Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,941 members, 7,863,322 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 03:24 PM

Akamai Employee Wanted To Spy For Israel - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akamai Employee Wanted To Spy For Israel (639 Views)

Fredrick Forsythe Reveals He Was A Spy For MI6 During Nigerian Civil War / GEJ's CYBERCRIME BILL Allows FG To Spy On Nigerians - Death Sentence For Hackers / Okorocha Leaves UK Hospital For Israel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Akamai Employee Wanted To Spy For Israel by hakanai(m): 3:18pm On Sep 12, 2011
Akamai employee wanted to spy for Israel
Israel needs web acceleration
31 Aug 2011 10:09 | by a staff writer | Filed in Security USA

0 Comments

submit to reddit
Akamai employee wanted to spy for Israel -

An employee of the web acceleration outfit Akamai has admitted trying to hand over secret company info to Israel.

According to Computerworld, Elliot Doxer spent 18 months gathering information for James Cromer, a man he thought was an Israeli spook.

From September 2007, he handed over pages and pages of confidential data, providing a list of Akamai's clients and contracts, information about the company's security practice. Among the invormation was a list of 1,300 Akamai employees, including mobile numbers, departments and e-mail addresses.

Doxer delivered the information to a dead drop box, a predetermined location set up by Cromer.
Apparently Doxer was not interested in money. He wanted to help Israel and to get information on his son and estranged wife, who lived outside the US.

However what Doxer didn't know was his handler was really a special agent with the counterintelligence squad at the FBI.

He was arrested and charged with committing foreign economic espionage. He is the eighth person ever to be prosecuted in the US for trying to sell corporate secrets to foreign governments.

Akamai said that there was no evidence that Doxer ever managed to sell his secrets to anyone other than federal agents.

It all started when out of the blue, he decided to send an e-mail to Israel's Boston consulate on June 22, 2006, writing, "I am a jewish american who lives in Boston. I know you are always looking for information and i am offering the little i may have."

He was contacted a few years later, and quickly started delivering information. He asked for $3,000 for the data and information about his son. He also hinted that Mossad could do him a favour by making bad things happen to his estranged wife.

He faces 15 years in prison on the charges.

Read more: http://news.techeye.net/security/akamai-employee-wanted-to-spy-for-israel#ixzz1XkQG6wA4
Re: Akamai Employee Wanted To Spy For Israel by hakanai(m): 3:22pm On Sep 12, 2011
With the wikileak reports i am disappointed that in our own case we even go and freely give the information to foreign interest and with out any repercussion.This are two friendly allied nations but still spying on each other and countering each other.where do we stand in Nigeria?
Re: Akamai Employee Wanted To Spy For Israel by maclatunji: 3:59pm On Sep 12, 2011
1st rule in politics: There are no permanent friends or enemies, only permanent interests.

(1) (Reply)

The Power Of Desire / Fg Plans 50,000 Jobs / The Worst Kind Of Poverty: Energy Poverty-- Un Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.