Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,775 members, 7,813,566 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:06 PM

Subsidy Removal Will Make Nigeria Experience Inflation That Have Never Happened - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Subsidy Removal Will Make Nigeria Experience Inflation That Have Never Happened (1069 Views)

Subsidy Removal Will Reduce Carbon Dioxide Emissions - Shettima / Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum / Garba Shehu: People Are Reporting Killings As If It Had Never Happened Before (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: Subsidy Removal Will Make Nigeria Experience Inflation That Have Never Happened by adekolaelect(m): 4:29pm On Mar 29, 2023
Gavinleah:

Are you scared now. I'm prepared to buy fuel at N1000 per litre. I want to see who will cry pass between Yorubas and Igbos 🤣

10litres of fuel will be N10,000
only a kid can say these .

2 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal Will Make Nigeria Experience Inflation That Have Never Happened by Aldol: 4:29pm On Mar 29, 2023
gfelo:
Obi wouldn't have remove subsidy without fixing the refinery.
Obi said he would remove fuel subsidy from the first day in office
Re: Subsidy Removal Will Make Nigeria Experience Inflation That Have Never Happened by Raphael81(m): 6:20pm On Mar 19
4Play:
Inflation will be brutal if subsidy is removed but it has to be done. If 2 policy reforms Tinubu has suggested are implemented - subsidy removal and removal of multiple exchange rates - the immediate impact will be inflationary.

To curb inflation, the CBN will need to hike interest rates even further which will add to the economic difficulties.

At the same time, the incoming government is facing a fiscal crisis as debt expense takes up almost all of tax revenue. This will call for higher tax revenues and lower government spending. Again, these are immediately contractionary reducing economic growth in the short-term.

The government may choose to not implement any of its reforms instead and just drift aimlessly for the next few years. I think it's a problem that the APC government has its power base effectively in the North (the South West is an aberration in the South). There's not much stomach for deregulation amongst Northern politicians so it will be interesting to see how Tinubu navigates through this.

All I can say is I am glad I don't live in Nigeria.

Perfectly said and this is 2024

(1) (2) (Reply)

Northern Elders Say Obi Must Be Arrested And Tinubu Must Be Sworn In / Tinubu’s Camp Quiet As President-elect’s Guinean Citizenship Shows He Lied Under / Chatgpt's Interpretation Of Section 134(2)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.