Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,117 members, 7,828,977 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:54 PM

Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner (2034 Views)

Atiku Abubakar And Peter Obi On "The Candidates" Live At 8pm Tonight. / PDP Reacts To Buhari’s Performance During Live Interview On The Candidates / Buhari And Osinbajo On “The Candidates” (Live Updates) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner by LocalStandard1(m): 12:36am On Mar 01, 2023
I don't know if the post about Falana saying 25% in the FCT is not a requirement is true but if it is then someone needs to go back to school real fast and immediately.

The law says a candidate will be said to win "if they get 25 percent in two third of the States and the FCT.

"two third of 36 is equivalent to 24 states." But the FCT is mandatory cause it is not a State, it was never a State but a federal government territory. The and word is not an optional word but a mandatory additional "conjunction"(note the keyword). "Father and Mother, not Father or mother.

Nobody says "37 States" but "36 States and the FCT"!

If the law says something most happen in all 36 States and the FCT, it simply means the FCT is mandatory, not an option. Same as 24 states and the FCT. If I say "bring me 24 apples and the green one", you do not bring 30 apples and say the extra numbers substitute the green one. You don't! This is law, it's also simple English. And English and the law doesn't bend over night to suit one person, I think.

The real question is who goes to run-off now that all the candidates have fallen short of the lawful requirements, yet all three have still met two of three requirements?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner by PlayMaker14: 12:47am On Mar 01, 2023
Exceptional breakdown of the constitution as regards the requirements needed to be declared the president.

Urchins should learn.

5 Likes

Re: Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner by Godwin4444: 12:50am On Mar 01, 2023
LocalStandard1:
I don't know if the post about Falana saying 25% in the FCT is not a requirement is true but if it is then someone needs to go back to school real fast and immediately.

The law says a candidate will be said to win "if they get 25 percent in two third of the States and the FCT.

"two third of 36 is equivalent to 24 states." But the FCT is mandatory cause it is not a State, it was never a State but a federal government territory. The and word is not an optional word but a mandatory additional "conjunction"(note the keyword). "Father and Mother, not Father or mother.

If the law says something most happen in all 36 States and the FCT, it simply means the FCT is mandatory, not an option. Same as 24 states and the FCT. If I say "bring me 24 apples and the green one", you do not bring 30 apples and say the extra numbers substitute the green one. You don't! This is law, it's also simple English. And English and the law doesn't bend over night to suit one person, I think.

The real question is who goes to run-off now that all the candidates have fallen short of the lawful requirements, yet all three have still met two of three requirements?
read d last 3 lines

Abuja is a state just like your abia

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner by LocalStandard1(m): 12:52am On Mar 01, 2023
PlayMaker14:
Exceptional breakdown of the constitution as regards the requirements needed to be declared the president.
Urchins should learn.

For a moment their shouts and plenty talks almost made forget basic English. These people are seriously doing the job they're paid to do online.

How do you manage to fool an entire nation that the and word is not what we know it to be? How do you even fool people that the FCT, a government controlled territory, doesn't need to be decisively won by the said government?

4 Likes

Re: Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner by PlayMaker14: 12:54am On Mar 01, 2023
LocalStandard1:

For a moment their shouts and plenty talks almost made forget basic English. These people are seriously doing the job they're paid to the online.

How do you manage to fool an entire nation that the and word is not what we know it to be? How do you even fool people that the FCT, a government controlled territory, doesn't need to be decisively won by the said government?
To even imagine that they're already making a mockery of Obi, calling him a failure for putting up a good fight....

Urchins are useless.

4 Likes

Re: Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner by LocalStandard1(m): 12:57am On Mar 01, 2023
PlayMaker14:
To even imagine that they're already making a mockery of Obi, calling him a failure for putting up a good fight....

Urchins are useless.
These people are highly daft and ignorant. One up there has turned tribal, assuming me from Abia or Igbo.

1 Like

Re: Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner by PointB: 12:57am On Mar 01, 2023
Godwin4444:
read d last 3 lines

Oya na, go and conduct governorship, and local government election in Abuja since it's just like Abia. What are you waiting for?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner by IVORY2009(m): 12:58am On Mar 01, 2023
LocalStandard1:

This is absolutely correct, it's like going into the examination hall, and you are given question papers to answer question one which is compulsory (FCT) and any other 36 questions which is the 36 states. grin

2 Likes

Re: Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner by yarimo(m): 12:58am On Mar 01, 2023
LocalStandard1:

Re: Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner by adewumiopeyemi(m): 12:58am On Mar 01, 2023
Man of the people

Congratulations sir

1 Like

Re: Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner by Godwin4444: 12:58am On Mar 01, 2023
PointB:

Oya na, go and conduct governorship, and local government election in Abuja since it's just like Abia. What are you waiting for?
no b me write this one ooo

Just read d last 3 lines n note “statues of a state”

1 Like

Re: Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner by PlayMaker14: 12:59am On Mar 01, 2023
LocalStandard1:

These people are highly daft and ignorant. One up there has turned tribal, assuming me from Abia or Igbo.
Where you expecting anything reasonable from him?

To them, once you call their bluff and try to show them how stupid they are, you automatically become a full fledge Igbo.

1 Like

Re: Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner by MuchAdo: 1:00am On Mar 01, 2023
Piggidioots are just desperately grasping unto straws.

Tinubu is president-elect. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner by PlayMaker14: 1:00am On Mar 01, 2023
adewumiopeyemi:
Man of the people

Congratulations sir
Since 2015, you have never been seen or heard saying anything reasonable....

Is it that your head is too heavy to say something brilliant or the shape of your head is the same way you reason?

2 Likes

Re: Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner by DoTheNeedful: 1:01am On Mar 01, 2023
LocalStandard1:

The court might determine this. There are a lot of arguments and counter arguments on this matter. However, if the election goes to a run-off, it's going to be between Atiku and Tinubu, based on the provisions of the constitution.

1 Like

Re: Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner by PointB: 1:02am On Mar 01, 2023
Godwin4444:
no b me write this one ooo

Just read d last 3 lines n note “statues of a state”

Stop quoting what you don't know or understand to buttress your point, cause you can be asked to defend it.

To win Presidential election, you have to obtain 25% in FCT. It's only after that, that you can treat FCT as a state.

2 Likes

Re: Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner by KanwuliaExtra: 1:03am On Mar 01, 2023
GOD OOOOOOOOH!!!

DIARISSSSS GODIOOOOOOH!!! cheesy
Re: Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner by RoeEvi(m): 1:04am On Mar 01, 2023
Godwin4444:
read d last 3 lines

Did you read to understand what you posted?

By virtue of the provisions of section 299 of the Constitution, it is so clear that Abuja, the Federal Capital of Nigeria, has the status of a State. (It is (as if) it is one of the States of the Federation). (Pp. 36-37, paras. E-A)

This simple means the FCT will be recognized (as if) it’s a state in Nigeria so that the Nigeria constitution will govern it.

But in the case of Electoral Act that has been quoted all evening up till now… it’s says 25% in 2/3 of the Nigeria states (and) 25% in the FCT because it doesn’t recognize the FCT (as if) it’s a state but rather as a capital territory.

I hope this is explanatory enough, I stand to be corrected as I’m open to thoughts so I get to know better.

1 Like

Re: Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner by PlayerMeji: 1:04am On Mar 01, 2023
So if there were 4 candidates that performed equally well and are winning states after states. then you will insist the all have to win 25% of the states in Nigeria to declare a winner?

LocalStandard1:

Re: Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner by PlayerMeji: 1:06am On Mar 01, 2023
Build bridges not war tanks like you are doing every time!
Re: Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner by PointB: 1:06am On Mar 01, 2023
PlayerMeji:
So if there were 4 candidates that performed equally well and are winning states after states. then you will insist the all have to win 25% of the states in Nigeria to declare a winner?

There will be a run-off at some point.

2 Likes

Re: Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner by Cantonese: 1:08am On Mar 01, 2023
RoeEvi:

By virtue of the provisions of section 299 of the Constitution, it is so clear that Abuja, the Federal Capital of Nigeria, has the status of a State. (It is (as if) it is one of the States of the Federation). (Pp. 36-37, paras. E-A)

This simple means the FCT will be recognized (as if) it’s a state in Nigeria so that the Nigeria constitution will govern it.

But in the case of Electoral Act that has been quoted all evening up till now… it’s says 25% in 2/3 of the Nigeria states (and) 25% in the FCT because it doesn’t recognize the FCT (as if) it’s a state but rather as a capital territory.

That’s the position. After winning the states, without 25% of the FCT, na fa fa fa fa fawol.

2 Likes

Re: Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner by LocalStandard1(m): 1:11am On Mar 01, 2023
RoeEvi:

I hope this is explanatory enough, I stand to be corrected as I’m open to thoughts so I get to know better.

You did well taking it off my mouth and giving him. I don't like talking with these people cause they're more insulting than they're logical.

1 Like

Re: Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner by PlayMaker14: 1:11am On Mar 01, 2023
PlayerMeji:
Build bridges not war tanks like you are doing every time!
Kindly forward this message to Manhood Yakubu.

2 Likes

Re: Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner by Donpuffy(m): 1:18am On Mar 01, 2023
Simple English that you people refuse to understand.

Get 25% of (36 states + FCT)

= 25% of 37 states

Because FCT is to be treated as a state.

We have 36 states in Nigeria. But if you want to include FCT, it means we have 37.

So, 25% of 37 states(including FCT taken as a state) is required.

You all know this but because you want to use it for your selfis.h interests.

JAGABAN IS THE PRESIDENT OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA.

Google will also help you to find the truth

Re: Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner by holocron: 2:48am On Mar 01, 2023
Yes
Re: Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner by FieldMarshall06(m): 3:12am On Mar 01, 2023
LocalStandard1:
I don't know if the post about Falana saying 25% in the FCT is not winkrequirement is true but if it is then someone needs to go back to school real fast and immediately.

Nobody says "37 States" but "36 States and the FCT"!

Re: Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner by onatisi(m): 3:14am On Mar 01, 2023
there will be plenty wahala with this election. when all those soothsayers were busy saying that there will be problems with this election, i never believed them, now i think they really did see into the future,if care is not taken we may have a constitutional crisis with this election

PlayMaker14:

Urchins should learn.

1 Like

Re: Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner by pquaver(m): 3:35am On Mar 01, 2023
RoeEvi:

Obidient una no dey tire..!!! Trying to make a legitimate win look illegitimate by trying to turn English upside down.. I think obidient are actually the lowest thinkers and probably the illiterates in Nigeria.. YOU ARE TRYING TO BE CLEVER BY HALF!! TRYING TO SEPARATE THE CONTEXT OF THE CONSTITUTION FROM THE SECTION OF THE ELECTORAL LAW. THE ELECTORAL LAW DRAWS ITS POWER FROM THE CONSTITUTION... so FCT to understand it in regards the elections you still have to go bact to where the electoral law draws its power which is constitution and there FcT has the status of state in Nigeria which gives rise to "36 state and the FcT" .. The guy showed the constitution which is the same context I spoke to u about earlier.. English is about context... Because the FcT has a special status, that is why when referring to states u say 36 states and FcT... This 1 of the first things taught in primary school.. State and capital.. After the 36 state u must call FcT Abuja.. U don't say 37 states..
The requirement interpretation simply means picking up your 25% in any of the 37 "states" of Nigeria (which is 36 states plus FcT).. This is why we still write Toelf and ielts, when graduates can't understand simple English in the context it is being used.
Re: Non of the Candidates Has Met The Requirements To Be Declared Winner by iLoveYouToo(m): 3:38am On Mar 01, 2023
Smh. I wonder why thread things can’t be written unambiguously.

If Obi was in Tinubu’s shoes I’m 100% sure Obidients would be arguing in favour of 25% of 37 rather than 25% of FCT. It’s simply logical

It’s no one’s fault, the writers of these laws should’ve done better.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Are Igbos Not Happy With Each Region's Autonomy / Simon Ekpa Accused Nigeria Air Force Of Missing Targets And Bombing Palm Trees / “please Help Us, The Light In Aba Is Now Too Much, Aba Residents Cry For Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.