Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,497 members, 7,816,181 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:09 AM

What's Your Salary Expectations? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What's Your Salary Expectations? (14856 Views)

Have They Increased Your Salary? / Now That Things Are Expensive, How Do You Manage Your Salary / How Not To Spend Your Salary! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Your Salary Expectations? by SMJay: 11:18pm On Mar 04, 2023
Whatโ€™s your salary expectations?

This is one of the most critical question for many job seekers during an interview. Many candidates are dreadful of this question while also acknowledging that it is a question that will determine if the candidate will be employed or not.
I reached out to a friend for a job role and the salary he called out was very outrageous. I immediately told him that nobody earns up to 60% of his salary expectations in the industry (based on salary survey). He rejected the job but someone better took the job at a lower salary. Donโ€™t get me wrong, asking for what you think you worth is okay, but donโ€™t price yourself out of your job opportunities. Many people have lost huge job opportunities because of pride in asking beyond their worth.
These are my advice
1. Do salary survey for your role before asking for certain pay.
2. Donโ€™t listen to those motivational speakers who tell you to ask for anything and you will get it. They are deceptive.
3. Have a lowest minimum for your job role before responding as per pay
4. Ask for other benefit to augment salary. Sometimes, you can make more money beyond your salary and other non-go any benefits.
5. Prepare for the justification of the amount you are asking for.

If you need guidance on what to ask for during salary negotiations, chat me up!
Copied!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's Your Salary Expectations? by Rubyjade: 11:43pm On Mar 04, 2023
what happens to employers stating the salary budget ranges for the roles they want to fill before both prospective candidates and hiring managers invest their time and resources in the recruitment process.

Besides, there are many reasons prospective candidates could be asking for higher salary in lieu of what prospective employers want to offer. This could be education, training, current salary, experience, skill, exposure, cost of living, background etc. And this could equally influence one in accepting lower salary.

But I sometime feel that hiring managers ask for one's salary expectation with a motive to pay lower than budget.

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What's Your Salary Expectations? by rottable(m): 7:24am On Mar 05, 2023
This question can get you the job or not

4 Likes

Re: What's Your Salary Expectations? by Pojomojo: 7:40am On Mar 05, 2023
rottable:
This question can get you the job or not
True.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Your Salary Expectations? by Nobody: 8:47am On Mar 05, 2023
Hire based on value rather than salary. When you hire based on how low the employee is willing to take, you get hungry and desperate cheapskates that will never give you their best. Most will only use the money they get from your job to print more CVs and pay transport fare to interviews.

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What's Your Salary Expectations? by Pojomojo: 8:50am On Mar 05, 2023
Shoodboi:
Hire based on value rather than salary. When you hire based on how low the employee is willing to pay, you get cheapskates that will never give you their best. Most will only use the money they get from your job to print more CVs and pay transport fare to interviews.
This is the reality on ground.

15 Likes

Re: What's Your Salary Expectations? by Pojomojo: 8:50am On Mar 05, 2023
I know it's easier said than done when the chips are down, but I've come to realize there is ABSOLUTELY NO POINT in taking a step down or backwards.

Some of the most successful people I know right now are still waiting for their best career yet!

On a side note: I am appalled by some of the salary ranges I am seeing posted. If you're an employer taking advantage of candidates let me 100% guarantee you will be the big time loser very soon. Why? Because your workforce is disgruntled and feels their arm has been twisted into accepting a low ball salary in the highest inflation we have seen in several decades.

Treat your team well and you will WIN.

17 Likes

Re: What's Your Salary Expectations? by Rubyjade: 7:53am On Mar 10, 2023
cool
Shoodboi:
Hire based on value rather than salary. When you hire based on how low the employee is willing to take, you get hungry and desperate cheapskates that will never give you their best. Most will only use the money they get from your job to print more CVs and pay transport fare to interviews.

3 Likes

Re: What's Your Salary Expectations? by SMJay: 12:45pm On Mar 11, 2023
wink
Shoodboi:

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Salary Expectations? by Karlifate: 1:13pm On Mar 12, 2023
Shoodboi:

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ

No be lie.

5 Likes

Re: What's Your Salary Expectations? by AntiChristian: 1:10pm On Mar 13, 2023
0.25M/month in Kuwaiti dollars!

Aamin.

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Salary Expectations? by ThiefnubuBandit: 1:10pm On Mar 13, 2023
When you go to developed and sane societies, salary for job roles are included in job advert so that job seekers can decide whether to apply or not. In Nigeria, they will start asking stupid questions like 'What do you want us to pay you?' How stupid and idiotic can a question be? You want to hire someone and you're asking him/her what they think they should receive?

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's Your Salary Expectations? by Klass99(f): 1:11pm On Mar 13, 2023
Re: What's Your Salary Expectations? by Jsucre(m): 1:12pm On Mar 13, 2023
Shoodboi:
lobatan

3 Likes

Re: What's Your Salary Expectations? by Jokerman(m): 1:12pm On Mar 13, 2023
As a master's degree holder with over 10 years experience

200k/300K per month...

9 Likes

Re: What's Your Salary Expectations? by incogni2o: 1:13pm On Mar 13, 2023
I missed a remote opportunity cos of this , not really overprice sha.

It's a fine line

5 Likes

Re: What's Your Salary Expectations? by Jsucre(m): 1:13pm On Mar 13, 2023
Shoodboi:
that's why I stoped 75% of my staffs.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Salary Expectations? by Mindlog: 1:13pm On Mar 13, 2023
Shoodboi:

Most of those who hunt for cheap labour don't mind, they are not bothered by the high turn over of staff.

4 Likes

Re: What's Your Salary Expectations? by Mindlog: 1:14pm On Mar 13, 2023
incogni2o:
I missed a remote opportunity cos I overpriced

You ought to have researched what is current, regarding pay.
Re: What's Your Salary Expectations? by man4woman: 1:14pm On Mar 13, 2023
You can get more clue about 27 Interview Questions and Answers. Check my DM or the lin.k below
Re: What's Your Salary Expectations? by blackpanda: 1:15pm On Mar 13, 2023
2m per minute grin

3 Likes

Re: What's Your Salary Expectations? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 1:15pm On Mar 13, 2023
720K per Month.......

Entrepreneurship is Bae mehn cool

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What's Your Salary Expectations? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 1:16pm On Mar 13, 2023
gladdensir:
Stupid and jobless questions full nairaland
Simply answer or keep silent......
Simple sturvs.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this question please.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What's Your Salary Expectations? by chatinent: 1:16pm On Mar 13, 2023
Jokerman:

200k/300K per month...

Man, I pray you see thrice that sum. ๐Ÿ™ You deserve more.

16 Likes

Re: What's Your Salary Expectations? by ACRI: 1:16pm On Mar 13, 2023
Right answer: I believe as a reputable organization there is a pay-range on the budget for this role and I am willing to know your offer

OR

Research the industry range pay scale for the role,add little to it and tell them you re flexible

3 Likes

Re: What's Your Salary Expectations? by Femich18(m): 1:16pm On Mar 13, 2023
Salary should be base on experience and what you can offer but here in lagos unemployment has really dealt a major blow to applicants.
People reduce their salary expectation so as to get the Job. Just know your worth, if you don't get the job then it's not for you. Yours will surely come

1 Like

Re: What's Your Salary Expectations? by MatrixReloaded: 1:17pm On Mar 13, 2023
Right now I pay myself salary
P.s I'm not an Uber driver but I have considered getting a small car to teach my gf how to drive Uber within Abuja metropolis.
She can start with Toyota tiny light to see how rugged she drives in 3months of training.

Jokerman:

200k/300K per month...

7 Likes

Re: What's Your Salary Expectations? by N2B2: 1:17pm On Mar 13, 2023
SMJay:
He rejected the job but someone better took the job at a lower salary.

How do you (or whoever wrote this) know the friend wasn't the better candidate? Salary is determined by budget and the perceived value of the prospective employee.

Your friend's expected salary would only anger you if you believed he wasn't a good fit for the role. The funny thing is โ€” if you met someone you think is overqualified for the position, like an expatriate, you wouldn't flinch at higher-than-average salary requests.

Morale of the story: if you're certain you can over-deliver, and have performance evidence from previous roles to back it up, ask for whatever you think you're worth and watch budgets expand for you.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Your Salary Expectations? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 1:17pm On Mar 13, 2023
MatrixReloaded:
Right now I pay myself salary
Very Good Choice ๐Ÿ‘

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What's Your Salary Expectations? by gladdensir(m): 1:18pm On Mar 13, 2023
post=121705091:

Simply answer or keep silent......
Simple sturvs.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this question please.

There is everything wrong with it Mr

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dangote Cement Plc Job Vacancies (12 Positions) / We Canโ€™t Verify Certificates Of 80,724 Shortlisted Applicants โ€“ Police IG / Top 8 Successful Tips To Answer Teachers Interview Questions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.