Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,023 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:07 AM

National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) (2088 Views)

Julius Malema Supporters Beat Up Whites Protesting 'Racist' Song in SA (PICS) / Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) / Man Receives Beating Of His Life For Calling A Fuel Attendant 'monkey' In SA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 7:07pm On Mar 20, 2023
Thousands of protesters marched through South Africa's cities on Monday, calling on President Cyril Ramaphosa to resign over the lack of jobs and electricity, as security forces guarded malls and streets to prevent any violence and looting.

South Africans are furious about failures of the governing African National Congress (ANC) to deliver services and create jobs - a third of South Africans are out of work. Analysts expect it to lose its parliamentary majority for the first time in three decades in national elections next year.

Meanwhile, state electricity utility Eskom is implementing the worst rolling blackouts on record, leaving households in the dark for up to 10 hours a day.

"We are not going to do anything. We just walk nicely and raise our concerns," protest leader Julius Malema, head of the Marxist Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF), said in front of a large crowd gathered at Church Square in Pretoria's city centre before marching to the president's office.

The EFF party, whose supporters are mainly poor Black South Africans who feel marginalised since the ANC ended white minority rule in 1994, called for a national shutdown - a move which was successful to the extent that many businesses were closed and workers stayed away for lack of transport.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by BOLATINUBU01: 7:11pm On Mar 20, 2023
But if na lagos, igbos go don dey burn BRT

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 7:12pm On Mar 20, 2023
Pretoria, Tshwane (capital city)

Re: National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 7:17pm On Mar 20, 2023
Johannesburg (largest city and economic hub)

Re: National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by magoo10(m): 7:19pm On Mar 20, 2023
If it is here soldiers will open life bullets on the protesters.
Re: National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 7:24pm On Mar 20, 2023
Sandton, Johannesburg (the richest square mile in Africa)

Re: National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by Africblogng: 7:28pm On Mar 20, 2023
It's about time time in Africa
Re: National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by Billionaire2: 7:31pm On Mar 20, 2023
south african cities are too beautiful for the kind of retards that populate them.

anyways, nigerians in that country should be on alert… this kind of protest is usually followed by xenophobic attacks…

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by gaby(m): 7:40pm On Mar 20, 2023
When are we going to make such move bigger than the #EndSars movement in ZNIGERIA?
Re: National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by godliman: 7:42pm On Mar 20, 2023
BOLATINUBU01:
Not only Igbo, na Idoma

1 Like

Re: National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 7:43pm On Mar 20, 2023
Cape Town (second richest city in SA)

Re: National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 7:46pm On Mar 20, 2023
Durban (SA's third largest city)

Re: National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 7:52pm On Mar 20, 2023
Gqeberha, Port Elizabeth (Eastern Cape)

Re: National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by Robinmido(m): 7:56pm On Mar 20, 2023
Do you think your comments will hurt an igbo person? Think again better channel your energy into a good thing that will help your life rather than churning out hateful comments.
BOLATINUBU01:

7 Likes

Re: National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by mysticwarrior(m): 8:11pm On Mar 20, 2023
Am surprise they didn't blame Nigerians for unemployment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by BOLATINUBU01: 8:19pm On Mar 20, 2023
Robinmido:
Do you think your comments will hurt an igbo person? Think again better channel your energy into a good thing that will help your life rather than churning out hateful comments.
I doing better than anyone in your generation, do stop wailing grin

1 Like

Re: National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 8:20pm On Mar 20, 2023
Airports and roads affected

1 Like

Re: National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by IronGalaxy: 8:44pm On Mar 20, 2023
WannaHowzit:
Thousands of protesters marched through South Africa's cities on Monday, calling on President Cyril Ramaphosa to resign over the lack of jobs and electricity, as security forces guarded malls and streets to prevent any violence and looting.

South Africans are furious about failures of the governing African National Congress (ANC) to deliver services and create jobs - a third of South Africans are out of work. Analysts expect it to lose its parliamentary majority for the first time in three decades in national elections next year.

Meanwhile, state electricity utility Eskom is implementing the worst rolling blackouts on record, leaving households in the dark for up to 10 hours a day.

"We are not going to do anything. We just walk nicely and raise our concerns," protest leader Julius Malema, head of the Marxist Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF), said in front of a large crowd gathered at Church Square in Pretoria's city centre before marching to the president's office.

The EFF party, whose supporters are mainly poor Black South Africans who feel marginalised since the ANC ended white minority rule in 1994, called for a national shutdown - a move which was successful to the extent that many businesses were closed and workers stayed away for lack of transport.

This march kinda failed to gain traction, it was quiet where I was.
Re: National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by IronGalaxy: 8:45pm On Mar 20, 2023
mysticwarrior:
Am surprise they didn't blame Nigerians for unemployment.
You make everything that happens in SA about Nigerians, get over yourself asseblief, you ain't all that. we got bigger fishes to fry
Re: National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 8:50pm On Mar 20, 2023
IronGalaxy:
This march kinda failed to gain traction, it was quiet where I was.

Maybe you live in a generally quiet place IG 🤭

In the CBDs it was not business as usual, I was in JHB. But I think it's coz of all the talk about violence leading up to the shutdown. People were scared. Fact that the general public didn't necessarily join the EFF marches means they failed dismally - in my opinion.
Re: National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by IronGalaxy: 8:54pm On Mar 20, 2023
WannaHowzit:

Maybe you live in a generally quiet place IG 🤭

In the CBDs it was not business as usual, I was in JHB. But I think it's coz of all the talk about violence leading up to the shutdown. People were scared. Fact that the general public didn't necessarily join the EFF marches means they failed dismally - in my opinion.
Word. isn't it strange though we haven't had load-shedding? Don't you think this is proof the power utility is sabotaged?
Re: National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 9:05pm On Mar 20, 2023
IronGalaxy:
Word. isn't it strange though we haven't had load-shedding? Don't you think this is proof the power utility is sabotaged?

I think the problems are real - the power stations are over 30 years old. The new ones and their faults maybe we can argue 🤷🏾‍♂️

I think they went for what Zuma was doing - overstretching the grid and using more expensive diesel for populist reasons. He actually destroyed these facilities by doing that - people have forgotten.

But what happened this weekend at Eskom was definitely a deliberate and populist move. ANC thought you'd be happier sitting through a lockdown that was atleast lit 24 hrs.

1 Like

Re: National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 10:33pm On Mar 20, 2023
Julius Malema lauds SA for peaceful national shutdown

Re: National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by omniwater: 11:23pm On Mar 20, 2023
The ipob (obidients) plans to organise "end SARS 2" has failed now as the majority of Yoruba youths they planned to use as pawns to shut down the country have withdrawn their supports for the protest.
Yoruba youth eyes have opened to the facts that during end sars 1 protests, many Yoruba public properties were targeted and destroyed.
Besides, there wouldn't be an "end sars 2" if Atiku had won the presidential election. They also know that obi can not win that election.

Their hatred for anything Yoruba is unparalleled.

We have seen through their shenanigans.

That is why Igbos (obidients) both home and abroad are currently crying because their plans has failed.
Re: National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by kollinzgee(m): 11:29pm On Mar 20, 2023
Mc oluomo and his thugs will not let this happen in Nigeria .
Re: National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by PARADIZEPRIEST: 12:38am On Mar 21, 2023
Common 10hours a day blackout you people are protesting.
IN NIGERIA SOME PEOPLE DONT HAVE ELeTRICITY FOR 10DAYS,20DAYS,30DAYS MONTHS AND YEARS and they are smiling angryIs not enough to make Remoposa resign. shocked
Re: National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by mysticwarrior(m): 3:14am On Mar 21, 2023
IronGalaxy:
You make everything that happens in SA about Nigerians, get over yourself asseblief, you ain't all that. we got bigger fishes to fry
South Africans have accused Nigerians of taking their Jobs In the past and you and I know that this is true.
Re: National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by Watcharena: 3:53am On Mar 21, 2023
magoo10:
If it is here soldiers will open life bullets on the protesters.
Did you see the protesters burning or destroying anything in those pictures
Re: National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by IronGalaxy: 10:31am On Mar 21, 2023
mysticwarrior:
South Africans have accused Nigerians of taking their Jobs In the past and you and I know that this is true.
Like I said, Stop forcing yourselves on everything that happens in SA, not everything's about you
Re: National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by mysticwarrior(m): 11:44am On Mar 21, 2023
IronGalaxy:
Like I said, Stop forcing yourselves on everything that happens in SA, not everything's about you
Bring out facts to prove my point wrong and stop shifting the goalpost
Re: National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 12:07pm On Mar 21, 2023
mysticwarrior:
Bring out facts to prove my point wrong and stop shifting the goalpost

Biscuitcarrier go poop in Tinubu's diapers 💩 and not in my beautiful thread abeg.
Re: National Shutdown in SA Leaves Streets Empty on Monday (PICS) by mysticwarrior(m): 12:17pm On Mar 21, 2023
WannaHowzit:

Biscuitcarrier go poop in Tinubu's diapers 💩 and not in my beautiful thread abeg.
As e dey pain them e dey sweet us, and as dey sweet us e dey pain them. Tmksouth It's obvious you were one of the protesters, and that gave more credit to your post as an eyewitness reporter. Please with no offense directed tell me the truth, are you currently unemployed?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

#istandwithrussia Now Trending On Twitter (photos) / Breaking News: U.S. Senator Ted Kennedy Dies At 77 / Wow Pictures! New Militant 'Xenophobic' Movement In SA Called 'Operation Dudula'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.