Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,034 members, 7,821,575 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:13 PM

Reps Move To Tie Doctors Down For 5 Years Before Eligibility To Migrate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Move To Tie Doctors Down For 5 Years Before Eligibility To Migrate (738 Views)

2023 Presidency: Court Dismisses Suit Challenging Atiku’s Eligibility To Contest / Court Adjourns Suit Challenging Atiku’s Eligibility To Contest Presidency / Daniel Ukpera Donates Ropes To His Community To Tie Goats (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reps Move To Tie Doctors Down For 5 Years Before Eligibility To Migrate by peekspot(m): 8:24pm On Apr 06, 2023

The House of Representatives has passed for second reading a bill that seeks to prevent Nigerian-trained medical or dental practitioners from being granted full licences until they have worked for a minimum of five years in the country.

The bill, sponsored by Ganiyu Johnson, seeks to amend the Medical and Dental Practitioners Act.

It was debated and scaled second reading on Thursday.

Leading the debate on the bill, Johnson said to the House that it was only fair for medical practitioners, who enjoyed taxpayer subsidies on their training, to “give back to the society”.

The bill was opposed by Uzoma Abonta from Abia State, who argued that “such a bill will be like enslavement.”

Despite the argument by Abonta, the bill scaled second reading and referred to committee on health services.

https://dailypost.ng/2023/04/06/brain-drain-reps-move-to-tie-doctors-down-for-5-years-before-eligibility-to-migrate/
Re: Reps Move To Tie Doctors Down For 5 Years Before Eligibility To Migrate by Nandoife: 8:26pm On Apr 06, 2023
The country keeps losing our Best Brains for deprivation and poor Leadership Quality orchestrated by unrepented characters in power, supported by You and I in every electionary calendar

Our Mumu never Do!!!!!
Re: Reps Move To Tie Doctors Down For 5 Years Before Eligibility To Migrate by BloomingDale(f): 8:27pm On Apr 06, 2023
They are finally taking my advice. Kudos to our reps. They should make it 10 years.

3 Likes

Re: Reps Move To Tie Doctors Down For 5 Years Before Eligibility To Migrate by DrUche3(m): 8:30pm On Apr 06, 2023
They should rather channel the energy into having a working system. Why must I work for 5years before being allowed to travel out for greener pastures even when I saw myself through school without scholarships
Is the same rule applicable to other professions?

They should think again and see into the future too please.

6 Likes

Re: Reps Move To Tie Doctors Down For 5 Years Before Eligibility To Migrate by helinues: 8:32pm On Apr 06, 2023
Misplaced priority.

Why not provide conducive environment to them and make their salaries attractive and see if they will be seeking to go abroad to practice their profession

2 Likes

Re: Reps Move To Tie Doctors Down For 5 Years Before Eligibility To Migrate by Radiant01(m): 8:38pm On Apr 06, 2023
We have a lot of basics things bothering our nation,Amend the constitution on those basics things not this
Re: Reps Move To Tie Doctors Down For 5 Years Before Eligibility To Migrate by Dayoself: 8:48pm On Apr 06, 2023
Radiant01:
We have a lot of basics things bothering our nation,Amend the constitution on those basics things not this
Re: Reps Move To Tie Doctors Down For 5 Years Before Eligibility To Migrate by Arda1000(m): 8:49pm On Apr 06, 2023
BloomingDale:
They are finally taking my advice. Kudos to our reps. They should make it 10 years.
U know it is not a must to comment when u have nothing to say

3 Likes

Re: Reps Move To Tie Doctors Down For 5 Years Before Eligibility To Migrate by CodeTemplar: 8:54pm On Apr 06, 2023
BloomingDale:
what happens to other equally govt subsidized professionals like engineers and mathematicians?

The sensible thing is to train more of them as a way of positioning the economy for remittances, and then give them the amount being used to subsidized them as a loan repayable from any part of the world they chose to work from.
Re: Reps Move To Tie Doctors Down For 5 Years Before Eligibility To Migrate by Nuzo1(m): 8:55pm On Apr 06, 2023
Very big mumu talk.

Would that law also be applicable to your medical tourism and your children’s academic pursuits abroad?

Very foolish set of human beings.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Move To Tie Doctors Down For 5 Years Before Eligibility To Migrate by BloomingDale(f): 8:58pm On Apr 06, 2023
Arda1000:
U know it is not a must to comment when u have nothing to say

Re: Reps Move To Tie Doctors Down For 5 Years Before Eligibility To Migrate by LionTiger(m): 9:03pm On Apr 06, 2023
You train them for five years, they gather expirence and leaves the country,? Simply divert those stolen funds to upgrade the healthcare facilites and give them a better pay.
Re: Reps Move To Tie Doctors Down For 5 Years Before Eligibility To Migrate by soil4soil(m): 9:07pm On Apr 06, 2023
They should also pass a bill to tie down politicians from going to medical tourism

What is good for the doctors is also good for the politicians

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Move To Tie Doctors Down For 5 Years Before Eligibility To Migrate by onegig(m): 9:14pm On Apr 06, 2023
Lovely.

If USA, Uk, Saudi Arabia etc need doctors and nurses. They should come build universities of medicine in Nigeria and offer free tuition to prospective Nigerian students. Or better still they should create their own universities and offer free tuition to Nigerian students.

Only issue i have and which would be quashed by any court is mandating existing doctors. That would never hold. They didn't put a gun to the government to offer free tuition or subsidized tuition. You can only start implementing it for new students joining 100 level course in any public university and they have to sign an undertaking.

If any student does not want to sign up for such. Then they can opt for a paid private medical universities.

Government should increase welfare and give thhem special employment cadre. It is not enough to mandate people but they also should not be offered peanuts.

4 Likes

Re: Reps Move To Tie Doctors Down For 5 Years Before Eligibility To Migrate by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 9:38pm On Apr 06, 2023
BloomingDale:
]
Where was president for most part of his administration? Recieving treatments in United Kingdom hospital 😱😮😮

Where is the president elect? recieving treatment in London hospital 😱😱😱

Something is wrong with you
Re: Reps Move To Tie Doctors Down For 5 Years Before Eligibility To Migrate by Volksfuhrer(m): 9:48pm On Apr 06, 2023
Satanic move.

So it's time to turn a medical doctor into a constitutional slave that will work five years to regain his freedom.

Why can't these legislators address the underlying issues encouraging our doctors to "Japa" at the slightest opportunity.

Sometimes, I marvel at the kind of spirits that minister to our leaders. From whence did this horrible idea emanate?

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To Tie Doctors Down For 5 Years Before Eligibility To Migrate by gammarays1: 9:58pm On Apr 06, 2023
I trust Nigerians

Leave everything, travel and start afresh.

An undergraduate there earns more than a 10 year professional experience expert here.
Re: Reps Move To Tie Doctors Down For 5 Years Before Eligibility To Migrate by OmoFiditi: 10:05pm On Apr 06, 2023
How about those that went through Private medical Universities? Did they get any rebate?

There are medical professionals who are either unemployed or underemployed after school, NYSC and internship, what is the guarantee that within that 5 years they will be gainfully employed?
Re: Reps Move To Tie Doctors Down For 5 Years Before Eligibility To Migrate by Uncleodi(m): 10:11pm On Apr 06, 2023
If this rubbish sees the light of the day, no body will be interested in studying medicine in Nigeria anymore.

What benefits will it yield in 10 years time??

Even the oversea remittance will drop badly grin

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To Tie Doctors Down For 5 Years Before Eligibility To Migrate by OlujobaSamuel: 5:39am On Apr 07, 2023
OmoFiditi:
How about those that went through Private medical Universities? Did they get any rebate?

There are medical professionals who are either unemployed or underemployed after school, NYSC and internship, what is the guarantee that within that 5 years they will be gainfully employed?
Private university students also go through the public institutions for their housemanship or something.
I think outside trained medical students should be exempted since they paid the cost of their training themselves
Re: Reps Move To Tie Doctors Down For 5 Years Before Eligibility To Migrate by olisaEze(m): 6:18am On Apr 07, 2023
What rebate has the Nigerian govt ever given to medical students in the course of their studies that they think it’s okay to withhold the mbbs license from them?? Instead of doing the right thing by the healthcare sector for Nigerians, they want to reap were they did not sow! This is not a realistic solution. undecided
Re: Reps Move To Tie Doctors Down For 5 Years Before Eligibility To Migrate by laiperi: 2:44am On Apr 08, 2023
Five years or 10 years delay, you are only postponing their japa.

Rawlings detained those doctors coming on holidays until they paid back in his military Presidential days. It did not work.

Japa is a colo-mentality that affects not only doctors but every profession. Even those without skills. But it is worse when skills and talents are wasted.

First our planners, not irredeemable political leaders, cannot put talents and skills together to solve local needs because deluge of oil money cannot make us think of necessity as the mother of invention.

If we had people that did it with meagre Cocoa money then, why has trillions turned us into abject poverty capital?
Re: Reps Move To Tie Doctors Down For 5 Years Before Eligibility To Migrate by panpan(m): 2:50am On Apr 08, 2023
No person should bother to study medicine or dentistry in Nigeria with such a bill being contemplated.
The bill should be rejected from start to finish.
The bill is discriminatory against newly qualified doctors and dentists.
The bill encourages slavery in the employment of doctors and dentists.
Re: Reps Move To Tie Doctors Down For 5 Years Before Eligibility To Migrate by Tetrahedron: 4:41am On Apr 08, 2023
BloomingDale:
I think you are a slowpoke just as anything or anyone in the Nigerian system, so you think that the solution to the problem!
What this will lead to is that no one will enroll in medical line in govt universities in Nigeria which will lead to total collapse of the medical system!

It amazes me how people think
Re: Reps Move To Tie Doctors Down For 5 Years Before Eligibility To Migrate by adecz: 4:53am On Apr 08, 2023
You don't need to create any legislation
to tie Nigerian doctors down.

Simply pay them the entitlements due to
them instead of denying them their legitimate entitlements, but choose to pay unproductive
politicians homungous allowances for
doing nothing.

About 3 years back, at the height
of one of those doctor's strikes,
that dwarf Ngige, parading himself
as Labour Minister came on National and international TV to tell the world that Nigeria had enough doctors, so our doctors can
Japa if they so wish.

One of the major failures of Buhari is
that he appoints Ministers who are so
incompetent and they aren't held accountable
for any fcukups❗️❗️❗️❌❌❌
Re: Reps Move To Tie Doctors Down For 5 Years Before Eligibility To Migrate by BloomingDale(f): 8:59am On Apr 08, 2023
Tetrahedron:

I think you are a slowpoke just as anything or anyone in the Nigerian system, so you think that the solution to the problem!
What this will lead to is that no one will enroll in medical line in govt universities in Nigeria which will lead to total collapse of the medical system!

It amazes me how people think

(1) (Reply)

Replace 'State Of Origin' With 'Certificate Of Residence' — VP Osinbajo / Peter Obi Is Tribalistic. / Rebellion Against Tinubu Begins:kalu,uba & Others Draw Battle Line;reject Akpabi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.