Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,898 members, 7,821,126 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:41 AM

Reason For The Dislike Of The Igbos: Highly Educative - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reason For The Dislike Of The Igbos: Highly Educative (891 Views)

APC Holds Rally In Abuja Today, PDP Shifts Event No Reason For Action / "Nigeria Is Better Without The Igbos" - Alaba Ajibola, Babcock University Staff / What The Igbos Can Learn From The Yorubas - By Joe Igbokwe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reason For The Dislike Of The Igbos: Highly Educative by LocalStandard1(m): 9:52am On Feb 12, 2023
Many people accredite and agree the dislike and hatred for the Igbos in Nigeria is caused by the civil war. Many people continue to carry the notion that they started the civil war thus the hatred.

But it has been more than fifty(50+) years since the civil war. More people now are being killed by a particular tribe codenamed "BANDITS" than the Igbos ever even did, yet not much bitterness is put on them as the Igbos even till now. Rwanda is a country of only about 13 million today, as at thirty years ago at the time of the genocide they were about half the population yet about 800,000 people were killed. Today, there is not only a total reconciliation there but Rwanda has moved on to be one of the very fastest growing economies in Africa. The cleanest, less corrupttion!

So why does Nigeria still carry it's hate on a peaceful ethnic group? Peaceful cause as someone from Kaduna State, Southern Kaduna, I have never experienced or even heard of an ethnic clash between the Igbo settlers and a Middle Belt tribe before.

So I theorized the issue is not because of the civil war but the civil war is only a symptom of the real matter in contention. And I continued to ask till I discovered this very wonderful video on YouTube. It gives a clear, good picture to the root cause, if you see it that way.

It's tittled "The hatred behind Jews, Igbos, and Chinese Explained by Thomas Sowell"

This video has answered my long questions and probably many others perfectly well. Especially now as the elections draw near and the questions seems very rife.

Keyword: Middle Men!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GWzzBm4ixQ&t=39s

2 Likes

Re: Reason For The Dislike Of The Igbos: Highly Educative by AdaojoTheUrchin: 9:57am On Feb 12, 2023
Who cares about who urchins dislike or like?

Igbo have contributed to national pride in all sphere of life- Science, sports, education, international diplomacy, literature etc. you name it.

Now tell me what Thievnuubu agbero urchins have contributed apart from violent thuggery and owomida merchandise? grin

Abeg allow urchins to kill themselves and save us some vital fresh air. Oxygen plants are getting expensive.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reason For The Dislike Of The Igbos: Highly Educative by LocalStandard1(m): 9:58am On Feb 12, 2023
If you hunger for knowledge like I do, if you really really hunger to feed your curiosity and brain, watch the video. Borrow DATA and watch, and be enlightened!

1 Like

Re: Reason For The Dislike Of The Igbos: Highly Educative by LocalStandard1(m): 10:00am On Feb 12, 2023
AdaojoTheUrchin:
Who cares about who urchins dislike or like?

Igbo have contributed to national pride in all sphere of life- Science, sports, education, international diplomacy, literature etc. you name it.

Now tell me what Thievnuubu agbero urchins have contributed apart from violent thuggery and owomida merchandise? grin

Abeg allow urchins to kill themselves and save us some vital fresh air. Oxygen plants are getting expensive.

Hello bro! How far? Please don't let those people come here, not now. I want this thread to be educative and interactive, bringing them here will turn it into a tribal warfare.

Please don't! Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Reason For The Dislike Of The Igbos: Highly Educative by Yorubalandlord(m): 10:05am On Feb 12, 2023
Wow.
I like this.
Keep it up bro

1 Like

Re: Reason For The Dislike Of The Igbos: Highly Educative by obailala(m): 10:11am On Feb 12, 2023
LocalStandard1:
Many people accredite and agree the dislike and hatred for the Igbos in Nigeria is caused by the civil war. Many people continue to carry the notion that they started the civil war thus the hatred.

But it has been more than fifty(50+) years since the civil war. More people now are being killed by a particular tribe codenamed "BANDITS" than the Igbos ever even did, yet not much bitterness is put on them as the Igbos even till now. Rwanda is a country of only about 13 million today, as at thirty years ago at the time of the genocide they were about half the population yet about 800,000 people were killed. Today, there is not only a total reconciliation there but Rwanda has moved on to be one of the very fastest growing economies in Africa. The cleanest, less corrupttion!

So why does Nigeria still carry it's hate on a peaceful ethnic group? Peaceful cause as someone from Kaduna State, Southern Kaduna, I have never experienced or even heard of an ethnic clash between the Igbo settlers and a Middle Belt tribe before.

So I theorized the issue is not because of the civil war but the civil war is only a symptom of the real matter in contention. And I continued to ask till I discovered this very wonderful video on YouTube. It gives a clear, good picture to the root cause, if you see it that way.

It's tittled "The hatred behind Jews, Igbos, and Chinese Explained by Thomas Sowell"

This video has answered my long questions and probably many others perfectly well. Especially now as the elections draw near and the questions seems very rife.

The real reason Igbos are hated all across Nigeria is cos Igbos 'show off' way too much; in the words of Chinua Achebe, he described it as "noisy exhibitionism".

When a person brags too much, he/she naturally invites envy, which very easily progresses to hatred. This is more so if the thing the person brags about is revealed to be true. Unfortunately, this is Igbo culture, and it wouldnt be changing any time soon.

3 Likes

Re: Reason For The Dislike Of The Igbos: Highly Educative by LocalStandard1(m): 10:14am On Feb 12, 2023
obailala:
The real reason Igbos are hated all across Nigeria is cos Igbos 'show off' way too much; in the words of Chinua Achebe, he described it as "noisy exhibitionism".

When a person brags too much, he/she naturally invites envy, which very easily progresses to hatred. This is more so if the thing the person brags about is revealed to be true.

This post is not for people like you. Thank you!
Re: Reason For The Dislike Of The Igbos: Highly Educative by obailala(m): 10:16am On Feb 12, 2023
LocalStandard1:

This post is not for people like you. Thank you!
Care to explain?

On the contrary, the post I made while looking simplistic, was probably too deep for you to understand; it flew over your head.
Re: Reason For The Dislike Of The Igbos: Highly Educative by VinnyBaba: 10:20am On Feb 12, 2023
OP, Forget ur Explanations!

Most YORUBAS hatred for Igbos is like the one SOUTH AFRICANS has for Nigerians! sad

Borne out of ENVY! undecided embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Reason For The Dislike Of The Igbos: Highly Educative by LocalStandard1(m): 10:20am On Feb 12, 2023
obailala:
Care to explain?

On the contrary, the post I made while looking simplistic, was probably too deep for you to understand; it flew over your head.

This is for those who are willing to drop the prejudice, drop the hate, drop the tribalism and seek to learn and improve. Not you. Bye!

1 Like

Re: Reason For The Dislike Of The Igbos: Highly Educative by christistruth01: 10:20am On Feb 12, 2023
grin
Re: Reason For The Dislike Of The Igbos: Highly Educative by LocalStandard1(m): 10:23am On Feb 12, 2023
Please no one should answer or reply tribalists and haters here. They seem attracted to the post already. Thank you!

1 Like

Re: Reason For The Dislike Of The Igbos: Highly Educative by ImperialYoruba: 10:30am On Feb 12, 2023
Ibo hates himself first, then he blames his hatred for his fellows on others and seek to solicit their intervention in his self-hatred. When ignored, he attacks and laments and makes enemy with others.

For example, Osus are hated by fellow Ibos. To escape the stigmatism and hatred Osus escaped iboland to go live in Yorubaland where discrimination is frowned upon. Once settled in Yorubaland, the Osu now sees Yoruba as enemy and pours his hatred on his hosts.

1 Like

Re: Reason For The Dislike Of The Igbos: Highly Educative by obailala(m): 10:35am On Feb 12, 2023
LocalStandard1:

This is for those who are willing to drop the prejudice, drop the hate, drop the tribalism and seek to learn and improve. Not you. Bye!
Obailala, tribalist? Obailala hates who exactly? What a resounding joke!

You opened a thread asking a life long pertinent question on why Igbos are disliked. I gave you a short, blunt, deep and factual response which captures the essense of it all; but it obviously went over your head, so you quickly dismissed and tagged it "hatred and tribalism".

You say the thread is for those willing to learn, but you don't seem mature enough or possess the requisite intellectually soundness to entertain opposing views, including those you can actually learn from; you probably only want responses that massage your ego.

If it helps your prejudices, I am an Igbo man myself, and the response I gave was a direct extract from Chinua Achebe's final publishing - There Was A Country! (I've attached an excerpt below - If you're truly willing to learn as you claim, I can send a PDF copy of the book). I'm guessing in your interpretation, the 82 year old Achebe was also a tribalist who hated Igbos?

Anyway, I guess the joke is really on me for erroneously thinking it was a mature thread open for deep conversations. So I would be taking my leave, BYE!

2 Likes

Re: Reason For The Dislike Of The Igbos: Highly Educative by HenryWilliams(m): 11:59am On Feb 12, 2023
obailala:
Obailala, tribalist? Obailala hates who exactly? What a resounding joke!

You opened a thread asking a life long pertinent question on why Igbos are disliked. I gave you a short, blunt, deep and factual response which captures the essense of it all; but it obviously went over your head, so you quickly dismissed and tagged it "hatred and tribalism".

You say the thread is for those willing to learn, but you don't seem mature enough or possess the requisite intellectually soundness to entertain opposing views, including those you can actually learn from; you probably only want responses that massage your ego.

If it helps your prejudices, I am an Igbo man myself, and the response I gave was a direct extract from Chinua Achebe's final publishing - There Was A Country! (I've attached an excerpt below - If you're truly willing to learn as you claim, I can send a PDF copy of the book). I'm guessing in your interpretation, the 82 year old Achebe was also a tribalist who hated Igbos?

Anyway, I guess the joke is really on me for erroneously thinking it was a mature thread open for deep conversations. So I would be taking my leave, BYE!

Can I have the link to the PDF copy?
So much appreciated..
Re: Reason For The Dislike Of The Igbos: Highly Educative by ImmaculateJOE(m): 12:27pm On Feb 12, 2023
HenryWilliams:

Can I have the link to the PDF copy?
So much appreciated..
Me too
Re: Reason For The Dislike Of The Igbos: Highly Educative by tunjiajayi: 12:32pm On Feb 12, 2023
Igbos are hateful People.

Very hateful People.

1 Like

Re: Reason For The Dislike Of The Igbos: Highly Educative by gidgiddy: 12:51pm On Feb 12, 2023
LocalStandard1:

Two points to be made here:

1) Igbos did not start any war. Igbos declared Biafra and went their way. Someone who wants to go their way is someone who does not want trouble. It is Nigeria that came to fight war in the east against those that went their way

2) Those who hate Igbos are the same people who will be ready to fight another war if Igbos declare Biafra again and go their way

The question then is, what sort of crazy people fight war to be with people they hate?

2 Likes

Re: Reason For The Dislike Of The Igbos: Highly Educative by Lipscomb(m): 12:55pm On Feb 12, 2023
The father of tribalism in Nigeria was chinus achebe. Although we know the civil war introduce Nigerians to sentiment and tribalism. But a lot of us that haven't born those time never carry it on head like this old man called achebe.

1 Like

Re: Reason For The Dislike Of The Igbos: Highly Educative by Neckpresser101: 12:59pm On Feb 12, 2023
obailala:

When a person brags too much, he/she naturally invites envy, which very easily progresses to hatred. This is more so if the thing the person brags about is revealed to be true. Unfortunately, this is Igbo culture, and it wouldnt be changing any time soon.

So envy is the problem?

Why envy people you gave 20 pounds after the war tho? 🤔

1 Like

Re: Reason For The Dislike Of The Igbos: Highly Educative by Neckpresser101: 1:01pm On Feb 12, 2023
Lipscomb:
The father of tribalism in Nigeria was chinus achebe. Although we know the civil war introduce Nigerians to sentiment and tribalism. But a lot of us that haven't born those time never carry it on head like this old man called achebe.
I agree because he's igbo.

What do you have to say about AWOLOWOS 20 pounds

I guess it's an act of patriotism
Re: Reason For The Dislike Of The Igbos: Highly Educative by onyeabia: 1:21pm On Feb 12, 2023
Untill we learn to love one another the world will not be a better place for us

1 Like

Re: Reason For The Dislike Of The Igbos: Highly Educative by Lipscomb(m): 1:49pm On Feb 12, 2023
Oh dont be ungrateful Awolowo20 pound turn many igbos to a billionaire today. The 20 pound helpeda lot of igbo do you know how north fought Awolowo because of this 20 pound?

You should also know that as at the time of the disbursement of the money almost all Nigerians need money. But they only gave to igbos.
Neckpresser101:

I agree because he's igbo.

What do you have to say about AWOLOWOS 20 pounds

I guess it's an act of patriotism

Re: Reason For The Dislike Of The Igbos: Highly Educative by femisplash: 2:01pm On Feb 12, 2023
You killed leaders of other tribes but want to go. You destroyed regionalism but want to go away.. Lol. Ibo sense.. una go stay here enjoy it together.

1 Like

Re: Reason For The Dislike Of The Igbos: Highly Educative by Neckpresser101: 3:22pm On Feb 12, 2023
Lipscomb:
Oh dont be ungrateful Awolowo20 pound turn many igbos to a billionaire today. The 20 pound helpeda lot of igbo do you know how north fought Awolowo because of this 20 pound?

You should also know that as at the time of the disbursement of the money almost all Nigerians need money. But they only gave to igbos.
They fought him because it wasn't right! Give people their money!
20 pounds made who billionaires ?

What a looser he was! then after helping northerners he's trying to impress he lost and election and died as a loser he was! He'd be totally happy to see that erudite like yorubas he gave free education left osibanjo and fashola and be supporting a microphone licking senile old guy with no actual identity who was chairman and the former of a party that reduced naira from 200 to 700 within 8 years as finance minister he'll be

very proud
very proud

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Oduduwa Republic Agitators Storm Downing Street, London - Pictures / Labour Party Robbed Me Of Votes, Should Accept Being Cheated - SDP's Adewole / Judicial Terms In Court Proceedings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.