Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,828 members, 7,820,908 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:58 AM

Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read (1177 Views)

I Once Hated The Bible. Couldn't Read It!! / I Became An Atheist After Allah Failed To Heal Me From AIDS / Pastor Adeboye: Daddy Freeze Disparaged, But Failed To Catch On (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by TenQ: 3:32pm On Feb 24, 2023
As usual, I expect some of you Muslims to ramble about every other issue except the topic at hand. If you are IGNORANT of your Religion, it is better to be Quiet than being an EMPTY Barrel!

Islamic narratives speak of the first time Allah sent his words the Qur'an through the angel Jubril.

Mohammed was COMMANDED three different times by Jubril to READ. With each command, Mohammed was squeezed by Jubril (we don't know whether this was a punishment OR an aid to Mohammed to be able to Read).

Qur'an 96:1
ٱقۡرَأۡ بِٱسۡمِ رَبِّكَ ٱلَّذِي خَلَقَ

Read: In the Name of your Lord Who created,

Muslims agree that the Word IQRA "READ" was the first words of Allah to Mohammed.
Unfortunately, even at the end of this encounter, Mohammed could NOT Read.

Some Muslims are trying desperately to say that IQRA mean RECITE rather than READ. Unfortunately, two things get them busted
1. Mohammed said "I cannot READ" rather than "I cannot RECITE".
Sahih al-Bukhari, Book 1, Hadith 3
2. The Qur'an describes the messenger of Allah as unlettered
Qur'an 7:157
Those who follow the Messenger, the unlettered Prophet, whom they find written in their own Scriptures, in the Law and the Gospel..."

3. Mainstream Muslim understanding of the narrative
"When Prophet Muhammad (صَلَّىٰ ٱللَّٰهُ عَلَيْهِ وَآلِهِ وَسَلَّمَ) received his first revelation, he did not know how to read or write"
https://www.islamicity.org/11380/when-an-illiterate-man-was-asked-to-read/

This being said: THE QUESTION
According to Islam, we understand that when Allah says "BE", it happens
1. Why did Mohammed remain UNLETTERED after Allah COMMANDED him to READ three times?
2. What was the essence of the Command "Read" when there was no book given to be read?
3. Why did Mohammed say "I cannot READ" rather than "show me what to read"?

Thank you.

In perspective, imagine if Jesus told a blind man to SEE and the blind man could still not see!

Let's hope there'll be some interesting response

Cc:
LegalWolf Vanessa7 AntiChristian Empiree, Rash4ductluv, BabaHeekmat, Haekymbahd, motayoayinde, drlateef, Thatfairguy1, MrCodeSolo , Hisbah21, thatsleepboy1 , Lordmoh , OBALOLA55, x123xlolls , Lukuluku69 , mhmsadyq, Ibsaq , Herkeym001 , Sulasa07 , hakeemhakeem , abduljabbar4 ,olaalekan ,Friend22 , uthlaw , Exc2000 , AbuTwins ,Akhirastriver ,Akinbahm , Sino , KayB , youngdroly , jaggabban , ukeleh , Realismailakabir , Bami8064 Greatgr , Gaskiyamagana Compton11 , Alfarouq , MrCodeSolo Satmaniac saintHot, drlateef, Donkmore
Akinbahm , IMEI , FATHAT

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by Lukuluku69(m): 3:48pm On Feb 24, 2023
TenQ:
As usual, I expect some of you Muslims to ramble about every other issue except the topic at hand. If you are IGNORANT of your Religion, it is better to be Quiet than being an EMPTY Barrel!

Islamic narratives speak of the first time Allah sent his words the Qur'an through the angel Jubril.

Mohammed was COMMANDED three different times by Jubril to READ. With each command, Mohammed was squeezed by Jubril (we don't know whether this was a punishment OR an aid to Mohammed to be able to Read).

Muslims agree that the Word IQRA "READ" was the first words of Allah to Mohammed.

Some Muslims are trying desperately to say that IQRA mean RECITE rather than READ. Unfortunately, two things get them busted
Those who follow the Messenger, the unlettered Prophet, whom they find written in their own Scriptures, in the Law and the Gospel..."

"When Prophet Muhammad (صَلَّىٰ ٱللَّٰهُ عَلَيْهِ وَآلِهِ وَسَلَّمَ) received his first revelation, he did not know how to read or write"

1. Why did Mohammed remain UNLETTERED after Allah COMMANDED him to READ three times?
2. What was the essence of the Command "Read" when there was no book given to be read?

Thank you.

In perspective, imagine if Jesus told a blind man to SEE and the blind man could still not see!

Oh confused soul!

Iqra has a variety of meanings which "Read" is one of.

It can mean to proclaim, to utter, to read, to recite.

Do some research.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by TenQ: 3:50pm On Feb 24, 2023
Lukuluku69:

Oh confused soul!

Iqra has a variety of meanings which "Read" is one of.

I can mean to proclaim, to utter, to read, to recite.

Do some research.
Thank you.
That was why I presented the questions

Why did Mohammed say:"I CANNOT...." ?

You may wish to educate me sir.
Re: Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by IMEI: 3:54pm On Feb 24, 2023
TenQ:

Thank you.

Cc:
LegalWolf Vanessa7 AntiChristian Empiree, Rash4ductluv, BabaHeekmat, Haekymbahd, motayoayinde, drlateef, Thatfairguy1, MrCodeSolo , Hisbah21, thatsleepboy1 , Lordmoh , OBALOLA55, x123xlolls , Lukuluku69 , mhmsadyq, Ibsaq , Herkeym001 , Sulasa07 , hakeemhakeem , abduljabbar4 ,olaalekan ,Friend22 , uthlaw , Exc2000 , AbuTwins ,Akhirastriver ,Akinbahm , Sino , KayB , youngdroly , jaggabban , ukeleh , Realismailakabir , Bami8064 Greatgr , Gaskiyamagana Compton11 , Alfarouq , MrCodeSolo Satmaniac saintHot, drlateef, Donkmore

Use your sense, even if the Prophet actually wanted to read at that moment, what would he have read? There was no written document there for him to read

It's a quranic command to all people and when it comes to the qur'an, reading is synonymous with reciting...e.g. if i know a chapter of the qur'an by heart, there'll be no need to open the book and read because i can already recite it by heart

The Prophet memorised all that was revealed to him through Allah's command and that satisfies the command to read

If you know anything about qur'an reading and reciting, you'd know that the qur'an is read to be recited and for understanding

For those who understand Arabic, you recite as you read for understanding, non Arabic speakers only recite the Arabic qur'an and read, but not recite translations of the qur'an

Reading and reciting the qur'an is one and the same in its original form i.e. Arabic

Hope that answers the question

3 Likes

Re: Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by Lukuluku69(m): 3:54pm On Feb 24, 2023
TenQ:

Thank you.

Yes he cannot read but he can PROCLAIM, he can REPEAT what he heard.

So, I don't understand your confusion here.

1 Like

Re: Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by AntiChristian: 4:02pm On Feb 24, 2023
Person wey no get wey go never get sense!

His interpretation will be be wrong and he'll continue to argue upon ignorance and arrogance!

1 Like

Re: Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by Dtruthspeaker: 4:05pm On Feb 24, 2023
Lukuluku69:

So you admit and confess that he could not read! Ok.

Any more explanations.
Re: Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by Lukuluku69(m): 4:06pm On Feb 24, 2023
TenQ:

Thank you.

As part of your education, find below the Biblical verse that foretold what you intend to mock in your depraved soul. Find the meanings perhaps it will set you on the right path. Perhaps.

And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned.
Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:
Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid.

-- Isaiah 29:11-14
KJV Holy Bible https://bibliacomigo.page/fkaXzSMgjgzPnRTj6
Re: Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by Dtruthspeaker: 4:07pm On Feb 24, 2023
IMEI:

Use your sense, even if the Prophet actually wanted to read at that moment, what would he have read? There was no written document there for him to read

As the op rightly pointed out, he did not say "please how can I read when there is no book?"

So the question still remains.
Re: Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by Lukuluku69(m): 4:09pm On Feb 24, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

Any more explanations.

Get thee behind me!!!

angry
Re: Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by Dtruthspeaker: 4:15pm On Feb 24, 2023
Lukuluku69:

As part of your education, find below the Biblical verse that foretold what you intend to mock in your depraved soul. Find the meanings perhaps it will set you on the right path. Perhaps.

[b]And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned...

No cheating!

This was not a prophecy but a simile! You did see the word "as" in verse 11 of the the Isaiah 29.

So it does not apply.
Re: Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by Lukuluku69(m): 4:18pm On Feb 24, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

No cheating!

This was not a prophecy but a simile! You did see the word "as" in verse 11 of the the Isaiah 29.

So it does not apply.

Deaf, blind and dumb, they return not!

1 Like

Re: Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by IMEI: 4:23pm On Feb 24, 2023
[url][/url]
Dtruthspeaker:

As the op rightly pointed out, he did not say "please how can I read when there is no book?"

So the question still remains.

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/13488/the-first-revelation-that-came-to-the-messenger-of-allaah

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/1108/the-unlettered-prophet

Please refer to these links
Re: Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by Dtruthspeaker: 4:25pm On Feb 24, 2023
IMEI:
[url][/url]

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/13488/the-first-revelation-that-came-to-the-messenger-of-allaah

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/1108/the-unlettered-prophet

Please refer to these links

You could have said what they said. And I am not really in this fight I was just wondering what kind of answer you people would have.
Re: Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by Nobody: 4:37pm On Feb 24, 2023
Cc:
[/quote]

The Holy prophet S.A was a scholar unlike no other during his reign and his legecy still preceded him. He's the best tutor, proffesor,, guider,teacher, intercessors, the best of creation and your only savior during the day of recompense but this could only be understood by those people who Allah willed.
Re: Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by Nobody: 4:38pm On Feb 24, 2023
TenQ:

Thank you.

Cc:

The Holy prophet S.A was a scholar unlike no other during his reign and his legecy still preceded him. He's the best tutor, proffesor,, guider,teacher, intercessors, the best of creation and your only savior during the day of recompense but this could only be understood by those people who Allah willed
Re: Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by IMEI: 5:18pm On Feb 24, 2023
TenQ:

[i]1. Why did Mohammed remain UNLETTERED after Allah COMMANDED him to READ three times?
3. Why did Mohammed say "I cannot READ" rather than "show me what to read"?/i]

Thank you.

Cc:

Like i mentioned earlier, the Qur'an doesn't have to be read like a book inorder to be understood

the qur'an can be learnt through recitations alone and memorised by heart in that manner, just as millions have done

This command READ pertains to the qur'an because it's part of a verse that goes " Read in the name of your Lord"...when reading/reciting the qur'an we say 'BISMILLAH' i.e. In the name of Allah

Once again reading and reciting are the same when it comes to the qur'an (Arabic), so the Prophet fulfills the command by memorising and understanding the qur'an

the command 'READ' isn't in isolation, it's part of a verse and the beginning of revelation. 'READ' pertains to reading/reciting the qur'an i.e. the verse revealed then and subsequent to be revealed

The Prophet could neither read nor write both at that time and even until his death, an illiterate won't ask you what to read when he can't read in the first place

Don't forget, it was a terrifying experience for him, he was alone and the Angel Jibril appeared to him and started commanding him
Re: Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by TenQ: 5:31pm On Feb 24, 2023
IMEI:

It's a quranic command to all people and when it comes to the qur'an, reading is synonymous with reciting...e.g. if i know a chapter of the qur'an by heart, there'll be no need to open the book and read because i can already recite it by heart

The Prophet memorised all that was revealed to him through Allah's command and that satisfies the command to read

If you know anything about qur'an reading and reciting, you'd know that the qur'an is read to be recited and for understanding

For those who understand Arabic, you recite as you read for understanding, non Arabic speakers only recite the Arabic qur'an and read, but not recite translations of the qur'an

Reading and reciting the qur'an is one and the same in its original form i.e. Arabic

Hope that answers the question
Why was Mohammed's response to Jubril's instruction was "I CANNOT READ" rather than "I CANNOT RECITE"?

Why do your Islamic scholars translate IQRA as READ rather than RECITE in your Tafsirs
Re: Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by TenQ: 5:32pm On Feb 24, 2023
Lukuluku69:

The Hadiths say that Mohammed's response was "I CANNOT READ" rather than "I CANNOT RECITE"!

Can you explain why?
Re: Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by TenQ: 5:34pm On Feb 24, 2023
AntiChristian:
Person wey no get wey go never get sense!

His interpretation will be be wrong and he'll continue to argue upon ignorance and arrogance!
I presented facts according to your Islamic sources. My addition to this was to ask questions.

Re: Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by TenQ: 5:34pm On Feb 24, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

Any more explanations.
Muslims should tell us what Mohammed's response to the command was?
Re: Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by TenQ: 5:37pm On Feb 24, 2023
Lukuluku69:

And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned.
Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:
Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid.

-- Isaiah 29:11-14
KJV Holy Bible https://bibliacomigo.page/fkaXzSMgjgzPnRTj6
Is this verse about Mohammed OR you want to understand the meaning?

Mohammed's response to the Command of Jubril clears the whole matter

The Hadiths say that Mohammed's response was "I CANNOT READ" rather than "I CANNOT RECITE"!

Can you explain why?
Re: Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by Lukuluku69(m): 5:39pm On Feb 24, 2023
TenQ:

Can you explain why?

Confused one, I cannot read, I cannot recite would still be Iqra!

That word has varied meanings. Read, Proclaim, Recite, desport are all shades of meaning with that word.

Do some Research in Arabic.

1 Like

Re: Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by TenQ: 5:42pm On Feb 24, 2023
Lukuluku69:

Confused one, I cannot read, I cannot recite would still be Iqra!

That word has varied meanings. Read, Proclaim, Recite, desport are all shades of meaning with that word.

Do some Research in Arabic.
1. Have you agreed that Isaiah 29:11-14 could not have been about Mohammed
2. Why would Mohammed say "he cannot RECITE"?

The logical question should be what should I recite as EVERYONE can recite.
Re: Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by Lukuluku69(m): 5:42pm On Feb 24, 2023
TenQ:

Is this verse about Mohammed OR you want to understand the meaning?

Mohammed's response to the Command of Jubril clears the whole matter

Can you explain why?

Rather than go on another wild goose chase with the meanings of the verses I quoted, I think the question you should trouble your head with is who was given a book with the command to read and his response being I can not read.

And before you go on, that speech were not uttered in English o.
Re: Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by Lukuluku69(m): 5:43pm On Feb 24, 2023
TenQ:

1. Have you agreed that Isaiah 29:11-14 could not have been about Mohammed
2. Why would Mohammed say "he cannot RECITE"?

The logical question should be what should I recite as EVERYONE can recite.

If it was not him, then who?
Re: Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by TenQ: 5:46pm On Feb 24, 2023
Lukuluku69:

Rather than go on another wild goose chase with the meanings of the verses I quoted, I think the question you should trouble your head with is who was given a book with the command to read and his response being I can not read.

And before you go on, that speech were not uttered in English o.
I just want to understand based on your Islamic Narratives.

Can you show me a Hadith that reports about IQRA Where Mohammed's response was "I CANNOT RECITE" rather than "I CANNOT READ"?

Sahih al-Bukhari, Book 1, Hadith 3 doesn't seem to agree with you, perhaps there are some other HADITHS that describe Mohammeds response as "I CANNOT RECITE "!
Re: Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by Lukuluku69(m): 5:50pm On Feb 24, 2023
TenQ:

I just want to understand based on your Islamic Narratives.

Can you show me a Hadith that reports about IQRA Where Mohammed's response was "I CANNOT RECITE" rather than "I CANNOT READ"?

Sahih al-Bukhari, Book 1, Hadith 3 doesn't seem to agree with you, perhaps there are some other HADITHS that describe Mohammeds response as "I CANNOT RECITE "!

Bros, you are just blowing grammar. Learn some Arabic. It is unlike English. If you are Yoruba, you will understand it a bit.

What you have are just translations.

1 Like

Re: Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by TenQ: 5:52pm On Feb 24, 2023
Lukuluku69:

If it was not him, then who?
Verse 10 actually says who?

Isa 29:10-12:
"For the LORD has poured out on you the spirit of deep sleep, and has closed your eyes: the prophets and your rulers, the seers has he covered.
And the vision of all is become to you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray you: and he said, I cannot; for it is sealed: And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray you: and he said, I am not learned."

The verse was directed at children of Israel that God has poured on them a spirit of deep sleep. Was Mohammed under God's punishment?
Specifically, God refers to the prophets of Israel, their Seers and their rulers.

Please read verse 10 again and tell me it refers to Mohammed.
Re: Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by TenQ: 5:55pm On Feb 24, 2023
Lukuluku69:

Bros, you are just blowing grammar. Learn some Arabic. It is unlike English. If you are Yoruba, you will understand it a bit.

What you have are just translations.
I believe that some of your scholars made the interpretations, they should be more qualified both in Arabic, English and Islam to translate properly in context.

That was why I ASKED
Re: Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by Lukuluku69(m): 5:59pm On Feb 24, 2023
TenQ:

Verse 10 actually says who?

Isa 29:10-12:
"For the LORD has poured out on you the spirit of deep sleep, and has closed your eyes: the prophets and your rulers, the seers has he covered.
And the vision of all is become to you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray you: and he said, I cannot; for it is sealed: And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray you: and he said, I am not learned."

The verse was directed at children of Israel that God has poured on them a spirit of deep sleep. Was Mohammed under God's punishment?
Specifically, God refers to the prophets of Israel, their Seers and their rulers.

Please read verse 10 again and tell me it refers to Mohammed.

The problem with you, with your likes is that you take a verse or may be two and run with it.

Why not look at the whole Chapter to get a better understanding of what the Oracle says?

I can take you on, the whole of Isaiah, from Chapter One till the very last and if only you will open your eyes, those blind eyes of yours and you will see nothing but the rise of the Arabian Prophet and the rise of the Arabs.

But I know you won't see it, so why would I waste my time?

That deep sleep you alluded to is the slumber your God's children would be when the Arabian Prophets rises.

Let go of your ignorant arrogant mis-yarns and walk with me, I can wean you.....

1 Like

Re: Allah's Failed Command: Mohammed Still Couldn't Read by Lukuluku69(m): 6:04pm On Feb 24, 2023
TenQ:

I believe that some of your scholars made the interpretations, they should be more qualified both in Arabic, English and Islam to translate properly in context.

That was why I ASKED

The Scholars are straight jacketed with English. Examples abound in the Quran where there are no equivalent words in English but had to make do with what is available.

The Word Rabb has no equivalent in English but the Translators had to make do with Lord

The word Yisa/Isa can only take the form of Jesus because that is what the English know.

So, as you can see, the Translators had limited openings. That is why we prefer the Arabic. It is as it was for Thousands of years.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Religion: Biggest Forum On Nairaland? / Muslims, What Terminates Fastings? / Odega Shawa Exposes The Pastors Of The Apocalypse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.