Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,850 members, 7,828,078 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:43 PM

How I Lost My Bitcoin To Hackers - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How I Lost My Bitcoin To Hackers (327 Views)

Customer Service Desk: An Easy Access For Hackers To Exploit Your Organization / I Need $2,000 Worth Of Bitcoin To Buy At N270 Per Dollar / Need Help I Lost My Phone, I Will Pay You To Track It. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How I Lost My Bitcoin To Hackers by TalkTalkTwins(m): 3:37am On Feb 21, 2023
Sometime last year, a Canadian client I redesigned a website for opted to pay via Bitcoin, and I obliged, due to the payment issues we (Nigerians) are facing...

After sending in the payment receipt, I waited for the money to reflect in my wallet up to no avail...
You know how all these crypto payments work, I knew he sent the money, I just didn't know why I was yet to get it. I anyways confirmed the money (without actually receiving it)...

But during the whole process, I noticed that the wallet address he paid to (which I actually sent to him) wasn't my wallet; so what happened?
I left the whole thing after a series of Googling and trying to solve the puzzle...

In December, Clifford was scrolling through Twitter and someone laid a similar complaint;

After going through the comments, we found out my laptop had been compromised... (this is a laptop I ordered online from a reputable Lagos-based retail store, I'm still investigating and will raise a case if I find out they have something to do with this)

Now here's it:
When I copy a crypto wallet, a different wallet pastes.

So, I actually made the mistake of sending a different wallet to my client, and he made the payment...
I ran a quick Google search on the BTC address and found out many other people had fallen victim to this Trojan virus.
I was in the office then and immediately started sweating 😀

Told my twin and we went to our CTO's office and he did somethings (I saw codes, I no know wetin im do) and the stuff stopped...
Immediately after that, I installed two antiviruses, because I didn't initially think I needed an antivirus, considering the PC was new

This happened, think, in December last year, and I learnt the hard way. I'm sharing this today, so you don't also learn the hard way.
My only luck was that the client already had his hosting and domain, I was hired to redesign the website, and this was an advance payment.

He later used an alternative payment method to complete the money.

Have you experienced something similar?
How did you later rectify the issue?
Re: How I Lost My Bitcoin To Hackers by dauntless15(m): 10:44am On Feb 21, 2023
There's currently a similar virus in my phone stealing my info, for the past few weeks they have attempted to access my bank account, succeeded in hacking my fb account but I got it back despite the fact that my number was removed, don't ask me how I got it back, they attempted to access my Blockchain account too, and my email all happening simultaneously, now my problem is whenever I delete this virus it'll reappear and multiply, the more you delete it the more it multiplies, and my antivirus can't even detect it, this is my greatest headache currently.

(1) (Reply)

Foreign Used HP Elitebook 820 G3 Going For Small Price / Charge Your Laptops 6TIMES Fully With Our Strong Lifepo4 Lithium Battery 100% / Uk Used HP 7th Generation 16gb Ram For 225k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.