Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,465 members, 7,819,698 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:15 PM

Argo Bitcoin Mining As A Service Is A SCAM!!! - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Argo Bitcoin Mining As A Service Is A SCAM!!! (4094 Views)

How Payescrow Escrow Service Is Guarding Nigerians, One Transaction At A Time / Skull Mining: Nigerians Express Worries Over The Killings In Ogun / Osun Arrests 17 Chinese, Traditional Chief, 9 Locals For Illegal Mining (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Argo Bitcoin Mining As A Service Is A SCAM!!! by TheDauraMallam: 12:24pm On Mar 22, 2023
Hello Nairalanders and and Nigerians in general, I'd like to bring to your attention a new kind of scam being perpetuated on the Internet and especially targeting Nigerians. Below is my experience with them and also tips on how I came to uncover their scheme.

So, having just finished a virtual assistance course, I was basically checking online for a virtual assistant job. This scheme is very tricky because it particularly targets those who are already sold to the catchphrase that you can earn money, in thousands, with just your phone.

I googled virtual assistant jobs, and as expected, this was what Google brought up.

1 Share

Re: Argo Bitcoin Mining As A Service Is A SCAM!!! by TheDauraMallam: 12:42pm On Mar 22, 2023
You will notice the first two results are sponsored, meaning they are adverts, paid to show first on the result algorithm when anyone from a specific place, say Nigeria searches.

You will also notice that both of them have questionable urls. No legit website starts with such gibberish, and I am quite familiar with the Internet to understand most websites that end with .vip are shady in nature. But I was curious and I proceeded to click the first one.

Bear in mind that there are a lot of other websites like that, as I am aware both websites were clones (similar in nature).
Re: Argo Bitcoin Mining As A Service Is A SCAM!!! by TheDauraMallam: 12:54pm On Mar 22, 2023
The website I clicked brought me up to this page below. It was quite simple and all I needed to do was to click on the green link as instructed.

It will automatically redirect me to whatsapp and open up a chat link with a strange foreign number.

I cancelled and I tried the link again and it brought up another different number. It appears the link has been configured in a way to evenly share victims who click on the link to those (usually a team) who were in charge of the website, using different numbers. That way, any member of the team don't get overwhelmed. I will later realize it was even more necessary so as to propagate the scam fully when they all congregate in a Whatsapp group to fool unsuspecting victims by giving legitimacy to the project, and sharing forged payment/cashout receipts as evidence.

Anyway, I decided to chat with one of the numbers, and the following occurred.

Re: Argo Bitcoin Mining As A Service Is A SCAM!!! by ZirconRG: 8:11pm On Apr 24, 2023
Okay, so what happened next?
This is an interesting exposé

(1) (Reply)

Slay Queens Strip, Torture Their Friend For Allegedly Stealing N400k Phone / (photos);when Kidnapper, Evans Family Were Spending Money VS When Trouble Came / VIDEO Nigerian Lady Stabs Boyfriend To Death In Benue, Hangs Around Till He Dies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.