Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,214 members, 7,829,347 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:46 AM

Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud (14249 Views)

Missing Hussaini Aliyu Takuma Killed By His Workers (video) / Court Jails 2 Yahoo Boys For N1.3 Billion Fraud In Benin. / Obinwanne Okeke "InvictusObi" Pleads Guilty To ₦4.2 Billion Fraud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud by chessguru(m): 8:16am On Mar 30, 2023
Akwamkpuruamu:
This judgement is an encouragement to steal, part 20%, and walk away with 80%.

This is no justice at all
stop jumping into conclusion there is another suit going on to recover the said amount stolen "ICPC lawyer, Olubunmi Ikupolati, however, urged the court to convict Hussaini with restitution of the funds stolen.

But Umar opposed, saying such would amount to double jeopardy since his client is facing a civil matter before the FCT High Court."
Re: Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud by chessguru(m): 8:17am On Mar 30, 2023
ReubenE:
The rich and powerful gets option of fine

Pay 200 million in restitution after stealing 1.1 billion. Return on investment such as this, is the reason more people are motivated to dip their fingers into the cake and even wave the hands to the awe of their admirers
there is another suit going on to recover the said amount stolen "ICPC lawyer, Olubunmi Ikupolati, however, urged the court to convict Hussaini with restitution of the funds stolen.

But Umar opposed, saying such would amount to double jeopardy since his client is facing a civil matter before the FCT High Court."
Re: Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud by chicfarmer: 8:17am On Mar 30, 2023
This is crazy
Re: Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud by mechanics(m): 8:20am On Mar 30, 2023
Good for him, that's the prize for corrupt officials.
Re: Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud by einsteine(m): 8:27am On Mar 30, 2023
DominusPrime:
A person commits fraud to the tune of 1.1bn and the total fine I’m seeing here is not even up to half of what he stole. And then he goes free if he is able to pay the fine. Lawyers in the house I’m sure there is something I’m missing here. Can someone explain the sense in this pls? I didn’t see any statement concerning restitution in the judgement given too.

Well, he is also facing a civil case on the same issue and with this conviction, he may likely lose the civil case and pay more. That's the reason given by the judge for not adding a refund of the total loot as one of the sentences.
Re: Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud by Shedrack777: 8:27am On Mar 30, 2023
Emmastan291:
Umar Hussaini was jailed for 7 years for a fraud of 1.1 Billion.. He begged the court to temper justice with mercy...lol

He will pay N100 million as compensation to the victims of the crime, Yemi Obadeyi and Cambial Limited and N50 million fine on each of the two counts.

What happens to the rest of the money?
7 years is really small
14years not 7years
Re: Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud by Levels2(f): 8:33am On Mar 30, 2023
Brendaniel:

You see part of the reason why some people are trying to make sure Peter Obi does not become President

I don't get what you wrote above please.

Some people trying to make Obi not to become president, how?

Do you mean that someone with 3rd position should be declared winner?

Or what exactly are you trying to say as I see no meaning to what you are driving out.

In case you forget or doesn't understand how president is been declared winner.

Such person must contest for an election, must win a majority valid votes.

President elect wasn't given out of Pity , sentiment, tribe affliction and the likes.

But majority of the population must voted for someone to become a president elect.

Thanks
Re: Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud by Brendaniel: 8:40am On Mar 30, 2023
Levels2:

Or what exactly are you trying to say as I see no meaning to what you are driving out.

President elect wasn't given out of Pity , sentiment, tribe affliction and the likes.

But majority of the population must voted for someone to become a president elect.

Thanks

And you believe the result that INEC published...
Re: Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud by GreyLaw(m): 8:43am On Mar 30, 2023
Gallaxy55:
I know he would find his way out before the seven years.
Let's say he even finish the seven years, what next?

He has option of fine. 50 million on each count. Two counts x 50million makes it 100 million. For a man accused of fraud of 1.1bn 100 million is nothing. So the man will walk free in latest 2 - 3 months after making payment. He also has to pay 100 million compensation to the victims.

So all he owes is 200 million.

He actually made profit. 1.1 billion minus 200 million plues an estimated 100 million in legal fees leaves him with roughly 800 million. Of course he might have less than that but he is in profit either way. Hahahaha...

1 Like

Re: Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud by Bishop7170: 8:47am On Mar 30, 2023
Nigeria.
Re: Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud by GreyLaw(m): 8:49am On Mar 30, 2023
chessguru:
The fine has nothing to do with the amount of money stolen , besides there is another suit going on to recover the said amount stolen "ICPC lawyer, Olubunmi Ikupolati, however, urged the court to convict Hussaini with restitution of the funds stolen.

Read what you wrote again, this time slowly. You have all the answers in your post yet you are arguing against it.

The ICPC prosecution lawyer prayed the court to convict him with restitution of stolen funds, which means he was sentenced and fined because of the fraud he committed. It is that simple.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud by Levels2(f): 8:51am On Mar 30, 2023
Brendaniel:

And you believe the result that INEC published...

No, not really

As I expect INEC to do a rerun in all southeast as I strongly believe that the election was wildly rigged.

Imaging Obi having 98% vote in Enugu state.

Can you see that of Anambra State , even Abia and the likes.

If obi should be Jesus Christ, he can't have such vote unless it was rigged.

Can't you see the video of how they are rigging inside a church in Anambra?

I believe if they can cancel all the election in southeast and do a rerun, certainly Obi will be a very distance 3rd as is not possible to win 98% of votes in southeast States.
Re: Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud by GreyLaw(m): 8:51am On Mar 30, 2023
Levels2:

Thanks

The point Obi supporters have is that he came first and not third. Only when the votes are examined can you determine who came what position. BVAS will not permit overvoting but swapping of votes. Their argument is that Obi's votes were swapped. And the pictorial evidence is out there.

Let the courts decide. Of they rule against Obi then he should go and sleep.
Re: Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud by samwillyco1(m): 8:56am On Mar 30, 2023
Kill all the corrupt people starting from the president down to the LGA chairmen to councilors for Nigerians to be free
Re: Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud by Levels2(f): 8:58am On Mar 30, 2023
GreyLaw:

The point Obi supporters have is that he came first and not third. Only when the votes are examined can you determine who came what position. BVAS will not permit overvoting but swapping of votes. Their argument is that Obi's votes were swapped. And the pictorial evidence is out there.

Let the courts decide. Of they rule against Obi then he should go and sleep.

If truly Obi supporters believe or ckacl he won the election, then I think they need medical evaluation of reasons and thought.

No odds feeling thou but it sounds irritating hearing such words.

Election should not be about pity , sentiment, tribe affliction but a statement of fact on who majority of the citizens voted for.
Re: Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud by Brendaniel: 9:01am On Mar 30, 2023
Levels2:

No, not really

As I expect INEC to do a rerun in all southeast as I strongly believe that the election was wildly rigged.

Imaging Obi having 98% vote in Enugu state.

Can you see that of Anambra State , even Abia and the likes.

If obi should be Jesus Christ, he can't have such vote unless it was rigged.

Can't you see the video of how they are rigging inside a church in Anambra?

I believe if they can cancel all the election in southeast and do a rerun, certainly Obi will be a very distance 3rd as is not possible to win 98% of votes in southeast States.

Yes the result in the south-east was rigged, I even pray they do a rerun there because they suppressed and manipulated votes against Peter Obi in the south east, Peter Obi was supposed to score 99.9%, I'm very sure about that...

Then they should also do rerun in every part of Nigeria, because a lot was done against Peter Obi but still he won the election clean and clear...

A rerun with free and fair conduct will only be a second confirmation...
Re: Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud by Nawteemaxie(m): 9:05am On Mar 30, 2023
Emmastan291:
Umar Hussaini was jailed for 7 years for a fraud of 1.1 Billion.. He begged the court to temper justice with mercy...lol

He will pay N100 million as compensation to the victims of the crime, Yemi Obadeyi and Cambial Limited and N50 million fine on each of the two counts.

7 years is really small

Co ask!
Re: Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud by ReubenE(m): 9:06am On Mar 30, 2023
chessguru:
there is another suit going on to recover the said amount stolen "ICPC lawyer, Olubunmi Ikupolati, however, urged the court to convict Hussaini with restitution of the funds stolen.

Thank you, but I did not miss that.

I don't think there is any where on our criminal code that absolve a criminal from paying in full because there is a suit in another court of equal jurisdiction. Striking out the case is even better than this ridiculous judgment
It is this same court and judge that accused the ICPC of not being serious with the prosecution of the case sometime around 2020, the result is what we are seeing now after they've all connived to rubbish the process. Allowing the accused to go almost without any consequence because of double jeopardy argument is nonsensical, and what is the assurance that the second suit will be different from this one.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud by PoliteActivist: 9:06am On Mar 30, 2023
Emmastan291:

7 years is really small

Gallaxy55:

donpapa:
A subtle way for the judge to retrieve the money for the victims. ✌️ Nice one judge

I find it annoying that you people and Nigerians in general don't know what option of fine means.
The man won't spend a day in jail!
Here is what the sentence means:
The man will easily pay 100m (from the 1.1B he stole) and be released.
He'd then also eventually pay 100m to whom he stole the 1.1B from!
ONLY IN NIGERIA!! Someone's punishment for stealing 1.1B is to pay 200m!
If Nigerians understood sentencing language there'd have been a riot and they'd be forced to stop these DISHONEST sentences!
Re: Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud by nathyx(m): 9:13am On Mar 30, 2023
1.1 Billion naira Fraud recieve only 7 year prison term?? Where are we really heading to in this Naija.
Re: Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud by kufreabasi86191: 9:17am On Mar 30, 2023
KK...
Re: Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud by felixray2010(m): 9:26am On Mar 30, 2023
You don't understand the statement at all
With an option of fine means it's either he pay the 100m or 7 years imprisonment.

How much is 100m to someone that stole 1.1 Billion
Gallaxy55:
Re: Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud by Octopusssy(f): 9:31am On Mar 30, 2023
Another instance of miscarriage of justice
Re: Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud by PoliteActivist: 9:40am On Mar 30, 2023
ReubenE:

Thank you, but I did not miss that.

I don't think there is any where on our criminal code that absolve a criminal from paying in full because there is a suit in another court of equal jurisdiction. Striking out the case is even better than this ridiculous judgment
It is this same court and judge that accused the ICPC of not being serious with the prosecution of the case sometime around 2020, the result is what we are seeing now after they've all connived to rubbish the process. Allowing the accused to go almost without any consequence because of double jeopardy argument is nonsensical, and what is the assurance that the second suit will be different from this one.

WELL SAID!
If most Nigerians understood this there'd have been an outcry and they'd be forced to stop these dishonest sentences that are based on bribery and pay-offs!

1 Like

Re: Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud by DeOTR: 9:54am On Mar 30, 2023
Emmastan291:

7 years is really small
I'm even surprised it's not 100k fine for stealing more than a billion Naira. Case against Maina comes to mind. grin
We need an upgrade to our penal codes such that you'll have to pay the amount stolen with interests, including prison sentence, or in some cases, death sentence, if it can be proven your actions has indirectly lead to demise of people.
Re: Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud by PoliteActivist: 10:06am On Mar 30, 2023
chessguru:
stop jumping into conclusion there is another suit going on to recover the said amount stolen "ICPC lawyer, Olubunmi Ikupolati, however, urged the court to convict Hussaini with restitution of the funds stolen.

einsteine:

Well, he is also facing a civil case on the same issue and with this conviction, he may likely lose the civil case and pay more. That's the reason given by the judge for not adding a refund of the total loot as one of the sentences.

You see how they easily fool the public with pure nonsense.
Have you ever seen a case in any other country where a defendant is spared jail time or appropriate punishment based on what another court may rule in the future??!!
If they keep succeeding in fooling people like you they'd be able to avoid the public outcry that'd eventually force them to stop sentences that are clearly based on bribery and pay-offs!
Re: Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud by PoliteActivist: 10:13am On Mar 30, 2023
DeOTR:

I'm even surprised it's not 100k fine for stealing more than a billion Naira. Case against Maina comes to mind. grin
We need an upgrade to our penal codes such that you'll have to pay the amount stolen with interests, including prison sentence, or in some cases, death sentence, if it can be proven your actions has indirectly lead to demise of people.

How do you think these SAN's and judges are extremely wealthy? It's from pay-offs from cases like these. Everyone gets paid off and the defendant gets a slap on the wrist.
Which is why it's only serious and sustained public outcry that can reform the totally corrupt system!
Re: Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud by fawaz050(m): 10:30am On Mar 30, 2023
Permit Sharia law in criminal cases and watch Nigeria change for the better.

1 Like

Re: Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud by chessguru(m): 10:37am On Mar 30, 2023
GreyLaw:

Read what you wrote again, this time slowly. You have all the answers in your post yet you are arguing against it.

The ICPC prosecution lawyer prayed the court to convict him with restitution of stolen funds, which means he was sentenced and fined because of the fraud he committed. It is that simple.
i maintain that The fine has nothing to do with the amount of money stolen , besides there is another suit going on to recover the said amount stolen, being an ex convict alone has destroyed the Lawyers career . The Law has taken its course already. i say this based on my professional knowledge . cheers
Re: Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud by DeOTR: 10:38am On Mar 30, 2023
PoliteActivist:

How do you think these SAN's and judges are extremely wealthy? It's from pay-offs from cases like these. Everyone gets paid off and the defendant gets a slap on the wrist.
Which is why it's only serious and sustained public outcry that can reform the totally corrupt system!
I almost ran mad when the judge gave Maina an option to pay a fine of 750k for stealing 20billion.
I mean, if he had stolen from an individual, what explanation would the Judge give the victim? He/she should just forgo the money and allow the culprit walk away by only paying 750k?
I think the only way we can have a working society is by pushing for judicial reforms, not necessarily pushing for a change of the government at the center. Nigeria can't move forward without some serious reforms, no matter who is the President.
We need a working system, not necessarily a good man as the President.

1 Like

Re: Umar Hussaini Jailed 7 Years For ₦‎1.1 Billion Fraud by chessguru(m): 10:42am On Mar 30, 2023
PoliteActivist:

You see how they easily fool the public with pure nonsense.
Have you ever seen a case in any other country where a defendant is spared jail time or appropriate punishment based on what another court may rule in the future??!!
If they keep succeeding in fooling people like you they'd be able to avoid the public outcry that'd eventually force them to stop sentences that are clearly based on bribery and pay-offs!
It happens in other climes , You do not know the subject matter in the Civil proceedings and you are so quick to condemn the Courts judgement , most things we say here is out of Ignorance . i am not fooled , i am a lawyer and also privileged to be on the lower bench so i know exactly what i am saying . you sit behind your keyboard and make allegations of bribery .

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Police Arrest Killers Of Former Katsina Commissioner, 35 Zamfara Bandits. PHOTO / DSS Re-arrests Jones Abiri, Journalist Who Spent Two Years In Detention / 72-year-old Man, Others Arrested As Police Raid Scammers’ Shrine (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.