Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,658 members, 7,813,216 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:48 AM

SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? (41278 Views)

Do You Think There Is A Future For Pitman's Shorthand? / Please Help... Shorthand Homework / Pidgin, Shorthand, Causes Of Mass Failure In English β€” WAEC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? by WithFact: 4:47pm On Apr 06, 2023
SeniorGee:
Wao Wao Wao !!!
Had totally forgotten about this!
Our business studies teacher that year (Mrs Nana Kiri) lol. Good old memories even though I remember nothing here..

Yes daddy
Re: SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? by PTI087: 4:49pm On Apr 06, 2023
Yes o
The date
The page
Date the page
The pay
Pay Ted
And the rest
Jss three
Re: SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? by Harrykn: 4:56pm On Apr 06, 2023
Pitman shorthand for β€œwho paid the debt?” Hahahaha, business studies that my year
Re: SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? by mechanics(m): 4:56pm On Apr 06, 2023
Hahhahah, short hand, I did o.
Re: SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? by tonicyril: 4:59pm On Apr 06, 2023
What is this used for pls
Re: SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? by tonicyril: 5:00pm On Apr 06, 2023
mechanics:
Hahhahah, short hand, I did o.
what is it used for pls
Re: SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? by finallybusy: 5:01pm On Apr 06, 2023
tonicyril:
For cracking palm kernels.

1 Like

Re: SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? by Edoziesmart(m): 5:02pm On Apr 06, 2023
Lol during my time in jss3, this subject was already obsolete (2005/2006 session) so my teacher didn't pay much attention to it. Even the typewriter is only once I used it to type. That was during my preparation for junior waec though.

We were thought how to use computer then instead of typewriter and shorthand. I remembered first time of typing with our school windows 98 in jss2, and printing it out with printer all by myself in a computer practical section. That day was one of the joyful moment in my life. I nearly laminate the A4 printout just to show my friends that I now know how to type with computer 😁.
Thanks to my Alma Matta, Juval Comprehensive School Aba for making it possible.
Re: SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? by akinade28(f): 5:02pm On Apr 06, 2023
Yes, shorthand and typewriting
Re: SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? by mechanics(m): 5:03pm On Apr 06, 2023
tonicyril:
what is it used for pls
for learning back then in junior secondary school.
Re: SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? by Edoziesmart(m): 5:03pm On Apr 06, 2023
tonicyril:
As a secretary in a business administrative then and you don't know how to use shorthand and typewriter, you are a gonner πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜‚

1 Like

Re: SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? by dontrulee: 5:04pm On Apr 06, 2023
praisecity:

See when it comes to shorthand there is someone I respect so much since when I was small, and that's my mum, and ahe is even a typist, i learn typing from her with this manual type writer, but that shorthand my head no fill carry am. that woman can use shorthand to cook food. I love her so much.........

Wow, same here.
I once saw one higher education notebook of my Mum that she used in the higher institution many years back filled with shorthand. My mum is very skilled in shorthand and good with the manual typewriter. Unfortunately, I didn't learn any from her. I don't think the skill is useful anymore Sha

2 Likes

Re: SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? by Ttipsy(f): 5:04pm On Apr 06, 2023
Short hand

Haha I did this in senior class
Re: SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? by 1Sharon(f): 5:05pm On Apr 06, 2023
I used to be so good at it. But there's no point teaching it since its obsolete
Re: SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? by ItisWell22(f): 5:06pm On Apr 06, 2023
praisecity:

See when it comes to shorthand there is someone I respect so much since when I was small, and that's my mum, and ahe is even a typist, i learn typing from her with this manual type writer, but that shorthand my head no fill carry am. that woman can use shorthand to cook food. I love her so much.........

My mum too, also a typist before switching career.

She still uses it till date… 😊
Re: SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? by Kobicove(m): 5:08pm On Apr 06, 2023
Confusing subject angry
Re: SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? by mariahAngel(f): 5:13pm On Apr 06, 2023
Jagajaga! grin

1Sharon:
I used to be so good at it. But there's no point teaching it since its obsolete

It better be obsolete.
The world is stressful enough as it is. πŸ˜©πŸ’†πŸ½β€β™€οΈ

1 Like

Re: SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? by tonicyril: 5:15pm On Apr 06, 2023
Edoziesmart:

As a secretary in a business administrative then and you don't know how to use shorthand and typewriter, you are a gonner πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜‚
but which oga at the top will read this piece of confusion
Re: SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? by Allisgud: 5:15pm On Apr 06, 2023
I only remember handwriting on 2B
Re: SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? by ukaface(f): 5:17pm On Apr 06, 2023
Shorthand kor
I hated it in school, and no we weren’t taught just an introduction as well as typewriting ( this was in jss1) and after that nothing, I’m so happy I didn’t learn it cos it’s gibberish.
Re: SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? by Olat4421: 5:21pm On Apr 06, 2023
Yeah
Re: SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? by CaptainFM1: 5:22pm On Apr 06, 2023
They just dey teach rubbish in our schools!
I still maintain, "The Nigerian Constitution" should be included as a subject for the senior secondary classes.

An average Policeman don't know the right of the citizens. The citizens themselves don't know their rights.
That's why a policeman can just slap anyone on the road because both are poorly trained!
Re: SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? by Teacherjobs: 5:24pm On Apr 06, 2023
Re: SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? by Edoziesmart(m): 5:24pm On Apr 06, 2023
tonicyril:
but which oga at the top will read this piece of confusion
No manager or whosoever will read the shorthand article.
After using shorthand to jot down the meeting, the secretary will later type it out in a plain English and submit to the respective bodies that needed to read it.

So applying for the work of a secretary then, you must know shorthand and how to type with typewriter very well.
Re: SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? by U09ce: 5:28pm On Apr 06, 2023
P, B, T, D, ;, L, K, J. That's the only thing I know in this thing grin
Re: SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? by Iceberg3: 5:28pm On Apr 06, 2023
this should keep thechameleon ivartheMENTAL thefacelessman a mental very busy.....busy in Davy lala Jones' locker grin grin grin
Re: SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? by musicwriter(m): 5:34pm On Apr 06, 2023
raphretle:
Was wondering if schools still have shorthand in their curriculum..
Also do people still use it for administrative purposes considering the fact that one could use a phone to record a conversation and then later on use it.
For those who learnt it in school, can you read shorthand notes?

Knowledge acquisition (education) is not static. It evolves with time.

Before "phone to record a conversation" this was the way to solve that problem. It solved the problem of those days.

A society acquires the knowledge it needs for it's survival from time to time. That's the whole purpose of education.

Yes, it should be scrapped now because there's no longer any serious need for it.

That's that......

But remember that it wasn't Africa that invented it. We're merely a passive participant in the world's knowledge manufactory.

What African people have failed to realize is that subjects in school aren't limited to what white people have given us, and that we can add, dispute it, disprove it or even discard it as nonsense.

Like shorthand, we can scrap everything learned from white people and tailor everything according to African language, philosophy and world view. That's when education would be useful for our development.

A situation where white people from thousands of miles away determine what's worth knowing and what's not worth knowing is slavery.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? by Goalnaldo(m): 5:52pm On Apr 06, 2023
The most useless topic in all the subject i ever did in school. I cant tell the meaning of one single sign. The only reason i attended the class was that i was too naive to miss classes.
Re: SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? by Rajosh(m): 6:00pm On Apr 06, 2023
labake1:
It is no longer in school curriculum
It is. I'm a business studies teacher.
Re: SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? by Meself: 6:02pm On Apr 06, 2023
Wow it was terrible for me. Seeing it now brought back memories in my Dip class

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

National Open University of Nigeria / University Of Abuja Lecture Hall Overcrowded, No Social Distancing, No Facemasks / Isn't This Too Much For A 4year Old.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.