electricity for two years. But then, everything to ridicule Nigeria is fine and welcome as long as it put nigeria in a bad light

3 Likes

Re: Why's Nigeria So Cheap by Juoflife1(f): 7:17pm On Feb 11, 2023
Nigeria is not cheap pls
Re: Why's Nigeria So Cheap by fortunateme: 8:18pm On Feb 11, 2023
Niceguy06:

LoL. And the cost of gas, housing, food, electricity, water, and taxes in the US is the same as nigeria? You people compare shits without knowledge. The cost of electricity in a month in the US is enough to power an average home with electricity for two years. But then, everything to ridicule Nigeria is fine and welcome as long as it put nigeria in a bad light
@bold
You people created the topic without knowledge of comparative study.

2 Likes

Re: Why's Nigeria So Cheap by Niceguy06: 8:23pm On Feb 11, 2023
fortunateme:

@bold
You people created the topic without knowledge of comparative study.

Ok. Expected you'll resort to that. Nigerians and dumb comparison.
Re: Why's Nigeria So Cheap by Niceguy06: 8:24pm On Feb 11, 2023
Juoflife1:
Nigeria is not cheap pls

Cheaper than at least 80% of all the countries of the world combined. The only problem I have with Nigeria is insecurities, otherwise, Nigeria is good, at least to me and my family

2 Likes

Re: Why's Nigeria So Cheap by fortunateme: 8:36pm On Feb 11, 2023
Niceguy06:

Ok. Expected you'll resort to that. Nigerians and dumb comparison.
Resort to what? To what you just did. I quoted you almost verbatim.
Again, Nigerians with dumb comparison.
You want to compare the prices of good here with US with our comparing the purchasing power?

1 Like

Re: Why's Nigeria So Cheap by Blingchic(f): 9:54pm On Feb 11, 2023
You guys really have time to be engaging a troll 🚶🏾‍♀️🚶🏾‍♀️

2 Likes

Re: Why's Nigeria So Cheap by Chasemaduka: 10:16pm On Feb 11, 2023
this calculation is so wrong.

minimum wages in a month in nigeria is #30,000 ($40)

in the US is $7.25 per hour.
fortunateme:

Average minimum wage in New York is 14$ multiple this by 8hrs a day=112
Multiply by 5 days a week=560
Multiply by 4 =2240$ a month.
Multiply this by exchange rate of 450= roughly 1m
naira.
It will take a 9ja minimum wage wage worker at least 33 months to earn what his counterpart in NY earns in a month.
Please don't provoke me again oh.
Re: Why's Nigeria So Cheap by Chasemaduka: 10:19pm On Feb 11, 2023
if you are seeking attention, look for a girl to give it to you.

dont be stupid. nigeria one of the most expensive country to live in the world.

try dey get sense.

Niceguy06:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why's Nigeria So Cheap by Niceguy06: 10:31pm On Feb 11, 2023
Chasemaduka:

try dey get sense.

Can you see how confused you are? Is the price of food, housing, gas, bills the same for both countries? Seriously, Nigerians have it way too easy, since everything is free. Education; free. Food; cheap. That's why her youth don't know how to give thanks. Had it been we have it rough like most countries, you'll know whatsup
Re: Why's Nigeria So Cheap by Niceguy06: 10:55pm On Feb 11, 2023
Chasemaduka:

try dey get sense.

Like I said, ignorance is affecting Nigerians. Y'all have never even been to the airport before.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Do Nigerians Think Of America ? / The University Of Bedfordshire. / Will Our Application To Visit The Uk Be Accepted.candid Opinion From The Experts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.