Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:29 AM

Solarin's Widow Locks Mayflower School In Protest - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Solarin's Widow Locks Mayflower School In Protest (10754 Views)

ABSUTH Provost Joins Students In Protest (photos) / Tai Solarin University Of Education (TASUED) 2015/2016 Admission Forum. / Sheila Solarin Of Mayflower School Is Dead (Tai Solarin's Widow) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solarin's Widow Locks Mayflower School In Protest by funkybaby(f): 3:43pm On Sep 18, 2011
mitofag:

You have a good head on your shoulder.

Many people dont know the history of MayFlower and how Tai Solarin himself allowed the school to be taken over by the government. Some people just come here and yarn trash they know nothing about.

Voucher ko, discount price ni. For me, I think people should go to school on credit aka awin grin

Okay, now since you know the full story/history, can you please tell us here?

Personally, am surprised and confused on how Ogun state government can lay claim/hold to a school that's we all thought was privately owned undecided
Re: Solarin's Widow Locks Mayflower School In Protest by basadenet: 4:42pm On Sep 18, 2011
Ogun State Government should return back the school to her, after all it belongs to Taiwo Solarin family.
Re: Solarin's Widow Locks Mayflower School In Protest by God2man(m): 8:40pm On Sep 18, 2011
Wherever there is a will, there will always be way out. If the Government want to upgrade public schools to the level that is internationally accepted, they can do it. They do not need to disturb private schools. Where was the state Government when the standard of education was moving below the average? It is a bad idea. God2man.
Re: Solarin's Widow Locks Mayflower School In Protest by poweredcom(m): 9:02pm On Sep 18, 2011
when all these yeye pastors has used private school to spoil public ones even the governors are guilty also, they own some shares in these private university and schools they even have heirs to make money, instaed of making the public ones which they went through in their times, to get back and better,

Now privates are very expensive in this our no future nation,
Re: Solarin's Widow Locks Mayflower School In Protest by ektbear: 9:24pm On Sep 18, 2011
hercules07:

Public does not mean it is free, someone must pay for it and our taxes and commonwealth are doing that, primary and secondary schools should be public, free and qualitative, it can be done and should be done.

Government run schools, public, free, and qualitative? When it is the state government doing it?

Good luck with that

May as well be waiting for unicorns or flying ponies.

The system doesn't work, is broken, and needs to be fixed if we want to not get outclasses academically by countries 1/2 our size (Singapore 1/30th of our size would kick our @ss in any academic competition.)
Re: Solarin's Widow Locks Mayflower School In Protest by delpee(f): 11:27pm On Sep 18, 2011
Why cant the govt build and maintain good public schools instead of reaping from where they did not sow? Rivers state is doing that and wonderfully well.

Too much politics and looting have rendered our public schools useless. I cant imagine sending a child to a fed govt college now though its supposed to be better than most public schools, yet i attended one when they were the best public schools in Naija.
Re: Solarin's Widow Locks Mayflower School In Protest by GeorgeD1(m): 10:19am On Sep 19, 2011
someone should tell amosun to go to edo state and see what oshiomole has turned public schools into.

if you're a private school owner in that state and there is an upgraded public school near yours,
you will almost bow your head in shame looking at the high grade structure where children go to learn
for free and your own less than stelar building where students are made to pay through their nose!
Re: Solarin's Widow Locks Mayflower School In Protest by agitator: 1:44pm On Sep 19, 2011
Government wooing investors and confiscating private investments. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Solarin's Widow Locks Mayflower School In Protest by attitude1: 4:16pm On Sep 19, 2011
Ogun State govt should concentrate her efforts on the existing public schools to make them truly standard and competitive. I am for quality and affordable education at all levels. If public schools are properly funded and administered, the private ones will eventually have to bring down their fees.

The governor has been lamenting about the debt hanging on the government (from previous administration), one wonders where Amosun intends to fund the additional expenses he's taking on board.
Re: Solarin's Widow Locks Mayflower School In Protest by ektbear: 9:54pm On Sep 21, 2011
I've seen some stuff over the past couple of weeks that made me very sad about Nigeria and Africa's education in general cry

Something needs to be done. The current approach is not working at all.
Re: Solarin's Widow Locks Mayflower School In Protest by violent(m): 10:33pm On Sep 21, 2011
This woman has given a large chunk of her life and served Nigeria than the state governor himself. Mayflower's legacy should be preserved, not left in the hands of a clueless government whose interest are at best polictical!

Sheila obirin ogun, omo to bi je gberun lo mele ka won ton!

Koi to, koi to, sha ma kowa niso lo, a o somo fun o!

Re: Solarin's Widow Locks Mayflower School In Protest by Ishikawa: 12:36am On Sep 22, 2011
Well, haven graduated from Mayflower and presently having a sibling there, I am actually very happy that the ACN government is taking back the school that the Gbenga Daniel administration handed back to the Solarins about two years ago.
When the school was returned to the owners, the school fees was increased by about 600% and therefore could only be afforded by the rich. In fact I know some people personally that had to withdraw their children because of the school fees.
Mayflower became a great school even as a government school. When the miltary forcefully took the school from Tai Solarin, things in Nigeria were not as bad as it is now and Government colleges were the best schools.
Government taking over the school was good then and the school has actually been a Government school for many years and "Government didn't spoil the school".
Insisting that the school should be private seems like insisting that UNILAG, UNIBEN, LASU, OAU should all be private.

P.S: Tai Solarin will not have objected in order to educate all, both rich and poor.
Re: Solarin's Widow Locks Mayflower School In Protest by mitofag: 1:06am On Sep 22, 2011
Ishikawa:

Well, haven graduated from Mayflower and presently having a sibling there, I am actually very happy that the ACN government is taking back the school that the Gbenga Daniel administration handed back to the Solarins about two years ago.
When the school was returned to the owners, the school fees was increased by about 600% and therefore could only be afforded by the rich. In fact I know some people personally that had to withdraw their children because of the school fees.
Mayflower became a great school even as a government school. When the miltary forcefully took the school from Tai Solarin, things in Nigeria were not as bad as it is now and Government colleges were the best schools.
Government taking over the school was good then and the school has actually been a Government school for many years and "Government didn't spoil the school".
Insisting that the school should be private seems like insisting that UNILAG, UNIBEN, LASU, OAU should all be private.

P.S: Tai Solarin will not have objected in order to educate all, both rich and poor.

Thank you jare.

Dont mind all these m/o/r/o/n/s living in America aka cyber-Nigerians. Some of them dont even know who Tai Solarin is or where the school is located. They just open their mouth and proffer American Solutions ( for uniquely American Problems) to Naija problems as if the two countries were joined at the hip politically and economically.
Re: Solarin's Widow Locks Mayflower School In Protest by ektbear: 1:17am On Sep 22, 2011
^-- Keep chattering nonsense, and watch as you are dominated academically by countries 1/2 (Iran) and 1/30th (Singapore) of your size.

160+ million people, and in a class I am teaching this term, zero from the entire continent.

Serious problem in Nigeria and Africa more generally, and people like you want to bury their heads in the sand, or play some stupid game of "cyber-Nigerians."
Re: Solarin's Widow Locks Mayflower School In Protest by agitator: 7:55am On Sep 22, 2011
mitofag:

Thank you jare.

Dont mind all these m/o/r/o/n/s living in America aka cyber-Nigerians. Some of them dont even know who Tai Solarin is or where the school is located. They just open their mouth and proffer American Solutions ( for uniquely American Problems) to Naija problems as if the two countries were joined at the hip politically and economically.

Most Wise and Intelligent master, you want private investors to come and invest in Nigeria abi?

Ishikawa:

Who or what is stopping the government from building a world class school to compete with the private schools. It is cheaper and better to confiscate a standard private personal school an individual has sweated to establish. angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Solarin's Widow Locks Mayflower School In Protest by agitator: 7:57am On Sep 22, 2011
too many people claiming intelligence and labeling all others with different opinions as m/o/r/o/n/s. How can Nigeria progress with such super intelligent people.
Re: Solarin's Widow Locks Mayflower School In Protest by ektbear: 8:05am On Sep 22, 2011
^-- I am starting to come to the conclusion that guys like Fstranger with their backwards thinking are what is holding Nigeria back.

How can a country like Iran with all the disadvantages it has and half the population be one that will dominate Nigeria academically in every way?

It is embarrassing and frankly shameful. Giant of Africa, midget of planet earth.

Foolish people who want the government to destroy the effort of private business in the name of "equality" are what has ruined this country.
Re: Solarin's Widow Locks Mayflower School In Protest by ektbear: 8:07am On Sep 22, 2011
In this engineering class I'm a teaching assistant for, how can zero of the faces be from Africa? Iran, the various Chinese countries and India are well represented. This does not bode well for the future, at all.
Re: Solarin's Widow Locks Mayflower School In Protest by hannie: 11:16am On Sep 22, 2011
Ishikawa:

erm erm . . .when did u graduate from Mayflower?

its quite mind-boggling that you are looking at this issue from the 'school fees' point of view instead of the larger picture of what obtains there!

when last did u visit the place?

how can N50K school fees be too much for a private school?

why should one not be happy that the control of the school is being taken away from Govt when what they offer teachers hired under the PTA agreement are offered N10,000 per month . . . angry
Re: Solarin's Widow Locks Mayflower School In Protest by Ishikawa: 12:16pm On Sep 22, 2011
@hannie
I have a brother in JSS3 there presently and I attended the last parent's meeting. Your figures are not correct. I have children of family friends there too.
Re: Solarin's Widow Locks Mayflower School In Protest by occam(m): 4:49pm On Sep 22, 2011
As an ex-May, I’m very apprehensive of the push to privatize Mayflower School. And to see ex-mays championing this cause is really very painful. Tai Solarin was a fervent believer in equal and unfettered education for all. This means education, especially at primary and secondary level funded and managed by the state. Privatization goes against this ethos.

Mayflower has been a public school since 1976, so I’m befuddled why some ex-mays now believe that privatizing Mayflower is the right approach. Falling standards is a reflection of the decay in all sectors (health, education, transportation etc) of public institutions in Nigeria. Mayflower school does not exist in a vacuum and to expect that standards will improve when privatized, is folly.

The increasing calmour to privatize is simply letting govt off the hook. "Education is a right for all and not a privilege for the rich" Lets all remember that there are millions of Nigerian children that are being denied this right.
Re: Solarin's Widow Locks Mayflower School In Protest by violent(m): 11:00pm On Sep 22, 2011
and to expect that standards will improve when privatized, is folly.

explain to us why you think it's folly to expect that standards will improve when privatized.
Re: Solarin's Widow Locks Mayflower School In Protest by hannie: 1:13am On Sep 23, 2011
There isnt much to agree with here, neither is there much to disagree on. . .

the problem is that too many people are interested in taking control of Mayflower School including the MOSA National body shocked they actually bidded for control of the school when the issue of privatization came up . . .now the issue is this:- as at January 15th that I visited the school, I met Mama Sheila and a had a quick word with here before she went for her siesta, but had extensive discussions with Corin who shed light on so many issues that concerns the running of the school (I dont need to blurt it all out here) . . .

The fundamental thing is that the previous govt had handed back the school to the Solarins, Amosun initially said he would take the school back and was made to understand why that shouldnt be, he later changed gear and promised handing over officially . . .AMOSUN SHOULD DO THE NEEDED, HAND OVER THE SCHOOL PROPERLY!!
Re: Solarin's Widow Locks Mayflower School In Protest by ektbear: 11:05pm On Sep 30, 2011
The government took away a school from our family too in the 70s cry

Talking with that side of my family earlier today, it looks like they will try to get it back too. And build a world-class high school.

I really hope that this happens.
Re: Solarin's Widow Locks Mayflower School In Protest by mitofag: 4:05am On Oct 13, 2011
ekt_bear:

The government took away a school from our family too in the 70s cry

Talking with that side of my family earlier today, it looks like they will try to get it back too. And build a world-class high school.

I really hope that this happens.

Interesting! I am sorry to hear that the govt too a school away from you in the 70s. I hope you get it back soon.

My heart goes out to you and your family.
Re: Solarin's Widow Locks Mayflower School In Protest by Nobody: 4:06am On Oct 13, 2011
mitofag:

Interesting! I am sorry to hear that [size=28pt][b]the govt too a school away[/size][/b] from you in the 70s. I hope you get it back soon.

My heart goes out to you and your family.

Meaning please?
Re: Solarin's Widow Locks Mayflower School In Protest by mitofag: 4:08am On Oct 13, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Meaning please?

Thats a typo, not as bad as [size=18pt]"You 've sinked."[/size]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Drop Your Post Utme Score(abu Zaria) Here Letz Know Our Chances Of Getting Admission / See List Of Nigerian Universities That Are On Strike. / Five Courses I Can Never Study In A University.(my Opinion)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.