Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,015 members, 7,814,467 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:23 PM

Women Who Choose To Have Cesarean . . . - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Women Who Choose To Have Cesarean . . . (1873 Views)

CESAREAN SECTION: The Clash Of The Spirituals, The Liberals And The Man / People Who Choose Not To Have Kids Or Get Married / Video: Natural Birth And Cesarean Section (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Women Who Choose To Have Cesarean . . . by emofine(f): 5:00pm On Sep 13, 2011
Is there a greater price or value when a woman goes through all those hours of labour to give birth to her child? I read somewhere that when women give birth there is a particular chemical that is released that bonds the mother and child - the same with br[i]e[/i]as[i]t[/i] feeding, according to science.

I guess I've grown up in the belief that part of the parcel of pregnancy was to also pass through that labour of love by secreting the child naturally - of course this is just my own notion not scientific fact.

Now I must underline that I know any mother loves her child but I think a part of me reckons that perhaps in vanity or not wanting to pass through such pain for the sake of their child leads me to question the fortitude of their love at that particular period. I imagine that any mother would be willing to carry any kind of pain for their children (unborn or not).

P.S It's not my intention to cast judgment or frown on peoples choices I'm just naturally inquisitive - I hope I haven't offended anyone most especially mothers.
Re: Women Who Choose To Have Cesarean . . . by r231(m): 6:00pm On Sep 13, 2011
undecided
Re: Women Who Choose To Have Cesarean . . . by ronkebp(f): 6:21pm On Sep 13, 2011
PERSONALLY, I DO NOT KNOW A THING ABOUT THE CHEMICAL BEING RELEASED WHEN TO DELIVER THAT BONDS A MOTHER TO HER CHILD, BUT I KNOW BREASTFEEDING, GIVES THAT MOTHER AND CHILD BOND, WHEN I WAS WEANING MY CHILD, I CRIED, BECAUSE HE WANTED HIS 'MUMMY', THOUGH HE STILL CLINGS ON TO ME AND RUBS HIS HEAD AGAINST MY CHEST OOO AND PRETENDS HE IS JUST HUGGING ME, grin grin grin
Re: Women Who Choose To Have Cesarean . . . by Nobody: 6:25pm On Sep 13, 2011
//
Re: Women Who Choose To Have Cesarean . . . by Nobody: 6:36pm On Sep 13, 2011
^^^ u are seriously on point smiley
Re: Women Who Choose To Have Cesarean . . . by blank(f): 7:21pm On Sep 13, 2011
Had an emergency CS and it was horrible. I did not immediately bond with my baby as i was trying to get through the pain and it was hard. It took almost 3 weeks to feel that "bond". Anywayz sha, i dey ready to av pikin nos 2 but the pikin dey take style late.
Re: Women Who Choose To Have Cesarean . . . by Sissy3(f): 7:30pm On Sep 13, 2011
well sadly some "women" do see the need to place greater price on vagi.nal birth because in their deluded thinking it makes you more of a woman. you havent seen where some women are outright insulted and demeaned by other women because they birthed their children through CS? ever wonder why some women hide the fact that they gave birth through CS from others? inasmuch as elective CS and co are now more in the spotlight, the stigma of CS is still booming in some places

1 Like

Re: Women Who Choose To Have Cesarean . . . by ronkebp(f): 7:37pm On Sep 13, 2011
~Sissy~:

well sadly some "women" do see the need to place greater price on vagi.nal birth because in their deluded thinking it makes you more of a woman. you havent seen where some women are outright insulted and demeaned by other women because they birthed their children through CS? ever wonder why some women hide the fact that they gave birth through CS from others? inasmuch as elective CS and co are now more in the spotlight, the stigma of CS is still booming in some places

The level of civility is at play here, (you are very right!!!) such women do not understand and would never understand.
Re: Women Who Choose To Have Cesarean . . . by emofine(f): 8:08pm On Sep 13, 2011
chaircover:

I dont think that women who choose to go for an elective CS do so because they dont want to feel pain. The Pain of a CS is probably on par with labour. It is major surgery and the wound wont just heal in 24 hours.

I have heard reasons such as wanting the baby on a particular day to fit in with other things, not wanting tears or an episiotomy, a traumatic previous labour etc but on the whole I dont think that that many women actually request for an elective CS for the reasons above. Many women have an elective CS for medical reasons & many others end up with emergency CS's

The most important thing is that baby and mother are healthy

very Informative . . smiley I can't believe I never even factored in the pain of CS . . . I 've heard women who months after birth still feel the pain.

~Sissy~:

Yes, sadly I believe there is a stigma attached to CS. Many (like me) don't understand it in it's entirety and then we are inundated with stories of celebrities having cesarean and some of us assume that it might be a high maintenance or even vanity thing, since it's casted as a lifestyle choice because of the way it has been portrayed in the media i.e. . . "too posh to push".
Re: Women Who Choose To Have Cesarean . . . by emofine(f): 8:09pm On Sep 13, 2011
ronkebp:

PERSONALLY, I DO NOT KNOW A THING ABOUT THE CHEMICAL BEING RELEASED WHEN TO DELIVER THAT BONDS A MOTHER TO HER CHILD, BUT I KNOW BREASTFEEDING, GIVES THAT MOTHER AND CHILD BOND, WHEN I WAS WEANING MY CHILD, I CRIED, BECAUSE HE WANTED HIS 'MUMMY',  THOUGH HE STILL CLINGS ON TO ME AND RUBS HIS HEAD AGAINST MY CHEST OOO AND PRETENDS HE IS JUST HUGGING ME,  grin grin grin

grin grin

blank:

Had an emergency CS and it was horrible. I did not immediately bond with my baby as i was trying to get through the pain and it was hard. It took almost 3 weeks to feel that "bond". Anywayz sha, i dey ready to av pikin nos 2 but the pikin dey take style late.

Goodluck smiley
Re: Women Who Choose To Have Cesarean . . . by Sissy3(f): 8:20pm On Sep 13, 2011
blank:

hehehehe so true jare. some make you feel you are somewhat "out there", if you didn't immediately bond with your baby.
Re: Women Who Choose To Have Cesarean . . . by Nobody: 10:04pm On Sep 13, 2011
There's nothing posh about CS I beg! Its extremely painful and the recovery time is much longer than a reguar birth. Most women do it for medical reasons and the few who chose to do it selectively still feel major pain afterwards. All in all, as long as both the mother and child are fine that is all that matters, you will bond with your child in due time
Re: Women Who Choose To Have Cesarean . . . by Nobody: 2:17am On Sep 14, 2011
@ blank

I pray the next is a natural birth. I beg take it easy o with the s/h/a/g/s grin .Truth is having 2 CS' not so far apart is not healthy and ideal. A woman is supposed to wait for sometime except the other turns out to be natural birth. Some have had to wait a couple of years before trying again. Too many cases of ruptured uterus practitoners deal with cos of this. Just an advise sis.

@Topic
I don't think people chose to have CS most of the time. It just had to happen to save the mum n baby's life. There was this woman(this happened a long time ago) that was so bleeding, huge chunks of blood that some of us freaked out n was so scared there was a blood clot ,that we had to make a decision. Thank goodness her hubby agreed to it instanta, I mean his wife could barely keep her eyes open,very weak she was. CS was the only option, either that or lives would be lost.

There was also another woman who refused to have a CS despite pleas from surgeons and midwives that the baby's life was in danger. She and her man refused, when the baby came out, it was completely blue in colour, yea dead ofcourse. I remember wrapping the baby up in the little cot and taking the body to the next room. It was a pitiful sight. I did shed a tear or 2 that day.
Re: Women Who Choose To Have Cesarean . . . by nassiwa: 8:02am On Sep 14, 2011
Cesarean was used under certain circumstances but now days women opt for it even when they could deliver normally. i dont know but i think it is OK as a woman doesn't go through a lot of labor pains
Re: Women Who Choose To Have Cesarean . . . by oluite(f): 12:38pm On Sep 14, 2011
@OP
I know of someone who had all babies via CS because she said its Straightforward and far better,not for any medical reason.Another Pharmacist relative after watching an emergency live CS section told me the same thing only she quickly changed her mind when we went  visiting and saw the terrible pain the lady who had the CS was in. For me its whichever is safer at the time of delivery either CS or natural birth so far mother and child are alive and doing well.
Re: Women Who Choose To Have Cesarean . . . by emofine(f): 3:58pm On Sep 14, 2011
oluite:

@OP
I know of someone who had all babies via CS because she said its Straightforward and far better,not for any medical reason.

. . . hmm interesting. How many children did she have? I heard that a woman can only employ CS up until a certain amount of births.
Re: Women Who Choose To Have Cesarean . . . by oluite(f): 4:04pm On Sep 14, 2011
2 children.
Re: Women Who Choose To Have Cesarean . . . by horny4u(f): 10:35pm On Sep 14, 2011
CS or natural , all na to born pickin,

some natural births donot bond immediately and CS does not mean you will cook your child for dinner,

Lets gather knowledge and depend on the truth only, choose what works for you and let go of Dogma.
Re: Women Who Choose To Have Cesarean . . . by tsmith(f): 10:40am On Sep 15, 2011
I have two kids, and opted for elective CS for my 2nd. Reason been a long and traumatic previous child birth. Despite my 1st child was born virginally, i actually do not recollect or have favorable memories of the birth. I was in labour for 36hours, my water had broken at home on a Thursday morning abt 7am, but the midwife's on examination ddnt blv me and said membrane still intact. I was i so much pain and couldn't sleep or rest, as apparently the baby was laying back to back and pressing down on. so I was pressed, but not no pee would come out. Anyway i stayed back at the hospital and finally got reexamined Friday morning after much begging, only for the midwife to say 'he's got so much hair'. meaning for them to feel his hair, the water must have broken and i was with them all along and they kept saying it hadn't. Now you would imagine that since my water had broken more than 24hrs ago, and my labour wasn't proceeding as expected, they shd fastrack it, due to the possibility of infections for both mother and child.

But hell no, the took me through the A - Z of all medical options; i took all the pain relief options, gas and air, pethidine, epidural and wat more. I was literally begging for CS, but was made to sign going through forceps, vastrum (not sure its the right spelling) then CS as a last resort. My idea is we are going to 'Z', which is having a a healthy baby and a living mother, rigth. why take me through , P,Q,R, S, T, , just go to the damn Z once and for all. I didn't give birth until 10pm Friday night via forceps with a really painful epistomy.

Now tell me, after all that and much more post birth issues; 5 days on the hospital for antibiotics (due to the time btw water breaking and actual childbirth), my son was also in ICU for the first few days, or is it his cone shaped head, due to staying too long in the birth canal etc. I sensibly asked for a CS right from day 1 of discovering I was pregnant with a 2nd child. This time around, no shaking, all the consultants tried to convince me otherwise, but hell no.

My decision was based on 2 main issues,

1.) I would rather guarantee my child's life and endure post birth pain (which blv me wasn't as bad as the epistomy recovery, I was driving by day 4 and actually did very well.)
2.) I like some form of control and certainty around things. (i know ppl wld argue that nothing is uncertain, but blv me, some things are more certain than others). research it, the Royal family by standards give birth by CS, as it more controlled, likewise celebs, its not a matter of too posh to push, it because they are perceived to be very important, therefore their life's needs to be preserved by all means.

I won't be having anymore kids, but if I were, i would opt for CS without a doubt. Also in the last 2 months, 2 incidents have occurred to buttress my notion and argument. 4 of my friends were pregnant at the same time. of these 3 of them are very close friends, and ppl teased it was planned as they were just days apart. Can you imagine that of the 4, only 1 had a straight forward delivery? the 2nd actually gave birth the very next day after the 1st of my friends, yeah she delivered vaginally without issues but went into a comma some 30minutes after due to the birth trauma she experienced. She had a brain hemorrhage, whereby a vein burst and blood was collecting on her brain. She could have died. 2 months down the line, she is slowly recovering, we thank God. Still in the hospital, not yet set eyes on her baby, her memory is messed up and its still a long way from recovery.

the 3rd was trying for a vaginal delivery, but after a some days in the hospital and no induction process worked, they had to do CS. Only for them to discover the baby's heart was weak (another ICU trip), she had kidney issues, as she wsnt weeing and 2 weeks after is back in the hospital for lungs infections.

Makes one wonder, if only they had asked for elective CS from the very start.

1 Like

Re: Women Who Choose To Have Cesarean . . . by oluchikeh(f): 4:34pm On Sep 15, 2011
Had a cs afta almost 48hrs of labor and still lost d baby due to prolonged labor. Ive just had baby 2 via elective cs and 9wks still waiting 4 d wound to fully but have my baby with me. Elective cs is a better option
Re: Women Who Choose To Have Cesarean . . . by DrummaBoy(m): 4:59pm On Sep 15, 2011
Thanks U tsmith
My mind is made up: Its elective CS O for my wife. I no wan wahala
Re: Women Who Choose To Have Cesarean . . . by DrummaBoy(m): 5:02pm On Sep 15, 2011
Que: My wife had surgery 2 remove fibroid. The wound healed quickly. Is there a diff btw this surgery healing and CS?
Re: Women Who Choose To Have Cesarean . . . by tsmith(f): 5:19pm On Sep 15, 2011
@drummaboy

I'm no medics, but from friends experiences, it the same cut for fibroid and CS. Ppl's body heal differently, so if your wife healed fine from her Fibroid ops, i reckon she wld do just as well from CS.

Also, from 3 friend's experiences with fibroid, it was safer to give birth via CS as often enough more fibroid would grow with the foetus. But at the end of the day, it is the doctor's and your wife's decision to make.

@oluchikeh - I experienced a lil delayed healing with my stitch as well, though mainly my fault as I was driving quite often and long distance, the seating position isn't the best for keeping the scar dry, which is essential for healing. I was prescribed antispectic powder, which worked a treat together with some TLC and attention.
Re: Women Who Choose To Have Cesarean . . . by DrummaBoy(m): 5:39pm On Sep 15, 2011
Thanks again tsmith. I would show my wife ur response soon as I get home
She's a doc but can do wit those advices
Re: Women Who Choose To Have Cesarean . . . by blank(f): 6:33pm On Sep 15, 2011
Pls, if she wants to do a natural birth, let her do so. I wish i had a natural birth but things happen. I still want a natural birth but it is impossible now. God dey.

(1) (Reply)

9 Reasons Not To Walk Babies / Proof That Your Mother-inlaw Is A Witch! / My Son Is Ill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.