Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,915 members, 7,814,085 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:12 AM

Who Is To Blame ( Customer Or Bank) ? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Who Is To Blame ( Customer Or Bank) ? (9181 Views)

M-banking: Who Do You Trust To Keep Your Money - Mobile Operator Or Bank? / Bank Loan Or Bank Guarantee- Which Is Better / Gtbank Or Bank Phb (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is To Blame ( Customer Or Bank) ? by wizb: 11:04pm On Sep 21, 2011
manny4life:

On this one, it's a shared responsibility. I'm not trying to side with banks; however, customers don't have any special protection and are held liable just as much as the bank and in this case, individuals have responsibility to make certain that they fill out the forms etc. Meanwhile, bank tellers are to cross check names and acct # to verify deposit. Quite unfortunate, there is no legal recourse to this, and if even if there was (in this case, small claims court which Nigeria DOESN'T HAVE), for 12k? Brother, if you're in dire need of the money, u have a PayPal acct, I can send $70 to you.

@manny4life you are very kind. Honestly, its been a while I read such kind words on NL. Thank you.
Re: Who Is To Blame ( Customer Or Bank) ? by KayDee4: 3:14am On Sep 22, 2011
rhamzus:

Went to d bank dis morning, all they can say is dt they hav done a negative amt on d guys acct, so once he pays in i will b refunded. Wat if d guy decides nt to operate d acct again?

its really strange how honesty is difficult to find, how can you just withdraw money that u do nt know how it gt into your acct. Am sure d guy wuld b claiming na baba GOD don do am.

I'm sure he sees it as manna from heaven.

If they have already done a -ve amount on the guy's account then your money should be ready for collection. They dont have to wait for the guy to pay in money before they return yours. The guy might neva use the acct again, so will you wait forever ?

I will say, the teller was negligent (probably under pressure) and you are partly to blame too; but in the spirit of "the customer is always right", the bank will assume full responsibility and  refund you at the end of the day.

12K is not too much to be "unofficially" refunded  by staff members of the unit (depending on the bank sha). What bank is it again ?
Re: Who Is To Blame ( Customer Or Bank) ? by rhamzus(m): 9:57am On Sep 22, 2011
manny4life:

On this one, it's a shared responsibility. I'm not trying to side with banks; however, customers don't have any special protection and are held liable just as much as the bank and in this case, individuals have responsibility to make certain that they fill out the forms etc. Meanwhile, bank tellers are to cross check names and acct # to verify deposit. Quite unfortunate, there is no legal recourse to this, and if even if there was (in this case, small claims court which Nigeria DOESN'T HAVE), for 12k? Brother, if you're in dire need of the money, u have a PayPal acct, I can send $70 to you.

Chairman if i needed yur money, i wuld hav asked politely. Tryin to show yurself dat u b BIGZ BOY, PLS Save it . The problem is where the bank portrays its completely my fault, that's d annoyance?
Re: Who Is To Blame ( Customer Or Bank) ? by Nobody: 10:24am On Sep 22, 2011
whats the name of the bank? am sure it's intercontinental

they are notorious for making silly mistakes, that bank owes me 12k till date.
Re: Who Is To Blame ( Customer Or Bank) ? by mrofficial(m): 10:50am On Sep 22, 2011
rhamzus:

Chairman if i needed yur money, i wuld hav asked politely. Tryin to show yurself dat u b BIGZ BOY, PLS Save it . The problem is where the bank portrays its completely my fault, that's d annoyance?

Guy, you're just being a typical Nigerian. Someone feels your pain and wants to help, all you could say is he's showing Bigz boyz. How many other people here have offered to help with the money. You sounded as if the guy knew you before. Abeg, go wash your rude mouth commot, get manners and come back to say at least thanks and not the bullocks you wrote up there.
Re: Who Is To Blame ( Customer Or Bank) ? by rhamzus(m): 11:28am On Sep 22, 2011
mr.official:

Guy, you're just being a typical Nigerian. Someone feels your pain and wants to help, all you could say is he's showing Bigz boyz. How many other people here have offered to help with the money. You sounded as if the guy knew you before. Abeg, go wash your rude mouth commot, get manners and come back to say at least thanks and not the bullocks you wrote up there.

I am a Nigerian and proud of it. The money is not problem, this is a forum to raise issues, where pple can giv advice to those who may b in the same prob. as me. By the way i wasnt insulting manny4life, bt if he tink i was "PELE" .
Re: Who Is To Blame ( Customer Or Bank) ? by pek(m): 11:56am On Sep 22, 2011
The banker doesnt have have an iota of blame. The cashier or teller has all the blame. The info on the paying in slip should match that on the system. If not, you dont post. The cashier's duty was to call back the depositor to inform him of the mistake. My first experience was with bank phb. They called me to inform me of the mistake and when i told they were i was, the guy volunteered to do it for me. The second one was with gtb and it was a distant in law who didnt know my english name. She filled my two names but the bank refused to collect the deposit until she fills the other name. So, the cashier/bank is to blame. me to inform me of the mistake and when i told they were i was, the guy volunteered to do it for me. The second one was with gtb and it was a distant in law who didnt know my english name. She filled my two names but the bank refused to collect the deposit until she fills the other name. So, the cashier/bank is to blame.
Re: Who Is To Blame ( Customer Or Bank) ? by DidiLove1: 12:02pm On Sep 22, 2011

^^^Dumbest comment i read on this thread. It wouldn't have cost u anything to say thank you and politely refused the offer, instead u rub his kind gesture in his face. U don't need his money yet you come to this forum to WHINE over common 12k! U can't fill simple bank teller, bloody illiterate! I HOPE U NEVER SEE A DIME OF THAT 12K AGAIN!
Re: Who Is To Blame ( Customer Or Bank) ? by mrofficial(m): 12:33pm On Sep 22, 2011
Didi Love:

^^^Dumbest comment i read on this thread. It wouldn't have cost u anything to say thank you and politely refused the offer, instead u rub his kind gesture in his face. U don't need his money yet you come to this forum to WHINE over common 12k! U can't fill simple bank teller, bloody illiterate! I HOPE U NEVER SEE A DIME OF THAT 12K AGAIN!

Don't mind him, his idiocy is uncontrollable. Who knows what he has said to the bank management that led to their denial of not being responsible for it. undecided
Re: Who Is To Blame ( Customer Or Bank) ? by okeyxyz(m): 1:58pm On Sep 22, 2011
Didi Love:

you said it right, the least he could have done is to politely decline, but he goes on the attack like a wild dog. what's the logic in that .
Re: Who Is To Blame ( Customer Or Bank) ? by lovejo(m): 2:58pm On Sep 22, 2011
The bank standard rule b4 deposit is for you to verify the account before you deposit, so far you have fail to follow proper procedure i can't hold bank liable for this. Assuming you verified it and you are clear to deposit it wrongly then you have a case, moreover think of cost benefit analysis if you take it up in court of law as you said.
Re: Who Is To Blame ( Customer Or Bank) ? by ignis: 6:37am On Sep 23, 2011
@ poster, N12k is a chicken change to start making noise about, I guess u've learnt from ur mistake., That 12k is a sch fee u av to pay. Tommorrow be red careful while filling teller. Thank God the money is not in million, Once bitten, twice shy.
Re: Who Is To Blame ( Customer Or Bank) ? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Sep 23, 2011
ignis:

@ poster, N12k is a chicken change to start making noise about,  I guess u've learnt from your mistake., That 12k is a sch fee u av to pay. Tommorrow be red careful while filling teller. Thank God the money is not in million,  Once bitten, twice shy.

no matter how small, it's his money
as long as you cant afford to pay 12k for a plate of rice. it's not small

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cement Price Will Reduce Soon - FG / How Much Is Cefa To Naira Exchange Rate Today Black Market / Access Holdings To Acquire National Bank Of Kenya Limited

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.