Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,807 members, 7,844,613 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 01:35 AM

Why Is It A Taboo To Allow Someone To Feed You In Nigerian Culture? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is It A Taboo To Allow Someone To Feed You In Nigerian Culture? (213 Views)

Canada To Allow International Students To Work For Over 20 Hours Per Week / WAEC: Imo Schools Charge Students N2,000 Per Subject To Allow Cheating - SR / How I Survived In School Till Date, Let Your Phone Feed You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Is It A Taboo To Allow Someone To Feed You In Nigerian Culture? by Eliza101: 8:47pm On Mar 28, 2023
Hey, I always wondered about this, because my parents are Nigerian and they always tell me not to eat outside for example (a friend's house) and my dad emphasised to feed yourself, for example, if I lived in a shared house and I was living with three roommates, then I should cook my own food and don't allow any of my roommates to give me food (feed you)...And my dad told me , if you are eating at a restaurant it's different because you used money to buy it, but if someone is consistently feeding you then that's unacceptable.

As I gotten older, I realised , If I allow someone to feed , then it makes me look like a baby or incompetent , because babies can't make money or their physically incapable and it means I'm financially lacking since food cost money. And I notice when you allow someone to feed you, they start to show off like they're superior to you just because they're giving you food, or if you were to fall into an argument they can say ' why are you saying that after all the food I've given you' so it's like they're using that to demand respect or like you owe them something, and then they may start to use food to control you, like e.g if you're hungry at 12pm they can say ' I'll feed you at my time', so now you've become their slave .

To be honest I don't like people to know what I eat or if I'm hungry I don't announce it , I just quickly buy food, I don't trust people when it comes to my food, and I don't like to depend on people when it comes to food, because I look childish. I personally believe I can eat as much as I want as long as I'm feeding myself or if the money is coming from my pocket ( or sometimes husband /close relative).

However, In my own imagination, I personally believe it's just food, and everyone should eat, but it seems as though food causes fight, why do humans behave like this, why do they have to feel so proud and behave in such a way, when it comes to feeding someone consistently...Is it because they feel like they are keeping you alive since food is life or something so they feel like they are above you....To be honest, If my parents didn't tell me this, I wouldn't mind eating at a friend's house ( but then again I should be careful, because they can poison my food..)...I think food is fun and interesting...

But what does it really mean in Nigerian culture, if anyone speaks a Nigerian language like Yoruba explain what it truly means?.
Re: Why Is It A Taboo To Allow Someone To Feed You In Nigerian Culture? by MrBrownJay1(m): 8:58pm On Mar 28, 2023
you father is just suffering from African paranoia...

(1) (Reply)

Experience A-list Entertainment With Netflix Premium / Bsc Scholarship Program / Why Studying MBBS In Georgia Is A Smart Choice For Indian Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.