Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,040 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:22 AM

Is It A Crime To Be A Single Woman In Africa ? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is It A Crime To Be A Single Woman In Africa ? (748 Views)

Dead Woman In Morturay Comes Back To Life In UNIBEN Anatomy Class (VIDEO) / A Female Corper's Post About A Crime Scene That Got People Talking / Madam Koi Koi: The MOST FEARED Woman In Boarding Schools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It A Crime To Be A Single Woman In Africa ? by Empbukason(f): 7:38am On Mar 04, 2023
So when you have graduated from college, started work, what do you do next? While most guys between 24 and 29 worry about career advancement, women of the same age worry about getting married. Your parents, neighbours, friends, everyone expects you to get married. For males, the pressure comes once they hit 30. People should marry for love, right? So, why the pressure? Is it parents? Is it our culture and traditions? Are we ready for marriage when society says we are? Could this rush to get married be the reason why many marriages do not last? And so the pressure grows. And then the more successful you become, the more society frowns. Society looks at you, and it does not matter how successful you may be – whether you have your own house, a car, or earn decently. Once you do not have a husband, then within the community, you have not made it in life. I have always been someone who believes that you do not have to get married for the sake of it and I do not put myself under pressure. Yes, I want to marry one day; and yes, I definitely want to have children, but I do not see getting married as an achievement.
So many times, we see women getting bullied on the internet about not getting married. The likes of popular blogger Linda Ikeji, Yemi Alade and so on and this trolls come from the men whom the society has given an upper hand, so you are almost trained to take up that role. If you are a woman, you must feel privileged to be educated but then after that, you must wed and ‘build’ a home. I think that this is quite the standard for some parts of the world, where there are strong, spiritual and cultural influences. In a typical African family, this scenario has played itself countless times when young women are on the pressure to get married. It’s always the auntie(s) who are tirelessly reminding you. “Good afternoon aunty”, you greet her with the sweetest smile you can muster, which is not very much. After 15 minutes of idle chit-chat, she brings ‘it’ up again. “So you know Chioma is getting married next month ehn…….won’t you join her soon?” “Ha ha ha….well…aunty you know I….” you volunteer, while simultaneously having thoughts that are more like ‘Father Lord please get me out of this place י, now. She continues, “Hmmmmm .but, you are beautiful. Ehn….look at you, you’re smart, you’re just beautiful. You mean to tell me there is no man.” She asks while giving you her famous side eye. “Aunty you know naa. It will happen in God’s time, you know I….” You try again while she swiftly interrupts you. “Ah ah, but what about that handsome young man I saw in that picture with you? Where is he now?” Sigh. You are not about to start telling her that you and that ‘handsome young man’ have been broken up for the past six months. In fact, you have been single for quite some time now. “Hmmm, all you these young girls. You need to be very prayerful oh….” she says while pulling down on her ear. “You need to be very prayerful. Who knows, maybe now many of them are on their way? They would want to propose, but you, you are making list in your mind, long list of what you want. My dear,…..
Source: https://www.cosmoworld.com.ng/is-it-a-crime-to-be-a-single-woman-in-africa/

2 Likes

Re: Is It A Crime To Be A Single Woman In Africa ? by God1000(m): 8:01am On Mar 04, 2023
No it's not a crime, just live a good life and be happy
Re: Is It A Crime To Be A Single Woman In Africa ? by Wealthyonos(m): 8:08am On Mar 04, 2023
Yes, it is a crime
Re: Is It A Crime To Be A Single Woman In Africa ? by HeartlessMan: 8:31am On Mar 04, 2023
I marry for destiny.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Crime To Be A Single Woman In Africa ? by fman(m): 8:38am On Mar 04, 2023
An unmarried lady is an irresponsible lady:
An evening news paper.
Re: Is It A Crime To Be A Single Woman In Africa ? by fman(m): 8:48am On Mar 04, 2023
Empbukason:
So when you have graduated from college, started work, what do you do next? While most guys between 24 and 29 worry about career advancement, women of the same age worry about getting married. Your parents, neighbours, friends, everyone expects you to get married. For males, the pressure comes once they hit 30. People should marry for love, right? So, why the pressure? Is it parents? Is it our culture and traditions? Are we ready for marriage when society says we are? Could this rush to get married be the reason why many marriages do not last? And so the pressure grows. And then the more successful you become, the more society frowns. Society looks at you, and it does not matter how successful you may be – whether you have your own house, a car, or earn decently. Once you do not have a husband, then within the community, you have not made it in life. I have always been someone who believes that you do not have to get married for the sake of it and I do not put myself under pressure. Yes, I want to marry one day; and yes, I definitely want to have children, but I do not see getting married as an achievement.
So many times, we see women getting bullied on the internet about not getting married. The likes of popular blogger Linda Ikeji, Yemi Alade and so on and this trolls come from the men whom the society has given an upper hand, so you are almost trained to take up that role. If you are a woman, you must feel privileged to be educated but then after that, you must wed and ‘build’ a home. I think that this is quite the standard for some parts of the world, where there are strong, spiritual and cultural influences. In a typical African family, this scenario has played itself countless times when young women are on the pressure to get married. It’s always the auntie(s) who are tirelessly reminding you. “Good afternoon aunty”, you greet her with the sweetest smile you can muster, which is not very much. After 15 minutes of idle chit-chat, she brings ‘it’ up again. “So you know Chioma is getting married next month ehn…….won’t you join her soon?” “Ha ha ha….well…aunty you know I….” you volunteer, while simultaneously having thoughts that are more like ‘Father Lord please get me out of this place י, now. She continues, “Hmmmmm .but, you are beautiful. Ehn….look at you, you’re smart, you’re just beautiful. You mean to tell me there is no man.” She asks while giving you her famous side eye. “Aunty you know naa. It will happen in God’s time, you know I….” You try again while she swiftly interrupts you. “Ah ah, but what about that handsome young man I saw in that picture with you? Where is he now?” Sigh. You are not about to start telling her that you and that ‘handsome young man’ have been broken up for the past six months. In fact, you have been single for quite some time now. “Hmmm, all you these young girls. You need to be very prayerful oh….” she says while pulling down on her ear. “You need to be very prayerful. Who knows, maybe now many of them are on their way? They would want to propose, but you, you are making list in your mind, long list of what you want. My dear,…..
Source: https://www.cosmoworld.com.ng/is-it-a-crime-to-be-a-single-woman-in-africa/
if your mum was single, would you have been born?
Learn to be impartial in your reasoning!!
Re: Is It A Crime To Be A Single Woman In Africa ? by Waterlilly: 9:34am On Mar 04, 2023
fman:
An unmarried lady is an irresponsible lady:
An evening news paper.
pray make you not find yourself in a very difficult situation
Re: Is It A Crime To Be A Single Woman In Africa ? by LordIsaac(m): 11:41am On Mar 04, 2023
Crime? No. Social deviance? Yes. grin
Re: Is It A Crime To Be A Single Woman In Africa ? by Fahvvy: 3:09pm On Mar 04, 2023
Don't marry na undecided...
Who is forcing you to marry? undecided...
Re: Is It A Crime To Be A Single Woman In Africa ? by ITbomb(m): 6:34am On Mar 05, 2023
A very big crime.

That pvzzy is not yours, you are just a caretaker. Go and find the owner

(1) (Reply)

Obollo Afor Ward: LP Governorship Candidate Chijioke Edeoga May Win Enugu / How My UTME Result Was Forged, Mmesoma Makes Fresh Revelation / Urgent Help Needed. Not Finance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.