Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,793 members, 7,817,291 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:41 AM

Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians (8624 Views)

Iranians Storm Nigerian Embassy In Tehran To Protest Army Attack On Shiites / Prof. Alexia Thomas To Buhari: Shut Down Nigerian Embassy In Uk Within 48hrs / Eligibility Suit; Buhari Lawyers Complicates Case, Refuse To Tender Evidences. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by newgroom: 9:30am On Sep 20, 2011
'igbos Are Illiterates, Touts And Criminals'

Nigerians, particularly indigenes from the South East of the country are up in arms against the country’s mission house in Thailand over what they claim as extreme insensitivity and exploitation by Ambassador Sulaiman, head of the Nigerian Embassy in the Asian country.

Ambassador Suleiman has been accused of ethnic prejudice following his comments about Igbos. Obika said: “He calls us uneducated, touts and criminals.”

Even more, the embassy refuses to identify dead Nigerians. This, according to many, has led to the Thai authority cremating Nigerians whose tradition forbids such funeral rite.

http://www.channel801.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=447

Do you think this is one of the unnecessary shout of discrimination that's becoming the order of day in Nigeria
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by Kizilala: 9:50am On Sep 20, 2011
An Hausa man calling Igbos touts,illiterates and criminals?I laugh in Igbo.
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by nolongTing: 10:31am On Sep 20, 2011
According to Obika, [size=15pt]the embassy charges Nigerians 25,000 US$830 to issue travelling certificate[/size], TC, for any Nigerian whose passport is lost or who has no passport but wants to go home; the embassy charges US$80 to issue any manner of letter of identification or certification for any Nigerian in Thailand for any purpose.

“The Nigerian embassy also shows lack of concern when Nigerians die. [size=15pt]When hospitals and police call on the embassy to identify the corpse as Nigerians they never turn up. This has resulted in Thai authorities burning Nigerian corpses without the permission of the relatives. This is against the tradition of Igbo people,”[/size] explained Obika.

I think they need to get the hell out of Thailand, it sounds like a terrible place for Nigerians.  undecided undecided
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by tpia5: 10:40am On Sep 20, 2011
Some nlers say they need to go there for massages and maybe some other drug related stuff.

Isnt thailand one of the countries that has the death penalty for drug pushers?

Just curious.
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by otokx(m): 11:19am On Sep 20, 2011
What are Nigerians doing in Thailand?
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by Kx: 11:22am On Sep 20, 2011
otokx:

"Business"
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by member67023: 11:35am On Sep 20, 2011
otokx:

The same thing they are doing in Libya
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by mallorca(m): 11:39am On Sep 20, 2011
nakedwire:

exactly
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by nagoma(m): 11:52am On Sep 20, 2011
Definitely a significant percentage of Nigerians in Thailand are criminals , mainly in the drugs trade. A substantial proportion of them are as a point of fact in Thai prisons. I wonder if the ambassador said some Nigerians living in Thailand are criminals and touts or he specifically said Igbos.. Please let's know the truth before we go into the ritual of tribal jingo and the trading of insults and escalating mutual hatred which is the pastime Nairalanders enjoy immensely. The devil is in the details.
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by nagoma(m): 12:02pm On Sep 20, 2011
"
The most painful part of this all is that it was the majority of all the Nigerians in Thailand that protested against these bad things on that fateful day 23 August 2011, But the Ambassador Mr Suleman who called the Igbos touts and the Counsellor Mr.Abayomi O. Bamgbelu in the embassy who said the Igbos are illiterates and are constituting nuisance in Thailand. This ambassador and the counsellor turned around to single out only the Igbos who participated in the peaceful protest …using Thai police to arrest them, detain them, torture and imprison them."
http://nigeriamasterweb.com/blog/index.php/2011/09/19/nigerian-thai-embassy-instigate-harassment-detention-of-igbos
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by tunnytox(m): 12:13pm On Sep 20, 2011
Many of the Nigerian embassy officials are useless anywhere you find them be it Asia, Europe, Americas, Africa, etc. They care less about lives of fellow Nigerians, very rude and unprofessional so I won't be surprised if such statement is made by them. Useless idiooots!
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by r231(m): 12:22pm On Sep 20, 2011
nakedwire:

yep
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by bisiaet: 12:25pm On Sep 20, 2011
Many of the Nigerian embassy officials are useless anywhere you find them be it Asia, Europe, Americas, Africa, etc. They care less about lives of fellow Nigerians, very rude and unprofessional so I won't be surprised if such statement is made by them. Useless idiooots!

[i]Do they even care for themselves talkless of citizen? Dont you see them how they look?[/i]Please

Nigeria has no embassy anywhere all we have is "Nigerians Embargo"
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by chidyke77(m): 12:30pm On Sep 20, 2011
Am never surprised because that behaviour is never unfamiliar wt our so called foreign ambassadors.
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by Afam4eva(m): 12:34pm On Sep 20, 2011
It's only in Nigeria or it's annex that an official will make such comments and get away with it. Isn't also ironic that it's a northerner that's calling Igbos illiterate? Wonder shall never end.
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by nolongTing: 12:50pm On Sep 20, 2011
afam4eva:

It's only in Nigeria or it's annex that an official will make such comments and get away with it. Isn't also ironic that it's a northerner that's calling Igbos illiterate? Wonder shall never end.

The sad fact is that the Thais don't give a flying s.h, it what their ethnicity is they just see them as BLACK NIGERIANS lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by Asabaman(m): 12:53pm On Sep 20, 2011
Wonders indeed shall never end. See ABOKI dey call Igbos illiterate. grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by N101: 1:01pm On Sep 20, 2011
nolongTing:

The sad fact is that the Thais don't give a flying s.h, it what their ethnicity is they just see them as BLACK NIGERIANS  lipsrsealed

That's the thing Nigerians fail to get time and time again - in any foreign country, it doesn't matter what your ethnic group is, they are simply NIGERIANS.  The ambassador and counsellor won't be viewed any better than the people they refer to as touts and uneducated.
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by hbrednic: 1:05pm On Sep 20, 2011
only in nigeria can God forsaking desert people will be calling others illiterates.
1st degree malu.
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by Afam4eva(m): 1:06pm On Sep 20, 2011
If not for federal character, will this aboki even have the opportunity to utter such rubbish from his gutter mouth. He probably would have been somewhere in Jalingo pursueing nama(cattle) about.
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by nagoma(m): 1:36pm On Sep 20, 2011
The most painful part of this all is that it was the majority of all the Nigerians in Thailand that protested against these bad things on that fateful day 23 August 2011, But the Ambassador Mr Suleman who called the Igbos touts and the Counsellor Mr.Abayomi O. Bamgbelu in the embassy who said the Igbos are illiterates and are constituting nuisance in Thailand. This ambassador and the counsellor turned around to single out only the Igbos who participated in the peaceful protest …using Thai police to arrest them, detain them, torture and imprison them."
http://nigeriamasterweb.com/blog/index.php/2011/09/19/nigerian-thai-embassy-instigate-harassment-detention-of-igbos

From the above apparently uncensored source it was the Mr. Abayomi O. Bamgbelu the counsellor who mentioned the word i[b]lliterates[/b] and as a Yoruba man he is entitled to call Ibos illiterate isn't it? I know that Ibo women are not illiterate its just the men - especially the hustlers in Bangkok and other places where hard drugs are in high demand. The Ambassador said touts [/b]and there is no offence in calling a spade by its full name - [b]a spade.
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by Gayigaskia(m): 1:37pm On Sep 20, 2011
afam4eva:

If not for federal character, will this aboki even have the opportunity to utter such rubbish from his gutter mouth. He probably would have been somewhere in Jalingo pursueing nama(cattle) about.

So selling NAMA is something shamefull Then let me ask you what about your Ibo sisters who prostitute themselves in Chad, Niger, Mali,
You think many Igbos are not illiterate just because the guy talk pidgin you think he is educated, you are stupiiiiid asshhole. Federal character my foot what about the bad name that your people bring to Nigeria and Nigerians worldwide
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by mjconcept(m): 1:42pm On Sep 20, 2011
An Hausa man calling Igbos
touts,illiterates and criminals?I
laugh in Igbo
me i wonder ooo
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by Afam4eva(m): 1:44pm On Sep 20, 2011
@Gayigaskia
I never said there's anything wrong with rearing cattles. But at least if the ambassador is found in such a capacity, he will not be making such unguarded stament that portrays astronomical illiiteracy that's evident in the north. No pun intended.
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by Gayigaskia(m): 1:56pm On Sep 20, 2011
Suleiman is a Nigerian name , he could be any tribe. Even Boko Haram has some igbo convert in them so why rush to conclusions
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by mjconcept(m): 1:58pm On Sep 20, 2011
@Gayigaskia u say we bring bad name to this country what about the yorubas and other tribes u no mention them i think u should examine ur brian cos ur brain no correct.
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by dayokanu(m): 2:02pm On Sep 20, 2011
newgroom:

'igbos Are Illiterates, Touts And Criminals'

I laugh in Boko Haram
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by jason123: 2:09pm On Sep 20, 2011
See tribalism abroad! shocked Foolish people. embarassed

mjconcept:

@Gayigaskia u say we bring bad name to this country what about the yorubas and other tribes u no mention them i think u should examine your brian cos your brain no correct.

What have they got to do with this thread?
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by nagoma(m): 2:19pm On Sep 20, 2011
Quote from: afam4eva on Today at 01:06:00 PM

So selling NAMA is something shamefull Then let me ask you what about your Ibo sisters who LovePeddler themselves in Chad, Niger, Mali,
You think many Igbos are not illiterate just because the guy talk pidgin you think he is educated, you are stupiiiiid asshhole. Federal character my foot what about the bad name that your people bring to Nigeria and Nigerians worldwide

Pursuing nama is shameful but dealing in hard drugs,and pros.titution are not! Some cultures can only support bacteria. shocked
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by jason123: 2:56pm On Sep 20, 2011
Thinking about it . . . What is the point of being in the same country with such ambassadors?? Are we not meant to protect OUR interest?? Why separate a section of the country just to bad mouth them God dey oo!!!

Igbos, like every other ethnic group, have giving US a bad and GOOD image abroad.
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by showstopa: 3:00pm On Sep 20, 2011
Idio, ts on Naiaraland as usual have made this all about ethnicity. Are you all so stoopid and short sighted that you can't see the big picture.It's not about a malu calling an Okoro a tout or a (what do you guys call yoruba folks again) calling an igbo an illiterate.It's about one NIgerian's injustice to another or rather one black man's injustice to another. Shame on you all.

As per calling people illiterates, an illiterate is someone who cannot read or write. So for the fool who thinks yoruba's are less illiterate than igbos or hausas go and et ur facts right. A Masters degree doesnt make you more "unillliterate" than the hausa guy who can read and write in Hausa  grin.

Damn!!!! A  lot of people here are just bigots of one kind or the other. Na w ao
Re: Nigerian Embassy In Thailand Refuse To Identify Dead Nigerians by executinal(m): 3:29pm On Sep 20, 2011
Nawaoh, hmm see aboki calling other tribe names. Wait ooh how did he even pronounce those words? I think he put it this way, Ilikwurate, kouts and Crunimal kai igbo don sofar for Aboki people hand

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Governor Obaseki Joins PDP / Austyn Ogannah: Nigeria's Next President Must Be Business-Inclined Southerner / US Set To Collaborate With Nigeria On Gas Flaring And Ammonia Conversion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.