Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,284 members, 7,818,959 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:58 AM

Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. (8340 Views)

Has Anyone Received Offer Letter From Teach For Nigeria (TFN) / Vital Information Must Be In Your Offer Letter Before You Accept It. / My Boss Indirectly Refused To Give Me An Offer Letter. What Should I Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by Rubyjade: 1:48am On Feb 23, 2023
baralatie:

Na wa
Lonri elo
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by Rubyjade: 1:49am On Feb 23, 2023
Femich18:

Those days when we were naive one Org kept saying they will send offer letter although we have agreed when to resume o but offer letter wasn't sent.
My job then was a shift Job, day and night so when the day came for me to resume at my new workplace, I was on night in my former company. I resumed in that new place and was told I'll get My offer letter before I close that Day 1. I sha got it and it was a big red flag with plenty of Don't woth deductions even the monthly renumeration was below what we agreed.
I just finished the day work and told my colleague I'm not coming again. What saved me was that I haven't resigned in my workplace if not I could have just lost on 2 grounds. I resumed my night shift in my workplace and forget about this new job.
shocked
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by Blessed4sure: 5:47am On Feb 23, 2023
Nigerian Labour law actually allows verbal offers if the contract duration is less than 3 months.

Where the contract is longer than that, Employers also have up to 3 months to issue an offer letter.

Not supporting the oppression by Nigerian companies, just saying, it is not an illegality.

[quote author=Oyindamolah post=121099178][/quote]

2 Likes

Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by Rubyjade: 4:20am On Feb 24, 2023
Blessed4sure:
Nigerian Labour law actually allows verbal offers if the contract duration is less than 3 months.

Where the contract is longer than that, Employers also have up to 3 months to issue an offer letter.

Not supporting the oppression by Nigerian companies, just saying, it is not an illegality.

Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by Hamachi(f): 5:10am On Feb 24, 2023
SimeonOTC:

Please can you tell me why you said so? I really need to know because am about to resign from my current work and I wasn't given an offer letter. I have worked here for over 2years.
I said so because after I left without an offer letter I was treated like a piece of sh!t and when I complained they told me to my face that I don't have an offer letter, it was a toxic environment, bad boss and salary was never constant and pay keep changing from 100k this mo the to 65k next month to 90k the following month

4 Likes

Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by xtivin(m): 5:57am On Feb 24, 2023
Hezzyluv:
Too true.

Since when I started my little business, I discovered is not worth it working under someone or one yeye even if na 200k per month for 9ja.

Na me know wetin I dey talk.
Unfortunately, Business is not for everyone that's the truth, as we have successful business owners we also have successful employees, but one thing is very important, "an enabling environment"

2 Likes

Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by QuinModah(f): 6:05am On Feb 24, 2023
xtivin:

Unfortunately, Business is not for everyone that's the truth, as we have successful business owners we also have successful employees, but one thing is very important, "an enabling environment"
Business is not for the faint hearted
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by xtivin(m): 6:10am On Feb 24, 2023
Nnaemiemax:

Boss I connect into this level of Favour. 🙏
Things dey well well, we once employed someone in error, not actually him we needed but the whole HR Team somehow agreed it's him and there was a name mix-up before we can say jack guy man don resume work, turned out he was really exceptional on the job. My brother God dey, favour dey

2 Likes

Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by QuinModah(f): 6:16am On Feb 24, 2023
wink
xtivin:

Things dey well well, we once employed someone in error, not actually him we needed but the whole HR Team somehow agreed it's him and there was a name mix-up before we can say jack guy man don resume work, turned out he was really exceptional on the job. My brother God dey, favour dey
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by Blessed4sure: 6:43am On Feb 24, 2023
Doubting me?

Please read the below article for a summary of the Nigerian Labour Law provisions on this matter.

https://iclg.com/practice-areas/employment-and-labour-laws-and-regulations/nigeria

Rubyjade:
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by Rubyjade: 10:04pm On Feb 26, 2023
Blessed4sure:
Doubting me?

Please read the below article for a summary of the Nigerian Labour Law provisions on this matter.

https://iclg.com/practice-areas/employment-and-labour-laws-and-regulations/nigeria

hmmmm
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by Pojomojo: 7:00am On Feb 28, 2023
Thanks for sharing.

It's sad how people exploit others. In 2018, I was asked to start a job after 4 stages of interview without offer letter. Mind you It's a religious organisation. I was out of job for months and surely needed one. But I woke up the morning I was to start and sent them a text that I am not interested. That's one of the best decisions I took.
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by IyaTola: 5:56am On Mar 01, 2023
Yarn them
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by Oyindamolah: 5:57am On Mar 01, 2023
Blessed4sure:

Really?
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by Oyindamolah: 5:58am On Mar 01, 2023
dfrost:
Just curious Oyindamolah, are these your original thoughts?
Nah
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by Oyindamolah: 5:59am On Mar 01, 2023
hardbody:

If I reduce these terms into writing and send back to to the company and they do not write back within a reasonable time countering my understanding of the terms, will i have no legs to stand on? I want an academic discussion, I am not fighting.
You move on to the next one.
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by dfrost: 6:19am On Mar 01, 2023
Oyindamolah:
Nah

Then by all means, quote the author. If you are educated well enough, that is the most sensible thing to do. I know the author, but I will give you the benefit of doing the honours.

1 Like

Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by Blessed4sure: 7:30am On Mar 01, 2023
Yes, please go through the summary using the link below

Oyindamolah:
Really?
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by hardbody: 10:25am On Mar 01, 2023
Oyindamolah:
You move on to the next one.

What would be the next one I am moving to? I am looking at the place of silence in a contract entered by conduct.

1 Like

Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by Oyindamolah: 8:57pm On Mar 01, 2023
hardbody:

What would be the next one I am moving to? I am looking at the place of silence in a contract entered by conduct.
hmmmm
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by Oyindamolah: 6:21am On Mar 03, 2023
If I may add, an offer letter sent to you but not signed by the employer is not an offer letter
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by Hamachi(f): 6:33am On Mar 03, 2023
Absolutely Right! I once had that experience of which I resumed out of trust and relationship without the offer letter.. Alas, 1st salary given was not as negotiated... There and then I learnt a very important lifetime lesson.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Demand Of Work Experience Frustration By Employers - What Can Be Done! / Good Morning ,note Things You Need To Do Before And After Collection Of Device / Technical Aid Corps (TAC) List Of Shortlisted Candidates 2012-2014(1st Batch)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.