Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,235 members, 7,836,119 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:08 PM

Umo Eno and his Hotel Controversy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Umo Eno and his Hotel Controversy (450 Views)

Umo Eno Kneels Down As Governor Udom Annoints Him As Successor (Photo) / Tony Kabaka Reacts To Demolition Of His Hotel In Edo By Obaseki (Video) / Tony Kabaka Shields His Hotel Against Demolition, Mobilizes Kids, Adults (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Umo Eno and his Hotel Controversy by Browndiary(m): 7:27pm On Mar 15, 2023
There are people who will never see sense in whatever Umo Eno says. Do you know why?

In the parts of my academic researches that involved the discipline of philosophy, I read from existentialist philosophers that humans have difficulty processing information in a rational, unbiased manner once they have developed an opinion about:
• The subject (human or issue)
Or
• The source.

Modern study of social science (precisely psychology) gives one name to this: CONFIRMATION BIAS.

Confirmation bias is one example of how humans sometimes process information in an illogical, biased manner. Humans are better able to rationally process information, giving equal weight to multiple viewpoints, if they are emotionally distant from the issue (although a low level of confirmation bias can still occur even when an individual has no vested interests). Put differently but simply, once the human has some emotional attachment to the issue, it is hard for them to process an information rationally towards an objective conclusion.

I've been quietly following online comments as reactions trailing the hotel and tourism interview and the latest about "happy hour", and they fall into 3 sects.

1. The totally clueless ones (I'm very kind not to use "dumb"wink who have no idea of what tourism and its development entails. These ones know virtually nothing about governance and sectoral developments.

2. The interest ones who (whether they belong to the 1st or 3rd sect) will never open their minds to rational reasoning because Umo Eno is a rival to their principal and chances of "being in government".

3. The supposed intelligent ones who, deep down, know that Nigeria and Akwa Ibom have tourism potentials that can be converted to a new goldmine. These ones have read/travelled wide and know that UK for instance, rakes in about 53million pounds annually from tourism. They know about the Statue of Liberty in New York City, the Colosseum in Rome, Eiffel Tower in Paris, Taj Mahal in India, the Acropolis, Athens, among several others, and the economic fortunes these world famous tourist attractions have have done on their host countries. But because they just do not like Umo Eno for reasons best known to them, they have programmed their minds never to see the man's tourism ideas beyond hotels and drinking pubs.

Maybe the protagonists of Umo Eno in the media should stop bothering themselves with the engagements. Like the man in this photo, they should find some chilled drink and relax their mind. That will pay them better than arguing with minds already prepared against them.

However and lastly, truth remains, even the mixed crowd, we can identify these people and separate them into their categories. My only advise is, whoever cannot make sound argument should stay off controversial issues, lest they end up sounding CONTROVERSIALLY STUPID. The female friend I last gave this advise blocked me on all platforms. Only to run herself, months later, into a problem that will likely consume her entirety.

Ubong Sampson writes from the beach of IbioEtte Community, Mkpat Enin LGA.

Re: Umo Eno and his Hotel Controversy by immortalcrown(m): 7:31pm On Mar 15, 2023
Your post is incomprehensive to those who do not know anything about Umoh Enoh and whatever he did about hotels.

Good night.
Re: Umo Eno and his Hotel Controversy by losky83: 10:29pm On Mar 16, 2023
Browndiary:
There are people who will never see sense in whatever Umo Eno says. Do you know why?

In the parts of my academic researches that involved the discipline of philosophy, I read from existentialist philosophers that humans have difficulty processing information in a rational, unbiased manner once they have developed an opinion about:
• The subject (human or issue)
Or
• The source.

Modern study of social science (precisely psychology) gives one name to this: CONFIRMATION BIAS.

Confirmation bias is one example of how humans sometimes process information in an illogical, biased manner. Humans are better able to rationally process information, giving equal weight to multiple viewpoints, if they are emotionally distant from the issue (although a low level of confirmation bias can still occur even when an individual has no vested interests). Put differently but simply, once the human has some emotional attachment to the issue, it is hard for them to process an information rationally towards an objective conclusion.

I've been quietly following online comments as reactions trailing the hotel and tourism interview and the latest about "happy hour", and they fall into 3 sects.

1. The totally clueless ones (I'm very kind not to use "dumb"wink who have no idea of what tourism and its development entails. These ones know virtually nothing about governance and sectoral developments.

2. The interest ones who (whether they belong to the 1st or 3rd sect) will never open their minds to rational reasoning because Umo Eno is a rival to their principal and chances of "being in government".

3. The supposed intelligent ones who, deep down, know that Nigeria and Akwa Ibom have tourism potentials that can be converted to a new goldmine. These ones have read/travelled wide and know that UK for instance, rakes in about 53million pounds annually from tourism. They know about the Statue of Liberty in New York City, the Colosseum in Rome, Eiffel Tower in Paris, Taj Mahal in India, the Acropolis, Athens, among several others, and the economic fortunes these world famous tourist attractions have have done on their host countries. But because they just do not like Umo Eno for reasons best known to them, they have programmed their minds never to see the man's tourism ideas beyond hotels and drinking pubs.

Maybe the protagonists of Umo Eno in the media should stop bothering themselves with the engagements. Like the man in this photo, they should find some chilled drink and relax their mind. That will pay them better than arguing with minds already prepared against them.

However and lastly, truth remains, even the mixed crowd, we can identify these people and separate them into their categories. My only advise is, whoever cannot make sound argument should stay off controversial issues, lest they end up sounding CONTROVERSIALLY STUPID. The female friend I last gave this advise blocked me on all platforms. Only to run herself, months later, into a problem that will likely consume her entirety.

Ubong Sampson writes from the beach of IbioEtte Community, Mkpat Enin LGA.
I HAVE TAKEN TIME TO READ YOUR SHHHT AND I HAVE TO SAY THAT YOU ARE INDEED ONE OF THE MOST STUPID PERSONS WHO SPEND TIME PICKING WORDS FROM BOOKS JUST TO SHOW SOLIDARITY TO A MAN THAT IS LARGELY AND MASSIVELY REJECTED BY PEOPLE.A MAN THAT HAS NO FIRMNESS IN HIS IDEA FOR DEVELOPMENT.YOU THINK YOUR A BRILLIANT GUY BUT YOUR NOT BECAUSE YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT TALKING ABOUT TOURISM AS YOUR MAJOR OBJECTIVE IS LIKE TELLING PEOPLE THAT YOUR CONFUSED.
I LISTENED TO HIM AND HE LACKED WHAT IT TAKES TO BE A LEADER.
HE HAS A BAD REPUTATION TOWARDS PEOPLE AND SHOWS A FAKE LIFE.PERSONALLY,THE DAY I CONCLUDED THAT HE IS FAKE WAS WHEN I SAW HIM KNEE TO SOMEONE BELOW HIM IN THE RELIGIOUS HIRACHY FOR BLESSING.IT WAS DISGRACEFULL AND DECEITFUL.
LOOK,WE NEED SOMEONE THAT KNOWS THE TRUE PROBLEM OF THE PEOPLE,SOMEONE WHO CAN UNDERSTAND THEIR PLIGHT AND TRY TO HELP THEM,SOMEONE WITH CONSCIENCE,SOMEONE THAT HAS LOVE FOR HIS PEOPLE,A HUMBLE PERSON AND A SIMPLE PERSON THAT WILL NOT PLEASE ONLY ONE MAN BUT ALL MEN,SOMEONE THAT WILL NOT COME AND CONTINUE TO OWE PENSION AND GRATUITIES UNTILL ITS TIME FOR ELECTION,SOMEONE THAT WILL NOT COME AND CREATE EMPLOYMENT THAT CAN ONLY TAKE 50 SPECIAL NAMES OUT OF 10,000 JOB SEEKERS,WE DO NOT NEED SOMEONE THAT WILL COME AND USE BIG ENGLISH TO DECEIVE THE PEOPLE.
WE HAVE ALREADY SEEN THIS TYPE SO WE DO NOT WANT IT AGAIN.
GOD BLESS AKPABIO AND GOD BLESS AKWA IBOM AND GOD BLESS BASSEY ALBERT AND AKAN UDOFIA.

(1) (Reply)

Why Sophia Gimba, The Lady 'empowered' By Peter Obi, Is Trending / The Slow Decline Of Mc Oluomo / Gov Seyi Makinde. A G5 Governor That Stood

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.