Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,329 members, 7,815,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:00 PM

CBN's Naira Note Confiscation Is Illegal - Fashola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CBN's Naira Note Confiscation Is Illegal - Fashola (20505 Views)

Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food / London Judge Orders Confiscation Of $130M From Ex-governor Ibori / Tinubu Hails Nigerian Governors Over Supreme Court Ruling On CBN Naira Swap (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN's Naira Note Confiscation Is Illegal - Fashola by Seun(m): 12:09pm On Feb 23, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skmqHLZnb7A?t=680
Fashola appeared on AriseTV this morning to clarify his comments on the CBN's naira redesign policy. He said that the CBN Act doesn't support a confiscation of our old currency but a 1:1 swap of old and new currency. He also accused AriseTV of being biased in their coverage.

Fashola: What has happened in the purported exercise of the Central Bank Act, especially section 20 where it talks about redesigning currencies, it gives powers undoubtedly to Central Bank to undertake that exercise. My understanding of that provision, because I've read it again and again, and what it suggests to me, my interpretation of that section of the law, is that if you choose to redesign a denomination A, say the 100, the 500, or the 200, every time I produce a 200 you must give me a 200. Every time I produce a 1000 you must give me a 1000 back, until that currency denomination is eventually taken out of circulation. {Cash swap is} the word used in the act. So what has been done here has no legal basis. That is my view.

On a cold and calm interpretation, if the law says that you can only take two steps, if you take 4 steps, you have violated the law. Once you're a creature of law. So as I said, let me be clear again, the central bank clearly has powers under section 23 to redesign currency, but that process is a swap. Not to say bring all your money. The law didn't envisage that at all. And to that extent, it is outside the law.

So when I sit down and listen on TV, some people say it is causing pain - understandably, we are all united about the pain and discomfort it is causing - but some people, some media houses seem to have a vested interest in supporting that exercise. I'm wondering what their investment even in their partisanship may be, in an investment in illegality.

The question we should even be asking ourselves is :- the authorization to redesign and swap, approved my Mr President, does it include an authorization to mop up money? Does the Central Bank Act [support it?] Because it's one thing to have an authorization on the fact of the letter of the law and then proceed to do something that is contrarian to law, which is what seems to have happened in my own view.

We will wait for the Supreme Court to determine [how the situation should be resolved]

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN's Naira Note Confiscation Is Illegal - Fashola by Nobody: 12:10pm On Feb 23, 2023
This one don find camera for CBN office ooh

137 Likes 10 Shares

Re: CBN's Naira Note Confiscation Is Illegal - Fashola by Massiveglory: 12:11pm On Feb 23, 2023
It is only illegal now because it affects your political moves.

If the likes of fashola, tinubu, elrufai and the rest have put in a quarter of this "lamenting energy" on all the Killings, bloodshed, nepotism and ills in this government, we would take them serious.

Keep lamentating. Nigerians have moved to bring in PODATTI.

167 Likes 12 Shares

Re: CBN's Naira Note Confiscation Is Illegal - Fashola by id911(m): 12:11pm On Feb 23, 2023
Seun:
Fashola appeared on an AriseTV this morning to clarify his comments on the CBN's naira redesign policy. He said that the CBN Act doesn't support a confiscation of our old currency but a 1:1 swap of old and new currency. He also accused AriseTV of being biased in their coverage.

Upon all the evil policies of Buhari and APC that have subjected Nigerians to so much sufferings, na only Naira swap issue these people fit talk about everyday? I think it's really affecting APC elites that's why they're lamenting. Wailing wailers!

102 Likes 8 Shares

Re: CBN's Naira Note Confiscation Is Illegal - Fashola by slimjohn2k5: 12:16pm On Feb 23, 2023
And politicians naira note confiscation is legal.
Detective Fash

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN's Naira Note Confiscation Is Illegal - Fashola by sotall(m): 12:16pm On Feb 23, 2023
undecided

Fashola the minister of rocket science and darkness and his other pro-emilokan urchins are hypocrites.

Reject APC , reject Tinubu by all means...

51 Likes 4 Shares

Re: CBN's Naira Note Confiscation Is Illegal - Fashola by WibusJaga: 12:16pm On Feb 23, 2023

It's obvious these polithiefcians are fighting for their selfish interests.
If they had been using this same energy to fight for the masses, things would have been OK.

Students wasted away at home for almost a year during ASUU strike & not a word from any of them...

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN's Naira Note Confiscation Is Illegal - Fashola by Qerd: 12:17pm On Feb 23, 2023
Are you struggling to land your dream job or get into your desired graduate school? Allow Services to help you stand out from the crowd with our professional CV revamping, Statement of Purpose, and Cover Letter services.

Our team of experts will work with you to highlight your unique strengths and qualifications, ensuring that your application materials are tailored to the specific requirements of the job or program you're applying for.

And the best part? For a limited time, we're offering each of our services at an unbeatable discounted price of N7,000. Don't miss out on this amazing opportunity to take your career to the next level.

Don't let a subpar application hold you back any longer. Contact Services today and let us help you achieve your goals. Act fast, because this discount won't last forever!

5 Likes

Re: CBN's Naira Note Confiscation Is Illegal - Fashola by Curious345: 12:17pm On Feb 23, 2023
Fashola's criminal side keeps unraveling everyday..

The guy is the biggest scam from Nigeria

42 Likes

Re: CBN's Naira Note Confiscation Is Illegal - Fashola by PointZerom: 12:17pm On Feb 23, 2023
grin

Shut up this useless man.

You failed as a governor, no single project for 8 years.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN's Naira Note Confiscation Is Illegal - Fashola by Curious345: 12:17pm On Feb 23, 2023
I'll love to see Fashola chained like the thief he is and placed in solitary confinement

5 Likes

Re: CBN's Naira Note Confiscation Is Illegal - Fashola by Bluntguy: 12:17pm On Feb 23, 2023
id911:
Fashola and other urchins have become accidental economists. They talk as if they don't know the reason for the naira redesign.
Vote buying in Lagos, banditry in Kaduna, looting in Kano. Yes, let CBN confiscate all monies till after election. Btw, they are still holding unto their old notes thinking they could spend it on election day. Thieves!

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN's Naira Note Confiscation Is Illegal - Fashola by thaoriginator: 12:17pm On Feb 23, 2023
cry
Re: CBN's Naira Note Confiscation Is Illegal - Fashola by New007: 12:17pm On Feb 23, 2023
Minister of darkness. Take your L in peace!

PODATT!

10 Likes

Re: CBN's Naira Note Confiscation Is Illegal - Fashola by zombieHUNTER: 12:17pm On Feb 23, 2023
undecided

Minister of Darkness fighting tooth and nail against Naira redesign..

what concerns fashola, his office with Naira redesign you may ask,

it's all because of his loot and that of his master... it's been rendered useless right before his very eyes..

Fashola Tinubu Oshiomole El rufai Ganduje...
You will all rot in hell for all eternity

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN's Naira Note Confiscation Is Illegal - Fashola by Ladiesdream: 12:18pm On Feb 23, 2023
There is nothing you have done that God cannot forgive.

Except voting for Tinubu.

8 Likes

Re: CBN's Naira Note Confiscation Is Illegal - Fashola by Moh247: 12:19pm On Feb 23, 2023
Many are not objective since they hate Tinubu

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN's Naira Note Confiscation Is Illegal - Fashola by phemmie06(m): 12:19pm On Feb 23, 2023
Nice one... Go join the suite..... It is a pity Supreme Court don close the door

1 Like

Re: CBN's Naira Note Confiscation Is Illegal - Fashola by ALCOHOLKILLS(m): 12:19pm On Feb 23, 2023
Fish brian, what do you know😡😡❌

3 Likes

Re: CBN's Naira Note Confiscation Is Illegal - Fashola by Racoon(m): 12:19pm On Feb 23, 2023
After allowing Buhari impunity and lawlessness to persist for the past 7 years? Senseless SAN.
Re: CBN's Naira Note Confiscation Is Illegal - Fashola by SmartPolician: 12:19pm On Feb 23, 2023
These ones never stop to wail? grin

3 Likes

Re: CBN's Naira Note Confiscation Is Illegal - Fashola by ubest1(m): 12:19pm On Feb 23, 2023
Fash go to court TV station is not court

3 Likes

Re: CBN's Naira Note Confiscation Is Illegal - Fashola by jmoore(m): 12:19pm On Feb 23, 2023
APC introduced a policy.

APC implemented a policy.

APC is complaining about a policy implemented by APC.

APC is fighting against APC.

These clowns are just confused like Babablu Bluublu bulabu.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN's Naira Note Confiscation Is Illegal - Fashola by superCleanworks(m): 12:19pm On Feb 23, 2023
what manner of UGLY SHIRT is this man wearing?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Rochas Okorocha Constructs New Prison Yard In Imo State (Photos) / APC Senators Disenchanted With Oyegun Over ‘plot’ With Govs / Farouk Lawan: Lassa Fever Killed My Witness’ Brother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.