Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,003 members, 7,817,968 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:25 AM

These Are The Do's And Don't I Was Told As An International Student In Canada - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / These Are The Do's And Don't I Was Told As An International Student In Canada (316 Views)

Cost Of Living In Australia: 5 Things You Must Know As An International Student / Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany / Life in Beijing As an International Student. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

These Are The Do's And Don't I Was Told As An International Student In Canada by abokisas: 8:44am On Feb 23, 2023
Studying abroad can be a challenging but rewarding experience. As an international student in Canada, it’s essential to understand the do’s and don’ts of Canadian college culture.

Here are some tips to help you navigate the college culture in Canada.

Do: Participate in extracurricular activities Extracurricular activities are an essential part of Canadian college culture. They provide opportunities for international students to connect with other students, practice their language skills, and learn about Canadian culture. Joining a club or sports team is an excellent way to get involved and meet new people.

Don’t: Ignore Canadian holidays and traditions Canada has a rich history and culture, and it’s important to respect and acknowledge it. Take the time to learn about Canadian holidays and traditions, such as Canada Day and Thanksgiving. Attend events and participate in traditions to gain a better understanding of Canadian culture.

Do: Use Canadian English Canadian English is different from other English-speaking countries. It’s essential to learn the Canadian pronunciation and spelling of words. This will help you communicate effectively with your professors and classmates.

Don’t: Be late for class or meetings Punctuality is highly valued in Canadian culture. Being late for class or meetings is considered disrespectful. Make sure to plan your time accordingly and arrive on time.

Do: Ask questions and participate in class. Canadian college culture emphasizes critical thinking, active participation, and open discussion. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and participate in class. This will help you better understand the material and show your professors that you’re engaged.

Don’t: Plagiarize Plagiarism is taken very seriously in Canadian college culture. Make sure to cite your sources properly and avoid using other people’s work without permission.

Do: Take care of your mental health Canadian college culture recognizes the importance of mental health. Don’t hesitate to reach out to counselling services or talk to your professors if you’re struggling. Taking care of your mental health is essential to your academic success.

Don’t: Underestimate the weather Canadian winters can be harsh and long, so make sure to prepare for the weather. Invest in a good winter coat, boots, and warm clothing to stay comfortable during the cold months.

I am going to stop here but if you are still not satisfied and you need more point kindly check out the link below, I wrote down about 25 more and I keep updating as everyday.

read more here: https://blog.54history.com/the-dos-and-donts-of-canada-college-culture-for-international-students/

In conclusion, understanding the do’s and don’ts of Canadian college culture is essential for international students. Participate in extracurricular activities, use Canadian English, respect Canadian holidays and traditions, be punctual, ask questions, and take care of your mental health. By following these tips, you can have a successful and fulfilling college experience in Canada.

cc: justnice
cc: niceguy

(1) (Reply)

Anyone Have Problems Getting Tourist Visa To Cambodia? / Life In Bayelsa As A Mechanical Engineering Corper / Why Is America Embassy Denying Nigerian Undergraduates?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.