Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,064 members, 7,810,967 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:42 PM

My Trip To Cantaroon. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Trip To Cantaroon. (181 Views)

My Trip To The South-east For The Yuletide!! / APC Reacts To Atiku's Trip To The US, Reveals Next Line Of Action / 2019: Atiku Under Fire Over ‘extravagant Trip’ To Dubai With Obi, Ben Bruce, Oth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Trip To Cantaroon. by mercy87(f): 6:58pm On Apr 08, 2023
MY TRIP TO CANTAROON BY LISA BASSEY

Beasts of England
Beasts of Ireland
Beasts of every land and clime
Hearken to my joyful tidings of the golden future time

Soon or late
The day is coming
Tyrant man shall be overthrown
And the joyful seats of England
Shall be ruled by Beasts alone.

I grew up loving George Orwell's Animal Farm. I found it a puzzling satire of the dubious nature of man. However, it is saddening that this is the reality of most nations, especially in Africa.

I enjoy travelling. It opens me to the world as I absorb cultures and norms. However, I was unprepared for what hit me in Cantaroon. Cantaroon is a country in Central Africa, known for its varied terrain, wildlife and exotic beaches. There, I experienced the cruelty of an oppressive regime in the most inhumane way, ever.

It started like every other day. The sun was shining in the sky, the birds were chirping, and the flowers were blooming. It was a beautiful day in a country ruled by a ruthless dictator named Generalissimo PowerDrunk Greed.

The Generalissimo had been in power for over 40 years, and the people of Cantaroon had long given up hope of ever living in a democratic society.

I woke up that day, fully prepared to enjoy the sights and sounds of the city, and sadly ignorant of what lay ahead.
As I walked through the streets of Cantaroon, I couldn't help but notice the oppressive atmosphere that hung over the city like a thick fog.

The people walked with their heads down, afraid to make eye contact with the heavily armed soldiers who patrolled the streets. The buildings were drab and lifeless, with no signs of creativity or individuality.

I approached a small group of people who were gathered around a makeshift food stand. They were whispering to each other, afraid to speak too loudly. I approached them and asked if I could join them.

"Are you crazy?" one of them whispered. "Don't you know it's illegal to gather in groups of more than three people without a permit?"

I shrugged and told them that I was new in town and didn't know the rules. They looked at me suspiciously, but finally relented and allowed me to join them.

As we sat there eating our meagre portions of food, we talked about life in Cantaroon. The people were resigned to their fate, knowing that any form of dissent would be met with brutal punishment. The Generalissimo had spies everywhere, and the slightest criticism of the government could lead to imprisonment or worse.

"I remember when I was a kid," said one of the men, "we used to have freedom of speech. We could criticize the government without fear of reprisal. But now, we are like animals in a cage, afraid to speak our minds. Just yesterday, they arrested some journalists and several other citizens."

"I know," quipped another. "And the worst part is that the Generalissimo and his cronies live in luxury while we struggle to survive. Prices of foodstuffs have sky rocked and it is difficult to enjoy 3square meals a day".

We all nodded in agreement, knowing that the Generalissimo and his inner circle lived in opulent mansions while the rest of the country lived in poverty. The Generalissimo family members were all high-ranking government officials, and they had become incredibly wealthy through corruption and embezzlement.

Elections were held in Cantaroon but it was merely a farce to convince the international community that it was a democratic nation. The Generalissimo won all the elections by intimidation, manipulation and disenfranchising voters. There was tension everywhere. It was terrifying.

As we talked, we heard the sound of approaching footsteps. We looked up and saw a group of soldiers walking towards us. They were heavily armed and wore stern expressions on their faces.

"Attention!" one of them barked. "You are all under arrest for violating the law!"

We all stood up, trembling with fear. We knew that this could mean imprisonment or worse. As the soldiers handcuffed us and led us away, I couldn't help but wonder how much longer the people of Cantaroon would have to suffer under the yoke of dictatorship.

As we were being led away, I caught a glimpse of the Generalissimo's mansion in the distance. It was a sprawling estate with manicured lawns and a swimming pool. I wondered how much longer the Generalissimo could continue to live in luxury while his people suffered.

Days turned into weeks, and we were held in a dank prison cell with no contact with the outside world. We were subjected to daily interrogations and beatings, but we refused to give up our beliefs.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, we were released. We were bruised and battered, but our spirits were unbroken. As we emerged from the prison, we saw that the city buildings were covered in posters of the Generalissimo, praising him as a hero and saviour of the people.

We knew that this was all propaganda, designed to brainwash the people and maintain the Generalissimo's grip on power. The people had been so oppressed and indoctrinated that they believed every word.

As we walked through the city, we saw a group of schoolchildren reciting a chant in honour of the Generalissimo. We couldn't help but feel a sense of sadness and despair. How could this country ever be free when even the youngest generation was being brainwashed?

The citizens continued to live in fear of the government, but they refused to give up their hope for a better future. We knew that one day the people of Cantaroon will rise against the dictatorship and demand their freedom.

But that day seemed a long way off. The Generalissimo has too much power and too many resources at his disposal. He has no qualms about using violence and oppression to maintain his power, and he has no plans to ever step down or allow for democratic reforms.
The international community has turned a blind eye to the suffering of the people of Cantaroon as the country had significant mineral wealth and resources that many countries coveted.

And so, they live in the shadow of dictatorship, hoping for a better future but knowing that it would be a long and difficult road. The people of Cantaroon deserved better, but until the Generalissimo is removed from power, they would continue to live in fear and oppression.

As I walked away, I couldn't help but wonder how much longer the people of Cantaroon would have to suffer under the tyrannical rule of the Generalissimo.

Would there ever be a day when they would be able to live in a free and democratic society? Or would the dictatorship continue to rule for generations to come?

The future was uncertain, but one thing was clear - the people would not give up their fight for freedom. They had suffered for too long, and they deserved a better life. It was up to the international community to take action and support their struggle for democracy and human rights. Only then could the people truly be free.

©Lisa Bassey
April 2023

My trip to Cantaroon is a satirical piece written by Lisa Bassey. Lisa Bassey is a political analyst, podcaster and writer.

(1) (Reply)

Abducted Nasarawa Ex-deputy Gov, Gye-wado, Regains Freedom / A Polish Singer Latest Song To Pay Tribute To Mazi Nnamdi Kanu / Apc Tells Tribunal That Peter Obi Was Not Qualified To Contest Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.