Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,307 members, 7,819,046 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:29 AM

Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City (1677 Views)

Explosion Rocks Drinking Joint In Kogi. 3 Feared Dead, Many Injured (Pictures) / Hoodlums Clash In Mushin & Surulere Lagos: 3 Feared Dead, Shops Looted / Uwaila Omozuwa: Protest Rocks Benin Over Rape, Murder Of UNIBEN Student (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by Antoeni(m): 3:12pm On Feb 15, 2023
Three persons were on Wednesday feared dead in Benin City following the spontaneous protest that engulfed several parts of Benin over Naira redesign policy by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

The protesters blocked Ring Road, Akpakpava Road, Ramat Park, Five Junction by Urubi, Ugbowo road, Ekehuna road and the adjoining streets Benin causing heavy traffic gridlock.

The angry protesters made burn fires on the roads and attacked commercial banks in the area.

It however took the intervention of the military personnel who in troops drove across the State capital to serve the situation.

The protesters, despite the presence of the security personnel, regrouped and became more violent leading to the alleged killings of three persons by security operatives.

Speaking to our correspondent at the scene of the protest, Godwin Osemwingie, said he was so frustrated when he went out to buy things with his old naira notes but was told by the seller that the old naira notes were no longer acceptable in the country.

“The problem right now is that we went to bank to deposit my old naira notes, they said they are not accepting it and even the bus drivers are also rejecting it.

“You cannot buy anything. I just went to the Bank, look at the money (displaying the old naira noted before our correspondent), this is Nigeria money and they are rejecting it. How do they want us to survive? We can’t buy and we can’t sell.

“Even the CBN has rejected the old money from us, why? That is why we are protesting.

“Look, all these money in my hands are now wasted. We can’t even board vehicle now. We need our old money back. I am going to Upper Sakponba and I want to trek to the place now, no money,” Osemwingie said.

Another respondent, Osasere Enadaghe, said he just went to change his 50 Euro with the assurance that the old and new naira notes can co-exist but was disappointed when the old naira notes were rejected.

“What I see in this place now is very typical for us. We are passing through a difficult times. We don’t know where we are going or where we are coming from.

“I am just coming from Upper Sakponba this morning to change my money and before changing it, they told me that they collect both the old and the new money.

“So, I went to the market to buy things but I was told that the cannot collect the old naira notes.

“I just changed fifth Euro this morning and I was given N30,000 old naira notes and the money is just a waste in my hand. What am I going to do with the money now?” He asked rhetorically.

For Precious Oruche, she went to the CBN along Akpakpava Road to deposit her old naira notes but she and others were driven out by security agents attached to the bank.

“It is frustrating. We did not see new money and we didn’t see old money. The little ones we have, you said deadline and now that we want to return it, the CBN said no way.

“It feels that the government has bent on frustrating Nigerians on a daily basis. Okay, I want to buy pure water, we I make a transfer of N10 to the seller and if the person accepts, what about the internet issues?

“People you see protesting, they really don’t want it but they are frustrated, Nigerians are frustrated, they have to stop.

“The people that they said they are doing it for, they have banks.

“So it is the poor masses that are suffering it. We are calling on the Nigerian government to make a fast U-turn before things go over board

“The CBN is no longer accepting the old naira notes. We have been here since morning.

“They gave us forms to fill and later use the security personnel attached to the bank to ask us to leave. That is why the people got angry,” Oruche said.

Contacting the Public Relations Officer of the Edo State Police Command, SP Chidi Nwabuzor for comment on the number of deaths resulting from the protest, he said it was too premature for him to speak on the matter.

https://tribuneonlineng.com/naira-scarcity-3-feared-dead-as-protest-rocks-benin-city/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1676469829

1 Like

Re: Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by Acidosis(m): 3:12pm On Feb 15, 2023
ahh...

Benin people should try and be calm abeg. All these destructions and killing won't draw Buhari's attention. COVID-19 ravaged Nigerians and for two months, Buhari refused to say a word. ASUU was on strike and Buhari waited until the 7th month to say a word.

You people should try to embrace peace and take your anger to the ballot. That man called Buhari and his bullion van kingmaker are agents of darkness. The only thing you can do is to approach the ballot like your life depends on it.

6 Likes

Re: Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by Antoeni(m): 3:13pm On Feb 15, 2023
Benin- city Edo State, No Dey Take Nonsense

3 Likes

Re: Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by tamdun: 3:14pm On Feb 15, 2023

1 Like

Re: Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by goodnessme1(f): 3:14pm On Feb 15, 2023
East should not join this kind of protest

6 Likes

Re: Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by Nightwolf1: 3:14pm On Feb 15, 2023
APC and Bingohari must be sent packing on 25th.

1 Like

Re: Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by inoki247: 3:15pm On Feb 15, 2023
Some fools are still playing politics with this and telling us is SW and APC state that's been affected nd protesting that the protest is been sponsored by politicians...

Derr Governor beta come out and calm the citizens mak the state no too burn far bkuz e wan play politics with stupid policy's....

4 Likes

Re: Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by Racoon(m): 3:16pm On Feb 15, 2023
No riot in Kaduna, Kano or any northern state for now.This is their plans - instigate riots while using the northern governors who never opposed many of the Buhari anti-human policies as smokescreen because the end game is to get the BH terrorist kingpin VP designate as president.

However, they so much see the naira swap or change as a threat till they even sued the same APC-controllled FG in the SC. It is now a fight between the ruling APC and the presidency-seeking APC They have failed already.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by Sammy07: 3:16pm On Feb 15, 2023
angry

Propaganda,
Tinubu newspaper.
This news is false, we stand with CBN.

banks are dispensing new notes all over the country

6 Likes

Re: Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by Phoen1X: 3:17pm On Feb 15, 2023
Nobody is worth dying for this tinubu's greed induced policy madness...i will join when i see seyi tinubu there.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by Godfullsam(m): 3:19pm On Feb 15, 2023
Antoeni:
Benin- city Edo State, No Dey Take Nonsense

They have taken nonsense this time around!

There can't be more nonsense than killing yourselves over national issues that you can't control.

1 Like

Re: Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by Antoeni(m): 3:19pm On Feb 15, 2023
Akwai Problem
Re: Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by Clevite(m): 3:20pm On Feb 15, 2023
But their Governor has joined the case at the Supreme Court as a Respondent to defend the Federal Government and the CBN. To him, his States people can crush to death under the hardships of the Naira policy. He doesn't send them.

1 Like

Re: Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by DeLaRue: 3:22pm On Feb 15, 2023
This morning, I saw about 50 frustrated men and women standing in front of the Central Bank entrance. They looked so forlorn and helpless.

About 20 stern looking riot police men was standing a few yards away watching the gathering crowd.

There were no forms in sight despite Emefiele saying people should go to Central Bank offices to fill forms.

There must be tens of millions of people who still have old notes, yet to my knowledge, most states in Nigeria have just one CBN office. If all the millions of people turn up to fill forms, how will these offices cope

No other country in the world would treat its citizens like this.

Also, will CBN change the currency before every future election?

Absolutely crazy.

5 Likes

Re: Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by Aldol: 3:22pm On Feb 15, 2023
goodnessme1:
East should not join this kind of protest
Have you seen east protest injustice before? No because they are slaves and what do you expect from people who kill their brothers and sisters, denies their people from business on Mondays just to hurt Buhari....Even if you all die you wouldn't bother since it will hurt Tinubu. God forbid power is handed to people with this type of ideology

3 Likes

Re: Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by Godfullsam(m): 3:23pm On Feb 15, 2023
Racoon:
No riot in Kaduna, Kano or any northern state for now.This is their plans - instigate riots while using the northern governors who never opposed many of the many Buhari anti-human policies as smokescreen because the end game is to get the BH terrorist kingpin VP designate as president.

However, they only see the naira swap or change as a threat till they even sue same APC-controllled FG in the SC. It is now a fight between the ruling APC and the presidency-seeking APC They have failed already.

If riot had erupted in these northern states, people like you will still complain that it was planned so that election can be postponed.

3 Likes

Re: Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by aylive02(m): 3:25pm On Feb 15, 2023
This is what the APC-led Government has caused. It shall not be well with anyone who votes this party again. 20 chief urchins can quote me.
Re: Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by KingsCity: 3:25pm On Feb 15, 2023
tamdun:

So if we did the wrong thing four years ago we must continue doing it?
Re: Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by Faiththatworks(m): 3:25pm On Feb 15, 2023
Asiwaju Bola Tinubu for president,Sen. Gov Kassim Shettima for Vice president.
2023 is a goalllllllllll
PETER OBI WILL NOT WIN THE ELECTION,TRY AGAIN IN 2027.
I said it some weeks ago,and I will repeat it again,Emethiefole will lead Nigeria down a path of violence never seen before in this country with his terroristic, animalistic,barbaric, satanic and devilish currency confistication policy.
It has already started with his silence on the rejection of the old Naira.
Baba Buhari should know he will be held responsible for whoever dies as a result of the financial terroristic policy of Emethiefole,the same masses he claims he's trying to protect from bad leaders are prepared to die protesting against the same government for withholding their money.
What an irony.
There Re many things wrong with Nigeria,but the craziest was when Emethiefole began to see himself as the person to safeguard the democracy of The country.
The CBN has now taken on the role of ICPC,EFCC and the police In making and enforcing policy to stop vote buying,when did vote buying become a business of the central bank.
Let Emethiefole respect himself and issue a statement allowing the old currency continue in circulation.
God bless Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by FreeStuffsNG: 3:26pm On Feb 15, 2023
Stop the violence please.

Election holds in 10 days. You should all come out en masse to vote for Asiwaju. Only Asiwaju can stop them from turning your old notes into tissue paper..
Once Asiwaju wins, old notes will remain till December 2023 and Emefiele will be fired.
check my signature for free stuffs!

4 Likes

Re: Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by famology(m): 3:33pm On Feb 15, 2023
And the useless obaseki said Edo State is not affected by the policy. Big fool!
They've been insulting him since morning. Market women were calling him hausa goat in their protest this morning. MUMU man

2 Likes

Re: Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by Antoeni(m): 3:34pm On Feb 15, 2023
As it Now, it’s Only Peter Obi That Can Truly Change & Turn Things Around For Better & Good

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by famology(m): 3:36pm On Feb 15, 2023
Racoon:
No riot in Kaduna, Kano or any northern state for now.This is their plans - instigate riots while using the northern governors who never opposed many of the many Buhari anti-human policies as smokescreen because the end game is to get the BH terrorist kingpin VP designate as president.

However, they only see the naira swap or change as a threat till they even sue same APC-controllled FG in the SC. It is now a fight between the ruling APC and the presidency-seeking APC They have failed already.

Just shut up
Their governors are more proactive. Can't you see what they've been doing? MUMU instead calling out your non challant governor you're pointing fingers at others who are doing the needful in their states.

4 Likes

Re: Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by DeLaRue: 3:38pm On Feb 15, 2023
famology:
And the useless obaseki said Edo State is not affected by the policy. Big fool!
They've been insulting him since morning. Market women were calling him hausa goat in their protest this morning. MUMU man

The Governor event went to court this morning to support the policy.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by famology(m): 3:38pm On Feb 15, 2023
Sammy07:
angry

Propaganda,
Tinubu newspaper.
This news is false, we stand with CBN.

banks are dispensing new notes all over the country

May your siblings be killed and their deaths called fake news.

1 Like

Re: Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by goodnessme1(f): 3:45pm On Feb 15, 2023
Aldol:

Have you seen east protest injustice before? No because they are slaves and what do you expect from people who kill their brothers and sisters, denies their people from business on Mondays just to hurt Buhari....Even if you all die you wouldn't bother since it will hurt Tinubu. God forbid power is handed to people with this type of ideology

Trash
Re: Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by Aldol: 3:50pm On Feb 15, 2023
goodnessme1:

Trash
Truth is better

2 Likes

Re: Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by Antoeni(m): 3:50pm On Feb 15, 2023
Those Who have Lost Their Lives Won’t Join to See The New Nigeria When Peter Takes Over

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by BATified2023: 3:58pm On Feb 15, 2023
Phoen1X:
Nobody is worth dying for this tinubu's greed induced policy madness...i will join when i see seyi tinubu there.
u igbos still believe it is tinubu problem right?

Una eye go soon clear

1 Like

Re: Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by BATified2023: 4:01pm On Feb 15, 2023
DeLaRue:
This morning, I saw about 50 frustrated men and women standing in front of the Central Bank entrance. They looked so forlorn and helpless.

About 20 stern looking riot police men was standing a few yards away watching the gathering crowd.

There were no forms in sight despite Emefiele saying people should go to Central Bank offices to fill forms.

There must be tens of millions of people who still have old notes, yet to my knowledge, most states in Nigeria have just one CBN office. If all the millions of people turn up to fill forms, how will these offices cope

No other country in the world would treat its citizens like this.

Also, will CBN change the currency before every future election?

Absolutely crazy.
many igbos still believe it’s all about tinubu

No bank open here today in Ibadan, the money I made in shop yesterday I wanted to go n deposit it but banks didn’t open n many of them even said they don’t collect old notes

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by PureMe01: 4:03pm On Feb 15, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Stop the violence please.

Election holds in 10 days. You should all come out en masse to vote for Asiwaju. Only Asiwaju can stop them from turning your old notes into tissue paper..
Once Asiwaju wins, old notes will remain till December 2023 and Emefiele will be fired.

Same Thiefnubuu that gave us Buhari?
Come with another scam format. This one no enter grin

1 Like

Re: Naira Scarcity: 3 Feared Dead As Protest Rocks Benin City by BATified2023: 4:04pm On Feb 15, 2023
Antoeni:
Those Who have Lost Their Lives Won’t Join to See The New Nigeria When Peter Takes Over
u igbos only care about your Igbo presidency, u don’t care if 80% of Nigerians have died before then

With what is happening u think election will hold abi?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Massive Soldiers Deployment Spotted In Lagos (pic/video) / Singer R.kelly Moved To North Carolina Prison To Serve 30-year Sentence / Nigerian Rev Father Spotted With Ak-47, Fires Shot Inside Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.