Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,091 members, 7,953,325 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:15 PM

How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? (7245 Views)

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by PhysicsQED(m): 8:43pm On Sep 12, 2011
Beaf: Every single ND group from Rivers to Delta, met the Ijaw people and were given land to settle on. The Ijaws are one of Nigeria's few autochthonous ethnic groups (if not the only one), nobody knows how long they have been in the ND (I'm sure we have discussed this before).

What was the land given and which groups have traditions of being given land by the Ijaws?
Re: How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by aljharem3: 9:15pm On Sep 12, 2011
this is going to be interesting and educative as well
Re: How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by kpogede77: 10:37pm On Sep 12, 2011
Ijaws don't know the road leading to most urhobo villages how much more giving them land. Can you give what you don't have.
May be they gave land to Isoko but an average Isoko man will tolo opia (carry cutlass) if an Ijaw man make such claim in his presence
Re: How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by ChinenyeN(m): 10:49pm On Sep 12, 2011
That statement by Beaf shows that there is much he does not know on the issue, unless he wants to come here and present his reasoning.
Re: How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by ChinenyeN(m): 11:05pm On Sep 12, 2011
I hope Beaf isn't speaking because he just so happen to trip onto that Ijo website where they tell the story of Ugbo, Kwa, Oru, Efa, etc. peoples.
Re: How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by aljharem3: 12:07am On Sep 13, 2011
ChinenyeN:

I hope Beaf isn't speaking because he just so happen to trip onto that Ijo website where they tell the story of Ugbo, Kwa, Oru, Efa, etc. peoples.

LOL

beaf parents might be from delta state but beaf himself only lived in delta for holidays

he is not a proper warri boy that would know the politics of the state he claims to have grown up in

he did not grow up in the state, heck he does not even know his language. so my very guess is that beaf is an ijaw man from balysea state
Re: How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by Beaf: 1:12am On Sep 13, 2011
ChinenyeN:

So, you come from Abia where you are rejected by your fellow Igbo NLers to tell me about the history of Delta state?
Dude, piss off.
Re: How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by Beaf: 1:30am On Sep 13, 2011
kpogede: Ijaws don't know the road leading to most urhobo villages how much more giving them land. Can you give what you don't have.
May be they gave land to Isoko but an average Isoko man will tolo opia (carry cutlass) if an Ijaw man make such claim in his presence

So, who gave you the land where your village is? Who did your people, or those before them meet?
Urhobo's and Isoko's were given land by the Ijaws, so were the Itsekiri's, but they dispute it with some badly made up stuff to bolster the "Olu of Warri" title which has been basically neutered in court by the Agbassa's and Okere's who have their own kings.

As for Ijaws making claims, they gave the newcomers land to settle on. Every last Urhobo group in the Warri area were given land by the Oporoza family. My family are custodians of history, ok? As an Uwvie man, go to the Ovies palace and ask nicely to know your history. You will be surprised at what your custodians tell you.

If you are talking of inland Urhobo like Okpe for instance, thats a different ball game altogether. That said, I can give you Okpe history quite neatly too, cos I learnt it in the Orodje's palace directly from the chiefs, I can tell you exactly where the four trees are planted.
Re: How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by aljharem3: 1:38am On Sep 13, 2011
Beaf:

So, who gave you the land where your village is? Who did your people, or those before them meet?
Urhobo's and Isoko's were given land by the Ijaws, so were the Itsekiri's, but they dispute it with some badly made up stuff to bolster the "Olu of Warri" title which has been basically neutered in court by the Agbassa's and Okere's who have their own kings.

As for Ijaws making claims, they gave the newcomers land to settle on. Every last Urhobo group in the Warri area were given land by the Oporoza family. My family are custodians of history, ok? As an Uwvie man, go to the Ovies palace and ask nicely to know your history. You will be surprised at what your custodians tell you.

If you are talking of inland Urhobo like Okpe for instance, thats a different ball game altogether. That said, I can give you Okpe history quite neatly too, cos I learnt it in the Orodje's palace directly from the chiefs, I can tell you exactly where the four trees are planted.

shocked shocked shocked shocked Ok we hear

is there any documented facts of ijaws family or whatever giving those people land ? that is the point of this thread

anyone can just come and name any family etc

give us facts ?
Re: How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by Beaf: 1:45am On Sep 13, 2011
alj_harem:

shocked shocked shocked shocked Ok we hear

is there any documented facts of ijaws family or whatever giving those people land ? that is the point of this thread

anyone can just come and name any family etc

give us facts ?

Why do you always ask id!otic questions?
Ride your camel to the various Ovie's palaces and ask there. In all honesty I would only reply fellow Deltans and sensible people like PhysicsQed, not any dimwit from Borno. Such people would be interested in buying books and looking up links, which is a different kettle of fish for a you.
Re: How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by aljharem3: 1:50am On Sep 13, 2011
really i am shocked beyond believe. honestly really really shocked

so someone can just come, name a group of family and claim they owned the land but gave it out to so and so people

TRULY UNBELIEVABLE !!!!!!!!!!
Re: How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by Beaf: 1:57am On Sep 13, 2011
alj_harem:

really i am shocked beyond believe. honestly really really shocked

so someone can just come, name a group of family and claim they owned the land but gave it out to so and so people

TRULY UNBELIEVABLE !!!!!!!!!!

Your problem. cool
I find you absolutely unintelligent, irritating, foolish, and just like a cow not worth bothering about.

You sign up as Jason, Uche and a host of other id's just to derail sensible discussions. Its because of dunces like you whose brains are forever marooned in their arses, that I asked Physics to move this topic here in the hope that we could have a sane and illuminating discussion.

I wonder how old you are.
Re: How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by aljharem3: 2:13am On Sep 13, 2011
Beaf:

Your problem. cool
I find you absolutely unintelligent, irritating, foolish, and just like a cow not worth bothering about.

You sign up as Jason, Uche and a host of other id's just to derail sensible discussions. Its because of dunces like you whose brains are forever marooned in their arses, that I asked Physics to move this topic here in the hope that we could have a sane and illuminating discussion.

I wonder how old you are.

jason uche again lol grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by aljharem3: 2:19am On Sep 13, 2011
beaf answer the question by physics undecided

see how he is already polarising the issue
Re: How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by ChinenyeN(m): 2:31am On Sep 13, 2011
Beaf:

So, you come from Abia where you are rejected by your fellow Igbo NLers to tell me about the history of Delta state?
Dude, piss off.
Is it not you who, with your own loose mouth, decided to mention Ijo, Rivers, and ND? Trust me, there is no "pissing off" for me. You don't know what you're talking about.

1 Like

Re: How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by aljharem3: 2:37am On Sep 13, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Is it not you who, with your own loose mouth, decided to mention Ijo, Rivers, and ND? Trust me, there is no "pissing off" for me. [size=18pt]You don't know what you're talking about.[/size]

gbammm

that is the reality
Re: How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by Beaf: 3:01am On Sep 13, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Is it not you who, with your own loose mouth, decided to mention Ijo, Rivers, and ND? Trust me, there is no "pissing off" for me. You don't know what you're talking about.

Ok, you're welcome to make a fool of yourself, cos Warri is in Rivers state these days.
No wonder your fellow Igbo's see you like spat out phlegm.
Re: How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by aljharem3: 3:07am On Sep 13, 2011
Beaf:

Ok, you're welcome to make a fool of yourself, cos Warri is in Rivers state these days.

please this is history lesson for you

tell me how ijaws gave una land

according to this book, 1860's itsekiris were in warri so what year did ijaws gave itsekiri land

500 AD undecided

http://books.google.com/books?id=8DSa_viBgsgC&pg=PA49&dq=warri+history&hl=en&ei=NbpuTtmDB8eu8QOyp43yCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CFYQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q&f=false
Re: How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by aljharem3: 3:12am On Sep 13, 2011
Beaf:

beaf this is 1400 AD and yet itsekiri were in warri

when exactly did ijaw gave them land grin grin grin LOL 100 BC undecided

http://books.google.com/books?id=1UiaWwlEKrUC&pg=PA52&dq=warri+history+1600s+itsekiri&hl=en&ei=b7tuTp-ELMia8QOCmoWECg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false
Re: How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by ChinenyeN(m): 3:45am On Sep 13, 2011
Stop being idiotic Beaf. If you wanted this to be about Warri, then you should have just said Warri, but you didn't. You had to go out of your way to say all the ND groups, which means you are including Bonny, Opobo, Okrika, Ogoni, etc. This isn't just about Warri anymore. So don't start this idiotic, childish nonsense with me.

Now, if you want to have you Warri discussion, then by all means, feel free to do so. I know nothing about Warri and I couldn't give a single atoni about the place. My issue is when you mention Rivers state and then decide to spread disinformation about how these groups "met the Ijo" and how the Ijo "gave them land to settle".

Such disinformation means you don't know what you're talking about, and I will call you out on it. Simple.

1 Like

Re: How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by aljharem3: 1:43pm On Sep 13, 2011
beaf or any other person should please answer the question by the OP

when and where did ijaw people gave land to bini, yoruba, igbo, ibibio, itsekiri, urhobo etc people

any documented fact and what year were those lands given to them
Re: How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by ChinenyeN(m): 2:08pm On Sep 13, 2011
Yes, let him come and answer. Let him come and explain to us how the Ijo gave "every single ND group" land to settle. Let him come and tell us the traditions of all these ND groups in which they state that they "met Ijo" in Niger Delta and that Ijo "gave them land". Let him come and answer.
Re: How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by mbatuku1: 6:32pm On Sep 13, 2011
I think he meant the ND groups in Delta state.
Re: How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by ChinenyeN(m): 6:41pm On Sep 13, 2011
[quote="Beaf"]Every single ND group from Rivers to Delta[/quote]

If he meant the ND groups in Delta, then he shouldn't have gone out of his way to include Rivers. It is evident, Beaf does not know what he's talking about.
Re: How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by Beaf: 9:00pm On Sep 13, 2011
mbatuku1:

Thanks, you are right. I primarily meant all ND groups that span from Delta state to Rivers, in other words all of Ijaw territory and Delta state. That should have been simple enough for dolts like Chinenyen to see.
Re: How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by Beaf: 9:01pm On Sep 13, 2011
alj_harem:

beaf this is 1400 AD and yet itsekiri were in warri

when exactly did ijaw gave them land grin grin grin LOL 100 BC undecided

http://books.google.com/books?id=1UiaWwlEKrUC&pg=PA52&dq=warri+history+1600s+itsekiri&hl=en&ei=b7tuTp-ELMia8QOCmoWECg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

Gbaramatu was founded in 1100AD. Go figure. Fool.
Re: How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by ChinenyeN(m): 9:25pm On Sep 13, 2011
Mbatuku1, you stated the below:

mbatuku1:

And now see what Beaf said:

Beaf:

I primarily meant all ND groups that span from Delta state to Rivers

If he only meant Delta state, then I wouldn't be here speaking because I don't know what Delta state is and I don't care for it. Yet, he actively and continually includes Rivers state and every ND group in it. So my response will be simple. I will come here and tell him that he does not know what he is talking about.
Re: How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by ChinenyeN(m): 9:34pm On Sep 13, 2011
Once again, if Beaf meant Delta state, then he should stick to that. Otherwise, he should come here and tell us the traditions of the Ngwa, the Obolo, the Khana, the Ikwere, the Etche, etc. He should point to the land that was given and tell us the traditions which state that these people "met Ijo" there and that "Ijo gave them land".

If not, then he should help himself and simply stick to Delta state, because as it stands, Beaf does not know what he is talking about.

I've had enough of these lies and disinformation.
Re: How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by udezue(m): 9:38pm On Sep 13, 2011
So Ijaw gave land to Igbos in Delta and Rivers? LOL Seriously enough of the Ijo nonsense and propaganda. Even if they did they are no longer the owners and honestly no group gave land to anyone. Its plain silly to suggest that some tiny ass group gave land all these people. But anyway I don't know so much about Warri but one thing I know for sure is that Ijo should keep their tales by moonlight stories in Warri or with groups that want to give em the audience. Who gave the Ijo the riverine swampy areas they now call their own? Who gave Enugwu Igbo Enugwu land? Who gave Ibibios, ibibio land?

1 Like

Re: How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by aljharem3: 10:02pm On Sep 13, 2011
mbatuku1:

ND groups are edo, itsekiri, urhobo, isoko, ilaje, igbo, ogoni, ikwerre, and ijaw. that is from ondo to akwa ibom

so you mean to tell me that ijaws gave all of them land
Re: How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by aljharem3: 10:04pm On Sep 13, 2011
Beaf:

Thanks, you are right. I primarily meant all ND groups that span from Delta state to Rivers, in other words all of Ijaw territory and Delta state. That should have been simple enough for dolts like Chinenyen to see.

groups from delta to rivers state are

itsekiri, urhobo, isoko, anioma, ogoni, ikwerre

so ijaws gave all those groups land ?

if yes, then what year and who gave them the land ?
Re: How Much Land Did The Ijaws Give Other Niger Delta Groups And When? by udezue(m): 10:10pm On Sep 13, 2011
LOL Ijo the big land owners gave up all their land to strangers and ended landless, living in swamps. How smart? These land-less ogogoro drinkers will come up with any stories just grab land that is not theirs. Mchew

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? / Oriaku? / The Miship People Of Plateau State, Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.