Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,976 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:27 AM

How To Answer The Dreaded Question "Tell Me About Yourself" In An Interview: - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Answer The Dreaded Question "Tell Me About Yourself" In An Interview: (237 Views)

How To Answer The Interview Question "What Is Your Greatest Weakness / Words To Avoid Using During An Interview / Any Review On Cflead. Got Msg From Them For An Interview On Monday. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Answer The Dreaded Question "Tell Me About Yourself" In An Interview: by iammolise(m): 11:24am On Apr 01, 2023
I won't lie it is a "copy and paste" but I find this handy and decided to share on here:

TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF.

You know what they say about first impressions? You cannot afford to blow it at the very beginning.

Note that it is possible to be considered for a position in the first 5 minutes of the #interview if you play your cards right by answering the simple yet dreaded question “Tell me about yourself/let us get to meet you/briefly introduce yourself”

There are two main reasons why a recruiter asks the question “TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF”

1. To know if they can work with you (behavioral and #culture fit)
2. To assess if you have the necessary KSA for the position (#competency fit)

Your answer to this has the potential to set the course for the rest of the interview

Here’s a sample approach to answering this ⬇️

Step 1️⃣. Start with your Name + status ( I am xxxx a certified professional in xxxxxx with over 3 years of working experience across xxxx sectors)

Step 2️⃣. Next, express Your passion/motivation (e.g I am passionate about xxxx)

Step 3️⃣. Brief run down on Experience/Academics (My passion has guided my career path with a first degree in xxxx and a master's in xxxxx. I have also held several positions including xxxxxxxx)

Step 4️⃣. Achievements (through my career, I have been able to support organizations in xxxxxx, and some of my achievements include xxxxxx)

Step 5️⃣ Hard/soft skills/personality type (I have developed my skills in xxxxx and I am effective at xxxx. I am the Bleep type of person)

Step 6️⃣ proposal (I am confident that if I am considered for this position you’d be impressed by my xxxxx or I will effectively support the dept/org in improving xxxxx process)

Step 7️⃣ Thank you

Why is this strategy effective?

1️⃣ The interview becomes more interactive because the interviewer can now probe from your response rather than focus on the preplanned questions. This puts you in charge
2️⃣ The recruiter will have something to relate from - from your person, motivation, passion, experience, and goals. There would be a connection with the recruiter
3️⃣ If done well you would have already scored high and impressed the audience which may cover up for your other downsides.

However, Make sure to 👇

1. Keep your answer between 2-4 mins MAX
2. Take deep breaths and maintain pauses after power points
3. Watch body language to know when you are losing the audience
4. Do not cram a response, let the recruiter meet the real you.
5. Practice, Practice, Practice. Record yourself, listen, and make adjustments.

I hope this helps. You can comment your sample answers. I will review it and let you know what I think.

I wish you success in your coming interviews.

1 Like

Re: How To Answer The Dreaded Question "Tell Me About Yourself" In An Interview: by drake2(m): 1:23pm On Apr 01, 2023
GREAT!

(1) (Reply)

Dear Fellow Youth / Please Where Can I Learn Truck Driving / 7 Things To Remove From Your CV If You Want To Get Hired

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.