Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,604 members, 7,827,274 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:59 AM

Why Do Nigerians Use People? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Nigerians Use People? (6997 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats? / Why Do Nigerians Rate Marriage So Highly? / Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Use People? by Nobody: 10:25pm On Sep 20, 2011
Even the most church-going type, unfortunately, are still scammers and people-users by heart.
They procure the services of someone, someone delivers, and then payment becomes an issue. If at all they finally pay, they make it seem like they're doing you a favor! undecided
They make deals and then, upon delivering (after putting you in a tight corner by WASTING TIME) start demanding last-minute changes to the terms of the agreement knowing you have little choice at that point in time.

You only hear from them when they need something from you.

They also just love to request people even slightly younger than them to call them uncle/aunty/etc (we're not even freaking related and I just met you) just so they can mentally setup for themselves a platform of false familiarity & unwarranted respect from which to USE you easier. I mean, if I met you in the office would I be calling you that? I will use your first name. Mr/Mrs X at the highest.

Also woe betite you if you agree to do something for them for free, because the way they will so insult your time . . . It's like they're thinking, "because he/she agreed to do this for free, his/her time must not be worth much at all so I can't be arsed to respect it".  undecided

I don't enjoy asking people to help me do anything. But when I do, I ALWAYS make it a priority to respect their time AND make it up to them be it monetarily or otherwise. Not so with Nigerians. You're just another mugu whom they conquered into doing something for them. And they won't even[b] use mind[/b] to try and sort you out when you're done.

I've always been the sort to give people a chance to show what they're made of, but when this sort of behavior has become more of a rule than an exception, I think that part of me is totally dead now regarding my fellow Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Use People? by Nobody: 10:30pm On Sep 20, 2011
I plan to just make my time and resources unavailable to Nigerians in general for the sake of inner peace.
I'd also rather not listen to all that "Not everyone is the same" jazz because I know that already.

I think this woman's point of view very closely mimics mine:
http://www.ryze.com/posttopic.php?topicid=643617&confid=1807

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Use People? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Sep 23, 2011
Okay now I'm done ranting.

Mods please feel free to delete this thread! grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use People? by iice(f): 3:55pm On Sep 24, 2011
lol
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use People? by pendo89(f): 6:40pm On Sep 24, 2011
2buff:

I plan to just make my time and resources unavailable to Nigerians in general for the sake of inner peace.
I'd also rather not listen to all that "Not everyone is the same" jazz because I know that already.

shocked wow what a link!

These are the stories that makes it hard for pple to do biz with the west.  This lady is fed up.
But see when the rest of the world read such they decide to set base in neighbouring countries.

We have a big and hardworking partner in lagos who is into oil and gas and hes doing well after all.
so there are exceptions as somebody said.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use People? by obowunmi(m): 9:00pm On Sep 24, 2011
@ OP: glad you vented and hope that you are feeling better now. Be careful not to streotype folks or be quick to judge.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use People? by MrsSiena1(f): 9:06pm On Sep 24, 2011
Choi as if you read my mind, some people are really users, serious one for that matter.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use People? by Nobody: 2:07am On Sep 26, 2011
the irony. grin

Mr. Nigeria is now ranting about Naija grin grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use People? by Nobody: 4:30am On Sep 26, 2011
Ms. Thickumz, When did I become Mr.Nigeria ?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use People? by harakiri(m): 7:05am On Sep 26, 2011
@poster, First of all it's the nonchalant attitude of many Nigerians. They have this lackadiasical attitude and won't act until the dying moment (see how long it took people to activate the NUBAN acct numbers and till now, a lot of people and yet to register their sim cards). Second which is more dangerous is RELIGIOUS influence. A typical religious Nigerian always believes some imaginary god is in control at all times and as such, they get careless. You are in business with a guy and he takes 3weeks to do a day's job. They always complain about nothing yet when it comes to money,they forgot their god and become raging lions. Bus drivers will not maintain their vehicles rather they will paste dozens of stickers with "god is in control" inscribed on them all over the vehicle. When the vehicle finally breaks down or gets into an accident, they'll blame the "witches and wizards" in the village. A building contractor will want to build his own house with YOUR money before yours is completed all because the prophet in his church told him the time has come for blessings and your hard earned money is now a "gift" from god. I can never forget the day I saw a woman praising her god in church for granting her "Abuja contract" worth hundreds of millions. We all know she is telling the world that she now has the opportunity to loot govt funds. This was IN CHURCH! ! ! Students will not read and yet during examinations, they go to Cele Church for prayers. Single ladies instead of working on their relationships prefer to go to babalawo to obtain juju which they believe they can use to turn the man into a spineless puppet or weak vegetable. Talk about "true love" huh? I can go on and on but I presume you get the picture by now. Best way to deal with Nigerians? Give them little or nothing till they have met the requirements needed. Anything short of that, you're hurting yourself.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use People? by SwiftSMS(f): 11:03am On Sep 26, 2011
2buff

I dey feel you especially on the part about people wanting you to call them aunty/uncle when the relationship is purely a business one. I severely hate it when folks do that. I can call you aunty but truly not have an iota of respect for you and also talk trash about you the moment you turn your back so I just don't get it. As an adult I refuse to be bullied or compelled into doing things which are inappropriate in business settings, such as the aunty/uncle title.

Imagine one of my bosses saying to me that I do not call him uncle because of my parents relationship with his sister and brother in-law angry angry , a relationship that is not even by blood. I thought this guy must be joking.

People have different attitudes to bills, some people like to pay their bills on time (like I do), while others take their time about it and then some can simply not be bothered. I am often at logger heads with one of my superiors about this issue, he delays in paying off our company bills and often wants the bill/payment conditions to be on his own terms, even when the other company/party we are dealing with has a standing policy to receive part payment before service and the other half after service. My oga would want service provided in full before we even pay a dime and has the audacity to whine about it.

To make matters worse he is in the habit of not paying me on time therefore causing me to delay in paying my own personal bills like nepa, an issue I have repeatedly talked to him about. It's not that there is no money but there is no fixed date for salary payment. Some people know by the 25th or 28th they will be paid but that's not the case where I work.

Please don't close your business to every Nigerian there are some decent people with good hearts who pay a man his wages for work done without drama involved.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use People? by Nobody: 1:08pm On Sep 26, 2011
@2buff you are probably one of the most proud Nigerians I've met on here.
But then again, being patriotic can also come in the form of honesty. smiley I wish
Americans were like that. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

harakiri:

@poster, First of all it's the nonchalant attitude of many Nigerians. They have this lackadiasical attitude and won't act until the dying moment (see how long it took people to activate the NUBAN acct numbers and till now, a lot of people and yet to register their sim cards). Second which is more dangerous is RELIGIOUS influence. A typical religious Nigerian always believes some imaginary god is in control at all times and as such, they get careless. You are in business with a guy and he takes 3weeks to do a day's job. They always complain about nothing yet when it comes to money,they forgot their god and become raging lions. Bus drivers will not maintain their vehicles rather they will paste dozens of stickers with "god is in control" inscribed on them all over the vehicle. When the vehicle finally breaks down or gets into an accident, they'll blame the "witches and wizards" in the village. A building contractor will want to build his own house with YOUR money before yours is completed all because the prophet in his church told him the time has come for blessings and your hard earned money is now a "gift" from god. I can never forget the day I saw a woman praising her god in church for granting her "Abuja contract" worth hundreds of millions. We all know she is telling the world that she now has the opportunity to loot govt funds. This was IN CHURCH! ! ! Students will not read and yet during examinations, they go to Cele Church for prayers. Single ladies instead of working on their relationships prefer to go to babalawo to obtain juju which they believe they can use to turn the man into a spineless puppet or weak vegetable. Talk about "true love" huh? I can go on and on but I presume you get the picture by now. Best way to deal with Nigerians? Give them little or nothing till they have met the requirements needed. Anything short of that, you're hurting yourself.

WOW!
I'm errrm. . .[size=18pt]*speechless*[/size].
I've learned a lot from this thread. But guys and gals you don't think this is an issue
in other countries too? undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use People? by Nobody: 1:32pm On Sep 26, 2011
Just read the article of Ms. Lazar.

Again the article is VERY enlightening and sadly one of MANY like it. Although I am not Nigerian I do feel a bit ashamed that Nigeria is put on the spot like that seeing as how as she finds Nigerians to be so industrious and "only the Chinese [are] more industrious than them". That's a beautiful thing but what she fails to note other than Nigeria having '6000 years [worth] of history' is within those 6,000 years, Nigerians were given pats on the back from Arabs and Europeans FOR being 'shysty' and dishonest. Let's keep it real. The foundation of Nigeria as a country began with division and corruption.

Then the 'Queen' dubbed the land Nigeria and left it to the natives to run afer having milked and pumped the people for their resources. What could you expect? It's like raising a child. If you don't 'bend the young tree' you cannot
complain when it eventually grows bone straight! That's ludicrous. 'Who knows better MUST do better'. There is a reason, the 'majority' is corrupted. It's what they are taught! Africa is robbed before them by strangers who as a result are rotten rich! This is what they see!  undecided

On the other hand, 'who knows better must do better' can be used in the other perspective. Nigerians who do
know better can set the example. Nobody knows Nigeria or her ppl like NIGERIANS. I am sure you all know
what to look for and what type of people you avoid and would not recommend to the outside world to do business
with. It really is up to Nigerians to make this right. Although I mentioned the outside influence that doesn't
necessarily have to be part of your legacy or culture forever. As I stated I do not have a clue how things are done
in Nigeria but those who know about and have the power to change themselves and the 'dishonest culture' - DO SO!

btw 240 + views and only 13 replies. that says a lot. undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use People? by CalienteMi: 7:35pm On Sep 26, 2011
Hmm.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use People? by Nobody: 8:32pm On Sep 26, 2011
CalienteMi:

Hmm.

Explain this foolishness! angry angry

tongue
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use People? by N101: 12:55am On Sep 27, 2011
@ 2buff - I feel you.

Thankfully I'm beyond the Auntie/Uncle thing, it's Mrs X or Mr X. The only people I call Aunty are those who were there in my childhood, not anyone I met in my teens unless I feel comfortable calling them that.

While I agree with Swift SMS in part, my attitude is that I'm not going to trust or commit myself to anything or anyone until they prove themselves to me, moreso if it is work related. The Bank of N101 is closed, if you ask you will not get no matter what your god(s) told you.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use People? by MissIfe(f): 7:23am On Sep 27, 2011
I'm not nigerian either, but I have witnessed a lot of those dishonnest behaviors and I keep on wondering why do people, within nigeria, keep doing business with such people? I've seen friends being used while doing business and still go ahead and start another business with that same person who was disrespectful/reap them off. I actually met people who went for a holiday with their family with the business investment's money, and when they finally came back, everybody was like "what's the big deal, God told us to forgive, let's do business again" shocked . If one of my friend/reliable business partner was to do business with such people, I would warn him of their past behavior, and I wouldn't want anything to do with them again. But in nigeria, someone calls u up and talks to u about a new business he's doing with a person who scammed you -and a few other people- and you just tell him "god will bless your business in jesus name".

I'm a quite naive person and tend to trust people at first, but once they mess up, there is no way i will ever do any business with them again. I might forgive, since God asks us to wink , but I'll keep my distances.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use People? by Nobody: 8:57am On Sep 27, 2011
Atleast this is not another Nigerian women's thread. We have God to thank.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use People? by Nobody: 9:52am On Sep 27, 2011
Anywayz, it's very funny to read people saying "Well, I am not Nigerian" and then go ahead dropping comments on why they think Nigerians are not trustworthy people. I suggest these people just keep their opinions to themselves. Well, there are not Nigerians. . . .
That said, I do think OP's observation is very true. Nigerians can be very unreliable people and am of the opinion it's a childhood thing. The storms of childhood (naija!), the influences of an uneducated father can stretch right into adulthood and always have the potential of creating a monster of a child. Parents are more to blame than the government is.
And then of course, the religion monster we deal with in this country. By hiding behind religion and religious obligations, Nigerians are able to commit terrible crimes and still get away with their minds intact. It isn't far-fetched that nearly all scammers are religious, and all religious leaders are scammers. They inter-breed, the men of god and the religious bigots; they share ideas and the country is no better for it!

Meanwhile, that link has over 2200 views and less than 15 replies!  shocked shocked
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use People? by Nobody: 10:06am On Sep 27, 2011
@poster, you speak my mind.
one way i get to screen such people is when you spend so much time on negotiation. i know it will surely be a problem to get my balance.
paying balance for services rendered is a problem in Nigeria, funny they have no problem calling to inform you of a new modification to the contract
When you finally get paid, they finally make it look like they are doing you a big favour. like "na pity i pity u ooo"

I have toned down those i work for because of this, and for me to work for you, you have to display some attitude that must convince me we can work together.
it's easy to spot those stingy loosers.

1. they make comments like "ask the person who referred you, we will just pay you everything, you just go ahead with the work"
2. can we see a demo? even when they obviously have a list, with an array of works you have carried out successfully, project that are even challenging compared to theirs.
3. they start fighting over the initial percentage they will pay you, as though, God will come down and pay the rest.
4. spend so much time on negotiation, a sure sign they cant afford the full payment for the service.

the list is endless
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use People? by room702(m): 10:09am On Sep 27, 2011
2buff:

People use people. not just Nigerians. these white people are very good at using people too, when things don't go their way they start to point fingers.

meanwhile, i totally agree with the "call me uncle/auntie" and the "hiding behind the religion" thing Nigerians us to scam their own people. its a big shame
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use People? by N101: 10:11am On Sep 27, 2011
sauer:

Anywayz, it's very funny to read people saying "Well, I am not Nigerian" and then go ahead dropping comments on why they think Nigerians are not trustworthy people. I suggest these people just keep their opinions to themselves. Well, there are not Nigerians. . . .
That said, I do think OP's observation is very true. Nigerians can be very unreliable people and am of the opinion it's a childhood thing. The storms of childhood (naija!), the influences of an uneducated father can stretch right into adulthood and always have the potential of creating a monster of a child. Parents are more to blame than the government is.
And then of course, the religion monster we deal with in this country. By hiding behind religion and religious obligations, Nigerians are able to commit terrible crimes and still get away with their minds intact. It isn't far-fetched that nearly all scammers are religious, and all religious leaders are scammers. They inter-breed, the men of god and the religious bigots; they share ideas and the country is no better for it!

Meanwhile, that link has over 2200 views and less than 15 replies!  shocked shocked

I think the points highlighted by Miss Ife etc are very valid even if they're not from Nigerians, and one I would love to hear addressed: if someone has ripped you off in the name of "business", why continue to do  business with them again?  Are we not helping to fuel that person's dishonesty and unreliability?

I don't think it has to do with childhood.  Some people have poor but honest parents and the children's behaviour is far removed from this - why?  Could it be  because some people are more greedy and materialistic than others?

As for the bit in bold - speaks volumes doesn't it?  grin cheesy grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use People? by Nobody: 10:28am On Sep 27, 2011
N101:

I think the points highlighted by Miss Ife etc are very valid even if they're not from Nigerians, and one I would love to hear addressed: if someone has ripped you off in the name of "business", why continue to do  business with them again?  Are we not helping to fuel that person's dishonesty and unreliability?

I don't think it has to do with childhood.  Some people have poor but honest parents and the children's behaviour is far removed from this - why?  Could it be  because some people are more greedy and materialistic than others?

As for the bit in bold - speaks volumes doesn't it?  grin cheesy grin

When I say it has to do with childhood, I didn't necessarily mean poverty. In fact, I never mentioned poverty. Just the attitude of the parents is enough to wreck/promote a child's future.
We don't have good parents in this country (rich or not)
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use People? by hbrednic: 11:38am On Sep 27, 2011
OP,
yes nigerians are like that,so what is the problem? wetin happen tongue
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use People? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Sep 27, 2011
sauer:

obviously you have an issue with my reply in particular seeing as how you used the 'views vs. replies' line as some reetarded form of parody. clap for yourself cunu  tongue.

do you have a problem with non-nigerians speaking on nigeria? - wait! don't even answer! NOT important!

I stated my being non-nigerian because I am not! i am exercising my right to post as this site is created by Seun who invited non-Nigerians. Keep pretending like you haven't added your -1 cent  tongue to foreign issues (perhaps on foreign forums). Luckily I don't have to pretend. Simply ignore me since you have a problem with us non-nigerians speaking on the VERY reason Nigeria as a country is stigmatized within OUR communities. some ppl sef.  tongue

hbrednic:

OP,
yes nigerians are like that,so what is the problem? wetin happen  tongue

hbrednic's signature: Jesus is the king,you must blv it.

grin  grin  grin  grin  grin the irony.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use People? by sley4life(m): 1:16pm On Sep 27, 2011
to earn in their swindle nature
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use People? by N101: 1:41pm On Sep 27, 2011
sauer:

When I say it has to do with childhood, I didn't necessarily mean poverty. In fact, I never mentioned poverty. Just the attitude of the parents is enough to wreck/promote a child's future.
We don't have good parents in this country (rich or not)

And notice I said "poor but honest", nothing about poverty.  Now the childhood and good parents thing is an interesting angle - please expand.

While I'm not convinced all children follow their parents pattern, peer group sometimes has more importance than parents.  Plus if  you add to that a lot of people are pretenders (children "pretend" to be good at home but are wild outside, people say one thing but practice another). . .
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use People? by God2man(m): 1:56pm On Sep 27, 2011
This issue of scammer has become a monumental problem in Nigeria, and these defrauders still continue to dupe people almost everyday, it is so sad. As i am communicating to you now, my partner paid about 38k for delivery of some materials, up till now those materials are yet to be fully delivered. What people failed to realize is that you can defraud somebody and get away with it, you might have done it in secret and feel you are smarter than them, Ah! What a pity? Jeremiah 17:11" As the patridge sitteth on eggs and hatcheth them not; so he that getteth riches, and not by right, shall leave them in the midst of his days and at his end shall be a fool" proverb9:17" stolen waters are sweet and bread eaten in secret is pleasant, But he knoweth not that the dead are there and that her guest are in the depth of hell". Scammers may be smiling to the bank, but they will not live long to enjoy another person's sweat. God bless you. God2man.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use People? by God2man(m): 1:57pm On Sep 27, 2011
This issue of scammer has become a monumental problem in Nigeria, and these defrauders still continue to dupe people almost everyday, it is so sad. As i am communicating to you now, my partner paid about 38k for delivery of some materials, up till now those materials are yet to be fully delivered. What people failed to realize is that you can defraud somebody and get away with it, you might have done it in secret and feel you are smarter than them, Ah! What a pity? Jeremiah 17:11" As the patridge sitteth on eggs and hatcheth them not; so he that getteth riches, and not by right, shall leave them in the midst of his days and at his end shall be a fool" proverb9:17" stolen waters are sweet and bread eaten in secret is pleasant, But he knoweth not that the dead are there and that her guest are in the depth of hell". Scammers may be smiling to the bank, but they will not live long to enjoy another person's sweat. God bless you. God2man.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use People? by God2man(m): 2:10pm On Sep 27, 2011
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use People? by cold(m): 3:01pm On Sep 27, 2011
When I'm trying to relate with someone,anyone.And they start going; 'By his special grace' 'by God's grace' 'honestly speaking' 'God is my witness' 'believe you me' reh,reh,reh,bla,bla,bla bros I don run be that o.Those are the tell tale signs of a hypocrite & a fraud-waiting-in-the-wings
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use People? by SisiKill1: 3:21pm On Sep 27, 2011
sauer:

Why would you tell them to keep their opinions to themselves when you yourself agree that their opinion is correct?!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why You Should Not Marry These Women: Nurses, Police Women, Lawyers, TV Anchors / The Man With 39 Wives, 94 Children And 33 Grandchildren (photos) / Great Thoughts By Great Men About Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.