Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,000 members, 7,810,786 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:23 PM

New Naira: Buhari Cannot Overrule A Supreme Court Order – Ozekhome - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New Naira: Buhari Cannot Overrule A Supreme Court Order – Ozekhome (27473 Views)

Old Naira: Buhari, Emefiele Not Relevant After Presidential Election - Oshiomole / New Naira: Buhari’s Meeting With Governors, Others Cancelled / E-Naira: Buhari Launches Nigerian Digital Currency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Naira: Buhari Cannot Overrule A Supreme Court Order – Ozekhome by salesbloo: 7:49am On Feb 17, 2023
Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Mike Ozekhome, has said it is wrong for the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), to disobey the Supreme Court order on the old naira notes.

The apex court had in an interim order restrained the Federal Government from suspending the acceptance of the old naira notes.

But in a statement on Friday, Ozekhome described the order by the President as a ‘dicta, more in the form of a military Decree’.

The statement partly read, “Buhari, in his broadcast on Thursday, February 16, 2023, unilaterally varied the apex court’s extant order of maintenance of status quo, by directing the CBN Governor to the effect that ‘the old N200 banknotes be released back into circulation…to circulate as legal tender with the new N200, N500 and N1000 bank notes for 60 days…’

The President then issued a dicta, more in the form of a military Decree, that, ‘in line with section 20 (3) of the CBN Act, 2007, all existing old N1000 and N500 notes remain redeemable at the CBN and designated prints’.

“This order is a clear violation of and disobedience to the existing order of the apex court which had already maintained the status quo ante bellum of all parties involved in the Naira re-design dispute.

“The Supreme Court had on Wednesday, February 15, 2023, after the first interim order, adjourned the suit originally filed by the Attorneys-General of Kano, Kogi and Zamfara states (other interested parties were later joined) to February 22, to enable it hear the entire matter holistically.”
https://punchng.com/new-naira-buhari-cannot-overrule-supreme-court-order-ozekhome/

45 Likes 10 Shares

Re: New Naira: Buhari Cannot Overrule A Supreme Court Order – Ozekhome by Pay4u: 7:49am On Feb 17, 2023
4 Bedroom Townhouse with a room BQ for Sale in Jabi Abuja. ₦140m

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO1n2yi5p_g

4 Bedroom Terrace Duplex with 1 Room Bq for sale in Mabushi Abuja. Visit website for more Abuja properties.

2 Likes

Re: New Naira: Buhari Cannot Overrule A Supreme Court Order – Ozekhome by Legitisreal: 7:49am On Feb 17, 2023
He has already

Tinubu is not looking to buy votes in igboland or SS

It's the north, let's now see how northerners would leave theirs for him with his baggages

55 Likes 5 Shares

Re: New Naira: Buhari Cannot Overrule A Supreme Court Order – Ozekhome by Christistruth02: 7:50am On Feb 17, 2023
grin

2 Likes

Re: New Naira: Buhari Cannot Overrule A Supreme Court Order – Ozekhome by PresidentAtiku(m): 7:50am On Feb 17, 2023
Dictionary

😂😂😂😂

3 Likes

Re: New Naira: Buhari Cannot Overrule A Supreme Court Order – Ozekhome by ChangetheChange: 7:53am On Feb 17, 2023
cheesy grin grin
Story for the gods
Last Last na everybody go chop breakfast...shayo

86 Likes 5 Shares

Re: New Naira: Buhari Cannot Overrule A Supreme Court Order – Ozekhome by Benjaniblinks(m): 7:54am On Feb 17, 2023
undecided
Re: New Naira: Buhari Cannot Overrule A Supreme Court Order – Ozekhome by chiefolododo(m): 7:54am On Feb 17, 2023
maybe next time , he has overruled this one ...orders based on sentiment will be thrown away

He cannot overrule himself

42 Likes

Re: New Naira: Buhari Cannot Overrule A Supreme Court Order – Ozekhome by Lashist(m): 7:54am On Feb 17, 2023
Urchins might be disappointed when they hear that Tinubu is now working for Peter Obi codedly cheesy grin

96 Likes 9 Shares

Re: New Naira: Buhari Cannot Overrule A Supreme Court Order – Ozekhome by Period007(m): 7:54am On Feb 17, 2023
El Rufai said he will help them to exchange the old notes in CBN after election grin grin grin

93 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Naira: Buhari Cannot Overrule A Supreme Court Order – Ozekhome by SmartPolician: 7:54am On Feb 17, 2023
Nigerians, why we need to vote for and have a sane president is that a Nigerian president can afford to flout court orders without consequences.

Vote for a man with conscience because injustice has a way of affecting everyone; no one is speared, no matter how highly placed you may be. Vote for Peter Greg Obi!

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Naira: Buhari Cannot Overrule A Supreme Court Order – Ozekhome by Ikaeniyan0: 7:54am On Feb 17, 2023
The President do not have such a power

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: New Naira: Buhari Cannot Overrule A Supreme Court Order – Ozekhome by GreatrAnalyst: 7:54am On Feb 17, 2023
Just sit there and keep saying same thing like old record.

Did it start today?

Onogben or something, when he removed him against normal proceeding, you guys thought it was joke? Despite Falana saying he can't do it.

This shege must go round.

He has flouted court's order that pleased some people, so he needed to flout this most recent one to displease people who are still pleased.

You think Buhari is sane?

Next time, may be, majority who can decide who emerges on that seat will have sense enough to think reasonably.

Both people who are indifferent and those chanting sai baba are feeling their man.
Nigerians are seemingly not wise yet

61 Likes 4 Shares

Re: New Naira: Buhari Cannot Overrule A Supreme Court Order – Ozekhome by WibusJaga: 7:55am On Feb 17, 2023

It is left for lawyers to argue on that, but Mr President has spoken & that's final for now. cheesy

Fact is, the new Naira policy has brought untold hardship to Nigerians but even the incompetent Buhari has seen that this hardship is only a child's play compared with the tragedy of allowing a drug lord & dementia-prone controversial character like Thïefnubu to become President.

In all, Buhari & APC government should be held responsible for all these suffering.
Tinubu that claimed he made Buhari president should also take the blame for gifting Nigerians an incompetent president.

&Anyone still planning to vote APC & Tinubu on the 25th is indirectly praying for God to continue his suffering. smiley

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Naira: Buhari Cannot Overrule A Supreme Court Order – Ozekhome by HeadNigga: 7:55am On Feb 17, 2023
I don evacuate the old notes with me on palliatives to cushion the effect of naira scarcity on myself. I don't want to be caught in the crossfire. Let the elephants' fight not make me regret holding on to my old naira notes. Better to be safe than sorry

29 Likes

Re: New Naira: Buhari Cannot Overrule A Supreme Court Order – Ozekhome by Windmoney: 7:55am On Feb 17, 2023
Says who?
The fear of this two men is the beginning of wisdom for APC governor s,

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: New Naira: Buhari Cannot Overrule A Supreme Court Order – Ozekhome by TriCee: 7:55am On Feb 17, 2023
We know, but you guys never speak up all these while Buhari was misbehaving. Oh, I heard bribes can only be paid in cash. grin

The electoral judgements coming from that SC is making it toothless each day. They should start by restoring the people's mandates.

19 Likes

Re: New Naira: Buhari Cannot Overrule A Supreme Court Order – Ozekhome by Ttalk: 7:55am On Feb 17, 2023
This is a constitutional lawyer speaking, the one that is representing Nnamdi Kanu, I wonder what IPOBIANS turned Obidients is going to say to this.

But I trust they would deny anything and can even sacrifice their two eyes if that would make Tinubu fail.

I have never seen this type of hatred before

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Naira: Buhari Cannot Overrule A Supreme Court Order – Ozekhome by broadman20: 7:55am On Feb 17, 2023
Hmmmmm !

The chicken has come home to roost,

When Buhari chased away the former Chief judge of the federation, they celebrated because he was from South South,

When the president sent DSS to harass judges they celebrated,

When the president refused to release Nnamdi Kanu you celebrated.

Now what is happening?

I want celebration from the North,

I want celebration from South West,

Why are you not celebrating again.

GOD IS THE GOD OF JUSTICE.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Naira: Buhari Cannot Overrule A Supreme Court Order – Ozekhome by mbahdi(m): 7:55am On Feb 17, 2023
Clowns
He be like say I now live in a different country.come oyo state here we are happily spending it as if nothing is happening.we no dey go bank here.money wey no circulate na him u wun Carry dey go bank.we dey spend am within ourselves,u collect am I collect am another person collect am na so we take dey roll here......god punish apc and it's useless surporters

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Naira: Buhari Cannot Overrule A Supreme Court Order – Ozekhome by clarocuzioo(m): 7:55am On Feb 17, 2023
True. But the thing here is Buhari has been flouting courts orders prior to now, and Tinubu and his gang of urchins have been cheering him.

I once told MANNABBQBRILLS on this forum that the disregard for court orders and rulings by Buhari is a very terrible precedent for our democracy.

26 Likes

Re: New Naira: Buhari Cannot Overrule A Supreme Court Order – Ozekhome by Ireportlive: 7:56am On Feb 17, 2023
He just did less than 24hours

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Naira: Buhari Cannot Overrule A Supreme Court Order – Ozekhome by Dshocker(m): 7:56am On Feb 17, 2023
In this situation, the president applied executive order number 6, which overrides the the decree of the judiciary...

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: New Naira: Buhari Cannot Overrule A Supreme Court Order – Ozekhome by princeade86(m): 7:56am On Feb 17, 2023
All Nigerians graduate are dunce I swear. No apologies to all graduate including me except u knew d right thing. Many of us twisting things to favour us due to politics. Politics have turned 80% of graduate to like primary school certificate holder. Even lawyers now reason like dunce set of people. I gave up on graduates since they many of them said still is the same as corruption.

10 Likes

Re: New Naira: Buhari Cannot Overrule A Supreme Court Order – Ozekhome by SavageResponse(m): 7:56am On Feb 17, 2023
Country of confused people angry

2 Likes

Re: New Naira: Buhari Cannot Overrule A Supreme Court Order – Ozekhome by DMerciful(m): 7:57am On Feb 17, 2023
They lost their right to be called Supreme Court. They're Supreme Fraud for making Lawan and Akpabio candidates despite not contesting senatorial primaries. They also made Uzodinma governor who took 4th position

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: New Naira: Buhari Cannot Overrule A Supreme Court Order – Ozekhome by Enddy50ty(m): 7:57am On Feb 17, 2023
Since you refused to obey Emefiele's directives, Buhari has said it himself.
No going back on the new Naira policy.

For those of you who are still with the old Naira notes waiting on Supreme Court judgment, you can go and pay it into your Supreme Court bank accounts 🤣🤣🤣🤣

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Naira: Buhari Cannot Overrule A Supreme Court Order – Ozekhome by Kobicove(m): 7:57am On Feb 17, 2023
You don't need to be a lawyer to know that the law takes precedence!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Naira: Buhari Cannot Overrule A Supreme Court Order – Ozekhome by moscow007: 7:57am On Feb 17, 2023
In the character of the most deadly drug Baron and Machiavellian political Godfather, what ever he can't corrupt and use to further his selfish ambition, he destroys.

He has demonstrated this machiavellian principles in the past as he remains the only Governor in Nigeria that changed his deputy Governors 3 times (not due to death or health) in his 8years tenure, he humiliated and rendered them politically irrelevant for not joining him in his monumental conversion of Lagos revenue to his personal purse and other atrocities against Lagos State and Nigerians.
Nobody is spared this destructions and any nobody that dares stands on his path or refused to be corrupted gets destroyed. even his own wife has been a recent victim, it's not just a rumour that Thiefnibu tried to take a younger Muslim wife after being criticized for not being a true Muslim by marrying a Christian wife and allowing all his children to be Christians, that's why Remi stopped joining him in his campaign trails and also stopped her APC women movement for Thiefnibu.

The heavens and earth have rejected Thiefnibu.

Thiefnibu will never be President, never!

my only worry now is that the true character of this demonic criminal might be revealed if he finally decides to take off the façade, you see, Thiefnibu doesn't care if he becomes the President of 2/3 of Nigeria, the rest can perish as long as he gets what he wants, with the two most terrifying extremists (El Rufai and Shettima) as his most trusted allies I fear for the worst if they are not tamed on time, anybody and everybody is dispensable in Thiefnibu's world. Buhari seriously needs to pick the wings off El Rufai before he takes flight, things can snowball into anarchy in no time.

The best place to start is leading a covet ops to burst their old notes stash house in Kaduna, there's over 100billion naira of old 500, 1000 and some USD in that house.

I'm fervently praying these men are stopped before they initiate their plans, what they did to Jonathan (with chibok girls and bombings) are child's play to what a combination of these 3 demons are capable of, these men are worst than u can possibly imagine and now they are extremely desperate, they are like vipers cornered to a wall, be rest assured they will strike.

To all Urchins endorsing and support these demonic criminals, I pray your families are not the first victims, this is beyond politics and tribe, I've always tried to warn you guys, refuse the devil now and he shall flee from us.
Openly denounce and reject these men, support the FG to root them out and deal with them, help protect and defend Nigeria from those seeking to destroy it.
They will all fail, Nigeria will not fail.
God will prevail where Thiefnibu and his gang of criminals must fail.

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Leaked Memo: DSS Arrests Abuja- Kaduna Train Manager / Omoyele Sowore Live On "The Candidates" On January 23rd, 2019 By 7pm / Restructuring: Effective Leaders Listen, Sam Adeyemi Replies Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.