Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,744 members, 7,820,562 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:12 PM

Bashọrun Gaa - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Bashọrun Gaa (245 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Bashọrun Gaa by generalpelu(m): 10:13am On Mar 13, 2023
I watched Bashorun Gaa around 2010. It's one of the best epic Yoruba Nollywood has been able to produce.

"Ọyọ kọ, Ọyọ kọ Majẹogbe l'ọba..." Ọyọ rejects Majẹogbe as king, Bashọrun Gaa and the chiefs chanted as they took King Majẹogbe to where he would be executed.

After he was killed, the next day, Gaa assembled the people and told them the reason why Majẹogbe was dethroned and executed. The king had killed his father-in-law because his queen joked about his small body.

After that, Ọyọ needed another king. No one wanted to be king because Gaa had executed many kings who didn't please him. Gaa was the true power.

After a while, they settled for Abiọdun Adegolu to be king. When it was initially told to him, he ran away. He was later caught and enthroned.

Abiọdun became king but he feared he was next to be killed at the slightest mistake. One of his aides advised him to always go to pay homage to Gaa every day, that way he would last as king. He heeded.

Every time, he would go to Gaa's palace along with his chiefs to pay homage to Gaa. Gaa became partly incapacitated. He warned his boys against their vices. Also, he would give gifts to King Abiọdun. Soon, Gaa was getting bankrupt... Abiọdun even promised to give Agbọin, his daughter to Gaa as his wife.

Regardless of how Abiọdun tried to please Gaa, Gaa's boys kept up their vices and were immune.

When Gaa finally got bankrupt, he resorted to a money ritual. His herbalist said they needed agbọrin (deer) for the ritual. Unfortunately, Agbọin the king's daughter came around (because she always hawked kola nut), Gaa was playing with her, calling her my wife, and she responded, "Agbọin is my name." We've seen the ritual animal, Gaa called his herbalist. His herbalist hesitated but used her.

Gaa's palace got burnt in the process of the ritual. The king and the kingdom of Ọyọ all brought gifts for repairing Gaa's palace. Thus, his financial fortune was resuscitated. But the king's daughter was gone.

The king, in agony, went to meet the Aarẹ Ona Kankanfo (the army general of Yoruba land) to come to his rescue. The Aarẹ organized the army and moved against the house of Gaa...

In line with revenge, Agbọin's finance moved against Gaa, he was able to hit Gaa with a charmed belt (bantẹ) before a guard overpowered and killed him. Gaa didn't die but he became lame.

By the time the Aarẹ got to Gaa's place, his army killed all of Gaa's household and arrested Gaa alive...

Gaa was taken to the market square, Aarẹ advised that Gaa shouldn't be killed at once but anyone and everyone could come to get a piece of his body till he dies. The act was to serve as a deterrent to anyone who thinks they're invincible and utterly wicked.

The End.

This is what you enjoy when I write for you. Get in touch with me for your content writing. My contact is in the signature.

(1) (Reply)

The Rise And Fall Of A Corrupt Leader. / Federal Gov’t Denies Bailing Peter Obi Out Of Detention In UK / To The Love of Prose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.