Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:33 AM

Salt And Water in Preventing Pregnancy; Myth or Fact? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Salt And Water in Preventing Pregnancy; Myth or Fact? (878 Views)

Coconut Seller Caught Using Water In Gutter To Wash His Coconut . / AZD1222 vaccine met primary efficacy endpoint in preventing COVID-19 / Nigerian Man Washes His Hands, Drinks The Water In Viral Video (Graphic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Salt And Water in Preventing Pregnancy; Myth or Fact? by Dpharmacist: 10:44pm On Mar 10, 2023
One of the most ridiculous unproven ways of preventing pregnancy is douching in salt and water or drinking it. This is as a result of years of searching for cheaper and better means of preventing pregnancy.

Another reason why it is gaining popularity is it's use raise no eyebrow unlike going to a shop to get contraceptive pills or condom. There are so many others like alabukun and ampiclox but this prove to be very funny as well as dangerous.

Myth 1 : Taking Salt And Water To Prevent Pregnancy

To understand how this method is so dumb, lets us go back to our elementary secondary school biology or what is known in higher institution as anatomy.

Fluid in the mouth goes through the oesophagus and into the stomach. It gets to the intestines where it is absorbed and filtered into the blood stream.
It then goes to the liver it goes where a lot of breakdown is done. Final destination is in the kidney after which the waste or excess is deposited in the kidney. The useful nutrients are send to the storage organs or organs needing them. From the kidney, it goes to the urethra .
The urethra is close to the female reproductive organs e.g vagina but do not share any common link. They are separate.

There is no way any of the waste product gets to the vagina. If the urinary product gets there, it will expose the vagina to infection. Besides, this process takes hours before it can get to the urethra.

That is enough time for the sperm to get through the cervix to the womb. So drinking water mixed with salt will arrive late even if it will be effective in killing the sperm.

It will only be feasible if it is said that salt and water prevent implantation or killing the embryo. Still yet it remains unproven.

Myth 2: Washing Vagina With Salt Water

Salt kills microbes. It absorb moisture from microbes.

Thinking of the powerful antimicrobial properties of salt can seem a good theory to back up the claims that salt water can kill sperm in the vagina.
Lets understand something.

Semen is a thick fluid. It dries up when exposed to air. It gets light when it goes into the vagina within some few minutes. This is due to the environment of the vagina. The light Semen encourage the sperm to move into the cervix in search of a fertile ovum at the speed of about 40 km/h.

It becomes almost impossible to wash it out after some few minutes. Even if it was done immediately, it will not work.
Let's see the reason.
Semen contains salt. That shows that sperm survive more in salt. To explain, semen are even stored in salty water in hospitals. So the salt will not even harm the sperm.

Side Effect Of Salt Water

Drinking salt water is dangerous to health. It is one of the cause of hypertension. It also cause dehydration. This is because the body will be needing enough water to remove the excess salt from the body to prevent complication.

This is the cause of some avoidable deaths when there was a hoax message to bath and drink salt water to prevent Ebola.
Washing the vagina with salt water can also lead to dehydration of that vagina. This can causing itching and dryness. This leads to the loss's of normal vagina flora and Increase the chances of infection.

Beware of common myths spreading around.
Mods help take it to a larger audience so we can dispel this myth

#DrugXpert

Seun myndd44 Nlfpmod dominique

Re: Salt And Water in Preventing Pregnancy; Myth or Fact? by maleekberry: 11:45pm On Mar 10, 2023
With all due respect sir, you are very wrong on this
matter.

Me and my babe used to lash raw and after the whole show, she will add salt to water and drink it, and also use salt water to wash her kitten.

This has being going on For the past 5 years. If you say the method isn't working then How come she hasn't gotten pregnant?

Like I said sometimes last year in one of your post when you claimed that amplicox doesn't prevent stds and I challenged you that it's not everything that doctors can prove, and it's not all the functions of these drugs that doctors know.

Let me give you an example sir.
The manufacturers of coca cola made the drink for human consumption, but coke still works for other purposes such as cleaning ceramic ( tiles, toilet etc) same thing applies for lacasera ( mechanics use it to wash bolts and nuts)

Another example is hydraulic fluid that scientists made for moving the various components of your vehicle's braking system. Am sure you are aware that people use it to cure ezcema and it works.

3 Likes

Re: Salt And Water in Preventing Pregnancy; Myth or Fact? by VEXT: 1:49pm On Mar 11, 2023
maleekberry:
matter.

Me and my babe used to lash raw and after the whole show, she will add salt to water and drink it, and also use salt water to wash her kitten.

This has being going on For the past 5 years. If you say the method isn't working then How come she hasn't gotten pregnant?

Like I said sometimes last year in one of your post when you claimed that amplicox doesn't prevent stds and I challenged you that it's not everything that doctors can prove, and it's not all the functions of these drugs that doctors know.

The manufacturers of coca cola made the drink for human consumption, but coke still works for other purposes such as cleaning ceramic ( tiles, toilet etc) same thing applies for lacasera ( mechanics use it to wash bolts and nuts)

Another example is hydraulic fluid that scientists made for moving the various components of your vehicle's braking system. Am sure you are aware that people use it to cure ezcema and it works.

You r right
Re: Salt And Water in Preventing Pregnancy; Myth or Fact? by Dpharmacist: 12:24pm On Mar 29, 2023
maleekberry:
matter.

You didn't read my post well where I said
" It will only be feasible if it is said that salt and water prevent implantation or killing the embryo. Still yet it remains unproven."

Unproven is not same with disproven.

There is possibility that there is a mechanism by which it works but it remains unproven.
So you use a single case scenario to prove that what I said is wrong. Do you know if there are other factors that contribute to her not taking in.

We can't rely on only your story as an evidence.

If you are to choose between a case of 5 evidence or 200 evidence won't you support the higher one.

Next time cross check who you are arguing with. When did you discussed with me that ampiclox can be used to treat STD and I told you no. Ampiclox is an antibiotics so it should have an effect to do that. Moreover, ampiclox is now no longer a drug of choice to treat STD because there are:
1. Better drugs
2. Development of bacterial resistance to ampiclox

About your last point , do you also know that some use paracetamol in some raw food preparation.

You are arguing with me and claiming what I didn't say.
Re: Salt And Water in Preventing Pregnancy; Myth or Fact? by Dpharmacist: 10:32am On May 31, 2023
Are there other people who have evidence that salt and water prevent pregnancy?

(1) (Reply)

Scary Picture! / Natural Immunity / How Can Mouth Odour Be Stoped

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.