Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,319 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:16 AM

Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened (1980 Views)

The Abagana Ambush (march 31,1968) Biafra-nigeria Civil War / Abagana Ambush: Biafra Biggest Victory In The Civil War / Soldier Killed Along With 8 Colleagues After Boko Haram Ambush In Borno. Photo (2) (3) (4)

Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened by EastAlchemist: 8:15am On Mar 31, 2023
I can’t really tell the story
I wasn’t there
But I have pictures
Enjoy

Re: Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened by EastAlchemist: 8:17am On Mar 31, 2023
;DIf you were there please tell us what happened

Re: Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened by EastAlchemist: 8:18am On Mar 31, 2023
God bless nigeria

Re: Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened by CodeTemplar: 8:18am On Mar 31, 2023
?
Re: Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened by HenryWilliams(m): 8:26am On Mar 31, 2023
Abagana was a textbook ambush by the Baifrans catching the federal troops off guard.
Almost 90% of the federal soldiers were killed in that attack that showcased the Rebel brilliance.
It shook the FG to it's knees back then..
The greet Biafran soldier. "Air Raid"
One the finest Biafran soldiers ever. Second only to Philip Effiong.

PS: I'm not Igbo but truth must be told.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened by decatalyst(m): 8:28am On Mar 31, 2023
If them remind you of how hunger almost wiped a whole tribe out, you will start crying foul.

Please let us shun all these unnecessary recourse to unpleasant history.

Let's concentrate on the present in order to build a beautiful future.

Leave the pain, cry, laughter and happy moments of the past in the past.

Now is the time to work on a better future. Not unearthing black relics of the past!

My one cent!

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened by marlow1962(m): 8:44am On Mar 31, 2023
Re: Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened by Ifckedurwife: 8:47am On Mar 31, 2023
HenryWilliams:
Abagana was a textbook ambush by the Baifrans catching the federal troops off guard.
Almost 90% of the federal soldiers were killed in that attack that showcased the Rebel brilliance.
It shook the FG to it's knees back then..
The greet Biafran soldier. "Air Raid"
One the finest Biafran soldiers ever. Second only to Philip Effiong.

PS: I'm not Igbo but truth must be told.

It was a fluke hit from a lone artillery war head that struck a fuel truck in the convoy.

Since you like bringing up the past and civil war ,hope you won't be angry when I post pics of your kwashiorkor parents?

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened by KingMack(m): 8:55am On Mar 31, 2023
Peace is the ultimate goal.. always remember to pray for this great country Nigeria..which ever religion 0r whatever you believe in

Re: Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened by Ifckedurwife: 8:58am On Mar 31, 2023
At the end,this was the outcome

Re: Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened by Ikaeniyan0: 8:59am On Mar 31, 2023
I pray and hope there will be no more Civil war in Nigeria again

Re: Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened by tommy589(m): 9:01am On Mar 31, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
I pray and hope there will be no more Civil war in Nigeria again

Amen

Re: Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened by HenryWilliams(m): 9:23am On Mar 31, 2023
Ifckedurwife:

It was a fluke hit from a lone artillery war head that struck a fuel truck in the convoy.

Since you like bringing up the past and civil war ,hope you won't be angry when I post pics of your kwashiorkor parents?

When one says he's not Igbo.. probably that part didn't enter your skull.
War isn't pleasant.. any way you see it.
You can post pictures of starving kids all you want .. it won't erase the events of Abagana
You can check my profile.. I'm rabidly anti-igbo but you can't deny the brilliance of Abagana

Re: Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened by lexylaw40: 9:38am On Mar 31, 2023
No comment

Re: Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened by Ogene001: 9:39am On Mar 31, 2023
decatalyst:
If them remind you of how hunger almost wiped a whole tribe out, you will start crying foul.

My one cent!
But huger is wiping out you all right now when there is no war. I don't know why your people celebrate playing outside the rules. Na so una start attacking voters when you started losing election, instead of hiding your head in shame, you brag about it.

Re: Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened by lexylaw40: 9:40am On Mar 31, 2023
Omo ibo

Re: Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened by Ogene001: 9:41am On Mar 31, 2023
Ifckedurwife:

So you no fit kill soildiers, na children be your target. Shame no de catch una?

Re: Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened by gidgiddy: 9:44am On Mar 31, 2023
It was a strategic ambush that turned the Asaba born Biafran Officer, Joe "Air raid" Achuzia, into a war legend. Over 90 trucks full of supplies and ammunition meant for Murtala Mohammed's second division were destroyed

After the ambush, which Murtala Mohammed narrowly escaped with his life, he was recalled from the war, ending his war career

Re: Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened by lexylaw40: 9:46am On Mar 31, 2023
Your forefathers can't even feed their own people..... Nigeria was even feeding your army. Shame

Re: Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened by Armaggedon: 9:46am On Mar 31, 2023
decatalyst:

My one cent!
who cries foul? starving children is a cowardly behavior.

Re: Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened by gidgiddy: 9:50am On Mar 31, 2023
lexylaw40:
No comment

Back then, it was not yet a crime enacted by the UN, but inow it is

To use starvation as a weapon of war, or to deprive children in a war zone sustenance for survival, such as food and medicine, is now an international war crime

So as you post these pictures of the war crimes Nigeria had to perpetrate so as to keep a useless "one Nigeria" that has never worked to this day, bear that in mind

Re: Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened by Afamed: 9:58am On Mar 31, 2023
gidgiddy:

Back then, it was not yet a crime enacted by the UN, but it now it is

To use starvation as a weapon of war, or to deprive children in a war zone sustenance for survival, such as food and medicine, is now an international war crime

So as you post these pictures of the war crimes Nigeria had to perpetrate so as to keep a useless "one Nigeria" that has never worked to this day, bear that in mind

Where do you belong?

PDP / LP should come together to win election in Imo , according to you 2 days ago,

Here, you are promoting your Biafra agenda again

Why are you so confused?

Re: Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened by Chinjo2: 10:03am On Mar 31, 2023
With the level of hatred for the igbo people is it not better to just let them go their own way?
Re: Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened by gidgiddy: 10:04am On Mar 31, 2023
Afamed:

Where do you belong?

PDP / LP should come together to win election in Imo , according to you 2 days ago,

Here, you are promoting your Biafra agenda again

Why are you so confused?

We are here talking about the civil war of over 50 years ago, this one is here talking about politics of today

Re: Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened by skj1377(m): 10:06am On Mar 31, 2023
Many of those children in the pic are multi millionaires now with houses all over the world. Some of them made money legitimately others via fast lane. One of them Peter obi is trying to be president from third position as we speak. You need to give them credit. They tried

Re: Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened by kettykin: 10:11am On Mar 31, 2023
And this was against a federal military backed by soviet union, Britain, Egypt, Arab world, Chad, niger . The whole second division of the Nigerian military was destroyed and reduced to nothing but an ash heap by a biafran troop led by Jonathan uchendu .
The only story that comes close to this was the defeat of Goliath and the Arab military by no other person than king David. So devastating was even Abagana ambush that General murtala Mohammed had to go on a self imposed exile till the war ended.
Not even Ukraine military backed by the western military has been able to replicate this feat.

If the actual military exploits by militaries since mankind began, biafran military would be recognized as the only military that fought against an alliance of world power and was still able to wipe out whole divisions of the Nigerian military

Re: Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened by Vote4Obi: 10:39am On Mar 31, 2023
EastAlchemist:
I can’t really tell the story
I wasn’t there
But I have pictures
Enjoy

Legend had it that battalions of Nigerian army were moving in a very long column, complete with lots of Russian and British tanks and ammunition. They were headed into the Biafra heartland with so much confidence. They didn't even bother to check if danger lies ahead because of their massive weapons and men.

Unknown to them, gallant Biafran soldiers with little arms in their possession where waiting in ambush. Already, they've used locally made ogbunigwe to line the road Nigerian army were passing. A brave Biafran soldier was hiding in a tall tree with the remote control of the ogbunigwe, waiting for them to cross the lines where the ogbunigwe were buried. Then he blew them up. The fuel tankers Nigerian army had in their columns were hit by the ogbunigwe and everywhere became hell. Gallant Biafran soldiers then charged at the burning conflagration to finish off the remnants.

The Abagana ambush was the single biggest disaster of the civil war. It was reminiscent of the battle of Waterloo. Thousands of Nigerian soldiers perished despite having massive tanks and ammunitions against the ragtag Biafrans.

Re: Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened by Vote4Obi: 10:48am On Mar 31, 2023
Meanwhile, earlier, battalions of Nigerian army of the amphibious brigade had tried severally to invade Onitsha via Asaba. The attacks were led by Murtala Mohammed but on each occasion, the Biafrans defeated them. Murtala Mohammed lost over 70% of his men and he narrowly escaped alive. The losses were so much and so embarrassing that he was recalled.

It was also around this time that Murtala Mohammed massacred Asaba people out of frustration.

The truth is that Biafra would have defeated Nigeria if not for the crazy support of the world powers. The then British prime minister was sending shiploads of tanks and ammunitions daily under the cover of darkness. They were scared that Biafra would defeat Nigeria if they don't get seriously involved.

Even at the end of the war, more combatants died on the Nigerian side than the Biafran side. It was air strikes and blockade that caused death of millions of Biafrans.

Re: Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened by kettykin: 10:48am On Mar 31, 2023
Ifckedurwife:

This was the only thing Nigeria could do, starvation of innocent women and children, there was nothing the Soviet union, Britain, Egypt, Cameroon, Chad, Niger backed Nigerian military could do in the battlefield

Re: Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened by Vote4Obi: 11:01am On Mar 31, 2023
lexylaw40:
No comment

Do you know how irresponsible and cowardly it is to be showing starving kids? This should rather be a shame and not something to gloat with. That's why Whites will always be above you guys because they love humanity unlike you barbarians.

The Nigerian vs Biafran war can be compared to Russia and Ukraine respectively. No, scratch it, it's way worse for the Biafrans. Yet they were brave and fought gallantly only for Nigerian army to start targeting civilians. Bombing their markets, churches, hospitals, schools and virtually anywhere the Egyptian pilots saw crowds. If it were today, many of those on the Nigerian side would have ended up at the Hague.

Blockading Biafra wasn't bad enough for them. SMH.

Re: Today In History Abagana Ambush Happened by Ogene001: 11:04am On Mar 31, 2023
lexylaw40:
Your forefathers can't even feed their own people..... Nigeria was even feeding your army. Shame
You are getting it wrong, Nigeria was not feeding them. Nigeria was allowing food transportation which was standard practice, but out of frustrations because they couldn't win, they stop allowing movement of food supply. All food supply was either purchased with Biafra money or donated by allies and charity organizations

Dangote Oil Refinery,Ibeju- Lekki To Be Commissioned May 22nd / BREAKING: Tinubu Breaks Silence On Chicago University Certificate Controversy / HQ Of Fake Wine Drugs Beverage Sealed Off In Aba