Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,840 members, 7,817,490 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:05 PM

Have You Worked In A Family Owned Business? Share Your Experience - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Have You Worked In A Family Owned Business? Share Your Experience (8781 Views)

Who Knows About Or Have Worked With This Company? / Have You Worked In The Same Place With A Married Couple? / The Ice Cream Sales Business - Share Your Merits And Challenges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Worked In A Family Owned Business? Share Your Experience by usmanktg2(m): 3:53pm On Feb 13, 2023
If you're not opportuned to own the business, you will never know the struggle.
As owners, We are always the last people to sleep and first to wake up. You live life for others. The worst part is not all appreciate that.
Employees will only know their right and don't care about yours.
Indeed, The reward of the employers is only left to God.
Re: Have You Worked In A Family Owned Business? Share Your Experience by tessbadmos(m): 4:31pm On Feb 13, 2023
Dm for a business Executive job. Experienced Graduate only.
Re: Have You Worked In A Family Owned Business? Share Your Experience by DanielPop(m): 4:32pm On Feb 13, 2023
Years ago, i did. I loved it but had to move on because the man has a mind that changes every step he takes. But the drive for success is exhilarating! Omon you are on your toes to prove that you are capable of adding value!
QuinModah:
A family business is a business incorporated by MD and the wife is the deputy managing director, the daughter the customer care service representative and the son the operations manager.

What's your experience like?
Was it worth it?
Kindly share your experience

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Worked In A Family Owned Business? Share Your Experience by uzoormah(m): 5:40pm On Feb 13, 2023
I'm currently working in one right now.. very horrible

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Worked In A Family Owned Business? Share Your Experience by Oyerinde16(m): 5:41pm On Feb 13, 2023
I had just gotten a contract job in MTN, after 3 months, I went on leave and resumed in my uncle's biz, the plan was "not to return to MTN" I was working as the store manager, same salary, but was shocked when I heard they were owing 2-3 months salary... I cannot can't... I left without resigning after 3weeks, I resumed back 1 week late at MTN... I can never forget my then boss (TL) He covered for me all through the 1 week I resumed late... MTN salary then landed on the 24th, I can bet my balls on it...

3 Likes

Re: Have You Worked In A Family Owned Business? Share Your Experience by Oyerinde16(m): 6:00pm On Feb 13, 2023
I worked in a school in port Harcourt owned by one man and his wife...

When I joined the man's biz was crumbling from wicked employees stealing and looting.

I started working to correct the anomalies, then they began to gang up, sabotaging my every move, I wasn't deterred,

I was the Principal Admin, head of all school administrative operations, from managing school buses to tuck shop to supplies, school site, ICT room etc... But

The principal was a pain in the ass, she took the accountant to another office room in the school so she could manipulate her, she lied to the director that parent's coming to pay will have easy access this and that, the director bought it... She did not allow me check the account books, saying she had checked it and it was intact, a unit under me... She would go to Onitsha to buy materials, books, school uniform etc, all in a bid to steal.

She was ordering for diesel and petrol, this were under my office, but since she was my immediate boss... She tried to buy me over but I refused.

The day her secret would have being exposed...

She travelled to owerri with the kids on a Friday and did not return on time, the director asked me to go get the diesel for next week, I took 164k but ended up getting it for 124k meaning she stole 40k every week from diesel alone...

I did not tell the director, when she returned, she asked who went to get the diesel and they said it was me, she came to asked me how much I bought and I told her, she asked of the balance, I said it was with me, she asked me to keep it and not remit to the director... We had a lot of ups and down service was up and I left, the school crashed about 3 months after I left... I was literarily holding the school together ...

She sacked all the staffs under my department that were loyal to me and only left those that were loyal to her and ready to sabotage me, she ensured everything going wrong in the school was linked to me and blamed everything on me, the director knew this wasn't true and refused to sack me, she once advice me to resign if I could not handle the heat... I had my game plan...

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have You Worked In A Family Owned Business? Share Your Experience by HumbleOptimist(m): 8:52pm On Feb 13, 2023
usmanktg2:
As owners, We are always the last people to sleep and first to wake up. You live life for others. The worst part is not all appreciate that.
Great
Re: Have You Worked In A Family Owned Business? Share Your Experience by Eastcoastboy(m): 10:30am On Feb 16, 2023
iyke2ken:
It started great. I started in the customer service department, and after a while, I was tasked with managing that and also supervising a unit of the operations team. It was supposed to be some sort of promotion for the good work done so far

And that was where the wahala started. About a year later, I submitted a notice of resignation, and left after two weeks.

I dey find work now Sha lol. I am a graduate of Communications, and I have years of work experience in customer service/relations and logistics and transportation.

Why you leave without getting another job
Re: Have You Worked In A Family Owned Business? Share Your Experience by Eastcoastboy(m): 10:35am On Feb 16, 2023
Killbillz:
Yea.. handled a part of my dad's business immediately after school. Although I was in a lot of money some idiots who wanted favour were spying on me and casting my business inside his business. I was full of energy, I made sure the whole thing ran smoothly and I was actually making triple returns weekly than the previous manager. Bursting the target set, running the drivers and ensuring all the trucks were in good shape without asking him for a dime. On top of it I triple quadrupled the clientele base... Even took it interstate. But old man no still let me breath.
Most times he just overides my decision with his authority making me look stupid before some clients who were due to be served, rather he would make me serve some others because they're his friends of friends. I work with money and booking on a first come first serve basis but then pops go just call from house and give instructions which I can't overlook.
It got to a point I couldn't take it anymore and I just quit cos it was even causing a strain on my relationship with him. The moment I left that part of his business crumbled due to poor management. If only he would allow me free reign. Family business sweet sha but it has its downsides. I'm not cut out for that.

See as you allow family bread soak.

Nawa for you!
Re: Have You Worked In A Family Owned Business? Share Your Experience by Pojomojo: 12:08am On Feb 18, 2023
No
Re: Have You Worked In A Family Owned Business? Share Your Experience by Newyorkitis(m): 7:25am On Feb 18, 2023
Yes....... The main thing has to do with delay in salary payment.
They will still be flexing to no end till even on 7th or 8th of the new month.
You gotta find a way to remind them that you've not been paid.

1 Like

Re: Have You Worked In A Family Owned Business? Share Your Experience by QuinModah(f): 3:21am On Feb 21, 2023
usmanktg2:
True

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Ways Foreign Trained Graduates Can Get Jobs Easily / First Bank Is Recruiting Ond And Nce Holders For Tellering Positions / PZ Cussons Calling!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.