Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,971 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:25 AM

Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande (5491 Views)

Burial Photos Of Lateef Jakande (First Civilian Governor Of Lagos Buried) / Lateef Jakande Is Dead (First Civilian Governor Of Lagos Dies) / Jakande At 90: 9 Achievements Of Alhaji Lateef Jakande As Lagos Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande by Petrallen: 6:57pm On Mar 14, 2023
FELLOW Citizens of Lagos State,

On Saturday, 28th, July 1979, you elected me, by 559,070 votes to 126,805, the first Executive Governor of Lagos State. Today, as a result of that election, the Chief Judge of this State, in accordance with the provisions of the Constitution of Nigeria, has invested me with the office. This is an inestimable honour of which I am very conscious. It is a call to service that I take very seriously in all humility. And I want to assure you that I shall spare no effort to justify the confidence which you, the good people of Lagos State, have demonstrably reposed in me.

God moves in a mysterious way, says William Cowper, His wonders to perform. His purposes will ripen fast, unfolding every hour.

The creation of Lagos State, like all great events, is not the achievement of one single person. The territory now known as Lagos State is the former Colony Province created by the British Administration for their own administrative convenience. Following the cession of his sovereignty to the British Crown by King Dosunmu in 1861, Eko was administered independently by a Governor of the Settlement of Lagos. Under the Commission of 19th February-1866, the Settlement of Lagos was governed by an Administrator and a Legislative Council responsible to the Governor of the West African Settlements residing in Sierra Leone. This continued until 1874. By Letters Patent dated 24th July, 1874 the territory was administered by a Lieutenant Governor subject to the Governor of the Gold Coast Colony.

Nine years later, by Letters Patent of 22nd January 1883, Lagos was administered by a Deputy Governor responsible to the Governor of the Gold coast Colony.

In 1886, Lagos was again set up as a separate colony in response to a petition by the people of Lagos who resented being governed from the Gold Coast. It was administered by a Governor of the Colony of Lagos under Letters Patent dated 13th January, 1886. This was the first time that the territory now known as Lagos State came under one administration. The administration continued under various constitution until 1954, when Lagos was separated from the rest of the Colony and constituted Federal Territory, that is to say a No-Man’s Land.

Thus, it is evident that, for 89 years from 1862 to 1951, Lagos (with or without the rest of the Colony) enjoyed a separate and distinct existence as a unit of administration with its own Governor, Deputy Governor, Lieutenant-governor, Administrator or Commissioner as the case may be. For 68 years from 1886 to 1954, the Colony of Lagos (i.e. the present Lagos State) was administered together as a unit, an inseperable whole. From 1914 to 1923 the Colony of Lagos had its own Legislative Council while the rest of Nigeria had another Council...

There will be no discrimination against anyone on the ground of political affiliation, religious belief, ethnic or state origin, sex or social status. But we can do all of these things only if all sections of the community cooperate fully with the Government they have elected...

You can read the full text of his inaugural speech in 1979 here: https://www.tvcnews.tv/2021/02/flashback-jakandes-inaugural-address-as-lagos-state-governor-in-1979/

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande by Buckeyemedia1: 7:03pm On Mar 14, 2023
Petrallen:

On Saturday, 28th, July 1979, you elected me, by 559,070 votes to 126,805, the first Executive Governor of Lagos State. Today, as a result of that election, the Chief Judge of this State, in accordance with the provisions of the Constitution of Nigeria, has invested me with the office. This is an inestimable honour of which I am very conscious. It is a call to service that I take very seriously in all humility. And I want to assure you that I shall spare no effort to justify the confidence which you, the good people of Lagos State, have demonstrably reposed in me.

God moves in a mysterious way, says William Cowper, His wonders to perform. His purposes will ripen fast, unfolding every hour.

The creation of Lagos State, like all great events, is not the achievement of one single person. The territory now known as Lagos State is the former Colony Province created by the British Administration for their own administrative convenience. Following the cession of his sovereignty to the British Crown by King Dosunmu in 1861, Eko was administered independently by a Governor of the Settlement of Lagos. Under the Commission of 19th February-1866, the Settlement of Lagos was governed by an Administrator and a Legislative Council responsible to the Governor of the West African Settlements residing in Sierra Leone. This continued until 1874. By Letters Patent dated 24th July, 1874 the territory was administered by a Lieutenant Governor subject to the Governor of the Gold Coast Colony.

Nine years later, by Letters Patent of 22nd January 1883, Lagos was administered by a Deputy Governor responsible to the Governor of the Gold coast Colony.

In 1886, Lagos was again set up as a separate colony in response to a petition by the people of Lagos who resented being governed from the Gold Coast. It was administered by a Governor of the Colony of Lagos under Letters Patent dated 13th January, 1886. This was the first time that the territory now known as Lagos State came under one administration. The administration continued under various constitution until 1954, when Lagos was separated from the rest of the Colony and constituted Federal Territory, that is to say a No-Man’s Land.

Thus, it is evident that, for 89 years from 1862 to 1951, Lagos (with or without the rest of the Colony) enjoyed a separate and distinct existence as a unit of administration with its own Governor, Deputy Governor, Lieutenant-governor, Administrator or Commissioner as the case may be. For 68 years from 1886 to 1954, the Colony of Lagos (i.e. the present Lagos State) was administered together as a unit, an inseperable whole. From 1914 to 1923 the Colony of Lagos had its own Legislative Council while the rest of Nigeria had another Council...

There will be no discrimination against anyone on the ground of political affiliation, religious belief, ethnic or state origin, sex or social status. But we can do all of these things only if all sections of the community cooperate fully with the Government they have elected...

You can read the full text of his inaugural speech in 1979 here: https://www.tvcnews.tv/2021/02/flashback-jakandes-inaugural-address-as-lagos-state-governor-in-1979/
Interesting.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande by vicdom(m): 7:03pm On Mar 14, 2023
wink
Urchins will desert this thread now cheesy

To Urchins, Jakande is an IPOB terrorist grin wink cheesy

41 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande by jmoore(m): 7:04pm On Mar 14, 2023
Tinubu urchins can't read.. They will still attack Emeka and Obinna.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande by dynicks(m): 7:07pm On Mar 14, 2023
Urchins on rampage right now heading to attack the messenger rather than the message!!..

36 Likes

Re: Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande by jmoore(m): 7:13pm On Mar 14, 2023
StreetFight:

If not that you are mentally unstable, then you will stay in your village. However, I cannot say whether your mental illness is generationally inherited or self inflicted. One thing is sure, only a very mad man will jump into Mallam Audu Aboki's trailer carrying Cows from Maiduguri through Igbo land to Lagos to come and be selling Gala and La Casera inside Lagos holdups and sleeping under Lagos bridges

One of the illiterates with brain cells made from Agbado.

Learn to read first. Until then, go and play with your fellow touts.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande by puremaker7(m): 7:13pm On Mar 14, 2023
Petrallen:

okay we have heard, next

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande by Princessstee: 7:15pm On Mar 14, 2023
Lol, why are you telling us, leave that keyboard and do anyhow nah if the fortunate ones among your kinsmen will not land in owerri this night grin

They claim they were kings and what their kings does is leave his domain and go to slaves region and work their ass off to develop it for them, right? What a group of lousy foolsgrin

Dey play, Your tribe will be taught the bitter lesson of this life grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande by Isobug: 7:15pm On Mar 14, 2023
They will come to call this beautifully resting soul an IPOD or Chinedu or even Obidient

Meanwhile, what I know is that Lagos belongs to Lagosians.
The narrative of no man's land is just because of its metropolitan nature

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande by T9ksy(m): 7:19pm On Mar 14, 2023
Abandoned properties, stage II loading..........

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande by ladiguy(m): 7:19pm On Mar 14, 2023
Petrallen:

You won’t desist from your stupidity till you incite violence. You go con Dey cry say den no love u na. Go read about Rwanda genocide and your brain go set. What I noticed is that most una be kids in their twenties and even the elderly ones among una don’t know nada about history. No worry you go learn.....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande by Mindlog: 7:21pm On Mar 14, 2023
Hmmm..🤔
Re: Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande by M4A1carbine: 7:21pm On Mar 14, 2023
They are far better than idiots like MC Oluomo, who uses your destiny as a fuu to send his children abroad and you will still be shouting up and Dan like a dog in heat.

The Boyz sell gala.. what do you sell? Who are you sef..? An Agbado Afonja pig from Afonjanestern without Level, collecting Owo mi da and shouting MANDATE.

Ko ni dafu awon gbogbo ile baba ati mama e!! Omo ale onikure ode oshi...spits

StreetFight:

If not that you are mentally unstable, then you will stay in your village. However, I cannot say whether your mental illness is generationally inherited or self inflicted. One thing is sure, only a very mad man will jump into Mallam Audu Aboki's trailer carrying Cows from Maiduguri through Igbo land to Lagos to come and be selling Gala and La Casera inside Lagos holdups and sleeping under Lagos bridges

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande by Mindlog: 7:22pm On Mar 14, 2023
T9ksy:

You wish....go and hustle for yours and your children.😆😆😆

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande by Jogs1900: 7:23pm On Mar 14, 2023
puremaker7:
okay we have heard, next
They will be digging whatever will suit their agenda...Most of our youths don't know the difference between Lagos and Lagos state.
Don't be surprise when you hear people that live in places like Ikeja, Magodo Surulere etc telling you they are going to Lagos.Its because Lagos is different from Lagos state.
I know very soon , these elements will say Mowe too is Lagos and it's no mans land.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande by M4A1carbine: 7:23pm On Mar 14, 2023
They will abandon this thread..or twist it and say Jakande is IPOB . They will still say Jakande's mother is from ABIA, so he is IGBO..IPOB..ESN... grin

Such a bunch of useless fuus from Afonjanestern..spits

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande by jmoore(m): 7:24pm On Mar 14, 2023
T9ksy:

Touts think they will claim properties of others. Everyone should hustle and get his/her own property.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande by FisifunKododada: 7:24pm On Mar 14, 2023
It doesn't matter what Jakande says. Even Azikwe the fake god of the Ibos begged the British to assign Lagos as no man's land. Lagos belongs to Yoruba people. Any tribe or tribes that are not comfortable with that reality should come and collect it. What are you waiting for?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande by waterpouroverfl: 7:25pm On Mar 14, 2023
One thing you know about hustler and business men

The phrase being calling a place a

A no man's land Is being use to tell those who haven't being to that place is that nobody gives a fvck about you. But there is opportunities their for you

All you have to do is respect the people around and concentrate on the money..

And don't think twice, hustle till you get out

The last time i check king west the son of MC oluomo has no reasonable office or job but he knows how to insult people he can't feed for three days...

Sanwo Olu is a loyal boy to the agberoes.. he can't Serve two and love both ...

Meanwhile he can't Serve the people and also serve the agberoes

Have you ask yourself what will happen if Sanwo Olu should complete his next tenure

You will all be rule by MC oluomo in proxy ..

All they need do is bring a person as a front, then you can kiss your lips of freedom of speech goodbye

Meanwhile..

Am not from Lagos but as the case may be if I am a resident I have a say

Ekiti man leave Lagos for lagosians

Ondo man leave Lagos for lagosians

Ogun man leave Lagos for lagosians

Oyo man leave Lagos for lagosians

Kwara man leave Lagos for lagosians

Let the true sons of the soil rule their land

Stop pokenosing

Let indigineous rule their land

Lp top to bottom

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande by FisifunKododada: 7:26pm On Mar 14, 2023
M4A1carbine:
They will abandon this thread..or twist it and say Jakande is IPOB . They will still say Jakande's mother is from ABIA, so he is IGBO..IPOB..ESN... grin

Such a bunch of useless fuus from Afonjanestern..spits

Abandon which thread? We're here, and we will keep telling OSUS that Lagos is Yorubaland. If any other tribe is not comfortable with the reality that Lagos is Yoruba land please come and collect it. What are you waiting for?

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande by MuchAdo: 7:26pm On Mar 14, 2023
Piggiiddiotts can't read and comprehend. What a shame! angry

Is Lagos still a federal territory

Is Nigeria still a British colony

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande by franchasofficia: 7:26pm On Mar 14, 2023
Funny thread grin

The truth is, even if Lagos has been referred to as a "No Man's land" to depict its openness to all tribes and races ready to hustle and contribute to the growth of Lagos, it does not take away the fact that Lagos is in Southwest Nigeria and therefore should belong to the people in Southwest who are of course Yorubas.

So whatever history told before no longer holds water today, Lagos belongs to the Yorubas and there's no dragging this, and I have never seen any well meaning Igbo in my life saying he wants to take over Lagos.

Tinubu and Lagos APC are only using this "Lagos is a no man's land" mantra to incite neutral Yorubas to hate Igbos and therefore see any opposition to Tinubu and APC in Lagos as an Igbo agenda to take over Lagos, so that Yorubas can continue to vote only APC as a way of preventing Igbos from taking over Lagos like they claim.

Igbos have no interest in taking over anywhere, Igbos are only interested in prospering, excelling freely in whatever they do irrespective of location.

I own properties in Lagos and in other parts of Southwest and I have never seen it as an opportunity to take over the community.

We must stop allowing APC and Tinubu's corrupt supporters from dividing us and causing generational hatred between Igbos and Yorubas.

Some of the people claiming Igbo and saying Igbos will take over Lagos are not Igbos, they are paid instigators working to incite Yorubas against Igbos.

Many people misunderstand who Igbos are. Igbos just love building houses and establishing business anywhere they go to, its like a natural instinct. When I did my NSYC in Osun state, towards the end of my service year, I started telling my fellow corpse members that this Osun is good to own land and start business. Imagine me that came from Lagos oh lol. Many of my none Igbo corper friends were laughing that buy land ke, in this underdeveloped state? I kept pushing some to the extent we started planning how to jointly start business in Osun, and if not for money palava, I for start am.

So its just an inborn thing for Igbos to take advantage of any opportunity we see no matter the place. But politicians are deceiving people to see this trait in Igbos as Igbos trying to take over none Igbo regions, how is that even possible?

An Igbo can never become an Oba in Lagos so what are we arguing about?

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande by Pleasant01: 7:26pm On Mar 14, 2023
So?
Re: Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande by puremaker7(m): 7:29pm On Mar 14, 2023
Jogs1900:

They will be digging whatever will suit their agenda...Most of our youths don't know the difference between Lagos and Lagos state.
Don't be surprise when you hear people that live in places like Ikeja, Magodo Surulere etc telling you they are going to Lagos.Its because Lagos is different from Lagos state.
I know very soon , these elements will say Mowe too is Lagos and it's no mans land.
It's Yoruba that's giving them chance.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande by plaindealer: 7:34pm On Mar 14, 2023
it is evident that, for 89 years from 1862 to 1951

Dull and ignorant Pandora Igbos as usual can not read and comprehend simple English.

1862 to 1951 means for a period of time, not till today, besides, the Lagos he was talking about was Lagos Island, not Apapa, not Ikeja or ikorodu, Epe or anywhere beyond Cater bridge.

.. of course, Pandora Igbos are generally ignorant and unintelligent.. grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande by Coldsperm: 7:34pm On Mar 14, 2023
This one na old story. Everybody knows that Lagos belongs to no one. One day an Igbo man will rule Lagos. Know this and know peace.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande by Jogs1900: 7:45pm On Mar 14, 2023
puremaker7:
It's Yoruba that's giving them chance.
True...Sanwo second term will be different with federal govt backing.Just calm down.
There is agitation already...If not, APC in Lagos will loose the support of the Yoruba electorates in Lagos.
I laff atimes when they call Lagos a no mans land...If they fill form and ask for state of origin, make them write Lagos an.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande by puremaker7(m): 7:48pm On Mar 14, 2023
Jogs1900:

True...Sanwo second term will be different with federal govt backing.Just calm down.
There is agaitation already...If not, APC in Lagos will loose the support of the Yoruba electorates in Lagos.
I laff atimes when they call Lagos a no mans land...If they fill form and ask for state of origin, make them write Lagos an.
There's no two ways about it, Sanwo olu is winning the second time. You will see them shouting rigging by next week.

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande by opamoses1: 7:48pm On Mar 14, 2023
Another rubbish thread by IPOB.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Is No-man's-land - Alhaji Lateef Jakande by Jogs1900: 7:49pm On Mar 14, 2023
plaindealer:

Dull and ignorant Pandora Igbos as usual can not read and comprehend simple English.

1862 to 1951 means for a period of time, not till today, besides, the Lagos he was talking about was Lagos Island, not Apapa, not Ikeja or ikorodu, Epe or anywhere beyond Cater bridge.

.. of course, Pandora Igbos are generally ignorant and unintelligent.. grin
Just one local government out of twenty local governments .
Jakande was smart...Even in the speech, he didn't say Lagos state.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

OGD Banned To Hold Political Office For Life! / Tinubu Versus Ibori Who Is Smarter? / Protesters Shut-down Governor’s Office In Abeokuta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.