Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,224 members, 7,860,437 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 11:01 AM

Fashola Tackles Keyamo, Says Buhari’s Action Not Contempt Of S’court - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Tackles Keyamo, Says Buhari’s Action Not Contempt Of S’court (575 Views)

Ultimatum To Herders: SANs Back Akeredolu, Insist Action Not Unconstitutional / Ifeanyi Ubah Criticises Keyamo, Says He Is Ignorant Of Parliamentary Rules / Onnoghen: NANS Protests Against Buhari's Action (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Tackles Keyamo, Says Buhari’s Action Not Contempt Of S’court by Lionize: 1:15pm On Feb 20, 2023
Politics made the Festus guy throw reasoning away sometimes, doesn't really sound like a lawyer those times.
Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, has disagreed with his counterpart, Minister of State, Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo, over his recent comment for faulting President Muhammadu Buhari’s directive that the old N200 be recirculated until April 10, 2023, while the old N500 and N1,000 cease to be legal tender.
Fashola, who is also a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), at the weekend, argued that the directive of the president was not a direct affront to Supreme Court that had momentarily stopped the move to ban the old currencies by February 10, 2023.

Former Lagos state governor, while speaking on TVC, on Sunday, maintained that the president only took the step to help assuage the hardships of Nigerians who were bearing the brunt of the policy.
Keyamo, who is a spokesperson for the All Progressives Congress Presidential Campaign Council, had in an interview on Channels Television, said the president was wrongly advised to make the pronouncement in a nationwide broadcast.

According to Keyamo, although Buhari had good intentions for the naira redesign policy, he was wrongly advised.

APP PCC spokesperson also said he would have advised the president to comply with the Supreme Court order, which was to recirculate all the old notes until they decide on the matter.

“My view is that the president acted honestly, without intention to slight the Supreme Court, but he may have acted on wrong advice. I did not give that advice, it’s not my responsibility. I do not know who gave that advice.

“Now, if I were to advise him, I would have advised differently. I would have advised him to comply with the terms of the order of the Supreme Court. All the notes should circulate for now, all the notes. All the old notes should circulate side by side with the new notes for now, because that is the order of the Supreme Court,” Keyamo said.

However, Fashola, reacting to Keyamo’s statement said the recent nationwide broadcast by Buhari on the ongoing naira redesign policy was not a contempt of the Supreme Court.

He stated that although the naira swap policy needed to be reviewed, the president took the decision because he had seen the suffering many Nigerians were facing and not to spite the apex court.

Fashola explained, “Let me say that in a democracy where there is a right to speak freely, there’s bound to be divergence of views, as you have had. But I think that the principle about respecting and awaiting the outcome of a court decision sometimes has been stretched, if I may use that word.

“There is also a lot of jurisprudence and scholarship about the boundaries of contempt in actions done and in things said. If I shut the door on your finger, and you went to court to say that the court should direct me to remove or open the door, do I say let’s wait for the outcome of court decision when you are in pain, and people are in pain?

“The question to ask is if I attempt to open that door, would you, the person in pain, say I was acting in contempt or would you gladly have me open the door and then go back to the court and say the matter we have resolved it?

“And that is another angle to look at this thing because I think that whatever interventions the president sought to make were interventions in response to the very palpable pain and I think he said that much in his speech about the unintended consequences of the policy.”

Source: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/02/fashola-tackles-keyamo-says-buharis-action-not-contempt-of-scourt/

Re: Fashola Tackles Keyamo, Says Buhari’s Action Not Contempt Of S’court by Malory: 1:16pm On Feb 20, 2023
Even Fashola is against Tinubu's candidature. APC fighting APC.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Tackles Keyamo, Says Buhari’s Action Not Contempt Of S’court by Massiveglory: 1:18pm On Feb 20, 2023
Miracle no dey tire Jesus Christ..
WWE royal rumble among themselves.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Tackles Keyamo, Says Buhari’s Action Not Contempt Of S’court by Lionize: 1:20pm On Feb 20, 2023
Malory:
No, I think he is just trying to correct the legal impression many have been made to believe by divisive politicians.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Tackles Keyamo, Says Buhari’s Action Not Contempt Of S’court by Phoen1X: 1:21pm On Feb 20, 2023
Fashola,sir please ensure that you're wearing an iron helmet when next you visit lagos...urchins are now on reverse gear.
Re: Fashola Tackles Keyamo, Says Buhari’s Action Not Contempt Of S’court by PrinceOfLagos: 1:21pm On Feb 20, 2023
Malory:
Alhaji Lai Muhammed and Rauf Aregbesola too

Tinubu is not marketable. He has too many corruption cases hanging on his neck

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Tackles Keyamo, Says Buhari’s Action Not Contempt Of S’court by Coolsperm: 1:22pm On Feb 20, 2023
But Tinubu is the major cause of this currency problem, Tinubu stole money Tru bullion van during last election

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola Tackles Keyamo, Says Buhari’s Action Not Contempt Of S’court by ojoadeola: 1:25pm On Feb 20, 2023
Coolsperm:
But Tinubu is the major cause of this currency problem, Tinubu stole money Tru bullion van during last election

Please learn

1 Like

Re: Fashola Tackles Keyamo, Says Buhari’s Action Not Contempt Of S’court by Malory: 1:25pm On Feb 20, 2023
PrinceOfLagos:

Alhaji Lai Muhammed and Rauf Aregbesola too

Tinubu is not marketable. He has too many corruption cases hanging on his neck
Thiefnubuu don see shege

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Tackles Keyamo, Says Buhari’s Action Not Contempt Of S’court by samwillyco1(m): 1:27pm On Feb 20, 2023
SAN vs SAN = Confused Criminals
Re: Fashola Tackles Keyamo, Says Buhari’s Action Not Contempt Of S’court by Chinjo2: 1:27pm On Feb 20, 2023
APC VS APC
Re: Fashola Tackles Keyamo, Says Buhari’s Action Not Contempt Of S’court by Lionize: 1:27pm On Feb 20, 2023
while politiking, it is good to always keep the records straight. To think that festus is a member of Buhari's cabinet is somehow, he wants to be 'more relevant' as he will be rewarded if Tinubu wins. But he shouldn't mess himself up in the process.
Re: Fashola Tackles Keyamo, Says Buhari’s Action Not Contempt Of S’court by Joevics(m): 1:28pm On Feb 20, 2023
Two urchins fighting.
grin
Re: Fashola Tackles Keyamo, Says Buhari’s Action Not Contempt Of S’court by Coolsperm: 1:31pm On Feb 20, 2023
ojoadeola:

Please learn
. Learn what
Re: Fashola Tackles Keyamo, Says Buhari’s Action Not Contempt Of S’court by iwaeda: 1:32pm On Feb 20, 2023
Lionize:
Politics made the Festus guy throw reasoning away sometimes, doesn't really sound like a lawyer those times.

Source: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/02/fashola-tackles-keyamo-says-buharis-action-not-contempt-of-scourt/

See the kind of people in APC government, neophytes, no concordance. Yet people expect them to lead Nigeria aright. How our thinking as become so low in this country is really surprising. Even people with first class can't articulate. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Fashola Tackles Keyamo, Says Buhari’s Action Not Contempt Of S’court by Gondonu: 1:47pm On Feb 20, 2023
APC SAN zombie fighting APC SAN fake agent Holmes Is God not wonderful?
Re: Fashola Tackles Keyamo, Says Buhari’s Action Not Contempt Of S’court by Lionize: 2:20pm On Feb 20, 2023
Many Nigerians have now adopted the use of transfers. The only people left are the petty food sellers in the markets, but I think they can make do with N200 notes. This kind of policy comes with its challenges, every policy has its teething stage.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Governor Adeleke Endorses Peter Obi / 2023:Aisha Buhari Denies Posting CBN Release On IG / Watch Margaret Peter Obi Teach Voters How To Vote In Ibibio Language (subtitled)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.