Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:40 AM

How Much Is Enough For Family Of Two Every Month - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Much Is Enough For Family Of Two Every Month (986 Views)

Exclusive Duvet Set At Affordable Price For Family Use / 18karat Pure Solid Gold For Family / Checkout This Viral Family of 6 Photoshoot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Is Enough For Family Of Two Every Month by OnyeAmuma: 6:00pm On Apr 02, 2023
I got married few months ago, but before I got married, I was spending less than 30k for myself on food alone every month. As I got married, I decided I will be giving my wife money every month for food alone, I started by giving her 50k monthly but extended it to 70k cause of inflation but it seem the 70k is not even enough, it's only two weeks from the last time I gave her 70k but she just informed me this morning on our way back from church that the money has finished. I don't know if the money is actually too small for two people every month or if my wife is not prudent with money. I buy rice, garri, gas, drinking water and drinks myself and the 70k is meant for other food stuffs. I know things might be a bit expensive currently than few months ago but nevertheless, I feel 70k would be enough for two people.

So my question to nairalanders who are married, how much do you think is enough every month for food, for two people, excluding garri, rice, gas, drinking water and drinks?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Much Is Enough For Family Of Two Every Month by jagaban002(m): 6:06pm On Apr 02, 2023
Depends on your location .
Re: How Much Is Enough For Family Of Two Every Month by OnyeAmuma: 6:11pm On Apr 02, 2023
jagaban002:
Depends on your location .

Location is lagos

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Enough For Family Of Two Every Month by TheMensch(m): 6:14pm On Apr 02, 2023
Is your wife not working?

OnyeAmuma:

Currently she is not.. but I'm planning to set up a business for her

Instead of staying to calculate every Kobo you give her monthly, don't you think it would be better if you speed up the process of setting up the business you intend for her?
Even if you give her 700k a month, don't be surprised if she asks for more in three weeks. Women will always be women.
Let her have something doing and you won't have any need to make these calculations again.
Re: How Much Is Enough For Family Of Two Every Month by silvoclaira: 6:15pm On Apr 02, 2023
cc Godsownfc

Like I said earlier, don't have and watch your marriage crumble in front of your very own eyes
Re: How Much Is Enough For Family Of Two Every Month by OnyeAmuma: 6:17pm On Apr 02, 2023
TheMensch:

Currently she is not.. but I'm planning to set up a business for her
Re: How Much Is Enough For Family Of Two Every Month by Godsownfc(m): 6:21pm On Apr 02, 2023
silvoclaira:
cc Godsownfc

Like I said earlier, don't have and watch your marriage crumble in front of your very own eyes

So are u now saying a guy ripped for marriage but insolvent should not go into marriage?
Re: How Much Is Enough For Family Of Two Every Month by jagaban002(m): 6:21pm On Apr 02, 2023
OnyeAmuma:

Location is lagos

100k is okay with this present economy I spend more but I have 2kids

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Enough For Family Of Two Every Month by Kobojunkie: 6:23pm On Apr 02, 2023
OnyeAmuma:
I got married few months ago, but before I got married, I was spending less than 30k for myself on food alone every month. As I got married, I decided I will be giving my wife money every month for food alone, I started by giving her 50k monthly but extended it to 70k cause of inflation but it seem the 70k is not even enough, it's only two weeks from the last time I gave her 70k but she just informed me this morning on our way back from church that the money has finished. I don't know if the money is actually too small for two people every month or if my wife is not prudent with money. I buy rice, garri, gas, drinking water and drinks myself and the 70k is meant for other food stuffs. I know things might be a bit expensive currently than few months ago but nevertheless, I feel 70k would be enough for two people. So my question to nairalanders who are married, how much do you think is enough every month for food, for two people, excluding garri, rice, gas, drinking water and drinks?
1. So you were spending less than 30K in yourself on food alone every month means your wife would automagically need only the exact same amount of food to sustain her person say you used to, and she would also have no other needs outside of food? Who keeps churning this kind of folks out into the world abeg! undecided

2 Likes

Re: How Much Is Enough For Family Of Two Every Month by silvoclaira: 6:25pm On Apr 02, 2023
Godsownfc:

So are u now saying a guy ripped for marriage but insolvent should not go into marriage?

No
Re: How Much Is Enough For Family Of Two Every Month by Godsownfc(m): 6:29pm On Apr 02, 2023
silvoclaira:

No

May God bless us all sire!
Re: How Much Is Enough For Family Of Two Every Month by duduade: 6:44pm On Apr 02, 2023
Is groceries inclusive All these perishables… like pepper, tomatoes and the rest … how often does she buy it..

Do you like to eat freshly cooked meals almost every other day? Or she cooks and store in the freezer??

Anyway both of you need to sit down and talk about it

Draw up a good time table for a month and see how far the money takes you both

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Enough For Family Of Two Every Month by Samfloxin(m): 6:54pm On Apr 02, 2023
She is using your money to do other irrelevant things

4 Likes

Re: How Much Is Enough For Family Of Two Every Month by yomi007k(m): 6:55pm On Apr 02, 2023
The only way to answer your question is to be keeping a budget especially "expenditures".

When u know how much u spent in april, then u can have an idea of what to expect in may.

I have been doing this for years and it helps me plan.
Re: How Much Is Enough For Family Of Two Every Month by OnyeAmuma: 7:04pm On Apr 02, 2023
TheMensch:

Instead of staying to calculate every Kobo you give her monthly, don't you think it would be better if you speed up the process of setting up the business you intend for her?
Even if you give her 700k a month, don't be surprised if she asks for more in three weeks. Women will always be women.
Let her have something doing and you won't have any need to make these calculations again.

The plan is already in the pipeline.. but I don't see it solving the problem if the problem is overzealous spending
Re: How Much Is Enough For Family Of Two Every Month by OnyeAmuma: 7:05pm On Apr 02, 2023
jagaban002:

100k is okay with this present economy I spend more but I have 2kids

Okay.. thanks
Re: How Much Is Enough For Family Of Two Every Month by OnyeAmuma: 7:08pm On Apr 02, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. So you were spending less than 30K in yourself on food alone every month means your wife would automagically need only the exact same amount of food to sustain her person say you used to, and she would also have no other needs outside of food? Who keeps churning this kind of folks out into the world abeg! undecided

The 70k budget is for food alone.. I give her money for other personal needs, we also have budgets for other things in the house.
Re: How Much Is Enough For Family Of Two Every Month by OnyeAmuma: 7:10pm On Apr 02, 2023
duduade:
Is groceries inclusive All these perishables… like pepper, tomatoes and the rest … how often does she buy it..

Do you like to eat freshly cooked meals almost every other day? Or she cooks and store in the freezer??

Anyway both of you need to sit down and talk about it

Draw up a good time table for a month and see how far the money takes you both

Yes fresh pepper and tomatoes are inclusive but she buys them in large quantity, blend them and store in the freezer, also she cooks maybe twice in a week and store in the freezer.

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Enough For Family Of Two Every Month by OnyeAmuma: 7:12pm On Apr 02, 2023
yomi007k:
The only way to answer your question is to be keeping a budget especially "expenditures".

When u know how much u spent in april, then u can have an idea of what to expect in may.

I have been doing this for years and it helps me plan.

I did when I was single, I downloaded expenditure app, that was how I found out how much I spent for feeding.
Re: How Much Is Enough For Family Of Two Every Month by OnyeAmuma: 7:23pm On Apr 02, 2023
Samfloxin:
She is using your money to do other irrelevant things

Oh wow!
Re: How Much Is Enough For Family Of Two Every Month by Kobojunkie: 8:59pm On Apr 02, 2023
OnyeAmuma:
The 70k budget is for food alone.. I give her money for other personal needs, we also have budgets for other things in the house.
Ok Ooo! undecided
Re: How Much Is Enough For Family Of Two Every Month by sisisioge: 9:30pm On Apr 02, 2023
Hmmmm....you buy rice, garri, water and give her money for other personal stuffs yet 70k doesn't carry you two for 2 weeks for other food items. It is well....the country has really gone to the dogs.

If I were you, I would sit with madam and let her know how far I could be stretched in terms of financing the house and decide on how much we will actually spend for food. This is because even if you increase it to 200k,if madam isn't working with a budget, it will finish in 2 weeks still. So better agree on a budget together and stick with it. If it finishes, it finishes na niyen. Families with only one income earner need to learn to jointly work on their monthly budget otherwise, one of the parties will find a way to be fall off the radar. The result is usually contempt. Good luck fa.
Re: How Much Is Enough For Family Of Two Every Month by NoToPile: 9:55pm On Apr 02, 2023
This chop money matter ehn.
Re: How Much Is Enough For Family Of Two Every Month by OnyeAmuma: 10:11pm On Apr 02, 2023
sisisioge:
Hmmmm....you buy rice, garri, water and give her money for other personal stuffs yet 70k doesn't carry you two for 2 weeks for other food items. It is well....the country has really gone to the dogs.

If I were you, I would sit with madam and let her know how far I could be stretched in terms of financing the house and decide on how much we will actually spend for food. This is because even if you increase it to 200k,if madam isn't working with a budget, it will finish in 2 weeks still. So better agree on a budget together and stick with it. If it finishes, it finishes na niyen. Families with only one income earner need to learn to jointly work on their monthly budget otherwise, one of the parties will find a way to be fall off the radar. The result is usually contempt. Good luck fa.

Thank you.. honestly I had this conversation with her before I increased the money to 70k. Maybe we are eating too much cause from her explanation, she was able to give account of how the money was spent and I think she spent it religiously.

Going forward, maybe we should cut down on the quantity and number of times we eat daily.

We have been eating atleast 3 times daily on heavy meals and I have started growing pot belly as a result of that.

What do you think?
Re: How Much Is Enough For Family Of Two Every Month by NoToPile: 10:37pm On Apr 02, 2023
OnyeAmuma:

Thank you.. honestly I had this conversation with her before I increased the money to 70k. Maybe we are eating too much cause from her explanation, she was able to give account of how the money was spent and I think she spent it religiously.

Going forward, maybe we should cut down on the quantity and number of times we eat daily.

We have been eating atleast 3 times daily on heavy meals and I have started growing pot belly as a result of that.

What do you think?

Since it's all accounted for you can try your suggestion, lunch for lots of people is to snack on fruit, nuts or something with plenty water especially if you had a heavy breakfast. You guys can scrap out the full meal lunch.

Lots of families hardly have full meal lunch either because they are not at home that period or other reasons, it's mostly breakfast and dinner for a lot of families.

Whatever meal portion that will be eaten during the full lunch will be saved.

If it's swallow, you are saving the swallow /soup and especially the proteins for another time.

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Enough For Family Of Two Every Month by sisisioge: 11:45pm On Apr 02, 2023
OnyeAmuma:

What do you think?

Sounds good. Also look into buying in bulk, cutting down on meat, substituting with eggs, cooking soups in bulk and storing in freezers. It is well....may God bless your family.

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Enough For Family Of Two Every Month by Dafe20(m): 11:50pm On Apr 02, 2023
sisisioge:

Sounds good. Also look into buying in bulk, cutting down on meat, substituting with eggs, cooking soups in bulk and storing in freezers. It is well....may God bless your family.

One the most effective family management way in this economy.

Thank you ma!

(1) (Reply)

House Items In Good Condition For Sale at highly discounted Prices / The Talent Of Your Child / Very Important, How To Have A Good Home!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.