Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,653 members, 7,820,273 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:25 PM

Our Anchor In Times Of Storm - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Our Anchor In Times Of Storm (1823 Views)

The Life And Times Of 'Jesu Oyingbo' (Jesus Of Oyingbo) / Who Or What Do Atheists Turn To In Times Of Trouble? / Making The Right Dicision In Times Of Trouble. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Our Anchor In Times Of Storm by yommyuk: 4:56am On Sep 18, 2011
INTRODUCTION

There are many different storms in life. You may be facing a conflict at work, financial trouble, or job loss. You might be struggling with poor health or a difficult relationship. The Father doesn’t promise to deliver us from all adversity. But He gave us the Scriptures for our encouragement and comfort. God’s Word is an immovable anchor in times of storm. In the midst of hardship and pain, we can rely on the Bible for the stability, guidance, and security we need.

What is the cause of storms?

We can bring adversity on ourselves, through sin, poor judgment, or lack of experience.

Some difficulty is caused by the wrongdoing of other people.

Satan brings hardship in an attempt to draw us away from the Lord.

The Lord causes some adversity. Whether or not the storm is from Him, He will always use it for our good.

What are God’s purposes in storms?

God wants to get our attention. When we lose our passion for the Father, He may use troubles and difficulty to gain our focus.

Purify us from sin. Through storms, God can call attention to areas of our lives that are not pleasing to Him.

Cause us to surrender to Him. The Father may want you to loosen your grip on something you treasure, because He has another blessing in mind for you.

Conform us to His image. Through adversity, the Lord refines our character and makes us more Christ- like

Equip us to serve Him. If you remain close to the Father, hardships will purify your heart and realign your life with His will

What makes the Bible an anchor for our lives?

It is the record of God’s unfolding revelation of Himself through the spoken Word, nature, history, and ultimately the coming of His Son Jesus Christ into the world.

Most importantly, we know who God is because we see how Jesus lived

John 14:9-10
Jesus replied, ‘Have I been with you all this time, Phillip, and yet you still don’t know who I am? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father! So why are you asking me to show him to you? Don’t you believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words I speak are not my own, but my Father who lives in me does his work through me.

The Bible is dependable which simply means it’s without error. God has given it to us as a guidebook.

How does the Word of God anchor us in times of storm?

It comforts us. In the middle of heartache and struggle, try reading the Book of Psalms.

Psalm 57:1-3.
Have mercy on me, O God have mercy! I look to you for protection I will hide beneath the shadow of your wings until the danger passes by. I cry out to God Most High, to God who will fulfill his purpose for me. He will send help from heaven to rescue me, disgracing those who hound me. My God will send forth his unfailing love and faithfulness – Amen!

It reminds us of God’s promises. Scripture assures us of the Lord’s presence, power, and provision in our lives.

Matthew 11:28
Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.

Joshua 1:9
This is my command- be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.

It is a compass for our lives

Prov. 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.

It teaches us how the Father works. Reading about the saints teaches us how to make wise decisions, and the stories of Israel’s rebellion help us avoid similar mistakes

1 Cor. 10:5-6
Yet God was not pleased with most of them, and their bodies were scattered in the wilderness. These things happened as a warning to us, so that we would not crave evil things as they did.

It gives us God’s viewpoint. By studying how He used adversity in the lives of biblical characters, we can better understand how He may want to use our present struggles.

How does the Bible work as an anchor?

You must read it. Just as a ship’s anchor does no good unless it is lowered, the Word of God can’t encourage you unless you take time to study it.

You must meditate on it. Think about the Lord’s promises and how He proved His faithfulness to believers in the past.

Believe what it says. If you allow yourself to doubt God’s promises, you will never receive all He has for you.
Apply it to your own life first—not the life of someone else.

You must be willing to obey it.

CONCLUSION:
You and I live in a wicked, godless age. Unless we are grounded, we will drift in our devotion to the Lord. So anchor yourself to His Word. It will comfort you, remind you of His promises, reveal His ways, and act as a moral compass. Most importantly, it will renew your mind with His eternal perspective. Regardless of what storms come, you can weather them with confidence, anchored to the solid rock of Jesus Christ.

Psalm 19:7-11
The instructions of the Lord are prefect, reviving the soul. The decrees of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple. The commandments of the Lord are clear, giving insight for living. Reverence for the Lord is pure, lasting forever. The law of the Lord is true; each one is fair. They are more desirable than gold, even the finest gold. They are sweeter than honey, even honey dripping from the comb. They are a warning to your servant, a great reward for those who obey them.

God bless wink

(1) (Reply)

Born Again Christians Knacking / The Real Truth Behind Christianity And Islam / Prove From The Quran That Islam Is A Religion Of Love And Peace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.