Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,178 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:05 AM

The Pagan Origins Of Easter - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Pagan Origins Of Easter (453 Views)

Masquerades Flog Themselves In Nnewi, Anambra To Mark "Easter Monday" (Video) / See The Origins And Founding Patriarchs of Yoruba And Yoruboid Towns. / See Reasons Why Guys Sag Their Pants (the Diverse Origins Of Sagging) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Pagan Origins Of Easter by FARA4GA: 1:54pm On Apr 07, 2023
Every year, millions of people around the world observe Easter as a holiday. It is a time of rebirth, renewal, and joy as families gather to share meals, exchange gifts, and take part in Easter-themed activities. Few people, however, are aware of the fascinating pagan origins of this well-known holiday. This article will reveal the shocking truth about the history of Easter and the surprising historical figures who played a role in its development.

Easter's pagan origins can be traced back to ancient civilizations worshiping the goddess of fertility and spring. Ishtar, who was worshiped by the Babylonians over 4,000 years ago, was one of the earliest known goddesses associated with this holiday. The Babylonians celebrated Ishtar's resurrection on the first full moon following the spring equinox, which also happened to be the time of year when the goddess's sacred animal, the hare, gave birth to its young. In Christian tradition, the hare was later adopted as a symbol of Easter.

The ancient Greeks and Romans observed spring festivals similar to Easter. The Dionysus festival, which took place in late March or early April, was a time for drinking, dancing, and feasting. During the same time period, the Romans celebrated Ceres, the goddess of agriculture. This festival honored the goddess with parades, games, and feasts.

Ostara, one of the most well-known goddesses associated with the spring equinox, is often depicted as a maiden with long hair and a flower wreath on her head. Ostara, according to legend, was responsible for bringing new life to the earth and was associated with the egg as a fertility symbol. The modern Easter egg is thought to have its origins in this ancient pagan tradition.....

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid021Lnbq2eHGvXyiJKDddyfcQ9UZUFEBk4MWtBsktJo9rNG3jNxhD44kbAyYZPYry6ql&id=100028375405642&sfnsn=scwspmo&mibextid=RUbZ1f
Re: The Pagan Origins Of Easter by EastAlchemist: 1:56pm On Apr 07, 2023
inanna
Ishtar
Venus

The queen of Mesopotamia
The first civilization on earth
Often depicted as a woman holding a beast with 7 heads

Most of her devotees were asexual too I heard

She was inanna in Mesopotamia
Ishtar in Babylon

For me I call her Athena
One of my heroes
My sugar mama

Men like Pericles of Athens
Alexandria the great
Napoleon
made mention of this Great woman guiding them to victory everytime
Re: The Pagan Origins Of Easter by DennisEche(m): 3:51pm On Apr 07, 2023
EastAlchemist:
inanna
Ishtar
Venus

The queen of Mesopotamia
The first civilization on earth
Often depicted as a woman holding a beast with 7 heads

Most of her devotees were asexual too I heard

She was inanna in Mesopotamia
Ishtar in Babylon

For me I call her Athena
One of my heroes
My sugar mama

Men like Pericles of Athens
Alexandria the great
Napoleon
made mention of this Great woman guiding them to victory everytime

FARA4GA:
Every year, millions of people around the world observe Easter as a holiday. It is a time of rebirth, renewal, and joy as families gather to share meals, exchange gifts, and take part in Easter-themed activities. Few people, however, are aware of the fascinating pagan origins of this well-known holiday. This article will reveal the shocking truth about the history of Easter and the surprising historical figures who played a role in its development.

Easter's pagan origins can be traced back to ancient civilizations worshiping the goddess of fertility and spring. Ishtar, who was worshiped by the Babylonians over 4,000 years ago, was one of the earliest known goddesses associated with this holiday. The Babylonians celebrated Ishtar's resurrection on the first full moon following the spring equinox, which also happened to be the time of year when the goddess's sacred animal, the hare, gave birth to its young. In Christian tradition, the hare was later adopted as a symbol of Easter.

The ancient Greeks and Romans observed spring festivals similar to Easter. The Dionysus festival, which took place in late March or early April, was a time for drinking, dancing, and feasting. During the same time period, the Romans celebrated Ceres, the goddess of agriculture. This festival honored the goddess with parades, games, and feasts.

Ostara, one of the most well-known goddesses associated with the spring equinox, is often depicted as a maiden with long hair and a flower wreath on her head. Ostara, according to legend, was responsible for bringing new life to the earth and was associated with the egg as a fertility symbol. The modern Easter egg is thought to have its origins in this ancient pagan tradition.....

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid021Lnbq2eHGvXyiJKDddyfcQ9UZUFEBk4MWtBsktJo9rNG3jNxhD44kbAyYZPYry6ql&id=100028375405642&sfnsn=scwspmo&mibextid=RUbZ1f
Shut up if you have no idea of something qnd stop misleading people.. Easter is basically about reflection and salvation of what the death of Jesus Christ brings to us. In his death we have life
Re: The Pagan Origins Of Easter by EastAlchemist: 4:11pm On Apr 07, 2023
DennisEche:

Shut up if you have no idea of something qnd stop misleading people.. Easter is basically about reflection and salvation of what the death of Jesus Christ brings to us. In his death we have life
Sorry if you thought I was
I was just sharing my opinion on the OP

1 Like

Re: The Pagan Origins Of Easter by EastAlchemist: 4:37pm On Apr 07, 2023
But

(1) (Reply)

Close Contacts Of British / All You Need Is A Package / African Monarch : Learn About The Stages Of Rituals The New Ooni Of Ife Adeyeye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.