Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,950 members, 7,824,978 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 10:25 PM

Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles (39891 Views)

Akeredolu Allays Fears Over Soldiers’ Withdrawal From Checkpoints In Ondo / NDA: Bandits Killed 2 Officers & Abducted 2 - Defence Headquarters / Defence Headquarters Statement About The Killing Of Policemen By Soldiers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by naptu2: 11:42am On Apr 05, 2023
Esales:

But they were imported from Equitorial Guinea via Mt HR Pearl.... They were offloaded from the vessel painted in UN Peace keeping colours right from the vessel... And they look new, that's by the way.

If Nigeria is donating to the UN for the South Sudan mission, Nigeria should be sending vessels to DRC to easily access South Sudan by road because the land route to South Sudan is f*cked up all the way to Libya.

I attached a map for clearer understanding of my point

From Sudan Times.

Nigerian military to lead UNISFA force for the first time

February 2, 2022 (JUBA) – UN Secretary-General appointed a Nigerian general to lead the United Nations Interim Force for Abyei (UNISFA), for the first time since its establishment in 2011.

The international mission was established on June 27, 2011, in response to the urgent situation in the disputed border area less than two weeks ahead of the independence of South Sudan after the eruption of violence between the two sides.

“United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres (Tuesday) announced the appointment of Major General Benjamin Olufemi Sawyerr of Nigeria as Force Commander for the United Nations Interim Security Force for Abyei (UNISFA),” reads a statement by the UN spokesperson.

Sawyerr succeeds Maj Gen Kefyalew Amde Tessema of Ethiopia.

The mission until now is formed only headed and composed Ethiopian military forces as it was requested by the Sudanese government and in recognition of the role played by the late Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi.

However, following the deterioration of bilateral relations between Khartoum and Addis Ababa Khartoum requested the withdrawal of the Ethiopian force from Abyei that remains under Sudan’s sovereignty.

On January 19, 2022, the head of the Un peacekeeping department Jean Pierre Lacroix spoke with the Chairman of the Sovereign Council to inform him of the troops’ replacement process will start in February and will continue until next March.

Previously, Sawyerr served as Commandant of the Nigerian Army Armour School in Bauchi State in North-East Nigeria (2020-2021).

He held the position of Brigade Commander twice in North-East Nigeria and was Commanding Officer of the Nigerian Battalion with the United Nations Mission in Liberia (2009-2010).

He also served as the Director of Plans at the Nigerian Army Headquarters (2019-2020) and Deputy Director of Doctrine and Combat Development (2017-2018).

https://sudantribune.com/article254801/

Nigerian Major General Olufemi Sawyerr

Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by Esales(m): 11:44am On Apr 05, 2023
naptu2:

They were loaded onto the vessel. They were not shipped into Nigeria on the vessel.

Haba, I personally tracked that vessel, it came into Nigeria from Equitorial Guinea.

See attached historical AIS tracking data for that vessel...
It left Equitorial Guinea on the 28th March and arrived Warri Nigeria on the 29th March, it has left Nigeria now to Spain.

Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by naptu2: 11:46am On Apr 05, 2023
Esales:

But they were imported from Equitorial Guinea via Mt HR Pearl.... They were offloaded from the vessel painted in UN Peace keeping colours right from the vessel... And they look new, that's by the way.

If Nigeria is donating to the UN for the South Sudan mission, Nigeria should be sending vessels to DRC to easily access South Sudan by road because the land route to South Sudan is f*cked up all the way to Libya.

I attached a map for clearer understanding of my point

That's the equipment for the Nigerian troops that are taking part in this mission (members countries provide their own equipment for their troops).

Nigeria Returns To UN Peacekeeping Operations

The Nigerian Base Defence Company, deployed in the United Nations Interim Security Force for Abyei (UNISFA), has rejoined the Multinational Peacekeeping Force after years of…

By Idowu Isamotu

Thu, 16 Mar 2023 4:21:40 WAT

The Nigerian Base Defence Company, deployed in the United Nations Interim Security Force for Abyei (UNISFA), has rejoined the Multinational Peacekeeping Force after years of absence.

Acting Head of Mission and Force Commander of UNISFA, Maj.-Gen. Benjamin Sawyerr, told reporters in Abuja yesterday that the induction of the Nigerian peacekeepers completed UNISFA’s eight-contingent member troops contributing countries.

He said the Force had achieved its mandate by providing protection to civilians and had engaged the two host governments and communities in spite of initial challenges during the parade held to commemorate the one year anniversary.

He said the Force had also encouraged dialogue, supported humanitarian agencies to assist the people and provided support to the two-country teams of Juba and Khartoum to implement the Programmatic Funding Activities.

He appreciated the cooperation and collaboration of the local administration and the traditional institutions in forging peaceful dialogue that would lead to the determination of the final status of Abyei.

He commended the support of the UN for high level visits, budgetary allocations and logistics support.

He also commended the military, police and civilian components of the mission for working in synergy with the vision.

He said the mission would continue to operate under UN core values of integrity, impartiality, professionalism and respect for gender and diversity.

https://dailytrust.com/nigeria-returns-to-un-peacekeeping-operations/

Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by Esales(m): 11:46am On Apr 05, 2023
naptu2:

From Sudan Times.

https://sudantribune.com/article254801/

Nigerian Major General Olufemi Sawyerr

Are you playing with me
News from February 2022 ?
What has that got to do with the vessel that arrived Nigeria in March 2023 ? angry angry angry >

Are you trying to spread propaganda ? grin grin
Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by Uchefame(m): 11:46am On Apr 05, 2023
Nigeria government is sending troops to Congo while book haram and bandits are killing and kidnapping indigenous people.
Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by Esales(m): 11:48am On Apr 05, 2023
naptu2:

That's the equipment for the Nigerian troops that are taking part in this mission (members countries provide their own equipment for their troops).

https://dailytrust.com/nigeria-returns-to-un-peacekeeping-operations/

Why didn't the member countries send it to the South Sudan that's at their backyard? Or am I missing something here?

You can fly 300 troops with one place but can't fly 300 trucks with one plane so why send trucks backwards ?

And which route is the Nigerian military going to use to get to South Sudan that can't be accessible from Equitorial Guinea faster?
Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by naptu2: 11:50am On Apr 05, 2023
Esales:

Are you playing with me
News from February 2022 ?
What has that got to do with the vessel that arrived Nigeria in March 2023 ? angry angry angry >

Are you trying to spread propaganda ? grin grin

I am not playing with you. I am trying to take you seriously, but I'm beginning to doubt that you are serious.

Ethiopians commanded and made up the bulk of troops in a UN mission in South Sudan. The Ethiopians and South Sudanese had an issue. Nigeria is taking over the mission. A Nigerian general was appointed to head it in 2022. Nigerian troops were deployed in March 2023 and their equipment is going there with it, yet you are telling me nonsense?

OK, let's settle this

1) What were the UN vehicles in Nigeria for?

2) Are you trying to tell me that the UN is deploying a force in Nigeria with no announcement? Where is the announcement?

3) Who are the contributing countries?

4) Where is the budget?

Your response to this will let me know if you are serious.

2 Likes

Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by naptu2: 11:53am On Apr 05, 2023
Esales:

Why didn't the member countries send it to the South Sudan that's at their backyard? Or am I missing something here?

You can fly 300 troops with one place but can't fly 300 trucks with one plane so why send trucks backwards ?

And which route is the Nigerian military going to use to get to South Sudan that can't be accessible from Equitorial Guinea faster?

Now I know that you are not serious. Nigeria is sending its troops and equipment to South Sudan, but you want them to send it via Equitorial Guinea. Wonderful!

I am not taking you serious any longer and I won't read or respond to your posts. Let me know when you find your phantom UN mission in Nigeria.

Some people are very funny.

1 Like

Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by Esales(m): 11:56am On Apr 05, 2023
naptu2:

I am not playing with you. I am trying to take you seriously, but I'm beginning to doubt that you are serious.

Ethiopians commanded and made up the bulk of troops in a UN mission in South Sudan. The Ethiopians and South Sudanese had an issue. Nigeria is taking over the mission. A Nigerian general was appointed to head it in 2022. Nigerian troops were deployed in March 2023 and their equipment is going there with it, yet you are telling me nonsense?

OK, let's settle this

1) What were the UN vehicles in Nigeria for?

2) Are you trying to tell me that the UN is deploying a force in Nigeria with no announcement? Where is the announcement?

3) Who are the contributing countries?

4) Where is the budget?

Your response to this will let me know if you are serious.

Me wey be card carrying member of APC grin grin grin
No be from my mouth you go hear say fowl get teeth.

[s]I'm here to learn from the spokes person of [/s] APC Military

I'm here to get better understanding of what's going on and I want factual answers. I don't have any theories of my own and I am not insinuating anything grin grin

So over to you sir,

1. What route are the trucks likely to use to get to South Sudan
2. How come we haven't seen pictures of them leaving the Nigerian borders yet , is it due to the bad roads cry or have they suddenly realized that passing through Chad, CAR or Libya is next to impossible and after Libya is a Sea
Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by naptu2: 11:58am On Apr 05, 2023
He clearly doesn't know what it takes to create a UN mission.

The Security Council must vote to approve the mission and this is not done in secret.

The host country must approve the mission.

A budget must be approved.

Do you think all this is done in secret?

Who are the troop contributing countries??

All these are planned months in advance.
Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by Esales(m): 12:00pm On Apr 05, 2023
naptu2:

Now I know that you are not serious. Nigeria is sending its troops and equipment to South Sudan, but you want them to send it via Equitorial Guinea. Wonderful!

I am not taking you serious any longer and I won't read or respond to your posts. Let me know when you find your phantom UN mission in Nigeria.

Some people are very funny.

I beg your pardon, don't lay false allegations against me. I never said that there's a mission in Nigeria, I'm simply pointing out the loopholes in your story...

And your attempt to twist the narrative that the tracks are being shipped from Nigeria instead of into Nigeria means one of two things,
1. You're either truly ignorant
2. Or you're very good at misleading public opinions.

Long live Nigeria! Long live the good people of Nigeria! APC... next level grin grin
Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by Esales(m): 12:02pm On Apr 05, 2023
naptu2:
He clearly doesn't know what it takes to create a UN mission.

The Security Council must vote to approve the mission and this is not done in secret.

The host country must approve the mission.

A budget must be approved.

Do you think all this is done in secret?

Who are the troop contributing countries??

All these are planned months in advance.

Lwkm, I asked simple questions, you've started writing jargons... That's how somebody went to court over election, another person started shouting about interim government grin grin

1 Like

Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by Esales(m): 12:07pm On Apr 05, 2023
Naptu2 should stop mentioning me up and down and stop falsely accusing me of claiming that there's a UN Military mission in Nigeria which I never said anywhere. I dare him to disprove me.

All I did was debunk his lies sorry, his errors grin

He's not happy that he can't fool me or change the narrative.

Naptu2 is acting like a propagandist, he's creating a false narrative, pinning it on me and coming out to challenge the false narrative he created.... Justice for Esales cry cry cry
Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by greatermax77(m): 12:16pm On Apr 05, 2023
pquaver:

So warri port is working amd military is using it? And developers no gree person hear word about lagos and seaport? Omo igbo love lagos joor dem no fit ever leave.. Who go leave that place wey Tinubu do well for dem.. The chief obidient lives there talkless of his otimkpus..

You are half becked in knowledge and thus do not know anything about Governmental policies in Nigeria
Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by DaTruths: 12:31pm On Apr 05, 2023
pquaver:

So warri port is working amd military is using it? And developers no gree person hear word about lagos and seaport? Omo igbo love lagos joor dem no fit ever leave.. Who go leave that place wey Tinubu do well for dem.. The chief obidient lives there talkless of his otimkpus..

Warri Port doesn't have administrative permission to clear goods like that of Apapa.

Which school you go?
Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by Wande22(m): 12:33pm On Apr 05, 2023
kiddkash:

Come to warri port and see corruption.
Plus Onne port.

Permit me to say this. The Fulani guys at the port (customs) use bribe to kill people. They will call an egregious amount for import duties and they will never remit it into the account of the federal government. Yet they will say Muslims are not corrupt

Come to seme to badagry and see what they do. Police have about 12 checkpoint, NDLEA have about 6, Customs have about 9, Immigration has about 4 and all not far from another, and you must settle all of them. Why won't they come to one place so at least you can settle all at the same time

Checkpoints........ Iffa talk ehn

There was a time I was going for my younger brother's baby naming in Cotonou in February and we had to move via Waters..... I counted nothing less than 12 checkpoints on our end whereas, at the entry point in Benin Republic, it was only ONE BLEEPING CHECKPOINT

I was like WTF
Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by BennyDGreat: 12:41pm On Apr 05, 2023
datola:
These UN' s are small. If you see those giant tanks displayed at Maryland, Lagos last Friday you'll be proud of our military.

I wished those military vehicles were produced here in Nigeria. I tried cheking .. there was no name of manufacturer on them.

It could be PRO FORCE in Ijebu

2 Likes

Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by nairalanda1(m): 12:42pm On Apr 05, 2023
Esales:

Just because of a tiny fraction of DRC..... Which isn't even bordering South Sudan, it makes sense to cut off the whole DRC and go through Nigeria?

What route do you think they'll use from Nigeria ?

Libya, Chad, CAR are all in a mess

K.
Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by pacespot(m): 1:12pm On Apr 05, 2023
The truth is that I trust the UN troops on Nigeria soil more than the Nigeria military that are targeting specific groups of people based their tribe and age.
Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by RAND250: 1:21pm On Apr 05, 2023
LaSenior:
nothing like better thing

this shows that you don't know anything about import and export, it is more cheaper to ship through Lagos than any other seaport in Nigeria, if it will take 2k to ship to Lagos then it will take 4k to ship to other port in Nigeria so as a business man which one would you go for, there is nothing like Lagos here ok I do shipping and I know what I am talking about

And to also move the goods from Lagos

Na still money and more tax

My response was base on the some person lies surrounding the sea port in Nigeria

If I may also ask why don't those governor interval on the high cost in they state port or are they shortsighted because Lagos State is benefiting massively from her port

1 Like

Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by naptu2: 1:28pm On Apr 05, 2023

1 Share

Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by naptu2: 1:29pm On Apr 05, 2023
United Nations peacekeeping operations do not take place in a vacuum. UN member states strongly discourage the idea of peace enforcement. There is a huge difference between peacekeeping and peace enforcement.

Therefore there must have been a political process before there is a peacekeeping force. This political process must have led to peace accords. one of the main tasks of a UN peacekeeping force is to monitor the implementation of the accords. For example, the reason that there is a UN peacekeeping operation in South Sudan (and the reason that Nigerian troops are in South Sudan) is because of the 2018 South Sudan Peace Agreement (https://www.prio.org/publications/11333).

What peace agreement is there in Nigeria? Between who and who?

One of the most important principles of UN peacekeeping is that it must have the consent of the parties. This is to prevent it from having the kind of problem that Ecomog had (Ecomog only had the consent of one party when it entered Liberia). Who consented to a UN peacekeeping mission in Nigeria??

1. Consent of the parties

UN peacekeeping operations are deployed with the consent of the main parties to the conflict. This requires a commitment by the parties to a political process. Their acceptance of a peacekeeping operation provides the UN with the necessary freedom of action, both political and physical, to carry out its mandated tasks.

In the absence of such consent, a peacekeeping operation risks becoming a party to the conflict; and being drawn towards enforcement action, and away from its fundamental role of keeping the peace.

The fact that the main parties have given their consent to the deployment of a United Nations peacekeeping operation does not necessarily imply or guarantee that there will also be consent at the local level, particularly if the main parties are internally divided or have weak command and control systems. Universality of consent becomes even less probable in volatile settings, characterized by the presence of armed groups not under the control of any of the parties, or by the presence of other spoilers.[/b]

https://peacekeeping.un.org/en/principles-of-peacekeeping
Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by naptu2: 1:30pm On Apr 05, 2023
Where are the talks, consultations, meetings? These talks, consultations and meetings were between who and who?

Initial consultation

As a conflict develops, worsens, or approaches resolution, the UN is frequently involved in a number of consultations to determine the best response by the international community. These consultations would likely involve:

All relevant United Nations actors
The potential host government and the parties on the ground
Member States, including States that might contribute troops and police to a peace operation
Regional and other intergovernmental organizations
Other relevant key external partners

During this initial phase the UN Secretary-General may request a strategic assessment to identify all possible options for UN engagement.

https://peacekeeping.un.org/en/forming-new-operation
Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by naptu2: 1:30pm On Apr 05, 2023
Where are the technical assessment teams, the diplomats, the experts? Who appointed them? When and where?

Technical field assessment

As soon as security conditions permit, the Secretariat usually deploys a technical assessment mission to the country or territory where the deployment of a UN peace operation is envisaged. The assessment mission analyzes and assesses the overall security, political, military, humanitarian and human rights situation on the ground, and its implications for a possible operation. Based on the findings and recommendations of the assessment mission, the UN Secretary-General will issue a report to the Security Council. This report will present options for the establishment of a peace operation as appropriate including its size and resources. The report will also include financial implications and statement of preliminary estimated costs.

Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by naptu2: 1:31pm On Apr 05, 2023
Note that there cannot be a UN peacekeeping operation without a Security Council approval.

When did the Security Council vote to approve a peacekeeping mission? Did the vote occur in a toilet or bathroom (which is why the media did not report it)? Who voted for and who voted against it?

Security Council resolution

If the Security Council determines that deploying a UN peace operation is the most appropriate step to take, it will formally authorize this by adopting a resolution. The resolution sets out the operation’s mandate and size, and details the tasks it will be responsible for performing. The budget and resources are then subject to General Assembly approval.

Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by esiri4jesu(m): 1:48pm On Apr 05, 2023
naptu2:

https://radionigeria.gov.ng/2023/04/04/defence-headquarters-allays-fears-over-un-fighting-vehicle/
This is not adding up. Passing through Kenya would have been easier. Nigeria military are not saying the real reason behind this movement.
Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by Bfly: 2:01pm On Apr 05, 2023
People must talk
Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by tirigbosa: 2:05pm On Apr 05, 2023
fx45:
Your cartoon indirectly and subconsciously promotes suicide. You might have to edit that part out
Okay, noted. Thank you for the comment. I will make changes
Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by Elidrisy20: 3:34pm On Apr 05, 2023
Phyton dance
Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by pquaver(m): 5:37pm On Apr 05, 2023
greatermax77:

You are half becked in knowledge and thus do not know anything about Governmental policies in Nigeria

It is not only half baked. Beg for d policies warri is closer to u.. Or make the 5 southeast build 1 like lekki seaport or the 5 can do what lagos did?
Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by pquaver(m): 5:38pm On Apr 05, 2023
DaTruths:

Warri Port doesn't have administrative permission to clear goods like that of Apapa.

Which school you go?

Apply for admistative permission.. Mr professor wey ho school
Re: Defence Headquarters Allays Fears Over UN Military Vehicles by eroticecstasy: 6:07pm On Apr 05, 2023
It's an extension of operation python dance in the SE

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Are There No Nigerians In Afghanistan? / Pictures Of Boko Haram, ISWAP Terrorists Who Surrendered / What APC Used To Deceive Shehu Sani - Ben Bruce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.