Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,277 members, 7,815,469 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:51 PM

All Chatgpt Does Is Copy And Paste People's Code From Github - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / All Chatgpt Does Is Copy And Paste People's Code From Github (1460 Views)

How To Delete a repository from github / Larry Tesler Dies! Man Who Invented Copy And Paste Is Dead. / How To Programme Instagram Bot Downloaded From Github (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

All Chatgpt Does Is Copy And Paste People's Code From Github by Devdevdev(f): 5:53am On Mar 28, 2023
ChatGPT is just a very fast googling interface that steals code from GitHub.

I've seen it return code -- word for word -- many times from various GitHub repositories.

Whenever you ask it to give you code that does something, it just goes to GitHub and searches for a repository with a description that matches your question.

1 Like

Re: All Chatgpt Does Is Copy And Paste People's Code From Github by BlaqFaze: 6:06am On Mar 28, 2023
It doesn't manufacture codes... it's an AI trained on information harvested mostly from the internet.

So it's not surprising to see codes from GitHub (which is even owned by Microsoft)...it doesn't "steal" codes.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Chatgpt Does Is Copy And Paste People's Code From Github by Nobody: 7:27am On Mar 28, 2023
Apparently they're codes from public repos. And those, the owners don't mind people using it.
There is no AI yet that can write usable clean codes from the scratch, without some form of human input. Progress is being made, but maybe we programmers actually don't want to deliver an AI that will take us all out from one of the most lucrative jobs on earth!

2 Likes

Re: All Chatgpt Does Is Copy And Paste People's Code From Github by Nobody: 3:15pm On Mar 28, 2023
Ignorance is a disease grin

1 Like

Re: All Chatgpt Does Is Copy And Paste People's Code From Github by Nobody: 3:17pm On Mar 28, 2023
BlaqFaze:
It doesn't manufacture codes... it's an AI trained on information harvested mostly from the internet.

So it's not surprising to see codes from GitHub (which is even owned by Microsoft)...it doesn't "steal" codes.

ChatGpt does manufacture code.

That's why it's an AI grin

It learns from the data you feed it to come up with new and unique output.

It doesn't copy paste stuff

If it does copy paste stuff then we'd all be using same code in no time as our dependence on AI grows.

1 Like

Re: All Chatgpt Does Is Copy And Paste People's Code From Github by truthCoder: 3:31pm On Mar 28, 2023
Devdevdev:

I've seen it return code -- word for word -- many times from various GitHub repositories.

Whenever you ask it to give you code that does something, it just goes to GitHub and searches for a repository with a description that matches your question.

Some codes are performant and kind of standard especially when little logic is involved.

Take the case of setting up an express server with nodejs. Every simplified code will look similar.

Assuming that chatGPT is ‘stealing’ codes is underwhelming at best and does not understand the machine learning ability of the AI.

Due to the ‘complexity’ or lack thereof of your inputs to chatGPT, your results can be the simplified variants or something more technical.

And oh…chatGPT is not about GitHub alone. It is a model trained on the internet up to 2021 and can discuss on many fields.

1 Like

Re: All Chatgpt Does Is Copy And Paste People's Code From Github by Sapeleboy911(m): 3:31pm On Mar 28, 2023
What were you expecting from Chatgpt? To provide code from nowhere? Google what an AI is, please.
Re: All Chatgpt Does Is Copy And Paste People's Code From Github by airsaylongcome: 4:26pm On Mar 28, 2023
One day my boss needed a quick programming solution, and threw it at ChatGPT. ChatGPT came out with a basic solution. My boss issued a query "Make it pretty". That's when my head bursted. It put it in nice tables with headers and formatted the whole thing real nice.
That's the day I created my ChatGPT account

6 Likes

Re: All Chatgpt Does Is Copy And Paste People's Code From Github by Najdorf: 12:05am On Mar 29, 2023
Googling interface?

See this thing is simple. Educate yourself or fall behind.
Re: All Chatgpt Does Is Copy And Paste People's Code From Github by stanliwise(m): 6:05am On Mar 29, 2023
Devdevdev:

You have no clue what AI is about then. Abeg rest

1 Like

Re: All Chatgpt Does Is Copy And Paste People's Code From Github by Rita5(f): 8:10am On Mar 29, 2023
Devdevdev:

It doesn't search github per say but uses all the information it has from the web to answer your question. Its why it gives you different answers sometimes for the same problem. Not only on programming but any questions at all. Sometimes its even not 100% accurate.

2 Likes

Re: All Chatgpt Does Is Copy And Paste People's Code From Github by Alphabyte1: 9:54am On Mar 29, 2023
Devdevdev:

Look at the awesome apps built with it soon you will be able to build games by prompt. I saw a funny video about text prompt to video.

It carry all data from GitHub And edit to sooth your need all the data is hosted on Azure services endpoints a query is sent to the endpoints and it rewrite the codes in compliance to complier . The HTML and CSS slow text animation make it awesome .
Re: All Chatgpt Does Is Copy And Paste People's Code From Github by DONFRANSKID(m): 1:27pm On Mar 29, 2023
I'm not gonna lie
Chat gpt is very powerful AI.
This AI debugged my code in matters of seconds
Even gave me detailed corrections.

2 Likes

Re: All Chatgpt Does Is Copy And Paste People's Code From Github by lovelybobo: 2:21pm On Mar 29, 2023
Chat GPT is very good depending on your personal knowledge on the Subject matter. It can write codes on any language. It can concatenate Excel files and perform aggregation.

The truth is that you must have a very clear understanding of what you want to do, and the kind of result you are expecting before you can really enjoy using it.
Re: All Chatgpt Does Is Copy And Paste People's Code From Github by Alphabyte1: 3:30pm On Mar 29, 2023
lovelybobo:
Chat GPT is very good depending on your personal knowledge on the Subject matter. It can write codes on any language. It can concatenate Excel files and perform aggregation.

The truth is that you must have a very clear understanding of what you want to do, and the kind of result you are expecting before you can really enjoy using it.

Prompt engineering is a course and developers buy prompts to use CHATGPT effectively .
Re: All Chatgpt Does Is Copy And Paste People's Code From Github by Nobody: 4:08pm On Mar 29, 2023
People that think chatgpt is AI don't know what is actually ai .

2 Likes

Re: All Chatgpt Does Is Copy And Paste People's Code From Github by Alphabyte1: 5:21pm On Mar 29, 2023
Failure2019:
People that think chatgpt is AI don't know what is actually ai .

wait until Boston dynamics or Elon Musk using it as it's Artificial intelligence neural network for robotics intelligence Plus classified projects.
Re: All Chatgpt Does Is Copy And Paste People's Code From Github by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 7:53pm On Mar 29, 2023
Why reinvent the wheel
Re: All Chatgpt Does Is Copy And Paste People's Code From Github by Ajibade123(m): 9:52pm On Mar 29, 2023
Devdevdev:

Chat got scrubs from anything public on the internet so if the repo is public why not??
But believe me it is very powerful all you need is the right prompt
Re: All Chatgpt Does Is Copy And Paste People's Code From Github by fnep2smooth(m): 4:27am On Mar 30, 2023
AI has reduced the insult and mini God our Naija dev love to feel whenever you seek help.
Re: All Chatgpt Does Is Copy And Paste People's Code From Github by lovelybobo: 7:58am On Mar 30, 2023
Alphabyte1:

Prompt engineering is a course and developers buy prompts to use CHATGPT effectively .

Thanks for opening my eyes to Prompt Engineering. To me, it is the game changer.
It pays to learn things the right way with the right resources.

Shalom

1 Like

Re: All Chatgpt Does Is Copy And Paste People's Code From Github by Najdorf: 11:27am On Mar 30, 2023
fnep2smooth:
AI has reduced the insult and mini God our Naija dev love to feel whenever you seek help.
Omo this thing is so true sha

I still remember the multiple paragraphs of insults @omohayek dumped on me years ago when I asked my first question on this site cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Ideas For Phone/PC Applications / Please Do A Q&A Ask Me Anything Thread / NPOWER Shoddiness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.