Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,523 members, 7,837,002 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:38 PM

Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? (1835 Views)

You Cannot Be President Without 25% In 24 States- Osita Chidoka / “Nobody Can Be Nigeria's President Without Getting 25% In FCT”—Kadaria Ahmed / Keyamo: How To Become President Without WAEC Certificate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by concho(m): 10:14pm On Feb 28, 2023
This is for Educative purposes and I plead with all who knows and can interpret the acts and constitutions to assist us.

I'm just a trader and would love to get clarity on this

Can I become a president of FRN if I meet other constitutional requirements without making 25% in FCT ?
Re: Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by Abfinest007(m): 10:20pm On Feb 28, 2023
concho:
This is for Educative purposes and I plead with all who knows and can interpret the acts and constitutions to assist us.

Can I become a president of FRN if I meet other constitutional requirements without making 25% in FCT ?
yes bcuz Abuja is seen as a "State" if tinubu can get it else where

6 Likes

Re: Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by ademasta(m): 10:56pm On Feb 28, 2023
Very big yes
Re: Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by AndroBlaze: 11:09pm On Feb 28, 2023
concho:

I will copy and paste an answer I had dropped 2 days ago even before Abuja election results came in...but as a trader and a logical human being, do you think somebody should not be president of a whole Nigeria because he cannot get 25% in only one area in Nigeria that had a population that was less than some local governments just a few years back? What sense does it make, and imagine if the FCT was still Lagos as it was before, that means we Southerners could always engineer that no Northerner would ever be president...just think about it. Who would agree to that kind of rule?? What if I win all 36states in Nigeria but cannot get 25% in FCT, what should happen to me?

Workch:
As it stands.

According to constitution, winner must get 25% in FCT

Actually, like I have said before, even if the candidate does not get 25% in Abuja, if he get 25% in a 25th state, he will win. Abuja is not a state and thats why it is always mentioned by name. It should be called the 25 state rule

https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/articles/c1r82py31g9o.amp

https://www.channelstv.com/2023/01/24/winning-fct-not-requirement-to-emerge-president-falana/amp/

3 Likes

Re: Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by PointB: 11:14pm On Feb 28, 2023
concho:

Short answer is NO.

Long answer:

QUESTION What if a candidate wins the majority votes, and 25% in 36 states, but fails to win 25% in the FCT. What happen, according to the constitution?

If a presidential or gubernatorial candidate wins the majority of votes and also secures at least 25% of the votes cast in each of at least two-thirds of Nigeria's 36 states, but fails to secure 25% of the votes cast in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja, according to the Nigerian Constitution, such a candidate cannot be declared the winner of the election.

In this scenario, the election would be declared inconclusive, and the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) would have to organize a supplementary election in the FCT to determine the winner.

It is important to note that the provision of securing at least 25% of the votes cast in each of at least two-thirds of Nigeria's 36 states and the FCT is a constitutional requirement that must be met for a presidential or gubernatorial candidate to be declared the winner of an election in Nigeria.

Source: ChatGPT

7 Likes

Re: Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by famouscargo4u: 11:17pm On Feb 28, 2023
concho:

Yes, you can! The law states that for one to win, he must have the majority of the vote and as well have 2/3rd in the 36 states in the country and the FCT. According to Chapter 8 section 299 of the Constitution, it states that for the purpose of interpretation, the FCT should be regarded as a state. This therefore implies that whoever has majority of the votes and 25% in at least 25 states with or without the FCT will be declared winner.

2 Likes

Re: Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by Bmaster(m): 11:25pm On Feb 28, 2023
famouscargo4u:

Yes, you can! The law states that for one to win, he must have the majority of the vote and as well have 2/3rd in the 36 states in the country and the FCT. According to Chapter 8 section 299 of the Constitution, it states that for the purpose of interpretation, the FCT should be regarded as a state. This therefore implies that whoever has majority of the votes and 25% in at least 25 states with or without the FCT will be declared winner.
this is 'your' interpretation.
U guys are not smart riggers sef,oh how high we have held you urchins in this game before now.

Obi is coming

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by gaby(m): 11:28pm On Feb 28, 2023
concho:

As the name implies "Federal Capital Territory" a.k.a The Center of Unity.

Being the melting pot of all the States/citizens of the Federation, it only makes sense that anyone who intends to superintend over the country should be able to garner the support of at least 25% of the mini-Nigeria (F.C.T) and in my opinion, this clause was well intended and finely drafted.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by updatechange(m): 11:33pm On Feb 28, 2023
A rerun will do it… but I’m confident Asiwaju will reclaim his mandate
Re: Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by AndroBlaze: 11:35pm On Feb 28, 2023
Bmaster:
U guys are not smart riggers sef,oh how high we have held you urchins in this game before now.

Obi is coming

I have a friend who always use to boast about how APC and Buhari could never win Rivers as long as Wike was alive, as Wike is a "strongman", he was right and celebrated Wike the "strongman in 2015 and 2019, despite knowing fully well how the "strongman" always won his elections....to cut the story short, he is crying now as the "Strongman" has struck again !!!

If you support an injustice now, it will comeback to haunt you, that is the law of the world and those who God chooses to grant long life to will always see these things and laugh about it.

So if you like, keep saying you cannot be President without winning Abuja (when you know deep in your heart it is a lie), jt will come back and haunt you when you least expect it.

3 Likes

Re: Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by famouscargo4u: 11:50pm On Feb 28, 2023
Bmaster:

Obi is coming

Obi is cumming you meant? All the results have been collated. And my position on FCT is as the law states.
Re: Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by Goke7: 11:59pm On Feb 28, 2023
Section 299 of the constitution says that for the purpose of interpretation of the Constitution, the FCT is regarded as a State.

The implication is that:

The FCT is a State but given a name.

Since the FCT is given a name by the drafts men, it won't be right to say 37 states.

However, the name is 36 States and the FCT. It simply means 37 states.

Tinubu has met the requirements.

The court has affirmed that position and the constitution is clear.

#copied

2 Likes

Re: Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by Goke7: 12:00am On Mar 01, 2023
The reason FCT was specifically mentioned is to cure a situation where somebody will have 25% in 23 states and in Abuja. Abuja is technically not a state because it does not function exactly as a state does but has however be confirmed with the status of a state by the constitution. If Abuja was not mentioned, people would have argued that 25% in Abuja does not count as part of the 24 states.
So, to cure this, the constitution had to specifically mention Abuja to let us know that Abuja can be counted as part of the 24 states for the 25% requirement. What it then means is that if a candidate got 25% in 23 states as well as in Abuja, that candidate is assumed to have gotten 25% in 24 states and as such, met the 25% requirement.

4 Likes

Re: Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by mikelopez: 12:18am On Mar 01, 2023
This is pure open daylight robbery

They can NEVER escape this rigging

The youths are coming for them

It will happen so fast that they will not be able to escape

Massive Nationwide riots loading

Just wait for INEC to announce the results

220,000,000 people and how many soldiers do we have in the arm forces less than 5,000,000.

The security forces can NEVER crush over 220,000,000 Nigerians

Let that sink

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by monkautos(m): 12:47am On Mar 01, 2023
No baba. The constitution used "and" conjunction and article "the" for FCT. Meaning and the FCT

FCT is compulsory

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by PointB: 12:50am On Mar 01, 2023
Goke7:
Section 299 of the constitution says that for the purpose of interpretation of the Constitution, the FCT is regarded as a State.

The implication is that:

The FCT is a State but given a name.

Since the FCT is given a name by the drafts men, it won't be right to say 37 states.

However, the name is 36 States and the FCT. It simply means 37 states.

Tinubu has met the requirements.

The court has affirmed that position and the constitution is clear.

#copied

So why is INEC not conducting Governorship Election for the FCT, if it's a state?
Re: Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by FarahAideed: 12:52am On Mar 01, 2023
Technically you cant , our constitution is very clear on its definition of a State and if you fow these you realize Abuja is not a state in Nigeria but a distinct terrorist belongings to the Federal Govt
Re: Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by waynetee(m): 12:58am On Mar 01, 2023
Yes of course! FCT is treated like a state NOT superior to a state.. This is very straight forward yet they are looking for what is not lost.

wait If its FCT result that will determine the winner so what is the point of election in other states. Are people voting in Abuja different from the rest of the states?

THIS IS TOO ABSURD. Find another excuse

2 Likes

Re: Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by KanwuliaExtra: 1:00am On Mar 01, 2023
Nooooooo!

YOU CANNOT. cheesy

INEC played a fast one on the ILLITERATES IN APC!!!
Dem carry Jagabandit money. . . rig nonsense for am.
WHY DID INEC NOT RIG FCT FOR TINUBU? They knew what they were doing.
Now we have a run-off.
NA DIE!!!!
grin

2 Likes

Re: Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by waynetee(m): 1:14am On Mar 01, 2023
PointB:

So why is INEC not conducting Governorship Election for the FCT, if it's a state?

FCT is not a state, but it should be treated as a state according to the constitution!

I can treat you like a king when you are not one! Fct do not need to have a Governor before it can be treated as a state.
Re: Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by PointB: 1:17am On Mar 01, 2023
waynetee:

FCT is not a state, but it should be treated as a state according to the constitution!

I can treat you like a king when you are not one! Fct do not need to have a Governor before it can be treated as a state.

Right. But you need to obtain the permission to do that by getting 25% of the vote cast in FCT.
Re: Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by GeneralPulal: 1:22am On Mar 01, 2023
There’s no need of being biased at all as it is of no use..

I’ve answered this one a particular thread..

Here’s your answer below:

Re: Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by waynetee(m): 1:26am On Mar 01, 2023
PointB:

Right. But you need to obtain the permission to do that by getting 25% of the vote cast in FCT.

Where is that stated?

Let me ask you this, why did you think the winner must have 25% of FCT, let's put constitution aside now since its confusing you
Re: Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by chamboi1: 1:27am On Mar 01, 2023
Obidients law.
Re: Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by PointB: 1:33am On Mar 01, 2023
waynetee:

Where is that stated?

Let me ask you this, why did you think the winner must have 25% of FCT, let's put constitution aside now since its confusing you

FCT is not a state. It a representation of the diversity of Nigeria. Winning it would be nice, but not winning 25% of the vote is frowned upon by the constitution. I posed a question about FCT to the ChatGPT app and this is what it came up with:

What if a candidate wins the majority votes, and 25% in 36 states, but fails to win 25% in the FCT. What happen, according to the constitution?

If a presidential or gubernatorial candidate wins the majority of votes and also secures at least 25% of the votes cast in each of at least two-thirds of Nigeria's 36 states, but fails to secure 25% of the votes cast in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja, according to the Nigerian Constitution, such a candidate cannot be declared the winner of the election.

In this scenario, the election would be declared inconclusive, and the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) would have to organize a supplementary election in the FCT to determine the winner.

It is important to note that the provision of securing at least 25% of the votes cast in each of at least two-thirds of Nigeria's 36 states and the FCT is a constitutional requirement that must be met for a presidential or gubernatorial candidate to be declared the winner of an election in Nigeria.

- ChatGPT

According to the Nigerian constitution, Tinubu will NOT be declared winner. The best he can hope for is a run-off. Atiku will win the run-off, and Obi will retrieve his mandate from Atiku.
Re: Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by waynetee(m): 1:52am On Mar 01, 2023
PointB:

FCT is not a state. It a representation of the diversity of Nigeria. Winning it would be nice, but not winning 25% of the vote is frowned upon by the constitution. I posed a question about FCT to the ChatGPT app and this is what it came up with:

According to the Nigerian constitution, Tinubu will NOT be declared winner. The best he can hope for is a run-off. Atiku will win the run-off, and Obi will retrieve his mandate from Atiku.

Why are the clinching to the fantasy that those who voted in abuja are special when they are not... All the government officials sef voted in in their various states.
Abuja is even less important than the rest of the states, the constitution just try to merge it up to state standards.

Forget all these, its a fool's game!
Re: Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by sonnie10: 1:55am On Mar 01, 2023
waynetee:

Where is that stated?

My little neighbor wrote O’levels and got A1 in all 7 subjects but pass in math and English. He did not even bother to step foot into the university gate of his choice because the require for admission states 5 O’levels credits AND INCLUDING math and English.
Re: Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by Ennoloa: 1:57am On Mar 01, 2023
waynetee:

Why are the clinching to the fantasy that those who voted in abuja are special when they are not... All the government officials sef voted in in their various states.
Abuja is even less important than the rest of the states, the constitution just try to merge it up to state standards.

Forget all these, its a fool's game!

Explain this two sentence for ease

Have 25% in 24 States out of 36 and FCT
Have 25% in 24 States out of 36 and THE FCT
Re: Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by waynetee(m): 2:04am On Mar 01, 2023
sonnie10:

My little neighbor wrote O’levels and got A1 in all 7 subjects but pass in math and English. He did not even bother to step foot into the university gate of his choice because the require for admission states 5 O’levels credits AND INCLUDING math and English.

Oh he should have used awaiting result mode to enter if he's despirate!

How does that relate to this?
Re: Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by omowolewa: 2:13am On Mar 01, 2023
Is FCT Electoral College or Visa bound region.

Do you mean Abuja residents are sooo special than others, this is an insult to other states

You make Abuja people look like Kings

Anyway, if People can believe Buhari was cloned, what else would they not believe.

1 Like

Re: Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by Sannisege: 2:16am On Mar 01, 2023
Ennoloa:

Explain this two sentence for ease

Have 25% in 24 States out of 36 and FCT
Have 25% in 24 States out of 36 and THE FCT
So if a candidate has majority number of votes and 25% in all the 36 state but fails to get 25% only in the FCT, so the candidate won't be declared winner? Una dey joke. Asiwaju is here.

1 Like

Re: Don't Be Biased!!! Can I Become President Without 25% In FCT? by Ennoloa: 2:18am On Mar 01, 2023
Sannisege:
So if a candidate has majority number of votes and 25% in all the 36 state but fails to get 25% only in the FCT, so the candidate won't be declared winner? Una dey joke. Asiwaju is here.

Little kid, calm your nerves and explain the statement

1.Have 25% in 24 States out of 36 and FCT
2. Have 25% in 24 States out of 36 and THE FCT

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gov Sim Fubara Press Release Concerning Rivers Crisis. / Senators Plan Life Immunity For President Obasanjo / Civil Servant Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.