Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,112 members, 7,814,900 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:40 PM

Hip Hop Artistes As Role Models : Are We Irresponsible? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Hip Hop Artistes As Role Models : Are We Irresponsible? (727 Views)

List Of The Past, Outgoing & Present Hip Hop Artistes In Nigeria (overrated) / Nomoreloss Is Angry With Nigerian Hip Hop Artistes Who Sing Dirty Songs / Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hip Hop Artistes As Role Models : Are We Irresponsible? by Rapsody(m): 8:05am On Aug 31, 2007
I had an experience last week that really had me thinking.Just walking down my street,i came across a group of kids ages btw 5-8yrs and they were chanting the verses of some popular songs.I couldnt help but overhear them using the 'f' word,saying 'bitches' and describing sex scenes in shocking details.It made me wonder how long they would remain innocent b4 they started acting out the lyrics they were reciting.One little girl was actually trying out some sexy dance she must have watched on T.V!

People! Lets be candid to ourselves.Do we really feel good when we see our young siblings growing up under such negative influences.Some might say the artistes never intended 2 corrupt the minds of children but we 4get that they are very impressionable and copy what they see.

I dnt want my kids or siblings growing up to love violence,lewdity and disrespect for women.But,what example am i setting,when i sing about those very things?

A kid walked up to me recently and said he wants to be like me.I told him to be who God wants him to be.But i could see,he wasnt buying it.As far as he was concerned,i was more real to him than any1 else!. Now,that made me feel responsible for him.God forbid,i use my music to influence him negatively! What about u?
Re: Hip Hop Artistes As Role Models : Are We Irresponsible? by bricklayer(m): 11:19am On Sep 05, 2007
undecidedIts not just about hip hop artistes, that limits responsibility to a small group. Anyone who has ever had a lil cousin or nephew or kid brother knows that in time they tend to emulate your every action: the way you talk, dress etc its a truism that when people are left alone they copy themselves.
But I agree that artistes have a greater scope of influence, because music and television dictate alot of popular culture and behavior.

winkThe truth is that, all these kids really want is to feel understood and accepted, to pass a message or to act responsible, you first need to connect with them, as an artist. thats why telling them about being who God wants him to be, noble as it is, and correct as it is, did not solve his problem. he sees an mc that gets on stage and has people screaming encores, he doesnt care that you found it difficult to pray in the morning or that you have temptations thrown your way, i'm assuming u r a gospel artist.

once you get that straight, its easier to reach out, since its about saving the lost, not about preaching to the choir. so you learn how to act as a pointer, rather than as a sign board.
controversial reply, but thats what starting a thread is about!
cool
Re: Hip Hop Artistes As Role Models : Are We Irresponsible? by ritchboi: 11:50am On Sep 05, 2007
@poster
y did u single out hih-hop?if its the lyrical content nowadays curse words r used in all genres of music,rock,pop,rnb etc,i.e avril lavigne uses curse words,lilly allen,etc.britney spears has a new single,d first thing she said in the song is 'its britney bitch!'!
if its the 'sexy dances' then ur even further off the mark,as dat is associated with ALL forms of music,i agree dat there is a problem,but singling out hip hop is not rite.

GET FAMILIAR!!!!
Re: Hip Hop Artistes As Role Models : Are We Irresponsible? by Rapsody(m): 1:54pm On Sep 05, 2007
i agree its not just hip hop but that is the most appealing to nigerian youths today.thats why i chose it. walk down any street in lagos or any part of naija and you will see my point.
Re: Hip Hop Artistes As Role Models : Are We Irresponsible? by Rapsody(m): 1:56pm On Sep 05, 2007
now that we agree we have a problem, what do we do?
Re: Hip Hop Artistes As Role Models : Are We Irresponsible? by HYBRIDX(m): 6:45pm On Sep 05, 2007
i guess well all have to just play our own part, the sytems so corrupt

(1) (Reply)

Songs That Cools Down Your Mood / Beyonce Jayz / Whats Your Favorite Music Of All Times?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.