Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,266 members, 7,829,552 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:43 AM

The Nigerian Populace Pasivity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Nigerian Populace Pasivity (167 Views)

Civil Defense Should Police The Populace Instead Of Nigeria Police Force (NPF) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Nigerian Populace Pasivity by peterveo(m): 4:04pm On Feb 19, 2023
I have watched with keen interest from the sidelines through this electioneering period. My rationale for this is because I strongly believe that making the right input and at the right time matters more. Will it be typical to say that we have a culture of forgetting or shock-absorbers for suffering?

What does patriotism to one's nation mean? It is the quality of devotion and vigorous support for one's country, according to the Oxford dictionary. I'm paying my dues as a compatriot of my beloved country far away from home. The purpose of this mini note is to "conscientise" those in doubt.

In the history of Nigeria, something has been happening that the majority among over 250 million of her citizens have not noticed their pasivity. Speaking from a world perspective, over 250 million people? Yes! 250 million people languishing in poverty, poor or no social care, sub-standard public services/infrastructures and they still choose to continue in the same trajectory? Yes! But why? My answer is simply that the majority of these people are irresponsible. That sounds very ambiguous right? Let me elucidate my point. Ten years ago, precisely 2013, I was part of these very irresponsible(passive) majority of 250 million people without noticing. My redemption was at the end of my 2nd year at the university. This was when I realised that evil thrives when people stay neutral on issues.

It was from this view point that I understood the importance of distinctively probing into issues that most people consider irrelevant because it does not directly affect them. In my view, this is where "the common good of all" comes into play. However, the Nigerian culture does not meticulously support this idea (I stand to be corrected) because if it does not directly affect me or my family/cirle damn it.

In all honesty, what differentiates the Western world from Nigeria/Africa is their open embrace of the idea of collective good and wealth embedded in their culture.

Finally, the irresponsibility and passivity of the majority of the Nigerian populace is the root cause of our problems. Let us learn to take responsibility for our actions and inaction, probe into the affairs of our government to obtain the maximum benefits of democracy and put our country back in the global map. Wishing Nigeria a peaceful, free and fair elections.

Signed by MR. P

(1) (Reply)

Tinubu Will Build Patigi-bida Bridge, Tackle Flooding–kwara Gov / Beware Of Fake New Notes From Politicians / Naira Swap: Buhari And APC Are Playing Games With Millions Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.