Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,910 members, 7,835,046 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:15 AM

Fuel Subsidy Removal: Petrol May Cost 195 Naira Per Litre (From 65 Naira) - NLC - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Fuel Subsidy Removal: Petrol May Cost 195 Naira Per Litre (From 65 Naira) - NLC (10874 Views)

Petrol Dealers: We Can’t Sell At N87 Per Litre / Has The Cbn Policy On 65 Naira Atm Service Charge Been Reviewed?? / Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Petrol May Cost 195 Naira Per Litre (From 65 Naira) - NLC by vabrida: 8:16pm On Sep 20, 2011
jOnA iS sTaRrY eYeD aNd DrUnK,  i BeLiEvE hE iS dRuNk,  Or HyPer Hot.  grin grin grin
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Petrol May Cost 195 Naira Per Litre (From 65 Naira) - NLC by MMM2(m): 8:18pm On Sep 20, 2011
9ja
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Petrol May Cost 195 Naira Per Litre (From 65 Naira) - NLC by poweredcom(m): 9:07pm On Sep 20, 2011
God go punish GEJ and that okonjo iweala for addign a plus to our poverty, this people go kill us oo, I don tire for the nation, we are just aimles heading to no where, na we go church pas na we do bad thing pass, this nation should divide ooo, men Bleep all of dem, in power, GEJ SAMBO, MARK, GOVERNORS, LGA CHAIRMAN, and if you wanna be down with them Bleep YOU TOO[b][/b]
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Petrol May Cost 195 Naira Per Litre (From 65 Naira) - NLC by ikeyman00(m): 10:32pm On Sep 20, 2011
@@@@@@@@@@@@

[size=28pt]the fg should try to reduce corruption and spending first[/size]

let them stop fooling themselves

they dare not destroy the NIGERIa economy

they know it

VERY BAD MOVE!!!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Petrol May Cost 195 Naira Per Litre (From 65 Naira) - NLC by lastpage: 12:22am On Sep 21, 2011
Electricity Deregulation  => Costly, yet Epileptic Power, where you have it
Kerosine Deregulation => #300/Beer Bottle! grin
Gas Deregulation => #650 per Cylinder
Cement Deregulation => #2,500 per bag
Petrol Deregulation (Price hike over ten times in 10years!) => #195 per liter

Even a fool knows by now, that DEREGULATION IS JUST ABOUT MAKING MORE MONEY AVAILABLE FOR STEALING BY GOVT OFFICIALS!

It has NOTHING TO DO WIT AVAILABILITY OF THE PRODUCT/RESOURCE!

Yes, Fleece the Poor Citizens so we can have more money to steal! wink wink
Poor, docile citizens, l guess they deserve what they're getting; FOR BEING SO DOCILE!  grin grin wink
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Petrol May Cost 195 Naira Per Litre (From 65 Naira) - NLC by Nobody: 2:09am On Sep 21, 2011
lastpage:

Electricity Deregulation  => Costly, yet Epileptic Power, where you have it
Kerosine Deregulation => #300/Beer Bottle! grin
Gas Deregulation => #650 per Cylinder
Cement Deregulation => #2,500 per bag
Petrol Deregulation (Price hike over ten times in 10years!) => #195 per liter

Even a fool knows by now, that DEREGULATION IS JUST ABOUT MAKING MORE MONEY AVAILABLE FOR STEALING BY GOVT OFFICIALS!

It has NOTHING TO DO WIT AVAILABILITY OF THE PRODUCT/RESOURCE!

Yes, Fleece the Poor Citizens so we can have more money to steal! wink wink
Poor, docile citizens, l guess they deserve what they're getting; FOR BEING SO DOCILE!  grin grin wink

Right on! But the scary thing is that the earth will shake when the docile ones finally wake up!
the scariest people are those who don't have jack to loose! Nigerians are pretty much almost there!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Petrol May Cost 195 Naira Per Litre (From 65 Naira) - NLC by adconline(m): 2:48am On Sep 21, 2011
Common sense is different from PHD sense. Fix refineries and remove the subsidies
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Petrol May Cost 195 Naira Per Litre (From 65 Naira) - NLC by eunisam: 4:28am On Sep 21, 2011
Now I know they are the same people if this really happen.

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Petrol May Cost 195 Naira Per Litre (From 65 Naira) - NLC by Ilekokonit: 4:47am On Sep 21, 2011
@engineerd
Right on! But the scary thing is that the earth will shake when the docile ones finally wake up!
the scariest people are those who don't have jack to loose! Nigerians are pretty much almost there!

Will our docility ever end ?

I think not.

Seeing that the fear of death or police brutality will stop an "effectice critical mass" of crowd from rioting.

Even if we do rise up against these our wicked leaders, the protests are automatically doomed to fail as the numbers of people protesting are not enought to form a "critical mass" that is always needed for a revolution.

Sprinkle our history of divisive tribalism and you will see why a genuine protest started in Nnewi may not be fully supported and reciprocated in Ibadan or Sokoto and vice versa.

As displayed in all countries in the Arab Spring, the successful and ongoing revolutions have always resulted in protesting masses being killed by the authorities but the protesters stood their ground and carried on protesting.

I remember that during the June 12 riots, the mere sighting of armoured tanks was enough to send a lot of Nigerians back to their houses as they were afraid of dying.

Our motto in Nigeria is mainly that "once there is life there is hope" even in the face of blatant thuggery by our LOOTOcrats.

In a speech at the funeral of Bola Ige (the assasinated former Minister of Justice), the former Oyo State Governor, Omololu Olunloyo said that he once asked Bola Ige if Nigeria was worth dying for.  

According to him, Mr Ige said that he was sure that Nigeria was worth living for but he was not so sure that it was worth dying for. At the funeral, which then President Obasanjo attended, Mr Olunloyo said that with all he now knew about Nigeria, he was convinced Nigeria was not worth dying for.

Maybe the above thinking is what is at the heart of our crippling docility in the face of extreme torment from our leaders.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Petrol May Cost 195 Naira Per Litre (From 65 Naira) - NLC by Vavavoom(m): 9:05am On Sep 21, 2011
Imeobong:

The pple in Govt I know will regret this one day, cause Just like Libya, Tunisia and the rest, Nigerians will wake up one day and say enough is enough

That day is closer than we all think- the threshold of rebounding against an immovable wall is here.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Petrol May Cost 195 Naira Per Litre (From 65 Naira) - NLC by ariblaze(m): 9:37am On Sep 21, 2011
nigeria

i-cry

i -weep

i-vex
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Petrol May Cost 195 Naira Per Litre (From 65 Naira) - NLC by juman(m): 9:58am On Sep 21, 2011
^^^
I feel you. But Fuel Subsidy Removal is the way.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Petrol May Cost 195 Naira Per Litre (From 65 Naira) - NLC by lastpage: 1:53pm On Sep 21, 2011
The most shamefully-wicked part of the whole story is THE SAME LIE that our leaders RECYCLE to us EVERYTIME they need more money to STEAL: Increasing the Price would bring BETTER SERVICE!

I heard it under Obasanjo, as a Military Head of State!
I heard it under Ibrahim Babangida, for eight years!
I heard it under Obasanjo, "seven times in eight years" as a Civilian President!
I heard it again under[b] Yar Ardua[/b], though briefly in Power!
Now, l an hearing it again under "badluck" Goodluck Jonathan!

Yes, l have heard It ALL!
As the price of fuel was increased from 15K/Liter, => 23K/Liter => 78K/Liter => 1.25K/Liter => => =. #65/Liter!

In each case, its always the same excuse (are they not even smart enough to think of something different?): For Better service/availability!

But did they build more refineries to cater for AVAILABILITY? No!
Did they invest the increase in building Petro-Chemical Plants (Like Iran)? Again, No!
Did they build new Power stations over the years, Again, No!

Did they use the "increase" to enrich themselves and steal bigger sums of money? You bet, YES! wink

And did we (including myself) do anything? You bet, NO! shocked sad

Truly, as we lay our beds, so we are lying on it! wink lipsrsealed
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Petrol May Cost 195 Naira Per Litre (From 65 Naira) - NLC by Fokativ: 2:12pm On Sep 21, 2011
Remove the subsidy and let us rest abeg. Na dis kind thing GEJ dey get power, see Boko Haram e no go talk.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Petrol May Cost 195 Naira Per Litre (From 65 Naira) - NLC by hardbody: 3:19pm On Sep 21, 2011
All talk and no action by the populace. The pattern is very simple and consistent. First of all there will be scarcity, and rather than people sit at home, they will come out and trek, others will lay siege atthe filling stations and buy fuel at say N200/litre. After a while, the fuel price will officially be pegged at N170/litre. the next thing, people will shout Halleluya, noting that at least the price has 'come down' and at any rate, it is now 'affordable'. Meanwhile some fatcats will be smiling to the treasury and stashing our money away.

As for me ooo, no regrets. If they want, the fuel can sell for N500/litre. My promise, i will continue to drive, however, whenever our people are ready and willing to come out of their docility to challenge the status quo brutally and violently, i will be there to lend my support, until it happens, we deserve all that we are getting.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Petrol May Cost 195 Naira Per Litre (From 65 Naira) - NLC by pinkrex(m): 4:30pm On Sep 21, 2011
hardbody:

All talk and no action by the populace. The pattern is very simple and consistent. First of all there will be scarcity, and rather than people sit at home, they will come out and trek, others will lay siege atthe filling stations and buy fuel at say N200/litre. After a while, the fuel price will officially be pegged at N170/litre. the next thing, people will shout Halleluya, noting that at least the price has 'come down' and at any rate, it is now 'affordable'. Meanwhile some fatcats will be smiling to the treasury and stashing our money away.

As for me ooo, no regrets. If they want, the fuel can sell for N500/litre. My promise, i will continue to drive, however, whenever our people are ready and willing to come out of their docility to challenge the status quo brutally and violently, i will be there to lend my support, until it happens, we deserve all that we are getting.

I couldn't agree less. We love life too much. Nobody is ready to make trouble for a better tomorrow. Our docility is fused with fundamental rights irresponsibility undecided undecided undecided undecided

I'm ready when we are ready! I shall drop my blood to ease the tears in my heart!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Petrol May Cost 195 Naira Per Litre (From 65 Naira) - NLC by elegal1(f): 11:01pm On Sep 21, 2011
1st Kings:Chapter 12
The Israelites, assembled at Shechem to crown Rehoboam, ask him to relax their burden
1 And Rehoboam went to Shechem: for all Israel were come to Shechem to make him king. 2 And it came to pass, when Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who was yet in Egypt, heard of it, (for he was fled from the presence of king Solomon, and Jeroboam dwelt in Egyptwink 3 That they sent and called him. And Jeroboam and all the congregation of Israel came, and spake unto Rehoboam, saying, 4 Thy father made our yoke grievous: now therefore make thou the grievous service of thy father, and his heavy yoke which he put upon us, lighter, and we will serve thee. [/b]5 And he said unto them, Depart yet for three days, then come again to me. And the people departed. 6 And king Rehoboam consulted with the old men, that stood before Solomon his father while he yet lived, and said, How do ye advise that I may answer this people? 7 And they spake unto him, saying, If thou wilt be a servant unto this people this day, and wilt serve them, and answer them, and speak good words to them, then they will be thy servants for ever. [b]8 But he forsook the counsel of the old men, which they had given him, and consulted with the young men that were grown up with him, and which stood before him: 9 And he said unto them, What counsel give ye that we may answer this people, who have spoken to me, saying, Make the yoke which thy father did put upon us lighter? 10 And the young men that were grown up with him spake unto him, saying, Thus shalt thou speak unto this people that spake unto thee, saying, Thy father made our yoke heavy, but make thou it lighter unto us; thus shalt thou say unto them, My little finger shall be thicker than my father's loins. 11 And now whereas my father did lade you with a heavy yoke, I will add to your yoke: my father hath chastised you with whips, but I will chastise you with scorpions. 12 So Jeroboam and all the people came to Rehoboam the third day, as the king had appointed, saying, Come to me again the third day. 13 And the king answered the people roughly, and forsook the old men's counsel that they gave him; 14 And spake to them after the counsel of the young men, saying, My father made your yoke heavy, and I will add to your yoke: my father also chastised you with whips, but I will chastise you with scorpions. 15 Wherefore the king hearkened not unto the people; for the cause was from the Lord, that he might perform his saying, which the Lord spake by Ahijah the Shilonite unto Jeroboam the son of Nebat.

16 So when all Israel saw that the king hearkened not unto them, the people answered the king, saying, What portion have we in David? neither have we inheritance in the son of Jesse: to your tents, O Israel: now see to thine own house, David. So Israel departed unto their tents. [/b]17 But as for the children of Israel which dwelt in the cities of Judah, Rehoboam reigned over them. 18 Then king Rehoboam sent Adoram, who was over the tribute; and all Israel stoned him with stones, that he died. Therefore king Rehoboam made speed to get him up to his chariot, to flee to Jerusalem. [b]19 So Israel rebelled against the house of David unto this day. 20 And it came to pass, when all Israel heard that Jeroboam was come again, that they sent and called him unto the congregation, and made him king over all Israel: there was none that followed the house of David, but the tribe of Judah only. 21 And when Rehoboam was come to Jerusalem, he assembled all the house of Judah, with the tribe of Benjamin, an hundred and fourscore thousand chosen men, which were warriors, to fight against the house of Israel, to bring the kingdom again to Rehoboam the son of Solomon. 22 But the word of God came unto Shemaiah the man of God, saying, 23 Speak unto Rehoboam, the son of Solomon, king of Judah, and unto all the house of Judah and Benjamin, and to the remnant of the people, saying, 24 Thus saith the Lord, Ye shall not go up, nor fight against your brethren the children of Israel: return every man to his house; for this thing is from me. They hearkened therefore to the word of the Lord, and returned to depart, according to the word of the Lord.

1 Kings 12:1-24 (KJV)
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Petrol May Cost 195 Naira Per Litre (From 65 Naira) - NLC by Nobody: 2:01pm On Sep 22, 2011
So the hike is from £0.26p - £0.80p per litre. In the UK, average is £1.40 per litre. Not sure what it is in the US, but either way, you guys are doing great. wink

The obvious solution would be to buy smaller, lighter cars with engines 1,400cc and below. Lots of Nigerians love big SUV's with big, juicy engines - you'll be the most hard hit! grin
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Petrol May Cost 195 Naira Per Litre (From 65 Naira) - NLC by Kx: 2:04pm On Sep 22, 2011
Siena:

So the hike is from £0.26p - £0.80p per litre. In the UK, average is £1.40 per litre. Not sure what it is in the US, but either way, you guys are doing great.  wink

The obvious solution would be to buy smaller, lighter cars with engines 1,400cc and below. Lots of Nigerians love big SUV's with big, juicy engines - you'll be the most hard hit!  grin

Another imported analysis to home grown problem.

Why dont u compare d availability of social amenities, quality of life, living standard, cost of living in both nations b4 u compare cost of fuel in both nations?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Petrol May Cost 195 Naira Per Litre (From 65 Naira) - NLC by Nobody: 2:23pm On Sep 22, 2011
Kx:

Another imported analysis to home grown problem.

Why dont u compare d availability of social amenities, quality of life, living standard, cost of living in both nations b4 u compare cost of fuel in both nations?

Sorry bro, but my point is still pretty valid here.

There are quite a few issues that level things out, regardless of the countries. Local taxes, is just an example. Work out the gross wage in Nigeria, and do the same in the UK / US. Then work out what's left after taxes, you'll find that on average, in Nigeria you retain a big chunk of your salary. In the UK / US, you pay a massive portion in taxes, then you Council Tax takes a large chunk from the remainder.

Why do you think the average Nigerian will build / buy a house without a mortgage, whilst in the West, it's the reverse, where a particular lifestyle is often founded on credit?

Work things out bro, and you'll find the average Nigerian is better off than the average Brit, fuel subsidy or not.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Petrol May Cost 195 Naira Per Litre (From 65 Naira) - NLC by Kx: 4:21pm On Sep 22, 2011
Siena:

Sorry bro, but my point is still pretty valid here.

There are quite a few issues that level things out, regardless of the countries. Local taxes, is just an example. Work out the gross wage in Nigeria, and do the same in the UK / US. Then work out what's left after taxes, you'll find that on average, in Nigeria you retain a big chunk of your salary. In the UK / US, you pay a massive portion in taxes, then you Council Tax takes a large chunk from the remainder.

Why do you think the average Nigerian will build / buy a house without a mortgage, whilst in the West, it's the reverse, where a particular lifestyle is often founded on credit?

Work things out bro, and you'll find the average Nigerian is better off than the average Brit, fuel subsidy or not.

Kolababa:

I dont know why people compare Nigeria with US and UK when it comes to the issue of petroleum deregulation. An average briton and american do not know when the fuel price goes up or down since their transportation system does not depend on petrol or deisel. Trains are there that is very cheap. Elecricity is stable, no headache of fuel for my "i better pass my neighbour". They use gas and elecricity for cooking. Manufacturing sector does not depend on fuel for power. But in Nigeria, all our economic life revolves round the fuel and any slight change in price of fuel in Nigeria will surely take a toll on every areas of the economy.
Pls leave theory you read inside book for your children at home, we all know the theory. Abi we sha go to school.
In UK and US, no matter the tuition fees, that one is not a problem, study loan is there for you but in Nigeria, even bursary award, government will not pay.
Government will give scholarship, the money will be given to the children of big men. When Obasanjo was giving out federal government scholarship, there was a guy that used to sell his blood to the hospital to pay the school fees, the guy applied, he was not given but his classmate who has a uncle in the federal ministry of education got the money and she used part of the money to buy rechearge card and the remaining for birthday.
So comparing Nigeria with US, UK and others, KO JO ARA WON RARA.king. Manufacturing sector does not depend on fuel for power. But in Nigeria, all our economic life revolves round the fuel and any slight change in price of fuel in Nigeria will surely take a toll on every areas of the economy.
Pls leave theory you read inside book for your children at home, we all know the theory. Abi we sha go to school.
In UK and US, no matter the tuition fees, that one is not a problem, study loan is there for you but in Nigeria, even bursary award, government will not pay.
Government will give scholarship, the money will be given to the children of big men. When Obasanjo was giving out federal government scholarship, there was a guy that used to sell his blood to the hospital to pay the school fees, the guy applied, he was not given but his classmate who has a uncle in the federal ministry of education got the money and she used part of the money to buy rechearge card and the remaining for birthday.
So comparing Nigeria with US, UK and others, KO JO ARA WON RARA.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Petrol May Cost 195 Naira Per Litre (From 65 Naira) - NLC by Nobody: 4:48pm On Sep 22, 2011
Comrade Kx, I'm struggling to understand all you typed up there.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Petrol May Cost 195 Naira Per Litre (From 65 Naira) - NLC by lastpage: 6:57pm On Sep 22, 2011
Another "imported analysis" to home grown problem.

@Siena:
I think we should be honest when we do these comparisons and not compare "Apples and Oranges", lest we get lost in the middle confusion.

Let us take a basic yardstick: A Teacher in Nigeria and his counterpart in U.K.

I wish l could draw a "table" on NL so that l can draw immediate parallels between both but then we'll manage.

In Nigeria, he earns an average of #50,000:00 (or 208 GBP) (recent increase taken into consideration otherwise it was like 30K!). He pays tax at 21%, same average in the U.K (PAYE).
U.K counterpart earns on the average 500GBP ( #120,000:00).
This is the first indication of "Apples and Orange syndrome", when we compare the two!

His U.K counterpart, if married and the wife is not working, will be entitled to a whole bucket of "means-tested" benefits that could total over 500GBP in a month on the average (child benefit, early child care allowance, Back to school allowance, Job Seekers allowance, fuel allowance, e.t.c).
His Nigerian counterparts gets nada! Zilch!! that salary is what he has to share with his wife and children, no social safety net in anyway!

Now, if you total the "disposable income" of both families, you will get: Nigerian: #50,000 or 210 GBP. British: about #250,000 or about 1,000 GBP

In Naira or Pounds, how can you compare both of them?

If both of them have 3children of both sexes, lets assume they live in a 3Bedroom house.
In Nigeria, that would cost you #500,000/year (or about 2,100 GBP).
In the U.K, it will cost about 600 x 12 = 7200GBP.

But the beauty of the U.K, when compared to Nigeria is that he can opt for a council house where he pays about 150GBP/month! Otherwise, he can file for "Housing Supplement" by which he contributes less that 10% or 60GBP to his house rent while the govt pays the rest!

The beauty of Nigeria, on the other hand is that the five of them in the family cannot even dare to dream of renting a 3-Bed house! Who dash monkey?
They would all be crowded in a Room and Parlor (doing fabulously for a teacher, by Naija standards! grin ) which costs on average, #250,000 annually! He gets no housing subsidy or Council flat from anywhere!

Now, this same Nigerian teacher has to feed 3kids and wife from that same salary (#600,000 a year, minus house rent of 250K = #350,000!)
He has to pay school fees for 3kids while his counterparts children enjoy "Free Education", the quality of which would cost #500,000 for each child/year in Nigeria while his British counterparts children enjoy free education, the "quality" of which is comparable to those that costs #500,000 per year, per child, in Nigeria! (the likes of British American, Corona College, American Int'l School, Lekki)

The Nigerian Teacher has to buy a Generator (I better-pass my Landlord! grin ), he has to keep fueling it almost 24/7 while his counterpart in the U.K enjoys uninterrupted power 24/7 and can therefore leverage on bulk-buying of foodstuffs in the home as it can be properly preserved!

Our Nigerian teacher must hop to the market every two days as he cannot preserve food in the house due to lack of stable electricity (cost of transport, lost man-hours spent on the road, rising cost of food, risk of commuting, e.t.c)

Anyone that has lived in U.K or Europe knows that food is the cheapest of all things you can buy (no wonder some of my Bros look like that "Obese Michelin Advert" after just 6months abroad! ).
Our Nigerian counterpart will have to fork-out close to 50% of his income on buying food and foodstuffs for his family! Just go to Ketu and see the cost of Tomatoes, Rice, Gari, yam, e.t.c
My Dad once told me a story of how the "whites/ Brits" were surprised that Nigerians eat Bokotoo and Ponmo (Cow-leg, expensive big-man's food), something they throw away in the U.K and Cow-skin that has no nutrition at all!! Such is life!!

I dont want to go on and on but l went this far just to show that comparing "costs/pricing" of commodities in Nigeria with U.K and therefore concluding we are better-off. is like comparing Apples with oranges, THERE IS NO BASIS TO DO SO!

Remember, Mainland U.K does not even produce Crude Oil while Nigeria does!
If cheaper pump-price of Petrol is the only thing we can show for been a Nigerian, then let it be!

I bet if Nigerian Political class (of Looters) were like U.K Politicians without any source of crude oil, Brits would be paying 20GBP per liter of fuel (so they can have spare money to loot), thats how wicked our leaders are!.

The problem is NOT UNDER-PRICING OF Petroleum Products!
The problem is unbridled corruption and looting of our national wealth by a few people in Govt.

Eradicate these and you will see that the govt can even afford to put every school-age child on "Back To Education" allowance!.
Ask the Europeans how they do it. wink

Lastpage
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Petrol May Cost 195 Naira Per Litre (From 65 Naira) - NLC by Kx: 10:01am On Sep 23, 2011
Siena:

Comrade Kx, I'm struggling to understand all you typed up there.
I simply pasted someone else's opinion.

I hope lastpage analysis above is clear enough.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Petrol May Cost 195 Naira Per Litre (From 65 Naira) - NLC by tolu001: 7:42pm On Sep 24, 2011
lastpage:

@Siena:
I think we should be honest when we do these comparisons and not compare "Apples and Oranges", lest we get lost in the middle confusion.

Let us take a basic yardstick: A Teacher in Nigeria and his counterpart in U.K.

I wish l could draw a "table" on NL so that l can draw immediate parallels between both but then we'll manage.

In Nigeria, he earns an average of #50,000:00  (or 208 GBP) (recent increase taken into consideration otherwise it was like 30K!). He pays tax at 21%, same average in the U.K (PAYE).
U.K counterpart earns on the average 500GBP ( #120,000:00).
This is the first indication of "Apples and Orange syndrome", when we compare the two!

His U.K counterpart, if married and the wife is not working, will be entitled to a whole bucket of "means-tested" benefits that could total over 500GBP in a month on the average (child benefit, early child care allowance, Back to school allowance, Job Seekers allowance, fuel allowance, e.t.c).
His Nigerian counterparts gets nada! Zilch!! that salary is what he has to share with his wife and children, no social safety net in anyway!

Now, if you total the "disposable income" of both families, you will get: Nigerian: #50,000 or 210 GBP.  British: about #250,000 or about 1,000 GBP

In Naira or Pounds, how can you compare both of them?

If both of them have 3children of both sexes, lets assume they live in a 3Bedroom house.
In Nigeria, that would cost you #500,000/year (or about 2,100 GBP).
In the U.K, it will cost about 600 x 12 = 7200GBP. 

But the beauty of the U.K, when compared to Nigeria is that he can opt for a council house where he pays about 150GBP/month! Otherwise, he can file for "Housing Supplement" by which he contributes less that 10% or 60GBP to his house rent while the govt pays the rest!

The beauty of Nigeria, on the other hand is that the five of them in the family cannot even dare to dream of renting a 3-Bed house! Who dash monkey?
They would all be crowded in a Room and Parlor (doing fabulously for a teacher, by Naija standards! grin ) which costs on average, #250,000 annually! He gets no housing subsidy or Council flat from anywhere!

Now, this same Nigerian teacher has to feed 3kids and wife from that same salary (#600,000 a year, minus house rent of 250K = #350,000!)
He has to pay school fees for 3kids while his counterparts children enjoy "Free Education", the quality of which would cost #500,000 for each child/year in Nigeria while his British counterparts children enjoy free education, the "quality" of which is comparable to those that costs #500,000 per year, per child, in Nigeria! (the likes of British American, Corona College, American Int'l School, Lekki)

The Nigerian Teacher has to buy a Generator (I better-pass my Landlord! grin ), he has to keep fueling it almost 24/7 while his counterpart in the U.K enjoys uninterrupted power 24/7 and can therefore leverage on bulk-buying of foodstuffs in the home as it can be properly preserved!

Our Nigerian teacher must hop to the market every two days as he cannot preserve food in the house due to lack of stable electricity (cost of transport, lost man-hours spent on the road, rising cost of food, risk of commuting, e.t.c)

Anyone that has lived in U.K or Europe knows that food is the cheapest of all things you can buy (no wonder some of my Bros look like that "Obese Michelin Advert" after just 6months abroad! ).
Our Nigerian counterpart will have to fork-out close to 50% of his income on buying food and foodstuffs for his family! Just go to Ketu and see the cost of Tomatoes, Rice, Gari, yam, e.t.c
My Dad once told me a story of how the "whites/ Brits" were surprised that Nigerians eat Bokotoo  and Ponmo (Cow-leg, expensive big-man's food), something they throw away in the U.K and Cow-skin that has no nutrition at all!! Such is life!!

I dont want to go on and on but l went this far just to show that comparing "costs/pricing" of commodities in Nigeria with U.K and therefore concluding we are better-off. is like comparing Apples with oranges, THERE IS NO BASIS TO DO SO!

Remember, Mainland U.K does not even produce Crude Oil while Nigeria does!
If cheaper pump-price of Petrol is the only thing we can show for been a Nigerian, then let it be!

I bet if Nigerian Political class (of Looters) were like U.K Politicians without any source of crude oil, Brits would be paying 20GBP per liter of fuel (so they can have spare money to loot), thats how wicked our leaders are!.

The problem is NOT UNDER-PRICING OF Petroleum Products!
The problem is unbridled corruption and looting of our national wealth by a few people in Govt.

Eradicate these and you will see that the govt can even afford to put every school-age child on "Back To Education" allowance!.
Ask the Europeans how they do it. wink

Lastpage

May God bless you, i don't know how any sane mind can come up with the conclusion that an average Nigerian is better off than his counterpart in the UK. That's some warped comparison there.

We are not on the same level and we can never be as long as the Nigeria Politicians are working round the clock to loot the treasury dry and impoverish the masses while their UK counterparts are busy improving the standard of living of the average Brits even if it requires waging war on smaller countries to exploit and export their resources for their own people just to make their life better.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: Petrol May Cost 195 Naira Per Litre (From 65 Naira) - NLC by lastpage: 12:41am On Sep 26, 2011
^^^^
We are not on the same level and we can never be as long as the Nigeria Politicians are working round the clock to loot the treasury dry and impoverish the masses while their UK counterparts are busy improving the standard of living of the average Brits even if it requires waging war on smaller countries to exploit and export their resources for their own people just to make their life better.

You nailed everything together, in a very coincise manner!
Reason why there will always be a "Libya, Ivory coast, Iraq, Vietnam, Venezuela, Iran, e.t.c", till the end of time!
'Wickedly smart' leaders in the West, "Corruptly Stewpid" leaders in Nigeria and Africa in general.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Best Way To Receive Dollars In Nigeria? / Urgent:Mack tipping / Howo Trucks Needed / Classic 3bedroom Bungalow Architectural Design + interior For Half Plot Of Land

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.