Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,301 members, 7,815,542 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:14 PM

My Fairly Interpretation Of Section 134 (2)(b) Of 1999 Constitution As Amended - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Fairly Interpretation Of Section 134 (2)(b) Of 1999 Constitution As Amended (521 Views)

Tinubu Meets Class Of 1999 Governors At Aso Villa / Jonathan Defends Buhari, Backs Removal Of Section 84 Of Electoral Act / Electoral Act: Deletion Of Section 84 (12) ‘A Great Error’ - Falana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Fairly Interpretation Of Section 134 (2)(b) Of 1999 Constitution As Amended by dignity33: 10:16am On Apr 08, 2023
Section 134(2)(b) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended) is clear and unambiguous, direct and simple.

The literal interpretation of this section is that a candidate must secure 1/4th (25%) of votes cast in 2/3rd of the entire 36 States of Nigeria and 1/4th (25%) of votes cast in FCT.

What the constitution are saying here is that before you will be declared a winner of presidential Election in Nigeria, you must score 2/3rd of 36 states including Abuja. In another word if you have 25% in 24 states of Nigeria it must include Abuja. So Abuja is compulsory.

Another example is 9 subject you wrote in Waec. The law said you must get 6 credit including English and maths if you have to pass. It means that even if you scored credits in 7 subject without English and maths you did not meet the requirements but if you get six subjects , English and maths must be included.

So for those who said Abuja is regarded as a state, is practically don’t change anything because it means that you must get 25% in Abuja with 25% in other 23 states for you to be declared winner.
Re: My Fairly Interpretation Of Section 134 (2)(b) Of 1999 Constitution As Amended by Phantom233: 10:38am On Apr 08, 2023
Stolen mandate must be recovered, but first the criminal inec chairman should be sacked and a non northern should be elected grin
Re: My Fairly Interpretation Of Section 134 (2)(b) Of 1999 Constitution As Amended by helinues: 10:40am On Apr 08, 2023
They know more than INEC, they know more than Prof Yakubu.

This our neighbors are just comedians
Re: My Fairly Interpretation Of Section 134 (2)(b) Of 1999 Constitution As Amended by helinues: 10:41am On Apr 08, 2023
Phantom233:
Stolen mandate must be recovered, but first the criminal inec chairman should be sacked and a non northern should be elected grin

We are only hoping brains and manhood have not been looted as well.

We hope
Re: My Fairly Interpretation Of Section 134 (2)(b) Of 1999 Constitution As Amended by Phantom233: 10:44am On Apr 08, 2023
helinues:

We are only hoping brains and manhood have not been looted as well.

We hope
Certainly the shameless old druglord must be thrown behind bars. Cos he's got no brains talkless of manhood

Re: My Fairly Interpretation Of Section 134 (2)(b) Of 1999 Constitution As Amended by helinues: 10:45am On Apr 08, 2023
Phantom233:

Certainly the shameless old druglord must be thrown behind bars. Cos he's got no brains talkless of manhood

That's your president for the next 4 years. The only thing you can do is to burn your region to the ground which we care less
Re: My Fairly Interpretation Of Section 134 (2)(b) Of 1999 Constitution As Amended by Phantom233: 10:47am On Apr 08, 2023
helinues:

That's your president for the next 4 years. The only thing you can do is to burn your region to the ground which we care less
surely he'll rot in jail for 4years, cos that's where he's qualified to be president. grin
Re: My Fairly Interpretation Of Section 134 (2)(b) Of 1999 Constitution As Amended by Houseontherock1: 10:47am On Apr 08, 2023
Fairly misinterpretation as usual...what you all fail to ask yourselves is: why do we have to conduct elections outside Abuja if winning 36 states and losing Abuja makes you a loser? Are the people living in Abuja any better than the residents of the other states? Aren't you just tired of working overtime over this issue?

1 Like

Re: My Fairly Interpretation Of Section 134 (2)(b) Of 1999 Constitution As Amended by seeyounow1: 10:48am On Apr 08, 2023
dignity33:
Section 134(2)(b) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended) is clear and unambiguous, direct and simple.

The literal interpretation of this section is that a candidate must secure 1/4th (25%) of votes cast in 2/3rd of the entire 36 States of Nigeria and 1/4th (25%) of votes cast in FCT.

What the constitution are saying here is that before you will be declared a winner of presidential Election in Nigeria, you must score 2/3rd of 36 states including Abuja. In another word if you have 25% in 24 states of Nigeria it must include Abuja. So Abuja is compulsory.

Another example is 9 subject you wrote in Waec. The law said you must get 6 credit including English and maths if you have to pass. It means that even if you scored credits in 7 subject without English and maths you did not meet the requirements but if you get six subjects , English and maths must be included.

So for those who said Abuja is regarded as a state, is practically don’t change anything because it means that you must get 25% in Abuja with 25% in other 23 states for you to be declared winner.

that is not what the constitution is saying.. the constitution consider abuja equal as a state and make it the 37 state, you dont have to win abuja before you win. it mean 2/3 of 37 states
Re: My Fairly Interpretation Of Section 134 (2)(b) Of 1999 Constitution As Amended by helinues: 10:48am On Apr 08, 2023
Phantom233:
surely he'll rot in jail for 4years, cos that's where he's qualified to be president. grin

Toh

So can you tell us who Tinubu will be swapped with just like the way Buhari was swapped with Jubril?

grin cheesy

Re: My Fairly Interpretation Of Section 134 (2)(b) Of 1999 Constitution As Amended by Phantom233: 10:52am On Apr 08, 2023
helinues:

Toh

So can you tell us who Tinubu will be swapped with just like the way Buhari was swapped with Jubril?

grin cheesy
Shekarau the bokoharam kingpin will be better of for a swap deal.
Re: My Fairly Interpretation Of Section 134 (2)(b) Of 1999 Constitution As Amended by nonhuman(m): 11:02am On Apr 08, 2023
helinues:

so inec people came from jupita or mr yakubu knows the law more than olisa agbakoba former president of NBA

Or is you think that ordinary people don't understand simple English same way you dont
Re: My Fairly Interpretation Of Section 134 (2)(b) Of 1999 Constitution As Amended by nairalanda1(m): 11:05am On Apr 08, 2023
dignity33:

So basically, if you were a candidate of the National Nigerian party and won 2/3rd of the votes in 31 states, and you ran against Terver of the Democratic Alliance of Nigeria and the Cameroons, and he got 2/3rd of the vote in 3 states and Yunusa of the Better Nigeria Alliance won only 25% of the vote in FCT, and ten % of the votes in two states, and no votes elsewhere, while both you and terver did not get up to 25% of the vote in FCT, how una go do?

Will you accept you lost the election simply because you did not get 25% of the vote in FCT?

See the problem your interpretation leads you into?
Re: My Fairly Interpretation Of Section 134 (2)(b) Of 1999 Constitution As Amended by ImDStar: 11:17am On Apr 08, 2023
Professor Nonsense, what has that benefit Nigeria.
Someone is trying to enlighten you on simple English meaning and you're talking in the nonsense.
What does AND means?

The Section 299 of the Constitution which reads ‘the provision of this constitution shall apply to the Federal Capital Territory Abuja [/b]as if it were one of the States of the Federation’.[b]

It said as if it were a state, not a state.
This guy dressed up as if he was a lady, doesn't mean the guy is a lady.
Common sense is not common to batis

helinues:

(1) (Reply)

Nothing Bad Should Happened To Peter Obi For There Will Be Angry Revenge - Igbos / Hope Uzodinma Governor Of Imo State Must Not Win November Poll. He Is Becoming T / APC People, Calm Down.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.