Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,096 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:40 AM

Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) (11603 Views)

Obi's Energized Young Voters: Will They Turn Out For Him? - New York Times / Rinu Oduala Can't Write Her Exams (#EndSARS Protester) / #EndSARS: Modupe Odele, Rinu Oduala & Mr Macaroni Linked To Atiku By David Atta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) by ednut1(m): 11:04am On Mar 17, 2023
For many of the mobilizers like Rinu. End sars revenge is the goal not good governance

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) by Throwback: 11:05am On Mar 17, 2023
ednut1:
For many of the mobilizers like Rinu. End sars revenge is the goal not good governance

Exactly!

Asked her why she obeyed the legally declared curfew and went home.

All the celebrities too were already home as the curfew was declared.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) by Prozico22(m): 11:05am On Mar 17, 2023
Dis life na programming
Tinubu will be arrested save dis message
Re: Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) by Zico5(m): 11:06am On Mar 17, 2023
May be young voters in the South East. In my polling unit here in Lagos, the number of elders that voted triple that of youths. I expect the same level tomorrow but with different agenda not to allow Chinedu turn Lagos state to yamirin enclave. We are ready to protect and preserve Lagos state against parasites and after this election we will know what next to do. No room for yamirin here. Chinedu can wait until he pour himself of aliens among us

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) by Nayturalistic: 11:07am On Mar 17, 2023
Chivisee:
grin grin grin
I have never seen any tribe so obsessed with the yorubas like the ibos. The whole of your kilns mentioned tinubu everyday as if he's the one responsible for the sorry condition of your state. adaobi won lagos and the whole of sadeast celebrated it as if its equivalent of the presidency not knowing you were been used for consolation. Have u seen any yorubas fixating on any Eastern leaders despite the fact that they are very corrupt?? Thank God the yorubas have master the best way of using you ibos, Many thanks to Peter Obi for giving Tinubu a smooth ride to the presidency. As for the governorship election, its already settled,10million chinedus cannot stop sanwo-olu's re-election. Iboes will forever be behind the great yorubas. Regardless of your unruly behavior, we are always ready to accept you from your cursed state.

You Bam
Re: Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) by DesChyko: 11:08am On Mar 17, 2023
Kobonaire4:
If we wanted real change, we would have all voted for parties that were not PDP, APC, LP or NNPP.

You're not making sense, Sir.

What political value does LP in Nigerian affairs before this elections?
Re: Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) by andy244: 11:09am On Mar 17, 2023
E shock them. GRV all the way tomorrow
Re: Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) by DesChyko: 11:11am On Mar 17, 2023
Chivisee:
grin grin grin
I have never seen any tribe so obsessed with the yorubas like the ibos.

For every single Nairaland account you bring dedicated to attacking Yoruba affairs, I will bring you 10 Nairaland accounts super dedicated to attacking Igbo affairs.

Bring your head out of that hole you stuck it in.
Re: Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) by Nobody: 11:14am On Mar 17, 2023
socialmediaman:

The election was largely falsified, what part of that did you not see? Actual votes which were supposed to be uploaded at the polling unit were rewritten before being uploaded

Like I said, the election was not as bad as you think.

At the end, more Nigerians voted against APC than for. That is the reflection of the will of Nigerians. The problem is, the vote against APC was divided into three parties.

Also, I think that when parties cry rigging, most of the time, it is because they do not want to admit that they did not work hard enough for victory. That is understandable. People do not like to admit they were not hardworking enough. Far better to blame others for one;s shortcomings.

Again, most people voted against APC. Had the vote against APC been for one party, which would have happened if Obi, Atiku, Kwankwaso and Wike had not let their divisions disrupt and divide them, Tinubu would have been the one weeping, and you and i won't be having this conversation.

Obi lost because the opposition was divided...just as in 2011, when Buhari left ANPP, and formed his own party, and in the process messed up the opposition vote then. And like Obi, Buhari spent the next two years blaming rigging, and threatening blood on animals,...until he humbled himself and started doing what he should have done years before...seek out new friends and allies. And then eventually won.

I stopped believing in the rigging idea in 2004, when I found out that people who were blasting PDP with me, voted for PDP. Inspite of the bad performance of PDP...and they laughed at me for not voting for PDP.

And no, I am not happy that APC won. APC has not done well, and I don't like Tinubu either. But elections are not won by division, they are won by unity of purpose.

3 Likes

Re: Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) by Nobody: 11:16am On Mar 17, 2023
DesChyko:

You're not making sense, Sir.

What political value does LP in Nigerian affairs before this elections?

Where was Peter Obi and Datti Ahmed at this time in 2019?

In PDP.

It's not like they were LP members then, and back then you would have laughed at anyone telling you to vote for LP.

It's the same old song...just different costuming.

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) by Throwback: 11:16am On Mar 17, 2023
N3TRAL:
Rinu's article was published by CNN OPINION and there's a disclaimer at the commencement that the content of the article are not facts but opinion of the composer. It isn't different from what I opine anonymously on this forum every night and day.

The youth population in Nigeria are not limited to Southern Youth or Christian youth.

There are 7 States in Nigeria's North West compared to the 6 States of the South South where I'm a native. There are 6 States of the North East compared to the 5 States of the South East where Peter Obi had the best results.

If there's anything the elections has taught me, it is that the Nigerian youth is not liberated. Like her parents before her, whom she mocks for being docile and emotional, the Nigerian youth is constantly imprisoned by the chains of tribalism and religious extremism.

Let's face it, in the United States, the United Kingdom, Finland, Norway or anywhere classified as a first world society, Datti Ahmed who called for a law to kill homosexuals and non-binary people in Nigeria would never be in a ticket and that ticket would be celebrated by "progressives" of the society.

We know why Labour Party won in Nasarawa and FCT but failed to make 25% in Niger State. We know why APC won Niger State but failed to make 25% in Abuja. We know why Labour Party won Lagos, but failed to make 25% in Ogun, Osun or the South Western States bordering Lagos.

We know why Peter Obi campaigned at Southern Kaduna and not at the stadium at the centre of the City. We know why Tinubu scored less than 10% in the South East and Peter Obi scored less than 5% in many North Western and North Eastern States.

The results didn't present anything different or unexpected from a country with such a huge diversity. The turnout may have been low when compared to previous results, but it was higher than previous elections without their results. What reduced the number of votes cast was the introduction of technology by the Independent umpire vested with the power to organize National democratic polls.

Genuine students of arts and humanities know that our democracy is improving and it's something to be proud of. At least we've passed the era where results were written at the residence of military generals. We're at an epoch where voters figures are difficult to inflate. Until this election, the Senate was the retirement home of many State Governors but many of them failed in an unprecedented pattern. Commercial drivers and average Joes who can't afford transport to Abuja defeated elite politicians.

The people of Nigeria are becoming more powerful with their franchise but it is scary that they seem to prioritize prejudice and vengeance while exercising their new found power instead of competency and goodwill.

Salute!

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) by monakii: 11:24am On Mar 17, 2023
N3TRAL:
Rinu's article was published by CNN OPINION and there's a disclaimer at the commencement that the content of the article are not facts but opinion of the composer. It isn't different from what I opine anonymously on this forum every night and day.

The youth population in Nigeria are not limited to Southern Youth or Christian youth.

There are 7 States in Nigeria's North West compared to the 6 States of the South South where I'm a native. There are 6 States of the North East compared to the 5 States of the South East where Peter Obi had the best results.

If there's anything the elections has taught me, it is that the Nigerian youth is not liberated. Like her parents before her, whom she mocks for being docile and emotional, the Nigerian youth is constantly imprisoned by the chains of tribalism and religious extremism.

Let's face it, in the United States, the United Kingdom, Finland, Norway or anywhere classified as a first world society, Datti Ahmed who called for a law to kill homosexuals and non-binary people in Nigeria would never be in a ticket and that ticket would be celebrated by "progressives" of the society.

We know why Labour Party won in Nasarawa and FCT but failed to make 25% in Niger State. We know why APC won Niger State but failed to make 25% in Abuja. We know why Labour Party won Lagos, but failed to make 25% in Ogun, Osun or the South Western States bordering Lagos.

We know why Peter Obi campaigned at Southern Kaduna and not at the stadium at the centre of the City. We know why Tinubu scored less than 10% in the South East and Peter Obi scored less than 5% in many North Western and North Eastern States.

The results didn't present anything different or unexpected from a country with such a huge diversity. The turnout may have been low when compared to previous results, but it was higher than previous elections without their results. What reduced the number of votes cast was the introduction of technology by the Independent umpire vested with the power to organize National democratic polls.

Genuine students of arts and humanities know that our democracy is improving and it's something to be proud of. At least we've passed the era where results were written at the residence of military generals. We're at an epoch where voters figures are difficult to inflate. Until this election, the Senate was the retirement home of many State Governors but many of them failed in an unprecedented pattern. Commercial drivers and average Joes who can't afford transport to Abuja defeated elite politicians.

The people of Nigeria are becoming more powerful with their franchise but it is scary that they seem to prioritize prejudice and vengeance while exercising their new found power instead of competency and goodwill.

Apt and succinct!
Save for your submission in the 5th paragraph, you have made a very solid analysis of our current socio-political situation.
As an advocate of "Nigerianism" I believe we can even get things done better in our own peculiar way without inheriting some of the ostensibly disgusting cultures of the white folks.
Bye and large, thumbs up for your broad minded opinion.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) by Nobody: 11:25am On Mar 17, 2023
Racoon:
Nigeria has attained that already. The youth are the revolutionary forces like in the class of Kaduna Nzeogwu, Gideon Orkar.

Kaduna Nzeogwu set of the events that led to the brutal civil war, and also terminated our first attempt at democracy.

As for Orkar,good thing he failed, because if he succeeded, anarchy would have resulted.
Re: Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) by DesChyko: 11:26am On Mar 17, 2023
Kobonaire4:

Where was Peter Obi and Datti Ahmed at this time in 2019?

In PDP.

Under what party did Peter Obi demonstrate most of the values for which he is held in high esteem for?

In APGA. He still has those values and qualities till today. It's about the person.

The governors behind the exploitation of our ECA in 2014 which would have played a role in cushioning the effects of the recession, where do you find most of them today?

In APC. They are still exploiting our ECA till today. It's about the person.
Re: Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) by azpekuliar: 11:33am On Mar 17, 2023
Kobonaire4:
More oppositon votes went to Atiku than to Obi.

Also, which young Nigerians? Most of the young Nigerians who voted for Obi live in the cities, not in the rural areas or the Northern parts of the nation.

Also, in my opinion, Obi divided the opposition vote by leaving PDP.

Addendum

Obi was in PDP. If he won, it would have been PDPAPC by another name in charge. If we wanted real change, we would have all voted for parties that were not PDP, APC, LP or NNPP.

What you fail to realise is Obi created his own votes in this election.
Re: Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) by Bluntemperor: 11:34am On Mar 17, 2023
N3TRAL:

Good Summary!
Re: Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) by socialmediaman: 11:35am On Mar 17, 2023
Kobonaire4:

Like I said, the election was not as bad as you think.

At the end, more Nigerians voted against APC than for. That is the reflection of the will of Nigerians. The problem is, the vote against APC was divided into three parties.

Also, I think that when parties cry rigging, most of the time, it is because they do not want to admit that they did not work hard enough for victory. That is understandable. People do not like to admit they were not hardworking enough. Far better to blame others for one;s shortcomings.

Again, most people voted against APC. Had the vote against APC been for one party, which would have happened if Obi, Atiku, Kwankwaso and Wike had not let their divisions disrupt and divide them, Tinubu would have been the one weeping, and you and i won't be having this conversation.

Obi lost because the opposition was divided...just as in 2011, when Buhari left ANPP, and formed his own party, and in the process messed up the opposition vote then. And like Obi, Buhari spent the next two years blaming rigging, and threatening blood on animals,...until he humbled himself and started doing what he should have done years before...seek out new friends and allies. And then eventually won.

I stopped believing in the rigging idea in 2004, when I found out that people who were blasting PDP with me, voted for PDP. Inspite of the bad performance of PDP...and they laughed at me for not voting for PDP.

And no, I am not happy that APC won. APC has not done well, and I don't like Tinubu either. But elections are not won by division, they are won by unity of purpose.

The election was bad, very bad.

If I were Peter Obi's legal team, I will go after those returning officers who falsified the numbers from the polling units, so that next time, if anyone is approached with money, they know they will go to jail afterwards.

People are dismissed from work because of age falsification or forgery of certificates and documents, same should apply to those hundreds of INEC officers who participated in the crimes

In the end, maybe, the votes that Tinubu actually got may not even be more than 3 million, who knows
Re: Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) by thedio(m): 11:40am On Mar 17, 2023
I don't understand why some ppl.who believe the last presidential election was rigged are talking about undervoting.
Perhaps the lack the understanding of the introduction of BVAS discourage politians from stuffing ballot boxes in their strong holds.
May be we need to let them know that previous elections accredited voters were manufactured figures in the factory of inec with and polling agents as casual staffs and politicians as supervisors
Re: Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) by gotnel: 11:48am On Mar 17, 2023
In the next round of elections 2027, if the youths are able to sustain the present tempo of political activities, then, they will make something more than this year.
As for now, their voices is very loud but pulling the rugs out of the feef of political heavyweight is not possible.
Tomorrow elections will be a testament of what I am saying.
Re: Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) by Nobody: 11:56am On Mar 17, 2023
DesChyko:

Under what party did Peter Obi demonstrate most of the values for which he is held in high esteem for?

In APGA. He still has those values and qualities till today. It's about the person.

The governors behind the exploitation of our ECA in 2014 which would have played a role in cushioning the effects of the recession, where do you find most of them today?

In APC. They are still exploiting our ECA till today. It's about the person.

Obi was in the same PDP. Full stop.

Better stop defending these politicans. Tinubu, Atiku, Obi, they are all in the same racket.

If you want change, get out and form your own party, or support non PDPAPCLPNNPP parties.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) by Nobody: 11:58am On Mar 17, 2023
socialmediaman:

The election was bad, very bad.

If I were Peter Obi's legal team, I will go after those returning officers who falsified the numbers from the polling units, so that next time, if anyone is approached with money, they know they will go to jail afterwards.

People are dismissed from work because of age falsification or forgery of certificates and documents, same should apply to those hundreds of INEC officers who participated in the crimes

In the end, maybe, the votes that Tinubu actually got may not even be more than 3 million, who knows

At the end, APC won. We better accept it, learn our lessons and get ready for 2027.

If all the opposition votes went for one party, would you be talking like this?
Re: Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) by socialmediaman: 12:03pm On Mar 17, 2023
Kobonaire4:

At the end, APC won. We better accept it, learn our lessons and get ready for 2027.

If all the opposition votes went for one party, would you be talking like this?

It seems you guys aren't getting the point. Even if the opposition was together, the APC would still have falsified the numbers, give Tinubu 12 million votes, give opposition 10 million votes, and claim Tinubu inherited Buhari's votes, then ask you to go to court. How difficult is that?

The only reason they didn't give Tinubu 12 million votes was probably because it will seem outrageous, but I have no doubt they would've done that if opposition got up to 10 million votes.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) by Nobody: 12:07pm On Mar 17, 2023
socialmediaman:

It seems you guys aren't getting the point. Even if the opposition was together, the APC would still have falsified the numbers, give Tinubu 12 million votes, give opposition 10 million votes, and claim Tinubu inherited Buhari's votes, then ask you to go to court. How difficult is that?

The only reason they didn't give Tinubu 12 million votes is because it will seem outrageous. Nigerians keep blaming themselves rather than go after the election riggers.

Better accept we lost.

You are talking like Buhari talked till he won election when he learned his lesson...and united the oppositon.
Re: Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) by PHZADDY1(m): 12:09pm On Mar 17, 2023
[quote author=Kobonaire4 post=121800475]More oppositon votes went to Atiku than to Obi.

Also, which young Nigerians? Most of the young Nigerians who voted for Obi live in the cities, not in the rural areas or the Northern parts of the nation.

Addendum

Obi was in PDP. If he won, it would have been PDPAPC by another name in charge. If we wanted real change, we would have all voted for parties that were not PDP, APC, LP or NNPP.[/quote0]Sharap there,Mugu
Re: Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) by socialmediaman: 12:09pm On Mar 17, 2023
Kobonaire4:

Better accept we lost.

You are talking like Buhari talked till he won election when he learned his lesson...and united the oppositon.

Well, I've made my point. If you're not an APC supporter yourself disguising as opposition, you'll insist on fighting for what is right.
Re: Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) by Dindondin(m): 12:11pm On Mar 17, 2023
Kobonaire4:

The election was not perfect, but it was not as bad as you make it out to be.

Actually, APC lost. They won because the opposition vote was divided into three parties. Had the opposition vote been for one party, APC would have been out in the cold.

If it was rigged, we would have been talking of APC winning the majority of the vote. Not the minority they won.

Next time, Obi, Atiku, Wike and Kwakwaso should not split the party.
I seconded this. And some of those oppositions are sponsored ones. A suspect is Kwankwaso.
If Obi har teamed up with Atiku, PDP would v won.
Re: Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) by Nobody: 12:15pm On Mar 17, 2023
Dindondin:

I seconded this. And some of those oppositions are sponsored ones. A suspect is Kwankwaso.
If Obi har teamed up with Atiku, PDP would v won.

Kwakwaso was , i honestly don't know, doing his own thing.?

He had no chance outside Kano. And I think he knew it.
Re: Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) by Bleeel002: 12:15pm On Mar 17, 2023
Kobonaire4:
More oppositon votes went to Atiku than to Obi.

Addendum

Obi was in PDP. If he won, it would have been PDPAPC by another name in charge. If we wanted real change, we would have all voted for parties that were not PDP, APC, LP or NNPP.
receive sense Oga, no body voted for Obi because of LP, we voted for him based on competence, integrity, trust, compassion and his clean pass record as a governor.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) by Nobody: 12:17pm On Mar 17, 2023
socialmediaman:

Well, I've made my point. If you're not an APC supporter yourself disguising as opposition, you'll insist on fighting for what is right.

Erm, I don't care for either side.

Also, I got tired of the rigging allegations years ago.

Plus, one thing I know, if Obi won' he won't change anything about elections. Changing elections goes way beyond changing rules. It requires changing people's mindset.

I just dey look you, PDP supporter, the same way I look the APC supporters. You don't want change.
Re: Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) by Nobody: 12:18pm On Mar 17, 2023
PHZADDY1:
.Sharrap there mugu...

Hmm, I am not mr mugu, and I don't know who he is. Maybe you misquoted me?

Anyway, you should ask someone who knows the Mr Mugu you seek.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Reviewing The Buhari Style By Chiedu Uche Okoye / I Will Make Community Policing Work, New IGP Egbetokun Vows (Video) / Pdp’ll Displace Oshiomhole – Anenih !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.