Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,711 members, 7,816,917 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:12 PM

This Is How The Global Press Described The Nigerian Elections - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / This Is How The Global Press Described The Nigerian Elections (507 Views)

We’re Compiling Reports On Nigerian Elections – US / US Ambassador, Stuart, Speaks On Nigerian Elections 2019 / U.S. And U.K. Press Statements On Upcoming Nigerian Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Is How The Global Press Described The Nigerian Elections by AustineE1: 11:56am On Mar 24, 2023
This is how the global press described what we did with ourselves called elections:

*The Economist* said a _“chaotically organized vote and messy count”_ gave Nigeria a new president.

*The Financial Times* said in an editorial comment that our presidential election was _“deeply flawed”_ and the winner _“a wealthy political fixer.”_

*The Guardian of U.K.* described the winner as _“an immensely wealthy veteran powerbroker trailed by corruption allegations which he denies.”_

*The New York Times* described him as _“a divisive figure in Nigerian politics.”_

*Robert Rotberg,* founding director of the Harvard Kennedy School's programme on intrastate conflict, wrote an opinion for *Canada's influential Globe and Mail*; its headline: _“Bola Tinubu's election is another triumph for Nigeria's corrupt old guard.”_

*The Times of London* was the most disrespectful. It used this very bad phrase: _“a wealthy kleptocratic 'godfather' of politics”_ to describe the person who will replace our very clean Buhari on May 29, 2023. As bad as those characterizations are, they are not as damaging as the Financial Times' revelation that it personally _“witnessed armed men remove a presidential ballot box in Surulere, Lagos”_ on Election Day.

*The CNN* last Friday played back a part of Bola Tinubu's acceptance speech where he described what he got as _“a serious mandate.”_ A CNN anchor then asked if it _“was really a mandate”_ with less than 10 percent of the registered voters behind it. He must be wondering what kind of people are these? The CNN and that anchor were not the only ones bemused by our electoral culture, our elections and their outcomes.

One of *Germany's* largest newspapers, *Sueddeutsche Zietung*, had unflattering words for the winner; it also queried the legitimacy of a mandate that was spurned by 90 per cent of the voting population.

*Aljazeera* ran a special report on how the election was disrupted in Lagos last Saturday. The headline is: _'How violence robs Nigerians of their votes.'_

*The Washington Post* quoted Matthew Page, associate fellow with Chatham House’s Africa Program, as accusing INEC of making both deliberate and unintentional mistakes: *_“They raised the hopes about the election and its transparency, and then they dashed them. When the opposition says the process was broken, it’s hard to argue with them.”_*

*Other Newspaper Headlines from around the world*

*Austria:*
_A drug baron wins the presidential election in Africa’s biggest economy._

*Poland:*
_Nigeria chooses a known drug lord as LEADER._

*Canada:*
_"Depression, anxiety, uncertainty be-clouds Nigeria’s political space a drug-kingpin wins the election."_

This is stinking!

2 Likes

Re: This Is How The Global Press Described The Nigerian Elections by AustineE1: 11:57am On Mar 24, 2023
Indeed for sane minded NIGERIANs,this is a big shame!

3 Likes

Re: This Is How The Global Press Described The Nigerian Elections by jumper524(m): 12:10pm On Mar 24, 2023
See why some elders kick against democracy, it'll start as freedom for all until some people take it to the extreme.
The poster just posted Broad day lies.

1 Like

Re: This Is How The Global Press Described The Nigerian Elections by Nobody: 12:35pm On Mar 24, 2023
NBC will fine them for hateful comments.

2 Likes

Re: This Is How The Global Press Described The Nigerian Elections by optionalY09: 12:42pm On Mar 24, 2023
Ok that said, what are you going to do about it or what can you do about it?

I don’t need your nagging and complains, take fvcking holistic actions. The world careless about slaves, fix your sh!t

In my opinion let’s revolt for a brand new constitution , to me that will bring about a definite solution.

2 Likes

Re: This Is How The Global Press Described The Nigerian Elections by aariwa(m): 1:06pm On Mar 24, 2023
For sane Nigerians look all over the country, did you see any celebration

1 Like

Re: This Is How The Global Press Described The Nigerian Elections by Isobug: 1:17pm On Mar 24, 2023
jumper524:
See why some elders kick against democracy, it'll start as freedom for all until some people take it to the extreme.
The poster just posted Broad day lies.
What lies? Post a counter script or the exact things they said let's compare. For now the ones I have read myself tally with the poster's post, I mean that of Austria, Poland and Financial times. (He didn't even include the Ones from Bloomberg and BBC, They said worst). I don't know of the other ones I have not read.
You can do justice to post your own as a counter
Re: This Is How The Global Press Described The Nigerian Elections by Pleasant01: 1:19pm On Mar 24, 2023
I'm a Nigerian and I know what's best for me smiley ...abi no be them elect sleepy Joe?
Re: This Is How The Global Press Described The Nigerian Elections by Nobody: 1:27pm On Mar 24, 2023
Isobug:

What lies? Post a counter script or the exact things they said let's compare. For now the ones I have read myself tally with the poster's post, I mean that of Austria, Poland and Financial times. (He didn't even include the Ones from Bloomberg and BBC, They said worst). I don't know of the other ones I have not read.
You can do justice to post your own as a counter

Don't dignify that idiot with a response

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Igbos And The Do Not Rush For Referendum Attitude / Nnamani Blasts Peter Obi For Weaponising Religion, Ethnicity / Asake To Face Efcc: Return The 700million Naira Or Face Efcc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.