Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,944 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:06 AM

Why Do Android Phones Last For Only 2-2.5 Years On Average? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Do Android Phones Last For Only 2-2.5 Years On Average? (1671 Views)

Do Android Charging Port Lead To Slow Charging Please / The Nokia Thread: 1.4 , 4.2, 5.1 Plus, 5.3, 6.1 Plus, 7.1, 7.2, 7 Plus , 8.3 etc / What Joy Do Android Users Derive From Badmouthing Iphone And Ios Users?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Android Phones Last For Only 2-2.5 Years On Average? by dominzy(m): 12:35am On Feb 19, 2023
Android devices have a much smaller life than their competitors like Windows and Apple devices. Reason can be broadly classified in two divisions.

Lack of app support
An average android phone today can last for more than 4 to 5 years on its own merit, if anyone is willing to keep it alive. I bought a Micromax phone with Android Gingerbread (2.3.5) back in the early days in the year 2013. It stopped working recently because of battery issues. Simple math tells that the phone lasted for more than 4 years.

However, with each android API update, new libraries are added, and some older ones get deprecated. Developers must keep their apps on Google Play Store updated with these latest changes. To ensure same functionality and features of the app on all devices, eventually older devices have to be abandoned.

Example: WhatsApp abandoning android 2.2 and below devices

Thus the phones not only lack features from latest Android, but also third party app support.

No standard hardware
Ever wondered why it is so easy to upgrade Windows PC? It happens automatically, directly from Microsoft. At most, you need to download the .iso file, burn it to a thumb drive and you are good to update your system.

Why doesn't this happen to Android? This is because most PCs have hardware standardization (IBM). An OS knows where to expect what hardware. In contrast, Google has not specifically set any hardware standards. There are a couple of tests like Compatibility Test Suite which an OEM must pass their device through, but it isn't similar to IBM standard.

CTS checks
Compatibility Test Suite, as mentioned above and Compatibility Definition Document decides to which device, an OEM can officially pust an android update. Check the latest CDD here:

Android 7.1 Compatibility Definition | Android Open Source Project

Sometimes, CTS prevents OEMs to push updates to perfectly capable devices. Sony Xperia Z3 was one of the non-nexus phones to get Android Nougat developer previews. However Google change’its CDD in last moment making its Snapdragon 801 incompatible

Sony claims it's not at fault for not releasing Android 7.0 Nougat for Xperia Z3

Lack lustre attitude of OEMs
Most manufacturers have their devices bloated and heavily skinned with features. Pushing an update requires building everything, every piece of those specific “features” from scratch. It is time consuming and needs lot of work. That is the reason many manufacturers completely avoid updates.

Google is trying to solve the issue by using new Vendor Test Suite, which will make OEMs keep their code seperate from core Android code, allowing faster OS updates.

As Google releases new Android versions every year, by two years, you are already lagging behind by 2 Android versions. Imagine yourself using Windows 7 now, when everyone is using Windows 10.

Hardware ageing
As mentioned previously, current android phones have hardware to keep up for about 5 years. However, phone manufacturers have the only income by sales from their devices. As a result they need to keep releasing newer devices periodically, with better hardware than the previous generation of devices. This makes owners of older devices feel that their's have become excessively aged. So people buy new phones and older ones quickly reach End Of Life, both in software and hardware.

These are some of the reasons why android devices age so quickly.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Android Phones Last For Only 2-2.5 Years On Average? by gaby(m): 12:45am On Feb 19, 2023
Obsolescence....
Re: Why Do Android Phones Last For Only 2-2.5 Years On Average? by ITbomb(m): 7:39am On Feb 19, 2023
Buy AndroidOne phone and get faster updates
Re: Why Do Android Phones Last For Only 2-2.5 Years On Average? by care4you: 7:53am On Feb 19, 2023
Mugu.. go and buy better phone and stop buying 5k phones

12 Likes

Re: Why Do Android Phones Last For Only 2-2.5 Years On Average? by Ogbemuo: 8:11am On Feb 19, 2023
I've been using my LG V30 since 2018

1 Like

Re: Why Do Android Phones Last For Only 2-2.5 Years On Average? by minosky: 8:33am On Feb 19, 2023
Wow since 2018,that LG phone must be a strong phone,are you still using it with the follow come battery ? am expecting your reply.
Re: Why Do Android Phones Last For Only 2-2.5 Years On Average? by ModCaller: 8:53am On Feb 19, 2023
This one don go copy nonsense from Quora.

You have not heard of UK used Samsung phones abi? How many years old do you think Samsung s9 is?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Android Phones Last For Only 2-2.5 Years On Average? by thesicilian: 10:31am On Feb 19, 2023
care4you:
Mugu.. go and buy better phone and stop buying 5k phones

ModCaller:
This one don go copy nonsense from Quora.

You have not heard of UK used Samsung phones abi? How many years old do you think Samsung s9 is?
What is wrong with nairalanders?! Even if you physically open their brains and use super glue to gum information on it, they'll still find a way to spit it out of their mouths!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Android Phones Last For Only 2-2.5 Years On Average? by Collinz2(m): 10:39am On Feb 19, 2023
Mumu thread

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Android Phones Last For Only 2-2.5 Years On Average? by xtivin(m): 11:14am On Feb 19, 2023
Been using mine since 2019
Re: Why Do Android Phones Last For Only 2-2.5 Years On Average? by Nobody: 1:25pm On Feb 19, 2023
It is intentional. This is the way phone makers make money.
Even if your phone last beyond that, memory and storage issues will creep in, no more OS updates, WhatsApp will stop working, newer apps either don't install or don't work smoothly.

Whether it's Samsung or Redmi, you will eventually experience most of the above!
I threw away a few working devices from the Android Gingerbread and Ice-cream sandwich era.

iPhones too have a way of making you get tired and get a newer model. No more updates, device slows down, etc.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Android Phones Last For Only 2-2.5 Years On Average? by gonkin(m): 2:34pm On Feb 19, 2023
Oga. Im using a Chinese android. It will be 5 years in August. The phone never ready to die
Re: Why Do Android Phones Last For Only 2-2.5 Years On Average? by SirJerrie(m): 2:48pm On Feb 19, 2023
Used Nokia 4.2 for 3 years... A midrange Device.

The Phone still stand strong....
Ba3 backup just dropped but the phone still stand strong, still working till today...

1 Like

Re: Why Do Android Phones Last For Only 2-2.5 Years On Average? by zanshi: 3:42pm On Feb 19, 2023
Best way to go through custom rom.
Re: Why Do Android Phones Last For Only 2-2.5 Years On Average? by Eyanbahose: 4:42pm On Feb 19, 2023
Not in all cases tho.
Re: Why Do Android Phones Last For Only 2-2.5 Years On Average? by Eyanbahose: 4:43pm On Feb 19, 2023
xtivin:
Been using mine since 2019
which phone is that
Re: Why Do Android Phones Last For Only 2-2.5 Years On Average? by Eyanbahose: 4:44pm On Feb 19, 2023
crows2ravens:
It is intentional. This is the way phone makers make money.
Even if your phone last beyond that, memory and storage issues will creep in, no more OS updates, WhatsApp will stop working, newer apps either don't install or don't work smoothly.

Whether it's Samsung or Redmi, you will eventually experience most of the above!
I threw away a few working devices from the Android Gingerbread and Ice-cream sandwich era.

iPhones too have a way of making you get tired and get a newer model. No more updates, device slows down, etc.
I agree with this. Business wanna stay afloat so they have to discontinue support on old devices
Re: Why Do Android Phones Last For Only 2-2.5 Years On Average? by lyriclekidd(m): 6:02pm On Feb 19, 2023
Mumu I done dy use my Samsung note 9 since 2019 and na uk used I buy am sef. Dy talk shit mugu
Re: Why Do Android Phones Last For Only 2-2.5 Years On Average? by sureteeboy(m): 6:46pm On Feb 19, 2023
dominzy:
I bought a Micromax phone with Android Gingerbread (2.3.5) back in the early days in the year 2013. It stopped working recently because of battery issues. Simple math tells that the phone lasted for more than 4 years.

Are you copying a 2017 article in 2023?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Android Phones Last For Only 2-2.5 Years On Average? by valarinz: 7:05pm On Feb 19, 2023
sureteeboy:

That is exactly what he did bro 🤭
Re: Why Do Android Phones Last For Only 2-2.5 Years On Average? by Pharaohny: 7:20pm On Feb 19, 2023
Is Samsung part of your analysis cos wtf I just read 😜😜🤣👍🤣🤣🤣🤣😜
Re: Why Do Android Phones Last For Only 2-2.5 Years On Average? by Pharaohny: 7:21pm On Feb 19, 2023
sureteeboy:

I thought as much it's not even 2017 I think it's 2010 article
Re: Why Do Android Phones Last For Only 2-2.5 Years On Average? by Pharaohny: 7:22pm On Feb 19, 2023
Samsung A6 2016 is still currently being used by my brother a UK used phone that was bought in 2018 , a midrange phone for that matter
Re: Why Do Android Phones Last For Only 2-2.5 Years On Average? by Pharaohny: 7:23pm On Feb 19, 2023
Shey Banks go shaa open Tommoorr to receive old notes
Re: Why Do Android Phones Last For Only 2-2.5 Years On Average? by 9182736455O1999(m): 9:13pm On Feb 19, 2023
I don finally know say most Nigerians no dey read sth.
Re: Why Do Android Phones Last For Only 2-2.5 Years On Average? by Ate247(m): 9:31pm On Feb 19, 2023
I used my Samsung s6 for 5years. Yet e no spoil. I had to give it out. Everything was still perfect
Re: Why Do Android Phones Last For Only 2-2.5 Years On Average? by shezy14(m): 9:38pm On Feb 19, 2023
dominzy:
Android devices have a much smaller life than their competitors like Windows and Apple devices. Reason can be broadly classified in two divisions.

Lack of app support
An average android phone today can last for more than 4 to 5 years on its own merit, if anyone is willing to keep it alive. I bought a Micromax phone with Android Gingerbread (2.3.5) back in the early days in the year 2013. It stopped working recently because of battery issues. Simple math tells that the phone lasted for more than 4 years.

However, with each android API update, new libraries are added, and some older ones get deprecated. Developers must keep their apps on Google Play Store updated with these latest changes. To ensure same functionality and features of the app on all devices, eventually older devices have to be abandoned.

Example: WhatsApp abandoning android 2.2 and below devices

Thus the phones not only lack features from latest Android, but also third party app support.

No standard hardware
Ever wondered why it is so easy to upgrade Windows PC? It happens automatically, directly from Microsoft. At most, you need to download the .iso file, burn it to a thumb drive and you are good to update your system.

Why doesn't this happen to Android? This is because most PCs have hardware standardization (IBM). An OS knows where to expect what hardware. In contrast, Google has not specifically set any hardware standards. There are a couple of tests like Compatibility Test Suite which an OEM must pass their device through, but it isn't similar to IBM standard.

CTS checks
Compatibility Test Suite, as mentioned above and Compatibility Definition Document decides to which device, an OEM can officially pust an android update. Check the latest CDD here:

Android 7.1 Compatibility Definition | Android Open Source Project

Sometimes, CTS prevents OEMs to push updates to perfectly capable devices. Sony Xperia Z3 was one of the non-nexus phones to get Android Nougat developer previews. However Google change’its CDD in last moment making its Snapdragon 801 incompatible

Sony claims it's not at fault for not releasing Android 7.0 Nougat for Xperia Z3

Lack lustre attitude of OEMs
Most manufacturers have their devices bloated and heavily skinned with features. Pushing an update requires building everything, every piece of those specific “features” from scratch. It is time consuming and needs lot of work. That is the reason many manufacturers completely avoid updates.

Google is trying to solve the issue by using new Vendor Test Suite, which will make OEMs keep their code seperate from core Android code, allowing faster OS updates.

As Google releases new Android versions every year, by two years, you are already lagging behind by 2 Android versions. Imagine yourself using Windows 7 now, when everyone is using Windows 10.

Hardware ageing
As mentioned previously, current android phones have hardware to keep up for about 5 years. However, phone manufacturers have the only income by sales from their devices. As a result they need to keep releasing newer devices periodically, with better hardware than the previous generation of devices. This makes owners of older devices feel that their's have become excessively aged. So people buy new phones and older ones quickly reach End Of Life, both in software and hardware.

These are some of the reasons why android devices age so quickly.

This is nonsense

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Android Phones Last For Only 2-2.5 Years On Average? by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 11:09pm On Feb 19, 2023
Used my HTC Desire610 from 2015 to 2020 and i never had to work on it for once till i decided to get another phone.
Re: Why Do Android Phones Last For Only 2-2.5 Years On Average? by aptechguy: 11:12pm On Feb 19, 2023
Please post something sensible and not obviously false information.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Difference Between Celtel And Mtn / How To Install Apps On Sd Card Of Tecno B3 / Tecno P9 Pad Mini For Sale At An Affordable Prices 08130204058

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.