Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,690 members, 7,820,408 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:22 PM

The Next Governor Of Rivers State - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The Next Governor Of Rivers State (176 Views)

The Next Governor of Enugu (2023-2031) / Anambra 2021: Group Insists Anambra South Must Produce Next Governor / Accident Involving Rivers State Athletes' Bus. Many Injured (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Next Governor Of Rivers State by KingsleyOnwuka1(m): 6:45am On Mar 16, 2023
Finding time and composure to write is one the most difficult things for me this period.

In 2014 a senior friend of mine who was a frontline student leader in Uniport told me that his camp was going to throw a party if the PDP gave Wike the governorship ticket, because the election in his estimation was going to be a walkover for the APC, with Wike as the candidate of the PDP. This senior comrade-friend of mine worked for Dakuku Peterside of the APC. I disagreed with him. I saw Wike's level of preparedness for the election, with the GDI structure and other factors in his favour. Wike emerged eventually.

Again in 2019 I predicted victory for Wike when everyone thought that federal might was going to descend heavily on him to force him out of the Brick House. I described the impending election then as "federal might versus local popularity in which case local popularity was going to prevail." That was when I was very active in calling into important radio programs in Port Harcourt to air my views on issues. On one of the programs on a popular radio station in Port Harcourt I said I was willing to bet all I had, that Wike was going to win the second term election. (I believe the records are there in the archives of the radio stations). The presenter wondered why I sounded so sure.
And Wike won.

Before I proceed let me say that if I were Wike I would organize a special thank you visit to Goodluck Jonathan and his wife immediately after leaving office on 29th May, to solemnly thank them for the key role they played in his becoming governor of Rivers State. Without Goodluck Jonathan and his wife, Wike in the first place would not have become governor of Rivers State. Even though they did it for him because they saw him as the strongest person they could use to deliver Rivers State to the PDP against the incumbent Governor Amechi, and he delivered overwhelmingly.

Before the last presidential election, I was predicting a smooth victory for Sim Fubara (the PDP governorship candidate). But after the presidential election the odds and factors have changed seriously and it is now difficult to predict a smooth victory for the PDP candidate. There are now growing resentments against Wike from different angles in Rivers State. Obviously Wike knows, and that's what informs the obvious last minute desperate moves to romance with different groups and sections of the Rivers population.

Let me go straight to my prediction of the outcome of the governorship election in Rivers State.

Dumo Lulu Briggs: I predict 5th position for Dumo Lulu Briggs. His wealthiness, popularity and philanthropic reputation are good factors but are not enough to earn him more than the 5th position in the election.

Beatrice Itubo: I predict 4th position for this agile and courageous woman. She may be counting on the Obi wave to blow in her favour in this governorship election, but the wave is not enough to give her the crown, as most Obidients were just interested in Peter Obi, most of the Obidients I know in Rivers State are even supporting Magnus Abe at the state level.

Tonye Cole: People of Nigeria even in Rivers State are grossly disenchanted with the APC. This is the key factor that is working against Tonye Cole in the upcoming election, otherwise Tonye Cole is a very fine material for the governorship of Rivers State. Well, Chibuike Amechi is still a very popular person in Rivers. Many people love Amechi very much in the State, and his popularity could be an advantage to the candidacy of Tonye Cole, but not enough to make him become governor of the state at this time.

Magnus Abe: The distinguished senator is the Peter Obi of Rivers State, in my estimation. Many people in the state think he is just the man for the job in Rivers State just as Peter Obi is regarded at the national level. If this election is just going to be free and fair, then I think Magnus Abe will win. But it seems certain factors might make him come second, it's just my prediction.

Sim Fubara: Since I started living in Port Harcourt I've never heard the name of this gentleman until last year when he emerged the governorship candidate of the PDP. So you might want to say he is not popular. But Wike and his people have made him popular overnight. And I think Wike's incumbency factor is strong enough to make him the next governor of Rivers State, even though narrowly. In our clime, what wins election is not popularity o, but grassroots voter-mobilization and what you may call field work.
Governor Nyesom Wike has many staunchly loyal grassroots foot soldiers who will do the field work for him perhaps using all kinds of means. This factor and other factors considered - Siminialayi Fubara is most likely the next governor of Rivers State.
This is just my prediction.

Kingsley Onwuka

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Order Your Rims Online At Wheelpoint.nl / How To Build Your Business’s Brand Identity Through Digital Marketing / Rubber Outdoor Tiles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.