Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,443 members, 7,830,217 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:57 PM

Things I Have Learned From This Election. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Things I Have Learned From This Election. (422 Views)

Oshiomhole To PDP: Don’t Focus On Things I Said In The Past / Buhari, APC Can't Rig This Election - PDP / 'There Will Be War If They Rig This Election' - Uche Secondus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things I Have Learned From This Election. by Nobody: 7:28pm On Mar 28, 2023
The main thing I have learned from this election is that nothing has changed since 1979, when one FEDECO official declared that Nigerian politicans only accept that elections are free and fair if they win.

That is how for Buhari, elections were not free and fair...from 2003, 07, 11 until he won in 2015, then after all elections were free and fair.

But this is not about APC, it is about the opposition.

PDP and LP lost this election because they divided the anti APC vote. Had Obi stayed in PDP, and had Kwankwaso too done same, and had Wike followed the example of Sir Alex Ekwueme in 1999 and 2003, APC would have long since been out.

But the way LP members engage in self delusion...it is like the Trump supporters who believed the election was stolen...against all evidence to the contrary.

It is kind of sad, but LP supporters (the PDP supporters are chill..but even then)...in their misery are calling for regional government (which won't change anything...if our experience in the first republic is to go by), election rerun (not going to happen), and secession. And finally interim government.

The truth is, LP supporters are behaving EXACTLY like Buhari and his geng did in 2003, 07 and 2011. When they lost, election was unfair, and Nigeria was a bad country. Come 2015, when they won, Nigeria was the greatest country in the world.

I think we have not learned how to accept defeat as a country. Because accepting defeat means accepting our weaknesses, and that there is room for improvement. And just like Buhari did until 2014, when he woke up, LP and PDP supporters do not want to accept defeat...because it is too painful. Instead, they take refuge in rigging allegations.

No, I am not saying this election was perfect. And APC winning pisses me off, and their tribal warfare in Lagos has just confirmed what we knew all along...APC is a party of bigots for bigots by bigots.

But in this case...they won. And the Supremes are going to rule in their favor. And we are going to all cry and weep again.

So what have I learned...

An old lesson. Nigerians do not know how to accept defeat. Nigerians don't like being told they have failed. And until we all learn how to accept defeat...APC included (the tribal war they engaged in in lagos was because they could not accept defeat) we will never progress. We will never learn the valuable lessons that failure has to teach us.

You see, that is the thing. Nigerians need to learn from failures.Because as painful as failure is, it is also a very good teacher. And the way all parties have responded to failure in this election...because APC is challenging elections in places where they clearly lost....shows that Nigerians as a whole don't want to learn from failure. No, we win we always win. It is not our fault.

I don talk my own.

(Of course if LP and PDP wins in the court...I will gladly eat my words...well w ell, wash them down with some good non-alcoholic wine self).

2 Likes

Re: Things I Have Learned From This Election. by POGazette: 7:30pm On Mar 28, 2023
Yes PDP would have won but Wike, Peter Obi and Kwankwaso were fed up

They are politicians too and and equally deserve to win the presidential ticket

Plus it was time for a southerner to rule Nigeria
Re: Things I Have Learned From This Election. by Nobody: 7:35pm On Mar 28, 2023
POGazette:
Yes PDP would have won but Wike, Peter Obi and Kwankwaso were fed up

They are politicians too and and equally deserve to win the presidential ticket

Plus it was time for a southerner to rule Nigeria

Yes, but that desire for Southern president should have been backed up with a clear agenda and a clear unity in purpose...which was lacking, and which enabled Atiku to swoop in and pick the ticket for PDP. Let's face it, the South should have been ready to get PDP and APC to pick good Southern candidates from 2019. They were not, and it showed well well.

Also, even when elections do not go their way....Obi, Wike and Kwakwaso should have remained in the party. APC won because all the APC members who hated Tinubu did not abandon the party when he got their ticket.. They grit their teeth and stayed put.
Re: Things I Have Learned From This Election. by POGazette: 7:40pm On Mar 28, 2023
Kobonaire4:

Yes, but that desire for Southern president should have been backed up with a clear agenda and a clear unity in purpose...which was lacking, and which enabled Atiku to swoop in and pick the ticket for PDP. Let's face it, the South should have been ready to get PDP and APC to pick good Southern candidates from 2019. They were not, and it showed well well.

Also, even when elections do not go their way....Obi, Wike and Kwakwaso should have remained in the party. APC won because all the APC members who hated Tinubu did not abandon the party when he got their ticket.. They grit their teeth and stayed put.
If they had backed it, then Peter Obi would have won the ticket (it was south east turn)

Wike wanted to play smart, reason he called for a primaries, he was sure of winning and didn't see the impending Tambuwal betrayal
He wouldn't have allowed Peter Obi get the ticket, they were all against him

So don't blame him for leaving, Nigerians asked him to contest and only choice was in another party

Plus Atiku refusal to give up his ambition

The blame is on Atiku and Wike
Re: Things I Have Learned From This Election. by Birdbyrde440: 10:41pm On Mar 28, 2023
Kobonaire4:
The main thing I have learned from this election is that nothing has changed since 1979, when one FEDECO official declared that Nigerian politicans only accept that elections are free and fair if they win.

That is how for Buhari, elections were not free and fair...from 2003, 07, 11 until he won in 2015, then after all elections were free and fair.

But this is not about APC, it is about the opposition.

PDP and LP lost this election because they divided the anti APC vote. Had Obi stayed in PDP, and had Kwankwaso too done same, and had Wike followed the example of Sir Alex Ekwueme in 1999 and 2003, APC would have long since been out.

But the way LP members engage in self delusion...it is like the Trump supporters who believed the election was stolen...against all evidence to the contrary.

It is kind of sad, but LP supporters (the PDP supporters are chill..but even then)...in their misery are calling for regional government (which won't change anything...if our experience in the first republic is to go by), election rerun (not going to happen), and secession. And finally interim government.

The truth is, LP supporters are behaving EXACTLY like Buhari and his geng did in 2003, 07 and 2011. When they lost, election was unfair, and Nigeria was a bad country. Come 2015, when they won, Nigeria was the greatest country in the world.

I think we have not learned how to accept defeat as a country. Because accepting defeat means accepting our weaknesses, and that there is room for improvement. And just like Buhari did until 2014, when he woke up, LP and PDP supporters do not want to accept defeat...because it is too painful. Instead, they take refuge in rigging allegations.

No, I am not saying this election was perfect. And APC winning pisses me off, and their tribal warfare in Lagos has just confirmed what we knew all along...APC is a party of bigots for bigots by bigots.

But in this case...they won. And the Supremes are going to rule in their favor. And we are going to all cry and weep again.

So what have I learned...

An old lesson. Nigerians do not know how to accept defeat. Nigerians don't like being told they have failed. And until we all learn how to accept defeat...APC included (the tribal war they engaged in in lagos was because they could not accept defeat) we will never progress. We will never learn the valuable lessons that failure has to teach us.

You see, that is the thing. Nigerians need to learn from failures.Because as painful as failure is, it is also a very good teacher. And the way all parties have responded to failure in this election...because APC is challenging elections in places where they clearly lost....shows that Nigerians as a whole don't want to learn from failure. No, we win we always win. It is not our fault.

I don talk my own.

(Of course if LP and PDP wins in the court...I will gladly eat my words...well w ell, wash them down with some good non-alcoholic wine self).

Good post. You gave no room for bigotry. Nice!

1 Like

Re: Things I Have Learned From This Election. by aariwa(m): 10:48pm On Mar 28, 2023
Delusional write to but I don’t blame you because you are probably still a kid..if not common sense would have told you that if they all had joined together to get 13m votes , Mahmoud will give Tinubu 16m, same figure buhari got in 2019
Re: Things I Have Learned From This Election. by Aquila99: 11:02pm On Mar 28, 2023
aariwa:
Delusional write to but I don’t blame you because you are probably still a kid..if not common sense would have told you that if they all had joined together to get 13m votes , Mahmoud will give Tinubu 16m, same figure buhari got in 2019

That is dat accepting loss he is talking about. From d first day i saw divided house. I knew it was all over. In 2015, dia was divided house, oppositions closed ranks. If it were to b dat buhari was not in d ballot in 2019 or were united like in 2019. APC for be history.

(1) (Reply)

Abia INEC Returning Officer Oti Reveals She Was Threatened To Manipulate Results / Tinubu's All-muslim Presidency? / Police Officers Rob Assault Passengers At Gunpoint (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.